El Cid Granada Country Club
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel(Mazatlan)
  • Pool
El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel(Mazatlan)
  • Beachfront
thelocal Hotels Mazatlan(Mazatlan)
View Hotel
All reviewspatio restaurantheated poolactivities directorsushi restaurantsmall kitchenettean older crowda la carte restaurantstennis courtsbit datedno graciasmake reservationsgreat tripla pergolaresort staffspent weeksall inclusive vacationother resorts
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 24, 2010

The El Cid Granada lobby was a bit dark but was charming and a tiny step back in time. I found the brass keys were on a sturdy red cord which was very convenient to slip around your neck or into your pocket. We were pleasantly surprised when we discovered we had a 1 bedroom suite which was huge so we each had our own bathroom with our own toiletries set up in each and we each got to watch our individual favorite TV programs in separate rooms. The staff was great in every way and the whole complex was spotless in every corner. Who cares if the tub was a bit dated. The reasonable prices were greatly appreciated. The pillows were fresh and plenty of them! We were in the Granada area which was a bit of a walk to get to the buffet area but gave us a chance to wear off the extra calories from the Buffet. The entertainment was really good and we laughed until we cried. The downside part of making reservations ahead for the Ala carte restaurants is that the staff wanted a coupon from us when we entered the restaurant. We had not been informed that we needed coupons and were embarassed on 2 separate ocassions when a big commotion was made about our lack of coupons. We asked where we supposed to get these coupons but the staff didn't know. We eventually found out that we supposed to go pick them up from the reservations office which made no sense because we were told that we only needed to phone to get reservations. Didn't make any sense to phone if you had to walk over to get coupons!
The food was plentiful but overall left a lot to be desired. I served myself a bowl of onion soup but never did find the croutons and cheese for it. I really resented being forced to have margarine or nothing on my toast, pancakes, etc. It should have been offered as an option. The dessert bar was really good and so was the choice of fresh fruit. I found the food to be very fresh but lacked a choice of cheeses, etc. Overall the whole experience was really good and the price for the all inclusive was very reasonable.
And I also was dismayed by all the vendors hanging over the barricade or worse, approachng you to harass you into buying their wares when all you wanted was to relax for a few days away from the hectic lifestyle you left behind at home.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank moosemulligan
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2010

Dear moosemulligan

With much gratitude, it is a delight to hear of pleasant experiences from devoted guests. Your words are very encouraging as we take to heart each and every comment we receive from guests to make serious improvements in our excellence in service. Whether it may be on the grounds of the hotel or not, personally assisting guests is more than a priority here at the El Cid Granada Country Club.

We have taken your words into serious account and hope to make amends by improving the standard of guest care by reflecting once again on “personalized” service. Our food and beverage department, as our security department will be ensured to make improvements immediately. We truly hope we will be given another chance to serve you and your family with the service and care most deserved.

I want El Cid Granada to be chosen as stay in Mazatlan of your next time.

Best regards,

Reviewed April 22, 2010

We really enjoyed the Granada. Yes it's retro....but the rooms are large. We had a 2 room suite for us and our boys who are 7 and 12 and it was great!

The pool is awesome. Quiet and relaxing! The Iguana's that visited daily were cool!

The food was good. The service was good. We would definitely come back!

Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank SaskatchewanFamily

Dear SaskatchewanFamily

Greetings from Mazatlan.

We are delighted to hear your El Cid Granada experience in Mazatlan was most enjoyable. Every aspect of El Cid Resorts is catered for the fulfillment of our cherished guests.

Hurry back for another wonderful experience.

Reviewed April 21, 2010

We were only there for a short time due to room flooding---a very drunk guest above us left the bathtub running. The staff went above and beyond trying to remedy the problem--Daniel was incredible. The granada is like a little secret place to relax. The overpass is seriously mere minutes --like a highway overpass. It was nice to go to el patio for breakfast in the morning instead of the buffet---much more intimate and your picky kids could eat anything. You would sit outside and watch the iguanas. The pool is basic for relaxing---the fancier ones are across the pass. The rooms are more than good enuf. So the colors are dated ---is that really a problem for you? We were moved to the moro after the flood--wonderful views, and yes closer to the action which was nice, but the granada is a great place to stay---you kind of feel like you own it---and I was quite happy there. If you have booked this place don't worry you will be happy. Thank you again to Daniel for the cake he gave my son on his 7th birthday---he was beyond thrilled at this. I really recommend this place for anyone who wants to be close to the action but not overrun by it. I would go back in a heartbeat. ----oh yeah take a little walk up to the golf course behind the granada--deer and iguana's everywhere!!!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank sibeow
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2010

Dear sibeow

Thank you for your positive comments about your recent visit to El Cid Granada Country Club. We do appreciate your recognition of our staff’s (specialy Daniel´s) commitment in the recovery efforts made to ensure that the room issue was solved with professionalism. Guest satisfaction is our number one priority.

Again, thank you for the comments that you have shared with us and fellow guests. We value and appreciate your patronage, and look forward to your return! Your feedback is invaluable in meeting and exceeding your expectations, and those of our future guests.

Reviewed April 13, 2010

My boyfriend and I recently went on a trip with some friends to Mazatlan. We stayed at the El Cid Granada while our friends stayed at the El Cid Castilla. It's just across the skywalk... a 2 minute walk and it's definitely worth it to stay in the Granada! Great service, nice and quiet (it's an older crowd that tends to stay there). The pool is small but it's quiet. The fantastic thing about staying at El Cid is that you can use all the amenities throughout the resort. If you stay at the Granada, you can still go to the Castilla pool or lunch buffet. It's definitely worth it to spend less money to stay at the Granada and just take a 2 minute walk over to the pool.

The rooms in the Castilla are more "modern" but there's a super nice retro feel to the rooms in the Granada. If you're planning on staying in your room for your whole trip, then yes. Spend the extra money to get a big functional room. In all honesty, my boyfriend and I spent WAY less money than our friends did and we managed to do more activities and had way more fun than they did.

The service is great over there! If you are going to eat at La Pergola (or near the beach buffet), be sure to watch out for Adrian! He's the best server that we had the entire time we were there. And he remembers everyone! Super friendly, prompt service, huge smile and loves to joke around. The service at El Cid was phenomenal. Everyone greets you with a smile and is willing to bend over backwards for you. Be sure to bring A LOT of smaller bills/pesos for tipping! These people deserved to be tipped very well!

There's tons of activities to do at the resort and near the resort. We did para sailing, horseback riding and snorkeling. All of them were a blast! (Didn't see much snorkeling but oh well!!) Senor Frogs is right beside the resort and I DEFINITELY recommend going there. Such a blast! If you like nightlife, there are a lot of clubs down the street that will only cost you about 5-7 pesos for a taxi.

My only complaint about the El Cid resorts is that the beach is kinda small. It's not very wide... but it's super long. The peddlers on the beach can get super annoying (And that has NOTHING to do with El Cid - they can't control that!) so for that reason we didn't spend much time on the beach.

For the a la carte restaurants, I HIGHLY recommend the Alcazar. It's an Italian Restaurant... best caesar salad you will ever have!! The food is fantastic and the service is amazing!

If you see any reviews where people complained about the rooms being dirty or the service being bad... that's the kind of people that expect 5 star service at all times. If you want 5 star service with 5 star rooms, STAY IN A 5 STAR HOTEL! If you're going on vacation to RELAX and have fun, definitely stay at the El Cid Resorts!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank xrockstarrmeg
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2010

Dear xrockstarrmeg

A BIG THANK YOU for highly recommending El Cid Resorts to future guests.

Our goal is to make every guest feel welcomed and at home when they can't be. I'm glad our staff members were able to provide you with just such a feeling! I shall share your comments with my team as it seems that they have once again done great job.

Please let me know when you are returning for your second visit as I would love to offer you a personal welcome. I do hope you stumble through our doors again and enjoy our hospitality.

Reviewed April 13, 2010

My wife and I have stayed twice at the EL Cid in Mazatlan and have been quite satisfied. But an incident that happened during our last trip has made us reassess the hotel for future trips.

One day, while walking on the Granada grounds, we suddenly came across El Cid employees who were spraying a storage area with a hose. The spray splashed onto our clothes and our skin. We originally thought that the spray was water but we soon realised that the liquid was not water but a BLEACHING AGENT! The employees did not alert us, there were no warning signs or safety barriers around the area, and it could easily have splashed into our eyes, with possible dire consequences. As it turned out, only my wife’s top and shorts and my shorts were damaged. There was no obvious damage to our skin.

We immediately reported the incident and were asked to write out a report containing the details, addressed to Carla, the Customer Services Manager. After six days of stony silence I finally called Carla directly. On learning who I was, she offered a half-hearted apology. The following day (the day before our departure) Daniel, the General Manager, presented us with a certificate for two free nights (with, of course, the usual blackout periods!), European plan, in 2010, as compensation. We were completely underwhelmed.

This was an incident that could have been much more serious to our health and to the hotel's reputation. The hotel’s response was not only lethargic but pathetic: a half-hearted apology six days later and a worthless certificate. No effort was made to reimburse us for our damaged clothing, which, incidentally, cost only $100 to replace.

Carla and Daniel failed miserably on this occasion. This was a problem that could have been resolved easily and at little cost to the hotel. It wasn’t! As a result, we will be looking for alternative accommodation in Mazatlan next year.

More importantly, the hotel needs to review its safety policies and its customer service. Both need to be improved considerably. If not, incidents that should be easy to resolve could, in the long term, turn out to be extremely problematic for the hotel.

Robert (Ontario)

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RobertOntario
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2010

Dear RobertOntario

Thank you for posting your feedback regarding your resent stay on Tripadvisor.
It goes without saying that I am extremely disappointed to read your review.

As everybody knows, ‘the people’ make or break a stay and it is very clear from your comments that on this occasion something went wrong.

I really do hope (and think) that this is based on some very unfortunate misunderstanding. We do not always get it right, but all our internal feedback systems, and all the comments posted over the years on this site (Tripadvisor) in general speak extremely highly of the customer care delivered by the front of house team.

Customer service remains our top priority. If they are unable to assist, you may contact the General Manager. If added assistance is needed, the CEO himself may be called upon. I regret not having the opportunity to assist you with your issues.

I’m offering my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience caused during you stay. The service problems you said are not what characterize our daily performance since we do our best to make our guests feel like home.

We will really appreciate your confidence vote one more time to El Cid Resorts in your next visit to Mazatlan; we assure that you will receive the excellence and distinguished service that made you come back in other occasions in the past.