“Bruce = Amazing!”
Review of Teatro Limon

Teatro Limon
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Teatro Limón is Puerto Vallarta's finest interactive dining experience. Sit back and enjoy a relaxing meal or take part in the creation and enjoyment of a gourmet meal designed by (or with) talented Canadian Chef, Bruce Byng. You find no boring fixed menu here, Teatro Limon's innovative plates constantly changing. And while Bruce continually strives to come up with exciting new approaches to beloved classics, he is unwavering in his insistence on premium quality and absolute freshness. Be as involved as you want. Or, Opt to sit back and soak in the good things that come to you in the cheery torch-lit terrace under the stars. Or, make yourself comfortable in the open kitchen and be part of the action. Every cocktail imaginable comes out of the fully stocked bar just the way you like it and wine pairings are suggested, with several vintages available by the glass. All in all, an evening at Teatro Limón is an unforgettable and yes, somewhat theatrical experience, ideal for sharing with family, a group of friends or that special someone. Teatro Limon is located in the heart of Old town on Basilio badillo 229 on the upper level of Cocco's Market Bistro Cafe
Reviewed November 7, 2008

We found the wonderful reviews on Trip Advisor for Teatro Limon and knew we had to try it. Unfortunately we waiting to go until our second to last night in PV and it was such a wonderful experience and incredibly delicious dinner that we had to go back again the following night! Maybe it’s actually fortunate, otherwise we would have gone there every night and probably gained a great deal of weight!

Bruce is a brilliant chef and his wife Julia is so delightful, we really enjoyed getting to know them both. The first night when Bruce asked us what foods we don’t like, my husband said curry and I said nothing too spicy. No problem – we had a wonderful salad with blueberry dressing and goat cheese, a cold crab bisque to die for, duck confit that was unbelievable, and my husband had melt-in-your mouth filet mignon and I had veal in a scrumptious sauce. Ya Ya picked out the perfect bottle of wine to go with dinner. The basil ice cream for dessert was like nothing we’ve ever had and we absolutely loved it! Believe it or not, the wine I was finishing from dinner actually complemented the ice cream perfectly! We told Bruce and Julia we would be back mañana!

The next night they greeted us like old friends and sat us at “our table.” One of the appetizers that Bruce set before us was very mysterious looking. We asked him what it was and he said he’d tell us after we tried it. It was yummy! Even though it was a bit spicy (about as spicy as I can handle without it being TOO spicy) I finished every bite, as did my husband. Bruce then informed us it was curried crab! Very sneaky, Bruce, but thank you for broadening our horizons!

Overall, we have to say it was probably one of our favorite restaurant experiences, not just in Puerto Vallarta, but anywhere in the world! It will definitely be on our must-go list the next time we’re in town.

9  Thank oceaneyyes

Reviewed November 6, 2008

We dined at Teatro Limon on the first day we arrived in PV. The taxi driver had a little difficult time finding the place (it's nestled in a residential area) but the big flames on the outside gave it away. We were there at 6pm, a little early for the usual dinner crowd, so we were able to have the whole place to ourselves. It's almost like having your own chef cooking a personal meal for you, something you would see on a Food channel. I had the most scrumptious duck and lamb. And the whole staff was so kind to my hyperactive 2year old son. I never figured this kind of place as a family friendly, but my son had the best time. He even loved the duck. And the price was very reasonable. Cheaper than Cafe d'Artiste. I think the only thing that would enhance the experience is is you tell them exactly what you like and you don't. I would love to see what he cooks up w/ seafood next time.

6  Thank catseattle1
Reviewed November 6, 2008

On our last night in Puerto Vallarta we decided to try Teatro Limon. I printed out a map to take with us so we knew for sure that we would find it. Luckily we did because the cab driver had no clue were it was. After going down a darker street we came upon a brand new structure with torches burning on the outside. And there it was - Teatro Limon. I knocked on the door and YaYa opened the door and greeted us with a big smile. She asked me if I had reservations and I told her "no". She joked and asked "why?" I told her that I do not know how to use the phone in Mexico and she laughed. There was another group of 4 watching the chef (Bruce) cooking some stuff on the stove that is located as you walk in the door. We sat down and soon after a group of ten walked in and were sat. We let YaYa pick our wine which was a red wine from Chile which was amazing. There are two meal options that you can choose. A three-course meal for $35 or a 5 course meal for $55. (On the night we were there he had an extra course for $10 more.) We all decided to go with the five course meal plus the extra soup. We told Bruce that since he was the chef to cook our meats to which he thought was the best. Our meal consisted of 1. Hot bread out of the oven. 2. A salad with a strawberry(?) dressing. 3. Pistacio crusted duck (cold) 4. A fresh crab bisque 5. A warm duck plate that was amazing (he said that it takes him four days to cook it at 100 degrees) 6. The choice of veal or filet mignon 7. A desert that melted in my mouth. Every single course was very good and well-prepared. Throughout the meal Bruce came over to ask us questions and see how we were doing. One customer even brought in some fresh peppers for Bruce and he whipped up some chili sauce for him that he let us all try. Let me tell you - this meal would have been well over $200 per person in the Las Vegas. And that is without the atmosphere that is provided. I know that when most people travel to Mexico that they usually like to save money. Don't - try this restaurant and and the only thing that you will be upset about is that you can't experience it more often. Great job Bruce and YaYa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. I would make reservations though so that they can prepare enough food for you. Bruce gave me his card and here is the contact info. (if you know how to work the phones in Mexico:)) phone 322-225-2606 email: teatrolimon@gmail.com

7  Thank VegasKen
Reviewed November 5, 2008

After reading the reviews about Teatro Limon in Trip Advisor, we knew we had to get there for dinner on this trip to Vallarta. Hearing that the restaurant was interactive, we thought we would have a good time and have fun at the same time. We were not disappointed at all.

We were greeted at the door and made to feel as though we were going to walk into our best friend's house for dinner. We were late, but the only ones who were uncomfortable about our arrival time was us.

We met Master Chef Bruce and his wife Julia, who created this beautiful place in their own home. They requested our likes and dislikes, our allergies and any other food problems. We were encouraged to get up and go into the kitchen to watch, help, and ask any questions we wanted to

Each course we were served were outstanding and beautifully presented . We began with duck, followed by shrimp, then we had filet mignon and rack of lamb. The meal was topped off by Julia's homemade basil ice cream and our coffee .The taste of each course served to us was beyond belief.

We have eaten in many 5 star and 4 diamond restaurants, not only in Vallarta but all over the world, We plan to make Teatro Limon a "must" on our next trip here, and not only for a single visit!

What a treat and an evening that we will long remember and talk about when we get back to New York.

3  Thank steelking
Reviewed October 15, 2008

We live in Las Vegas, and travel to P.V. several times a year for the sea, the green, the humidity and if we're lucky, the rain. We discovered Chef Bruce and the Back Alley Restaurant early on and were quite sorry when he sold it. "I have another idea", he said.

Last week as we were walking on the Malecon, a familiar voice called to us and we met Bruce and his lovely wife Julia at another restaurant. He told us his "idea" had come to fruition and gave us his new address. We instantly made reservations, and frankly this was the high-light of this trip.

Theatro Limon is in his house in Amara, near the Montessori School. Enter through a torch-lit patio, into a huge dining room with an island kitchen to your left. Be seated by a marvelous staff, and the "theater" begins. Bruce was already pretty much aware of our likes and dislikes from our previous experience with "Bruce's Back Alley", but he joined us while cocktails were ordered to explain his "idea", and check on gross dislikes or allergies which we may have. He introduced us to the other guests present, then the parade of perfectly prepared and beautifully presented dishes started rolling toward all our tables.

Several tables of large groups were also present, one with two small girls about five and six respectively, and everyone watched or assisted while Bruce created five courses of incredibly complex and delicious food. At one point Bruce brought a chair into the kitchen to provide the younger of the two girls the necessary height to help prepare a velvety Mornay sauce to accompany perfectly grilled medallions of filet mignon.

Dinner ended with a marvelous Basil Ice Cream made daily by Julia, accompanied by a small Baklava. Afterwards we smoozed with the other guests and then closed the restaurant while trading tales and drinks with Bruce and Julia, and the lovely staff. Allow YaYa to select a wine for you, she's uncanny.

So, is it a great haute cuisine restaurant? A party? A cooking show ala Mario Batali or Tyler Florence? Yes. It is Theatro Limon.

5  Thank bay-lights