“Conscientious”

Vallarta Discovery Day Tours
Ranked #100 of 195 Tours in Puerto Vallarta
More attraction details
Owner description: Voted best customer service - Vallarta Discovery tours are more excitement, adventure and mystery than you could experience in a lifetime of travel!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Redhill, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Conscientious”
Reviewed January 7, 2011

We booked two tours through Vallarta Discovery online before we left for Mexico. A couple days after we left one of our tours' time changed. Radames Rodriguez made sure that we got the information one way or another by sending an email and leaving messages on our room phone and also with reception to make sure we got the information and didn't miss our trip.

The whale watching tour we took was with a company that had a nice boat the choice of an awning over an upper deck or sitting in the bow) and great service (including toilets - which some other boats did not have). We saw birds, two stingrays, two jellyfish, numerous whales and dolphins. We really enjoyed our outing and appreciated the effort Radames Rodriguez made to make sure we made it.

Visited December 2010
1 Thank TimTam3

Chicago, Illinois
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Allowed us to see first hand what we would experience prior to the experience!”
Reviewed November 30, 2010

Did a lot of research for our "Long Mexican Weekend". We researched a lot of different on line advertisements but by far were blown away with VallartaDiscovery.Com. If you go to YouTube.Com to a sight called wedidyourhomework , you can see what many of the tours have to offer. Many of the tours we chose were because we were not looking at pictures on line instead we were able to see video covereage of people doing the excursions to see if it is something we may enjoy. There is also a lot of great information about the city of Puerto Vallarta, itself on there as well. I use Trip Advisor often to assist inplanning my trips and this info would have been great help for me when I was planning. Now the family and I cannot wait to go back to PVR.

4 Thank GGk989
Virginia, USA
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Mayto Beach ATV - Shoddy Operation”
Reviewed November 5, 2010

Pros:

Countryside and ocean side was quite beautiful. We stopped at an open-air seaside restaurant that served only seafood. I thoroughly enjoyed the Shrimp Diablo. The meal was very tasty, and the setting was relaxing.

Cons:

Upon arrival at the downtown Puerto Vallarta location, the man at check in informed us (party of 2 & 1) rather curtly that we were an hour late. Incorrect. Our confirmation slip showed check in at 10:00am local time, and we arrived before 10:00am local time. We were prepaid and confirmed in advance.

After providing one driver license and one credit card for our party (of which they made a photo copy), we were led to the street to board a van that had a trailer hitched to it with four ATVs on it. There were four drivers (two others besides our group of 2/1) plus the guide so where was the fifth ATV? Note: the hood on the van was in the raised position but we climbed on in without asking questions about the status of the van nor of the fifth ATV. Alarms should have been ringing but I got caught up in the excitement of the anticipated excursion.

Less than a minute into the van ride we learned we would be taking an hour-long journey to a town where we would begin the actual ATV ‘adventure’. No one, and I mean no one, from this outfit ever gave any indication in advance that at least two hours of our day would be spent leaving/returning to Puerto Vallarta at the beginning and end of the excursion.

Less than five minutes into the journey the vehicle begins to smell like something burning and as the driver pulls over there is a full-on escape of steam from under the hood. The driver pours in bucket after bucket of water to the radiator. We climb back in and continue on our way. Meanwhile, the driver has yet to even turn off the air conditioner on the vehicle. We, the passengers, had to insist that he turn the A/C off in order to help prevent any further over heating.

When we finally arrived in a small town where our ATV excursion would actually begin, it was at least 45 minutes until we were actually under way. Driver/guide had to unload ATVs off of the trailer and some out of a garage (here's the fifth ATV); gas them up; and, hand out road wear.

The website boasts that the novice ATV driver and/or children are welcome. In my mind I’m thinking fairly level, easy terrain. This is NOT the case at all. From the very first descent out of the town the road is extremely uneven, I made note of it to the tour leader, and he assures me this is the roughest, most difficult part of the journey. I foolishly believed him. There are many, many areas of rough terrain that I do not deem suitable for a novice especially with child in tow.

About 20 minutes from the end of the ATV portion of the journey we came across a steep incline of road that is being prepared by a dozer/caterpillar-type device. The so-called road is a mixture of red clay and water. I am halfway up the incline when I steer slightly left to get back on a more even path. At that point the steering locks and I am unable to make a right-turn movement. I am now headed directly toward the inside wall of a hill which has a foot-wide gully alongside. I hit the gully, go up over the handlebars of the ATV, and nose down on the front rung of the luggage rack of the vehicle. It is several minutes before the so-called guide makes his way back down to me. By this time I have righted myself and am sitting in a daze with blood gushing from my nose when the guide asks what’s wrong/what happened. I said ‘I broke my ------- nose’. The guide expected me to continue riding the ATV back to the starting point. Luckily I was traveling with friends who were riding tandem. They split up with one driving me back to the small town, and the other driving my ATV back. Suffice to say, I was offered no first aid, none, except for the ‘drugs‘ the guide said were forthcoming back at the Puerto Vallarta office. He mentioned ‘drugs’ more than once, and each time I chose to ignore his remark. I was not offered even a bottle of water to wash away the blood at the scene. I mean I was offered nothing. Not at the time of incident, not when back in the town where the ATVs were loaded/stored (although I was waved over to a sink basin inside the ATV garage to wash off blood 30 minutes after the incident), not along the drive back into Puerto Vallarta, not when back at the ‘starting point/office’ in Puerto Vallarta. Nothing, no where at any time after the incident. My friends found a store in the small town where they bought a bag of ice and made an ice pack from plastic bags from the store and from dirty/dusty bandanas we had worn all day. It was at least 2.5 hours from the time of the incident until I was safely back onboard the cruise ship where I was treated in the infirmary for a broken nose and other contusions.

Please also note that my ATV had stalled 3-4 times during the day for no known reason (not operator error as it would just die) and the guide was very aware that something was wrong with the vehicle.

Would I recommend this excursion? What do you think??!!

Oh, and least I forget, when my friends had to insist upon the return of the photo copy of their driver license/credit card at the very end of the excursion, the ‘guide’ had the nerve to shake the ------- tip jar at us!!!

3 Thank Shyer
Calgary
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Beware airport pick up”
Reviewed September 27, 2010

We had a disappointing experience with Vallarta Discovery airport pick up service. I read about it on TA and thought we try it. I booked it online, paid, got an e-voucher to give it to the driver. The only problem – the driver never showed up at the airport!
I did include our flight details in the registration, so there was no mistake from our part.
We spent extra 30 min in the airport trying to find that mystical driver (I paid for VIP pick up – our driver was supposed to wait for us with a written sign). Nobody in the airport seemed to ever have heard about Vallarta Discovery pick up.
Save yourself time/grief and use regular taxi services (price difference is immaterial :).
When I wrote to Vallarta Discovery about that incident, they promised to return my money but never did. I did not bother to contact them again. It is not about money really (about $15 or $20, not a big deal) – just spoiled the start of our holiday and I hope you can avoid such disappointment

2 Thank YaFi
New Zealand
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Fantastic Airport Transfer”
Reviewed September 25, 2010

I used this company to transfer me from Puerto Vallarta airport to my hotel. I would definitely use them again. The man who met me had a sign with my name on and was where the company said he would be. I REALLY appreciated this as other tour companies doing transfers have not been as reliable. The ride was quick and the service very good. I had to change my booking twice due to Mexicana airline going bust and then me changing a flight. Each time i got a response within 12 to 24 hours from the company which always helped put my mind at rest. Thoroughly recommend this company.

6 Thank NewZealandKiwiontour