Chez Elena
Ranked #165 of 1,055 Restaurants in Puerto Vallarta
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Mexican dishes on the menu are pretty good, I wish I could try more of them. Chicken mole was great, so was my friend's pork. Margaritas from the roof bar are excellent - make sure you are there in time for a sunset. Waiters are friendly, I'd say outright chatty.
Minor problem, as with many places in Mexico - steer clear of their coffee, it's the usual luke-warm brown liquid. Better get another beer.
Oh, and to answer someone in this thread who was unhappy on not being allowed to enter with a dog - well done the owner! Dogs spoil so much of what is good about PV; I would not dream of going to a restaurant where dogs are allowed. This is not a hunting lodge.

1  Thank vmilman

Reviewed February 24, 2013

On my first trip to Puerto Vallarta 15 years ago, I was directed to Chez Elena and its "El Nido" rooftop bar. It became my favorite place in PV and we typically went twice during each week's visit. It wasn't fancy, it wasn't an "in" place, but the views were spectacular, the drinks were tasty, the food was well prepared and always excellent, and the service was second to none. Add in an owner, Gloria, who comes to your table to say hi and check on you, and it was a quaint and special place.

This year we did all the same things, but it just didn't feel the same. The drinks on the rooftop were good, the waiter was fine, but maybe not as friendly. The restaurant only had one other table of guests, as well as Gloria and two others at a table. The waiter did his job just fine, bringing each thing we requested and checking on us once we'd received our meal. But he certainly didn't have the personality or charisma of those who've been there before. The food was also fine -- I had the fish veracruzana, which I have every time I go. My companion had the chicken fajitas (something to get away from all the shrimp and fish we've been having) and it was satisfactory, but nothing special. I will continue to go to Chez Elena until I hear that it has been sold and changed, but now I will probably not look forward to it as the restaurant highlight of my week.

1  Thank letrips66
Reviewed February 22, 2013

This is a must when visiting the beautiful city of Puerto Vallarta. This is not your typical tourist trap. Located just a few blocks off the Malecon this is well worth the effort to find. It is a small hotel and restaurant with a rooftop terrace. There are lots of beautiful plants and a reflecting pool. We went here often to overlook the city and watch the sunset. There are quite a few steps up to the terrace but it is a gorgeous view. We also ate at the restaurant and thought the food was Excellent.

2  Thank BettySchmitt
Reviewed February 12, 2013

This little restaurant is a real find and we ate there about 3 times and each meal was excellent. The grilled fish is a must, as is the pork.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Extremely unfriendly! I wouldn't go back there if I was paid to. We had a King Charles Spaniel on a leash. Cats were everywhere. We were turned away because dogs cause allergies. Rude lady.