“Amazing food”
Review of Encanto

Encanto
Ranked #211 of 1,036 Restaurants in Puerto Vallarta
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 17, 2013

This was the best restaurant! The food was amazing (try the coconut shrimp!), the presentation beautiful, portions great, all served with grace and elegance. A gem tucked away in old Vallarta, seek it out, you'll be happy you did.

There are newer reviews for Encanto

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Situated on a residential street away from the usual tourist eating establishments, this restaurant is on my "must visit list" each time I go to Puerto Vallarta. I have been here more than six times and have never been disappointed. On my January visit the service was a little slow but the resulting meal was as delicious as always.

Encanto was originally opened by a Chicago couple who uprooted and moved back to the U.S. They sold to their Mexican staff and I am delighted to say that the excellent standards of food and service have been well maintained without the slightest glitch.

The flavouring on all the dishes that I have tried have always had great subtlety, which helps distinguish it from the run of the mill Mexican fare available elsewhere. For appetizer my girlfriend and I love the Brie and Peach Quesadillas, contrasted aptly with a Chipotle salsa. I also love the Corn Cakes, served on a spicy green salsa and the Crab Cakes, served with an avocado sauce. On many of my visits I have often chosen for my main course the Seafood Chile Rellenos - a pepper stuffed with shrimp, fish and scallops. The portion is very generous. My girlfriend has usually ordered the Fish of the Day or the Coconut Shrimp.

On my last visit in June, we arrived a little late but were still greeted with a genuine sense of welcome. June is a funny time of year - a little late for the American/Canadian tourist season and a little early for traditional Mexican holiday time. Therefore they were not greatly busy. Rather than carry food inventory that was not at its peak freshness, their professionalism dictates that they will not serve anything that they are not proud of. Again another brilliant meal at this restaurant. Will be back in September.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

We had another wonderful dinner at Encanto Restaurant in Puerto Vallarta. This little gem is up Achiles Serdan side street in old town. Just keep going up - you will find it on the right almost at the tunnel entrance. The staff is very welcoming. I again ordered my favourite appetizer - crab cakes, and my partner had corn cakes and quesadillas made with peach and brie. SO tasty! My main meal was their special mahi mahi recipe with perfectly prepared vegetables. The atmosphere is charming and the decor lovely. You would think it is expensive because of the setting and service, but it was no more than the ordinary restaurants serving enchilladas. You will need a reservation in high season but not the rest of the year. It is really worth a visit.

Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

This little jewel is in my opinion one of Vallarta's finest. They start you with a wonderful salsa and chips. The salsa is not a standard or common salsa, prepared with many of the normal ingredients but also with some corn and fruits. A great, light and refreshing version of chips and salsa which I would definitely like to see more of. We also started with the corn cakes which I tell you are simply wonderful. Tasty, and unlike flavors that are common and truly delightful. Also we tried the quesadillas that has fresh fruit inside and we have never tried anything like them. For the main courses we had the pork, chicks and coco shrimp. All were impeccably prepared and delicious. You cannot go wrong with Encanto. I highly recommend.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Tucked away on Aquiles Serdan 5 blocks east of Insurgentes (the main street of Vallarta going North from the Gringolandia (the south end of the city) Encanto provides friendly service, superb appetizers and fine entrees in just the right proportions.

Situated in a typical Mexican family neighborhood one can share in the ambience of real Mexico while enjoying a meal of excellence at prices that are affordable to all.