“What an evening!!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of De Santos

De Santos
Ranked #201 of 980 Restaurants in Puerto Vallarta
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Large groups, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Des Moines, Iowa
“What an evening!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2014

We have driven by De Santos so many times, but finally stopped in to have dinner on August 1st, 2014. The menu looked very nice and we were completely blown away!

The wine list is quite nice with a nice assortment of wines and the Reserve Chardonnay that we chose was delightful.

We selected as our 1st course: the Beef Carpaccio with Gnocchi. The cream sauce was divine and the presentation was very nice. Great combination of flavors. 2nd Course: Tempura Portobello Mushroom stuffed with Shrimp and cheese. Very generous portion, they used a HUGE mushroom cap. One order is enough for 4-6 people, very rich and filling. The sauce that came with this dish was a perfect addition. 3rd Course: Arugula Leaf Served With Corn
Heart of Palm, Cherry Tomatoes, Artichoke Heart and deSantos dressing. The dressing was wonderful and so was all of the fresh ingredients that were incorporated into this salad. 4th Course: Penne al Prosciutto, Con Salsa, Serrano Ham, special mushrooms. This was by far the most amazing pasta dish that we've enjoyed in any restaurant in Puerto Vallarta! The flavor was just pure silk and delight.

In addition to our fantastic meal, we would like to state that the service was by far the best that we have had in Puerto Vallarta. I was a professional waiter for 30+ years and caterer for some time as well. The wait staff was beyond exemplary! For the two of us, we had 2 to 3 waitstaff that were very attentive to our dining experience without being intrusive to our experience.

We live in Puerto Vallarta full time and have many friends and family that come to visit us, this will be at the top of the list for any of our guests to try!

Thank you so much for an amazing evening! Oh...I almost forgot that they have a wonderful rooftop patio and Flamingo Dancing on certain nights! Please try them out, you won't be disappointed!

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank bearboy1966

Salem, Oregon
“OMG! This place is amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2014

We were just looking for a restaurant that was close to our hotel and stumbled upon De Santos. Were we ever glad we did! The salads were so fresh - my husband had the Arugula salad and I had the Baby Spinach salad. The pastas were also excellent - both the Tagliatelle pasta and the Spaghetti Pomodora were freshly made and perfect portions. And finally, the dessert - we had the creme brule. Oh my! The interior looks as if it is an old converted building. But in actuality, they are all imported! Be sure to check out the doors - over 100 years old! The sideboard is beautiful as is the bar. I didn't go in, but was told that the tiles in the bathrooms are identical to those in Grand Central Station. The man at the greeting station speaks perfect English and is more than happy to tell you all about it. All in all, the best - by far - dinner we had the entire 2 weeks in PV!

• Visited June 2014
Johnston, Iowa
“A Great Place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2014

A little hidden with a mall surrounding it...but within walking distance from our hotel. The restaurant had great charm! As my husband and I were reading the menu posted outside in their nice outdoor eating area, the host came out to invite us in. He was very well spoken and suggested the popcorn shrimp with sauce appetizer...a chicken, cowboy steak, Mahi mahi, or tuna steak. He was so friendly that we happily gave the restaurant a try...and ordered what he suggested. The popcorn shrimp appetizer was incredible! We wanted to go back each day just for that appetizer. Well, we had to go back a 2nd time to try the other entrees anyway! So we ate here twice and loved it both times. The service was very good too!

• Visited June 2014
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
“GOOD, BUT NOT GREAT”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I are full time residents of PV and are originally from New York. We had lived in the West Village and there was a De Santos a couple blocks from our home, which we had gone to several times and always enjoyed the dining experience. There was, and I believe still is, a De Santos branch on the Upper East Side of Manhattan. Before we had moved to PV, the branch near our home had closed and we missed it. The De Santos branch in PV is in the Peninsula Plaza, near where many Americans live. So, we were thrilled when we learned that there was a De Santos in PV. We first went in March and were quite pleased with the food and service. The interior dining room is very large and most tables are very spacious. The decor is interesting and inviting with just a touch of Mexicana. There is also a small outdoor dining area, that is not so great. During our last visit, our server was a young man, who looked about 17 years old and barely spoke any English. I ordered two starters, and waited quite a long time for the first one. When I finally received my second started, it was about another 20 minutes later. Our server, during our entire visit, looked grim without a single smile , and the impression we got from him was that he acted like he was doing us a favor by waiting on us. I finally got disgusted and cancelled my entree, and the server appeared very annoyed and tried to tell us that the entree was about to come out of the kitchen. I left De Santos disgusted and in a bad mood. We shall probably return but I will insist on a better server. You would think, with so many Americans (and some Canadians) living in the immediate area, that management would ensure that their servers could properly communicate with diners.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Frank G
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Umm, one sentence to sum it up? I can in one word...Awful!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stopped by here because it was convienent to our hotel, the outdoor patio looked nice and we just wanted a quick bite to eat.
First I'll try as hard as I can to give some positive's on this place. As I mentioned the patio was nice. The service was pretty good, they were working with what they had. The bread and humus was pretty good and my wife enjoyed the peach martini. That's the list.
The bad... and boy was it bad. We just each order a basic burger and fries, nothing fancy, just a simple safe meal. Wrong! They brought each of us a half of a burger? Ok, obviously there was a communication snafu. Wierd, but understandable I suppose and in the end it was a blessing. The burger... ugh! the burger. Chewy? Oh it was that! Strange looking specks in the patty? Oh yeah! And that was after one bite! Undaunted by the first experience I summoned my inner Andrew Zimmerman from the Travel Channel's "Bizzare Foods," and went back for more. What happened next will forever be known in our house as the "thing in the thing!" After I took a couple chews on my second attempt at this thing I noticed something not quite right. There was something a bit, umm, rubbery in my mouth. I quickly spit it out and looked at my wife. She had just par taken in her anagural bite of this culinary fiasco and had a look similar to the taste in my mouth... foul! I decided further investigation was warranted. I sorted through my previously discarded bite like a coroner seventh grader dissecting a frog. What I found was "the thing." I'm telling myself it is gristle. That's really all I can do at this point. It was rubbery, about an inch and a half long, grey in color and slightly curly. Check please!
How this place is number 98 on trip advisor is scary. I guess it could be number 98 on the adventure tours section, but not restaurants. Spare yourself and anyone you love from another "thing." There's so much better in PV!

• Visited April 2014