“The only restaurant we returned to during our vacation”
Review of Rio Grande

Rio Grande
Ranked #94 of 1,055 Restaurants in Puerto Vallarta
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 30, 2013

This restaurant was highly recommended by my brother who vacations in PV yearly. At first glance, it is an unassuming place and could easily be overlooked. However, the food is delicious, the service friendly and attentive, and the prices reasonable. When my son was unsure of what kind of fish to order, they brought out a small dish for him to try. We are guacamole and margarita fiends, and after a week of dining out comparisons, their versions were truly the best! The steak cooked over the wood fired grill was delicious, and the traditional Mexican dishes were truly enjoyed. Put this restaurant on your go-to list when visiting PV.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

We went here twice this visit and once last year. Last year my friend and I shared one of the huge fresh whole red snapper cooked on the wood fired grill. It was awesome. This year, no one in our group wanted snapper and there is no way I could eat a whole one, so I opted for a fillet of snapper. it was also delicious. The second visit was for the tortilla soup, since we'd seen another party eating it and it looked great. It is a tomato base and you get to add in whatever you wish: tortilla strips, fresh avocado, onions, and sour cream. Again, delicious. The wait staff was very good - we will return for sure!

Reviewed March 19, 2013

After trying many seafood restaurants that our hotel and others recommended, we were very disappointed and frustrated! We live on the west coast so we are used to the best and freshest seafood. We walked by the Rio Grande a couple of times and the smells were inviting and tantalizing. As the store front is unassuming you don't realize what culinary treats are being prepared inside.

We were greeted by friendly and eager to please staff. The cream of shrimp soup was like nothing we have ever tasted before....I ordered a large scallop cocktail....so good and plentiful.
My husband had ribeye steak which was cooked over a mesquite fire grill to perfection. The taste was incredible. He ordered the shrimp with it and they were jumbo along with the best baked potato. They served a basket of bread with dinner and the margaritas were authentic (no sugary syrup).

When questioning our server, Alex, he explained that the restaurant has been established for 30 years. Rio Grande is our new favorite restaurant in Puerto Vallarta...thank you!!

2  Thank DannyBoy8629
Reviewed March 16, 2013

My wife and I just happened on Rio Grande on our first night in PV. It was a great find.
The service was very friendly and attentive, and also professional.
And the food was delicious. Very fresh. We both had shrimp dishes. While they advertised the "baby", they were larger than jumbo shrimp in most restaurants in the US. And they were very generous servings - at least 18 of them in the dish - especially for the price. Simply but well prepared. The tortilla soup was also very good and generous.
Not much atmosphere, but pleasant enough. Looks like a family owned place, which we greatly prefer to a chain. On the main drag, at the north end of downtown. We'd gladly go again.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

I when there to have fresh fish. In the menu they have a hold red snapper in the wood fire for 240 pesos,so i order it. When they bring me the dinner was only half of the fish in one side of my plate and of the other side was the middle bone :( Not very tasty with some overcook rice and some broccoli that taste it like it come out of the freezer.. I eat only the fish but it was so small that i left hungry. I had to stop to the corner taco stand to fill up. Very disappoint. We spend 15 days in Puerto Vallarta and that was the only place i have complain about.