“Away from the busy beaches” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sea Garden Mazatlan

Sea Garden Mazatlan
Ranked #19 of 80 Hotels in Mazatlan
Henderson, Nevada
“Away from the busy beaches”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Just got back from Mazatlan and the Mayan Sea Garden. As several folks have noted, the place is about 25 minutes away from town, a bit outdated, and very busy on the weekends. I saw that the first few days - - but then it practically emptied out and those still left literally had the place to ourselves.

Although I had booked a one-bedroom unit, I was given a two-bedroom one, which was unneeded as I was traveling alone. The king size bed took up most of the space in the main room, and the other room was small with a pull-out bed, no window (actually, there WAS a window that looked into a dark shaft area with what looked like power lines). The rest of the rooms ARE small (but very clean), but since I was out on the beach most of the time, I just dealt with it. The kitchen items are indeed in the lower cabinets (quite strange), leaving the upper cabinets empty for your food items. I was in the older building and had stainless steel countertops which took extra wiping down to get rid of the water spots. I received a call on Wednesday afternoon to move into the newer Palace building, but since I only had two nights left, I declined. I DO wish I had gone over to see what they looked like!

The resort grounds were lovely and well-maintained. The pool was huge, in two separate sections, and the water was warm and relaxing. Like one viewer said, the place gets hopping on the weekends - - and there were two weddings as well. Those weren't of any concern as they occurred in a building down closer to the beach. What WAS annoying was the house (?) next door that held a party Saturday night, with a Mexican band playing loud music all night long...and I mean ALL NIGHT LONG! It started at 10pm on Saturday and continued through the night until about 4pm the next day (Sunday). I got no sleep that night as the music boomed right across the resort grounds!

There were activities around the pool that you could participate in, but after the place emptied out on Monday, there were only a few takers. The staff was very friendly and helpful - - and there were plenty of Happy Hours in the day for those who wanted them. The beach was nice - - and much better than those along the Gold Zone. Those were just nasty-looking! The Mayan's beach was just perfect for relaxing and the vendors are at a minimum as there are no other resorts nearby. Once you told them "No" for the day, they left you alone. The water was rough while I was there so the red and black flags were up most of the time. However, you walk a bit in either direction and you could swim. But there are no lifeguards other than those at the resort so it can be risky - - I did see our lifeguards running to rescue several people further down the beach when the swimmers were in trouble.

I thought the price for the Internet service was outrageous (950 pesos per device for the week) so I purchased an hour's worth of computer time for 47 pesos ($3.60) and used the computers in the café. I only needed to check my emails and social networks once a day for about 15-20 minutes. A much better bargain!

I was NOT pressured to do the timeshare presentation but was shown the discounts I'd receive if I were to attend. As I am already a timeshare owner elsewhere, I was told I would just be presented with what the Mayan group has to offer. I declined, however, and it was never mentioned again.

The bus ride, which was quite easy to use, took me right into the downtown area in 20-25 minutes. I rode it all the way to the lighthouse end for only 10 pesos ($.76), a really good deal as I was traveling on my own. A taxi would have run about 170 pesos ($13), which is okay if splitting the cost with others. The resort provided a taxi price list which helped to determine costs of using it. I did walk the trail to the lighthouse (very disappointed in the condition of it), and then walked along the coastline for a while on the way back. All I had to do was wave down the bus anywhere along the route and the driver stopped...nice that I didn't have to find an actual bus stop!

I also went to the cathedral, the market, and the historic district. Again, I was disappointed in the conditions of the town. A friend of mine, who retired in Mazatlan, voiced his concern about it as well. Seems when the cruise ships stopped coming into port for two years, the economy suffered and fell apart. The ships have since resumed but at a much lesser number, so it will take a while for the city to recuperate. Be prepared for a lot a dirt and garbage in the streets.

All in all, it was a quiet vacation (once the week-enders left!) and it was like having a private resort to myself. There was no need for a car (shuttle to/from airport can be arranged through the resort - -It's about 40 minutes away), the folks were friendly, and although the place is far from town, the Mayan Sea Garden is a great place to stay. I only wished there were more restaurants nearby to choose from as I didn't want to travel into town at night by myself.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank MargiC17

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Cheyenne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

We spent 3 weeks at the Mayan Sea Garden in November, and the review I wrote was not very favorable. But after spending 2 weeks there in April, I have to report that there's a huge change! The facility has been cleaned up, the pool is very nice (and even, sometimes, heated), the new deli is great, the pizza oven makes wonderful pizza, and the new chef is terrific. The activities were much better, new staff members (like Marco) are terrific, and the placement of speakers around the pool makes it possible to lower the main volume. The beach bar and restaurant are really nice, and, of course, the staff is (still) wonderful.
The only drawback is that, because the Mayan is using the resort as a hotel facility, weekends tend to be crowded with people taking advantage of the new Durango highway. But that's a small complaint - this is a changed facility!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Andrea C
Socialmediamanager1, Manager at Sea Garden Mazatlan, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Dear Angry446 :

We truly appreciate the time you have taken to share with us your impression about your stay at Sea Garden. We are delighted as well that you enjoyed our food options, grounds, pools, and accommodations; as all our staff is always looking to meet our guests’ expectations to the fullest.

Comments like yours inspire us to continue creating ideal vacation experiences.

Sequim, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

Rooms are quite small. Kitchen cabinets were all under a counter so you had to stand on your head to get silverware or plates. Room key cards worked poorly--often took a half a dozen tries to open the door. Elevators were out of service several times and we had to use the service elevator. In room wifi prices have gone up to 950 pesos ($90) per device a week--the worst I've paid at any resort. Grounds, pool, and beach were nice. The resort itself is quite remote--a long bus or taxi ride into town. Noises carry up the stairwell at night--bring earplugs. I strongly advise to NOT attend a time share presentation. We have been to many, and this was the most unpleasant ever. The salesman did not want to honor the "gifts" we had been promised in writing. When we tried several times to clarify, he brought out his manager who accused of being disrespectful and threatened to kick us out. Out of the presentation? Out of the resort? We didn't ask, and decided to just endure it. We were told by two staff that the presentation time would include breakfast, but had to sign an agreement that the 90 minutes did not start until after breakfast. The salesman was rude to staff and us, too. The presentation was one of the worst smoke and mirrors sales attempts we have ever heard. The manager pressured us on why we wouldn't buy. We cited our age and satisfaction with our other timeshares. In truth we would not buy from people who presented as dishonest, but after the earlier threats weren't about to say so. The city tour offered as a gift was a waste of time. We have been on other city tours that were quite nice. I wouldn't do this one again even if it was free.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brenda J

Travelers are raving about these Mazatlan hotels

Metro Minneapolis-Saint Paul, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

We stayed with my extended family in two different rooms one with an ocean view and another without. The rooms are older and do need refurbishing; however, were clean. The beds were okay but the shower was really small. The water in our room had two temperatures scalding hot and cold. We were not in the room very much and the grounds and lobby were very nice. The pool was large but the first few days we were there it was not cleaned very well. The internet was very pricey $70 a week per device! If you do the sales presentation they give you a free city tour, don't bother. It was just a ride through downtown showing you where the places are. They do stop at the cathedral, a jewelry shop and a restaurant.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Jyssica S
Rock Hill, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

We stayed in February 2014. The bedroom is so small that you have to squeeze between the king sized bed and the dresser. The tiny bathroom is 2 doors down to the front of the unit. It has a tiny tub and one light in the ceiling. The water pressure was fine. There is an extra room that has a pull out bed but no TV. The pillows were stuffed with cotton I think as they were hard as a rock. All TVs are the old style tube TVs. It had a nice ocean view but a balcony too small for any chairs. It had a new coffee pot and new toaster but no supplies of coffee, sugar or anything so bring your own. There were no paper towels either. No dishwasher and only a microwave oven. Small dorm sized refrigerator.
We did this as a "free" RCI exchange but I've never stayed at poorer time share.
So why didn't I rate only 1 star? Well the staff is wonderful and in fact is the same staff as the neighboring Mayan Palace next door which is a lot newer and quite nice. The lobby is beautiful as is the entire downstairs and pool areas and bars, etc. There was daily maid service and she even brought us Hershey's kisses around 9pm every night.
Did I mention the usual high pressure timeshare sales pitch? They make it sound like they are just going to give you a free breakfast and show you around, oh and would you like to buy a $49,900 timeshare while you are at it? Oh don't want to spend that much, well we can bring the price down to only $9,000 and then $2,000 for a 2 year trial.
Surely you can do better than this place.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else. We asked to switch rooms and the one they showed us was identical to the dump we...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank JeepLover
Yellowknife, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

Although I have been a timeshare owner at Sea Garden for 30 years, we last visited the resort 10 years ago.
I'm happy to report that little has changed.
Sea Garden is the older, more modest part of the Mayan property. The units are simple, clean, and comfortable. For those who are looking for luxury hotel accomodation...this is not for you!
The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. Others have commented on the friendliness of staff and that is not an exaggeration.
The fact that the resort is remote from the action of the Golden Zone and other high density properties is a huge plus for us. Lots of unoccupied beach. A short walk to Mr Lionso's for the best food around. And only a 10 peso bus ride to anywhere downtown (if you take the newer bus)
Can't comment on the food on site. Menu didn't look very creative so we didn't bother. Bought breakfast supplies at a grocery store, although the onsite store is quite well stocked.
Downside to most resorts is the timeshare sales pressure. It was pretty full-on as we checked in. Reluctantly agreed to go to only a short owner info update (no breakfast, etc.) I admit that the session was informative and low pressure to upgrade. (In the end we decided that upgrading wasn't in our best interest at this time)
In the end, it was a quiet, relaxing vacation. Just what was needed to break up this cold North American winter! Resort seemed nearly deserted. Maybe things are different during high-season weeks?
Recommend eating at Mr Lionso's down the beach at Playa Bruja. Also at Pancho's in the Golden Zone.
Must activity: A day (or evening) of sailing on Mi Casa with Captain Eduardo
Biggest surprise: the massive flock of black birds that swarm to the resort every day at sun set, to roost.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RoryandStella
Dear RoryandStella:

We are grateful for your taking the time to write a review about your experience at Sea Garden. We are delighted to learn your trip was fun and you enjoyed our facilities, the accommodations, the pools, grounds and really thank you for your kind comment about our staff, as we consider them one of our biggest assets.

Our goal is to make each one of our guests’ vacations relaxing and we look to please them by making sure they receive all the benefits they are expecting to enjoy during their vacation. We are always happy to find out we have achieved this.

Stayton, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

Despite the fact that this property is most likely the least attractive of all Mayan properties, it is still GOLD STAR material. Staff are very friendly, accomodating and just great. Drawback, smokers at the pool area.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room facing the sea AND high enough to watch the endless array of great sunsets...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Kevin O :
Thank you for taking the time to provide us your feedback about your past stay with us at Sea Garden. We really thank you for your kind comment about our staff, as we consider them one of our biggest assets.

Your comments are always welcomed. We always like to hear about our guests’ experiences since it is the only way to truly know we are doing a great job to making your stay enjoyable.