“Amazing Last-Minute Vacation!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Calgary, Canada
“Amazing Last-Minute Vacation!”
Reviewed November 21, 2010

I bought the vacation package for my 3 year old daughter and I less than 24 hours before we had to leave. It was very spontaneous which created a significant amount of excitement and apprehension.
Upon arrival at the Granada, my name was not on the reservation list. I blame this on the short notice of our arrival. The front desk staff were very accommodating and had us in a room within 20 minutes.
Our room was very large and clean with a kitchenette. Our housekeeping service was excellent. My daughter loved coming home to a chocolate on her pillow every night. She had an accident during an afternoon nap and since the Granada housekeeping staff were done for the day, they sent someone from the Castilla to change the bedding which was very much appreciated.
We spent most of our time over at the Castilla. It's a very nice short stroll over the walkway. My daughter preferred the pool over the ocean but, I managed to convince her to go down to the beach at least once a day. It's absolutely beautiful but, the peddlers do tend to ruin it. Especially being by myself, it's essential that I can sit on the beach and watch my daughter in the water and not be distracted by someone trying to sell me stuff.
The pool and bar staff were great. My daughter has claimed Carlos (one of the lifeguards) as her boyfriend. His patience with her was Saint-like. He was really great with her in and out of the pool. He even gave her her very own whistle. She used it to compete in whistle contests across the pool with the other lifeguards.
We had breakfast at El Patio once. It is very nice but, not a great atmosphere for my daughter. The rest of our time, we had breakfast and dinner at La Pergola. The coffee and omelettes were always very good. If I had been on my own, I would have liked to try some of the other restaurants but, I found that La Pergola was better for my daughter as it kept her busy. The food selection and quality was very good. Our first night there, we had Ricardo as our server. He was excellent! My daughter loved him so much, we had him as our server every night. Often, we would sit down and he would bring us our usual drinks without even asking. He was very attentive and I appreciated him catching my daughter as she leaped out of her chair into his arms and occasionally chasing after her. The shows were entertaining and very well done. They had my girl clapping and dancing every night. We also had lunch every day overlooking the water. Gorgeous!
I always felt very safe and knew that if I needed anything, all I had to do was ask. All the staff were very friendly and always had a smile and a pat on the head for my girl.
If I had any complaints, it would be this: When I ordered breakfast at El Patio, we were served only one plate. I gave it to my daughter while they corrected the situation and quickly prepared another plate for myself. Also, the door to our room did not close completely. There was a small gap that made it seem less sturdy than it should be. Other than that, everything was awesome!
A huge thank you to all the staff. They made a week with a toddler very tolerable. I would not hesitate to stay here again and I plan to do so within the next year. My girl and I loved it!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank kokomeister
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this review, November 25, 2010
Dear kokomeister

Thank you for your review. I am so very grateful to you for your kind words. Firstly, I am happy to read that the issues that occurred were attended with promptness by our staff; as you may experience, all the staff is committed to make you have a wonderful vacation.

Secondly, it is very pleasant to note that you and your daughter enjoyed of all the facilities, food, activities and service delivered, we focus in offer product and service of the highest levels of quality to satisfy all needs of our dear guests.

Carlos, Rogelio and I personaly, we will be anxious waiting for you next year. Please let me know when you are making plans to assist you in any request you may have.

Warmest regards,

Mark Covarrubias Mckay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
calgary
Reviewed October 19, 2010

travelled to El Cid Granada with a group of 6 friends, some couples, some not. We are all in the age range of 25-30 years old. Upon arriving at El Cid Granada we were upgraded to El Cid Castilla becusue they were doing some maintence at El Cid Granada. We were pleased with the upgrade but surprised that we wern't informed that El Cid Granada was closed before we arrived. We wanted to walk around El Cid Granada and were told we couldn't becuase the hotel was "closed". I would have liked to have been notified prior to arriving.

The Mega resort was great for our group. We spent lots f ftime in and around the beautiful pools. The pools were large, had many caves, waterfalls, rocks, slides and swim-up bars and pool side activities. The pool side service was AMAZING! Adrian, Tomas and Rene went out of their way to give us exceptional sevrice. After a couple lazy afternoons by the pool, we would find our chairs and Adrian, who has memorized all 6 of our favorite drinks, would have the drinks in front of us before we even settled down. They also brought us new things to try. We did tip every couple rounds of drinks but it wasn't very much based on how much our groups of friends drank in a week.

The food was good, but not amazing. The Italian a la carte was really great! As was the Mexican! The buffets were just ok. We all always had more than enough to eat (as some in the group are quite picky eaters, vegetarians etc) but the food just wasn't outstanding. Again we had great dinner service and Roberto who helped us out mnay times, went out of him way to help to teach us some spanish words, and recommened things to do within this city. He even got us all into a nightclub for free one night.

The beaches were nice as well. You can walk endlessly down the coast. The water was ncie and warm. The peddlers on the beach were quite annoying after days of telling them no thanks but we learned to not let them bother us.

Overall we had a great trip to the El-Cid resorts. I woudl definetely go back! For us, the excellent service by the pool, at dinner, at the concierge and at the front desk made the resort that much better!!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank adge85
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this review, October 25, 2010
Dear adge85

We thank you for posting this amazing and detailed review. We are glad to hear that you were able to have a very enjoyable stay and would undoubtedly stay again in the future; your satisfaction is our priority.

Our commitment is to work hard day to day in every aspect of the hotel to achieve the total satisfaction of our guests. We are delighted that you and your friends enjoyed of the facilities, service delivered and of the Italian restaurant, by the other hand, I regret that the rest of the restaurants were not of your complete satisfaction, I would appreciate if you let me to discuss this last point with you to have more details/suggestions, they will be important to us. By the way, Adrian, Tomas, Rene and Roberto are grateful with you for your kind words regarding their job.

Once more, we thank you for sharing this amazing review and do not doubt in contact me for any assistance you may have for your next trip to Mazatlan.

All the best,

Regina, Canada
Reviewed October 10, 2010

My husband and I had a great 2 week vacation at this hotel. When we first got there we had a little trouble getting into our room but the staff was very helpful in storing our luggage for us and directing us to where we could have a beautiful lunch with a view of the ocean. They must have been having trouble with the room they wanted to give us so they gave us a different room. It was very large and clean with 2 double beds and a small kitchenette. We put the fridge to great use keeping soda and water cold.
We went with the all inclusive package and the food was absolutely delicious. The waiters were very friendly and helpful at all times. They treated you like royalty! Also, the shows at night were very enertaining and fun. The waiters never let you go without a drink and they were delcious!
We had to walk across the walkway to go to the ocean but that was not a problem at all. It was nice where we stayed because the pool was very quiet if we didn't want to be around a lot of people. Also, this is where we had the best steak I've ever tasted.
The ocean of course was beautiful. The only thing that got tiresome at times were all the beach vendors constantly bugging you. Also, the time share people got to be a little tiresome too. But all you had to say was No Thanks and they left you alone.
I would definatley recommend this hotel to a friend. As a matter of fact, we are looking to come again in late March or early April and bring my parents for their first holiday ever in Mexico.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tammy48
Dear Tammy48

Greetings from sunny beaches of Mazatlan!!!

Thank you for taking the time out to write this awesome review. First of all, I would like to apologize for the inconvenience that we caused you to assign your room, as you mentioned, the delay was due to we wanted to satisfy all your needs regarding lodgings, I am delighted to hear now, that the room that we assigned you met your expectations.

We are aware that provide high levels of standards in service makes the diference in the hotel industry, for that reason we provide to our guests with a service of excellence. The Food and Beverage staff welcomes your comments regarding food; our chefs constantly revise menus to offer the best in food. Please accept my sincere apologize for the drawbacks with the time share staff, this kind of comments allow us to know what our opportunity areas are.

Thank your for your recommendation towards this property, please know that we will be anxious waiting for you and your parents, if you would need any special request, feel free to contact me, I would gladly assist you.

Warm regards,

Silicon Valley, CA
Reviewed August 29, 2010

Best things about the El Cid Granada hotel: It is small (although it is part of the El Cid large resorts), has old-style character, a nice private swimming pool, Argentinean restaurant "El Patio," and is just across the street from the El Cid Castilla and Moro large pools and beach (great to watch the sunsets). There is a free shuttle that will take you to the El Cid Marina Resort. It is in the "Golden Zone" in a convenient location for public transportation to the downtown main plaza, cathedral and public market. There are few Americans staying at the Granada (My guess is that they prefer the newer, fancier resorts.). Mainly Mexican families with children stay here. The hotel is a good value, and the staff are Very Helpful and Courteous. The water from the faucets is drinkable/potable, it just doesn't have a very good taste (chlorinated, I guess). A very special day trip is to visit the San Sebastian and Copala (lunch at "Daniel's") villages.

• Stayed July 2010
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this review, September 1, 2010
Dear Roadtripper50

Thank you very much for your time and for your kind words in your review.

We sincerely appreciate your remark, nothing is better to us, than hearing that our guests had a great time at this their home.

I was happy to read that your stay was so pleasantant and that you had the opportunity to enjoy the facilities and amenities that we offer. We strive every day in do our best in every aspect for their satisfaction.

We welcome you back soon.

Warm regards,

Victoria, Canada
Reviewed August 27, 2010

My fiancée and I stayed at El Cid Granada the first two weeks of June, my first time at a resort. When we came home I had always intended to join up on this site and write a review but never got around to it. However we just got back from two weeks at another resort in the Dominican Republic and having a comparison now; I'd recommend El Cid and would definitely return.

The room was spacious and really nice. The grounds were immaculate. Granada is across the road and away from the beach and other hotels in the complex but this was actually great; the Granada, being away from the rest of the complex, was more quite and it was a real short trip to the beach and pool when you wanted.

The food was good. The buffet was ok but the a la carte restaurants were fantastic and they don't limit the number of reservations you can make like some resorts. Their Spanish coffee cart was a definite highlight for me at the restaurants, great dinner show.

The animation team was great and the nightly shows, I didn't realize the quality of them until staying at another resort. We were entertained the whole time.

The best aspect, to me, was the service. From check-in to maid service to servers...all fantastic and some of the nicest people I've ever met. On several occasions staff went out of their way to enrich our experience.

My only complaint was the time share thing. We felt really pressured and got unwanted calls and messages to attend it and then when we declined we felt weird about the whole thing. We received a couple of "gifts" for attending it but the pressure of the sales pitch was a bit too heavy and it wasn't a good deal compared to other packages.

But past that, a fantastic place and I'd really like to go back. Let alone Mazatlan itself which is a great adventure to just roam on your own. I have no hesitations recommending this resort and would like to go back one day.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JasonVic
Dear Jasonvic

Greetings from the Pearl of the Pacific!!!

Thank you so much for the time taken to share this review and for your encouraging words.
It is pleasant to hear that your fiancée and you, had a wonderful stay with us, your comment regarding our restaurants, shows, facilities and staff, is much appreciated, our daily efforts for meeting our guests satisfaction are reflected in comments like yours, and that, encourage us to continue working hard for getting your total satisfaction.

I apologize for the inconvenient you had with our time share crew. Your comment was reviewed with the head of the deparment involved to analyze the process of their job and to avoid any discomfort to our guests.

Thank you for your recommendation to others, we hope to have the pleasure to serve you once again.

Kind regards,

Calgary
Reviewed August 18, 2010

We just returned from the el cid granada and for the most part found it a good value. The el cid granada is a very dated property. The particular room we were in was probably of 60's-70's vintage. The beds were short in length and somewhat uncomfortable. The tub had mold around the grout. Although the room had cooking facilities there was a note that outside food and drink was not permitted. The towels and bedding were somewhat old and worn. Bottled water was 10 pesos and coffee was 15 pesos. There was a warning that any dishes not cleaned would be an additional charge. The view from the balcony included a dead bird which was decomposing. We were encouraged to attend a points promotion ( not a time share lol) but not harassed. Now the good points... The room was clean for the most part. We had access to the grounds and the facilities of all three hotels. The staff were professional and friendly.The location of the hotel in the golden zone was excellent. Security was excellent. We thoroughly enjoyed the pool facilities in the three hotels. If you are looking for a good value in a hotel and do not mind a very mediocre, dated, but clean room then I would recommend consideration of the el cid granada. Although the facilities warrented a 3 star I would rate the room as a 2 star perhaps just under a motel 6 in quality and cleanliness

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gowest32
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this review, August 21, 2010
Dear gowest32

Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion on Tripadvisor.com regarding your recent visit with us.

I am sorry to hear your experience with us was less than a 100%. The issues you mention are certainly of concern to us and we appreciate it. We were concerned to note that the beds, blanks and some aspects of the hotel did not satisfy you.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenient this could cause you. We are still in an extensive renovation program on our guest´s rooms and we will continue until complete all rooms.

The money collected by the sell of bottle of water and coffee in rooms, is destinated to El Cid´s Foundation, organization that actively participates in conjunction with El Cid employees in local charities and nationaly assists others in need.

By the other hand, I am glad that you have found our staff friendly and professional, excellent security and that you enjoyed the location, we are just ubicated in the heart of the golden zone, which makes easy access to bars, restaurants and town.

We look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back and prove you we are doing it better and provide you with the excellence service that El Cid is known for.

Kind regards from the entire staff.

Melfort, Canada
Reviewed August 12, 2010

I spent two weeks at the Granada and I thoroughly enjoyed the stay. You can enjoy the buffets or as many ala cartes as you can fit in. The choice of pools to swim in are great. The waiters are quick to serve you with a smile. You won't find a better value for your dollar or peso. The beach is short but the surf is good. The food is typical all inclusive but is very well prepared and tasty. I will be back.

• Stayed August 2010
1 Thank Simmies
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this review, August 14, 2010
Dear Simmies

Firstly, I would like to thank you for choosing to stay at El Cid Granada Hotel & Country Club and for your fabulous comments.

We are glad to learn that we met your expectations. We strive in provide the best service delivery and offer the most modern and comfortable facilities.

It would be a pleasure in assisting with any special needs you may have in a future.

Kind regards,