New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Comfortable Solace in Perfect Downtown Location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Loro de Oro Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mazatlan
Loro de Oro Inn
Ranked #4 of 49 Mazatlan B&B and Inns
Portland, OR
“Comfortable Solace in Perfect Downtown Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed with Tony and Lucy for a week in March. We stayed in the suite and the room was great! The stained glass doors and carved wood bed were definitely my favorite features. The inn is located in a perfect spot, just a block from historical Plaza Machado where there are tons of great sidewalk cafe restaurants, a few quick blocks to the cathedral and big shopping area and quick walk to the beach and malecon. My husband and I walked to the beach every night and sat on the wall at the malecon at sunset and it was heavenly! Tony and Lucy were great hosts! Tony helped us book a trip on his friend's awesome 1957 sailboat that was the highlight of our trip and set up some great guys to take us out fishing much cheaper than the tour companies in town were asking. Lucy was so sweet and when I got sunburned called the pharmacy and spoke to them in Spanish to get me the best stuff for it and even had them deliver it to us. We will definitely be back to stay with them again and we are so looking forward to it already! Also, we loved their cats and two little dogs! And while Lucy's restaurant is no longer open they have another restaurant in the space that was quite good so you still have a restaurant on the property if you are feeling lazy. Topolo is right across the street was our favorite restaurant in Mazatlan and possibly anywhere!

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RoseCityRamblers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Hollywood, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2012

After finding an unbelievable last-minute deal on a flight Wednesday night - I found myself in Mazatlan Thursday afternoon.

After spending time visiting and catching up with various friends and grabbing a late dinner - I realized that I was way past the hour of reasonably checking in anywhere and found myself in an awkward position... I had not booked a hotel.

I dragged my suitcase from Ice Box Hill, through Plazuela Machado, and arrived at the door of Loro de Oro well after 10:00 pm; and was greeted with a broad smile and immediately welcomed, despite the late hour.

Tony, the proprietor, led me to one of his studio suites, gave me a quick tour of the amenities, and bid me good night.

I've stayed at many hotels in Mazatlan; Hotel Belmar, La Siesta, Old Mazatlan Inn, Posada Freeman, and the Inn at Mazatlan among them...

LORO DE ORO is TOP OF THE LINE.

The kitchenette had a full size refrigerator, rather than the typical dorm-style of many places. Also, the stove is the perfect size, not so large that it fills the room - but not so small that you can't have two things happening at once. Let me also mention that, unlike many kitchenettes you find in hotels and B&B's - the utensils and cooking ware that Tony and Lucy stock are very user friendly and a pleasure to cook with.

The shower had excellent water pressure and the hot water was an endless stream of perfection; which is not the norm in many Mazatlan hotels.

Immediately upon laying down on the king size bed, I sank into the comfortable mattress and soon found myself drifting off to a night of perfect sleep.

When I woke up in the morning, well rested and ready to face the day - I had the first opportunity to really soak in the atmosphere that Lucy and Tony have created. Comfortable, safe, and understated elegance are words that immediately come to mind.

Immediately outside the door of my room is a common area and lounge that is a marvelous living room - and a true extension of the hospitality I've enjoyed for years at their restaurant.

Nowhere in Mazatlan have I found a better library with such a diverse collection of reading material. I found titles ranging from Hemingway to Danielle Steele, and was surprised to find myself lounging on the couch and browsing through the pages of various books before I remembered that I was in Mazatlan, and needed to be out enjoying the city.

In addition to comfortable couches, chairs, and books - there were also board games to be enjoyed after a long day spent enjoying the sights, sounds and tastes of Mazatlan.

LOCATION is PERFECT. Located a few short steps from the excitement of Plazuela Machado, but it feels like a world away from the plaza when you are ready to call it a night and revel in the silence of a place that truly feels like home.

Did I mention free Wi-Fi? Not just free Wi-Fi - but one of the strongest, uninterrupted signals I've ever experienced in Mexico.

The swimming pool is exceptional, Tony's hand crafted bar a sight to behold; and the conversations with Tony and Lucy are always a joy.

Most "how to succeed in business" books advise readers to find one thing, focus on that, and be the best.

The authors of those books have never met Tony and Lucy - and never enjoyed the hospitality of Loro de Oro, or the incredible meals at Te Amo Lucy's. If they ever do; they will amend their writing to delcare that, at least in the case of Loro De Oro... Tony and Lucy do two things exceptionally well - and we are all better off for it.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank TVtraveler15
Mazatlan, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2012

This was the third year we stayed at the INN for a month in January. The room we booked was overbooked for 2 days, so they put us up in their best room which was a super start to our "get-away-from-winter-blues vacation. Loro de Oro is half a block from the Machada Square which features local Mexican artists and good restuarants, yet is the quietest hotel we have stayed at in Mazatlan. Tony and Lucy run a very friendly establishment and the food is muy bueno! Extras are a barbecue, pool and heated jacuzzi and a fabulous rooftop. We have really enjoyed our stays here and hopefully will continue to enjoy many, many more holidays at Loro de Oro. Tony is an American, Lucy is Mexican, so both languages are covered.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank ArthurGooding
whidbey island washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2012

Tony and Lucy are great hosts and own Te Amo Lucy located in the front of the B and B. Centrally located in the heart of the Plaza Machado area. The room was very spacious and clean. They were very accomodating provided us with great info. He is American and she is Mexican.
The food at the Te Amo Lucy is fabulous.
We were there for 5 nights and loved the location and feeling of saftey. Unfortunately the press is giving Mazatlan a bad name. We were out walking every evening and never had a problem. We love this Centro Historical area as there is something going on every night in the Machado.

Room Tip: Our room was the largest with a living room and kitchen for extended stays. Walter (the cat) lets h...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank oscarita
Port Townsend, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2011

You can get anything you want at Loro de Oro Inn. I just stayed there for a month. The owners, Tony and Lucy, are welcoming and extremely helpful and respond to requests immediately. It has a large jacuzzi and a common room. WIFI is available throughout. The rooms even have cooking facilities, fans, TVs, and air conditioners. Mine had a balcony. The rooms are comfortable and quiet so you get to be in the middle of El Centro and less than a block from Plaza Machado and yet have your own quiet escape. It is also a safe place in a safe neighborhood. It is convenient to many, many places in Mazatlan including Olas Altas beach, the theatre, Nidart, Casa Etnica, Plaza Machado, Plaza Republica, the Mercado, a full service quick stop store, a lavenderia, and buses that go everywhere in Mazatlan stop 1/2 block away. The price is excellent and better than competitive. It is a charming place to stay and I would choose it again and again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank evaesq
Seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2011

We stayed here for 4 days in April. Tony upgraded us to the beautiful suite. The decor in the suite is wonderful, from the furnishings to the gorgeous leaded doors opening into the bedroom. Yes, there are a few 'niceties' that could be added and are usually provided at most inns and B&B's: a hairdryer, some nicer bath soap, maybe some lotion and shampoo. The kitchen was well equipped with glassware, toaster, large fridge and cook stove, however we would have loved a blender for making fruit smoothies and drinks. Very quiet at night, but the bed had one of those thick foam pads which proved to be too soft and warm for us, so we took it off completely the 2nd night. However some people that like a soft cushy bed might really like it. Otherwise we slept soundly. The upstairs top deck is great for afternoon lounging and reading and looking over the city. Close to everything, great art galleries nearby and a great restaurant on site. PLUS, really reasonable prices and free Internet.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank CathandDave
San Diego
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2011

This is an adorable establishment in the delightful historic center of Mazatlán. It is a half block from Plaza Machado, a lively area with many things to see and do. The inn is run by an American named Tony. When we arrived we were disappointed that things were not exactly as Tony had led us to believe. For example, by our fourth day we still had not had our rooms cleaned. When we asked, Tony dismissively told us that the maid was on her way and sarcastically asked if we wanted him to empty the garbage for us? We needed to make a local call and were told to walk to the nearest pay phone on the corner. We were asked to make no noise as there was a permanent boarder who slept late each day. We were told if we used towels for makeup removal we would be charged for them. Asking for an additional roll of toilet paper, Tony begrudgingly delivered one to our room. When we asked him for recommendations of an authentic place for a meal we were told that he (Tony) never ate anywhere in the area as he was very selective about food.

A positive note was his wife's restaurant, I Love Lucy's, adjacent to the inn. Wonderful food and charming surroundings and Lucy herself was delightful and an outstanding cook.

During our stay in this section of town we did investigate other places that seemed to be very well received by travelers we ran into and perhaps, all things considered a better value.

Stayed March 2011, traveled with family