“Wonderful Fun!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sea Garden Mazatlan

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mazatlan
Sea Garden Mazatlan
You added Sea Garden Mazatlan to your Saves list
Ranked #17 of 80 Hotels in Mazatlan
Prescott, Arizona
“Wonderful Fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2009

After reading some of the negative reviews, my husband and I were a little apprehensive about our upcoming week stay at The Sea Garden - Mazatlan. We needn't have worried. From arrival to departure, our stay was wonderful.

Exactly as promised, Sea Garden sent transportation to pick us up at the ariport. It was about a 30-minute ride to the hotel, which is the last hotel north of the city. Our driver explained that it was Mexican Holy Week, and we should be prepared for huge crowds and lots of traffic. However, our two ventures into town were early enough that there really was no difficulty with crowds or traffic. In fact, it was quite pleasant. THE WEATHER WAS ABSOLUTE PERFECTION!! It was about 84-degrees each day. Heaven!

Our one bedroom suite was in the new Mayan Palace building. It was gorgeous, and had a spectacular view of the ocean. We spent a lot to time just staring out into the ocean. It was so relaxing. Thge suite was very nicely furnished, and had a nice little kitchen. (There is a little convenience store downstairs where you can get coffee and everything you need to stock up.) The bed was firm, but very comfortable.

All but one night, we ate elsewhere. There are two restaurants within walking distance. One is La Palapa which is in the Torres (I think) hotel just south of Sea Garden. The other is the fun palapa restaurant at Playa Brujas, just north of the hotel. You walk on the beach about 25 minutes to get to it, and the coconut shrimp and lobster are unbelievable. We ate mostly at hotel. The food is pretty average, but we didn't want to venture out at night with the crazy Holy Week traffic. One night we did order a pizza and salad from room service, and it was delicious.

During the day, we mostly stayed around the hotel. We went to Mazatlan to relax, not to party. Days were spent by the pool or on the nice beach. My husband is a surfer, but instead of his board, he brought his surf mat. He had a ball going out every morning and afternoon. The waves weren't much, but they were fun!

Would we go back again? Absolutely. In fact, we are already planning another trip!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank surfwid

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Charlotte, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2009

My 8-year old daughter and spent Spring Break at the Mayan Sea Garden in Mazatlan this year - our first visit here - and were impressed with the resort. It is right on the beach, the grounds and pool are beautiful, the rooms are comfortable and stylish, most amenities are provided or readily available, and the staff is extremely friendly and helpful. This hotel is on the north end of town away from the busy Golden Zone, which was my preference. It was quiet, but only 5-10 minutes from anything you want to see or do.

At check-out, I was surprised at how LOW our room charges bill was. Very affordable - even when you're not aiming for that.

Tip - visit the Sun Shop (sundries shop) around 8 AM each morning for freshly baked bolillos, doughnuts, and other fresh pastries - still warm and flaky from the oven. Bliss!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank Jill_in_Charlotte_NC
Cincinnati, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2009

The Mayan Sea Garden is wonderful - great pool/great beach. Nice workout facility. Clean rooms. THe only downside is food/restaurant service - it was pretty slow most of the time. We would highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bunkerrobertson
Sacramento, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2009

Just returned from a week's vacation at the Sea Garden - my second time there. I was looking forward to good service, no stress and a pleasant experience in a casual environment. Reality was not exactly what I had planned.

Upon arrival (a day late due to Mexicana Air problems with our flights), we were told there were no ocean views left at the registration desk. When I complained about that, they let me look at 2 rooms - one had a view of construction and one a fabulous view of the beach and ocean - except it was obviously a smoking room by the odor. I told registration I wanted a room like the 2nd one, but non-smoking. He assured me that none of their rooms were smoking and that I was mistaken - which shocked me - my nose still works. I told him there was not only a definite stench in the room, but ashtrays - and the bellman who escorted us to the room confirmed that. Suddenly, the check in guy "found" a room just like this one on another floor and told me it would be ready in 1 hour - ridiculous to have gone through all of that. After checking in, they had us meet with the welcome person who asked us to take an "owners tour" (I've owned Grand Mayan quite happily for 4.5 years). Since I'm getting married in June and was not there with my finance, I told Edna at the desk that I was not going to upgrade. She assured me this was just an information tour for owners only - and I would get 10% off my bill, a free dinner and city tour for me, my daughter and my friend who was travelling with us.

Next morning, Alexis met us and took us to breakfast before the tour - she said "fill up your plates because you can only go to the buffet once" - which seemed rather rude. My daughter and our friend got omelettes are were berated by Alexis - she said "you shouldn't have gotten the omelettes - it took too long.!" During the tour, I also explained to Alexis that i was happy with my current Mayan ownership and would not want to upgrade at this time. She said "at the end be sure to tell the manager that you see value in the upgrades." I explained I would not lie about something like that - yes, there could be value for others, but not for me. At the end, the manager, Marciella, was brought in - when i explained that I was not interested in upgrading at this time she said "you're exactly the kind of person that we love because those that say they don't want to upgrade always do." I assured her that would not be me and she said "if you don't upgrade than Alexis will lose her job." I was shocked and said "are you threatening me?" and asked for the manager. He suggested, when i complained, that I write about this on an evaluation sheet. Instead, I spoke with the concierge, Armando, to ask for the General Manager and was told he was out of town. When hearing my story, he offered me a free massage and an apology from Marciella. Neither ever appeared and the concierge disappeared...

I will never stay at the Mayan Sea Garden again, nor will I ever take a Mayan timeshare tour and I hope no one else who reads this will either.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
6 Thank GlobalGal47
Vancouver, BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2009

Firstly, The Mayan Sea Garden consists of 4 older buildings(small rooms) and a Mayan Regency building (larger more luxurious rooms). There are future plans for two more buildings and possibly the tearing down of the oldest building, I think.

My wife and I stayed at the Sea Garden Mazatlan for 2 weeks in Feb 2009 and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Our room was older and small, but once we re-arranged furniture and settled in, it was really good.

We were lucky as Carnaval ( http://www.carnavalmazatlan.net/) happened during our stay. The parade was exciting and it was a big celebration for Mazatlan. People came to town from all over Mexico.
The Staff were always very helpful and the rooms were in pretty good shape considering it is an older resort. Everything worked and if it didn't, they fixed it right away. Our room was in one of the older buildings and had 2 bedrooms and a kitchenette. We had a partial ocean view from the balcony which was good and an awesome ocean view from our room entrance. The bathroom was small but had a huge shower. The sink was separate from the toilet and shower room. The Master had a King size bed and the 2nd bedroom had two singles. We used it as a changing room.
We mostly cooked breakfast or just had cereal and fruit each day and if we stayed at the resort (pool day), we made lunch in our room too. Food was so reasonable at MEGA. We love to try different cuisine, so we did eat out a lot in town or at a lovely quiet restaurant near Cerritos which we walked to on the beach. It was great to watch dolphins and sunsets from here.
We also would sometimes plan a stop at Mega on our way back from a sightseeing trip to town to pick up shrimp for dinner (124.90 Pesos a kilo). Awesome!!! I also became a master at making beef quesadillas.

I can't comment much on the restaurants at the Sea Garden (we usually ate while we were out or in our room) except that they were always busy breakfast, lunch and dinner. We did have a drink at the pool once and had lunch on our last day while waiting for King David to take us to the Airport (return trip 290.00 pesos for 2). It was a sad day because we were leaving, but the awesome burger we had by the pool, watching the waiters feed the resident Iguana some canteloupe, eased the pain a bit. All prices I saw on the room service menu, pool snack bar and restaurant menu seemed reasonable to me even with the mandatory 15% tip added. Our lunch was around 250.00 pesos and was very good.
The swimming pools were all great. The two pools we frequented were near our building and were definitely heated. The main pool was always crowded and lot's of people were swimming so I assume it was heated too. I did dip my foot in that pool one day on my way to the beach and it felt warm. The pools, gardens, building hallways and all guest areas were always very clean and tidy.

If you go, you have to check out the model suites for their next addition to the Sea Garden. They are incredible! We didn't take the sales presentation which was offered at check in and twice during our stay, but we did wander through these suites on our own. They are at the end of the main pool near the sales centre.

The Resort is a good distance from the Golden Zone (Zona Dorada) and downtown, but is a quiet retreat if you want one. I would recommend this resort to anyone interested in R & R. There are some activities put on by the Resort if you are interested.
Below are some tips we learned while we were there:

Taxi's & other Transport:

After you book, Email the Sea Garden concierge from their Website and tell them when you are arriving, they wil most likely offer to pick you up at the airport. They use King David Transportation which is excellent. Our plane was delayed 2 1/2 hours and they were there waiting for us!!! Awesome tour company (We did the Tequila Factory tour), I would recomend them for any tours they offer.

Be sure to get a list of Taxi rates when you check in.

Taxi rates are fixed, we were told. Pulmonia (open air Volkswagen "Thing") rates are sometimes negotiable depending on the time of day and where you are going (IE: If the chance of getting a fare back is good, your ride will be cheaper). Rule of thumb they are usually cheaper than a cab but, if you think it's too much, try another Pulmonia to get a comparison or just don't be so cheap, you are on vacation. Most Pulmonias have loud stereos and you can request what you want to hear if they have it. Taking a Pulmonia at night can be a chilling experience, hence the translation: Pulmonia = Pnemonia.

If you are comfortable with the local buses, use them. They stop right out front and charge 5.50 (pesos) - 8.00 (pesos). The 8.00 peso bus is air conditioned. Buses run back and forth about every 5 minutes up until 9:00 -10:00 pm or so. I don't know how early they start.

Basics for buses:

Try to find a bus stop if you can, but the bus will stop anywhere it's safe to do so, just wave your hand. Likewise at the bus stop, wave your hand if it is the bus you want, if not step back from the curb.

Sabalo Centro - This bus goes all the way downtown to the market and a little further.
Cerritos / Juarez - This bus goes to Valentino's just before the start of the Sea Wall (Malecon) and then turns left to Mega, Sam's Club and The Gran PLaza Mall. We would catch this one to Mega, shop and then cross the street to catch it back to The Sea Garden (Cerritos). Sometimes we would walk to MacDonald's as there is a bus stop there and it is safer for the bus to stop. If you buy lot's of groceries, take a Pulmonia or cab back (S/B about 80.00 pesos), the bell boy will carry all your groceries to your room. We tipped him for this service.
There are lots of other buses you will see after Mega, we didn't use any of these, but I imagine they will take you almost anywhere in Mazatlan. One even goes all the way to the airport.

Go here for a pretty good list of bus routes: http://www.mazinfo.com/visitors/busroute1.html

*Any questions, please email me and I will try to answer them. Any information I have given is our experience and always subject to change (That's the beauty of going to Mexico, it's always a learning experience.)

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Dineric
Marshalltown, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2009

Words can't begin to describe how pleased we were with the Mayan Sea Garden, Mazatlan. We are senior citizens, plus my husband was just two weeks into recovery
from a broken ankle and unable to bear any weight on that leg. The staff was so friendly and helpful. They provided us with a wheelchair for our entire stay, and went out of their way to be considerate of us. Our unit was located on the 11th floor, with a balcony over-
looking the beautiful main pool area and the ocean. The unit itself was very clean and quite adequate for our purposes. It had a walk-in shower, which was a godsend for my husband. We used the "second" bedroom as a dressing room. It would only be adequate for children if used as a bedroom.

We found the restaurant, room service, and snack bar by the main pool to be excellent,
and very reasonably priced. Overall, we had a wonderful vacation under difficult circumstances, thanks to the considerate staff.

Joanne Claypool
Marshalltown, Iowa

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Red Deer
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2009

This was our fourth trip to the Mayan Sea Garden in Mazatlan. After not being there for several years, we expected quite a few changes, but other than the new Mayan Palace building everything was pretty much the same. The front desk staff were very good as usual. As owners we were eligible for a 2 bedroom suite, but since there was only 2 of us they offered us a 1 bedroom suite with 25% all food and drink charges for the week. We took them up on the offer after checking out both rooms. Our room was very dated, but clean and met all our needs. Bed was very hard as we've come to expect from Mexican resorts. The advantage of the smaller room was that it was a very short walk to the pool .
Resort grounds are beautiful and very well kept. We spent most days laying on the lounge chairs by the pool. (Warning, you have to get your towel out fairly early i.e. before 9am to get the best spots.) The water is pretty cold in the main pool, but it feels good after laying in the sun for awhile. Also, there are lots of iguanas to watch by the pool for entertainment if you get bored!
Food by the pool was pretty decent. My husband really enjoyed the shrimp tacos, although the portion size was fairly small. I stuck to the clubhouse or chicken nuggets, both which were good. (The drinks by the pool were very expensive, but quite good. The buckets of beer were the best deal.) The waiters by the pool were very good. One thing to mention as well is that there is a 15% gratuity added automatically, which I wasn't a big fan of. The service was always good and I probably would have given that much anyway, but it is still nice to have the choice.
The store at the hotel was good to pick up a few beer or snacks for your room. They had fresh baking in there every morning that we didn't try, but looked really good. We ate our dinners at the hotel a couple of nights and it was pretty good as well. The rest of the nights we at off site, our best meal was at Panchos in the Gold zone. It's the only place I have ever had to wait for a table at Mazatlan and can see why. My other favorite meal was the Dominos pizza we had delivered. It tasted great after a few days of Mexican food.
Overall, the resort is still great. I personally enjoy being a bit further away from the action of the Golden Zone, but if you are looking to do lots of clubbing or shopping it may not be the best choice.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple