“Blase experience” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hacienda San Angel Gourmet

Hacienda San Angel Gourmet
Reserve with OpenTable
Hacienda San Angel Gourmet is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #76 of 980 Restaurants in Puerto Vallarta
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Puerto Vallarta
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Blase experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

First time there. Service unimpressive and blase, but 20% gratuity added automatically to all bills. While that and more is what I normally tip for a good experience, I did not find this one worthy. We paid it anyway as it's necessary to ask for it to be less, awkward and embarrassing. I arrived first, followed by my friend and I had to stop a waiter each time to ask for drinks, menu, wine list, and after dinner drink. The Mariachi band was unexpected and loud and played a long time. It was difficult to carry on a conversation. I suggest they let people reserving know about the band.
Overall if I was a tourist, I would probably have more positive things to say. As a resident, I probably will not go back. There are many restaurants in PV that have good food and are more welcoming, with better service.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Gardnerville, Nevada
“Great view/great food/wonderful mariachis”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2012

This was our second time at this wonderful place and we again went on a Friday in order to hear their marvelous mariachis. Go early so you can be seated under the stars and enjoy the view of PV from their rooftop. The staff is top notch and the food is delicious and attractively served. It was my birthday so they also sang to me and gave me the chocolate bomb with ice cream as a free dessert. It was superb, and that from someone who is not a chocolate lover! It is a lovely setting and we enjoy the owner's little white dogs who sometimes are allowed to visit you. Parking is a problem so we drive to the downtown covered parking garage and take a taxi to the restaurant. Prices are a little high for PV, but worth it. Explore the boutique hotel attached and you will be enchanted.

• Visited May 2012
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Hidden Gem!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2012

We visited this little restaurant for my birthday in April while on a girl's week to Mexico. The restaurant is very unassuming from the exterior but once you open the door and step inside the world turns magical! Go a bit earlier so you can explore and take in the beauty of the Hacienda and gardens. The restaurant is upstairs and has a side view of the city hillside and ocean. The food is wonderful- we had the sea bass - and the service is excellent. The mariachi band includes a number of stringed instruments which at times makes it sound like a little chamber orchestra! The musicians are very talented and almost all of them can sing! Having them entertain during your meal is a real treat. I was surprised with a birthday dessert and the band came and sang for me at our table- quite wonderful! All in all, this was a very enjoyable evening from food to entertainment to service. The restaurant is a bit on the high side but is a definite must for a special occasion. Just take a taxi up there as it is a climb to walk and all the taxis know where it is. A lovely little gem hidden behind a little brown wooden door! I will definitely take my husband while on our trip next winter.

• Visited April 2012
Montreal, Canada
“Colonial architecture, beautiful setting and memorable dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2012

Real highlight during our stay in PV. Superb decor in this former residence, colonial architecture, courtyards, flowers, antiques and roof top dinning area overlooking PV and the Pacific coast. It is easy to imagine why Richard Burton bought this property in 1963 while shooting "The night of the Iguana" nearby and the magic moments he and Elizabeth Taylor spent there in the sixties.
The ultimate treat is the food. Not one flaw in the quality of the food and the impeccable service. It is Mexican infused international cuisine at its best. We particularly enjoyed the medallion of seared tuna with black sesame seeds and cilantro with balsamic soy sauce, the Pacific lobster tails baked in butter, garlic and paprika and the perfect fine herbs encrusted rack of lamb in green pepper sauce.
Expensive dinner for sure but worth it. We are not Mariachis fans but I should mention the excellent, classy, 12 pieces Mariachi band: harmonious group, surprising voices, not too loud, not too long, Mexican and international music. It matches the environment and makes for a complete evening especially at sunset.

• Visited February 2012
Chicago
“AMAZING !!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2012

We went there because we heard they had a 10 piece mariachi band, which they did. Fantastic!! More classical than expected some of the lead singers brought tears to my eyes they were so inspiring. The food was excellent as well. The wife had twin lobster tails and I had the salmon.

Off beaten path in old town Puerto Vallarta the taxi plied narrow cobble stone streets to get there having to back down a hill once to allow an oncoming vehicle to pass.

The hacidenda/hotel was like an old Spanish monestary, a lot of plantings and burning candles. Picturesque!

Visited April 2012