“Very average place!”

Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay
Ranked #2 of 80 Hotels in Mazatlan
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 2, 2005

My wife and I just returned from a trip to Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay. If you are looking for an upscale, exciting Mexican vacation....do NOT go to Emerald Bay. The pictures do portray the hotel as it truly is, however, there is something missing from making this place anything but average. Our stay was very underwhelming. The food was average, the drinks weak (unless you watched them), there were a million bees near the pool, and, worst of all, if you decide to take the "tour" (sales pitch), plan on being totally annoyed. I would have rather sat for two hours listening to a used car salesman sell me a Pinto. Where do they find these timeshare salespeople? I needed to shower after going through this one-on-one presentation because it was so dirty. He actually was outwardly angry at us for politely declining the purchases when we told him from the start that we were just curious about the timeshare business as we had never been to one before. He encouraged us to buy the timeshare with our credit card and then scam our family and friends into getting rooms in other cities through our ownership. Who does that?

Although many of these reviews made us very excited for this trip, we were ultimatley let down. We spoke to many other people, young and old, who felt the same way.

Bottom line, you get what you pay for. There is a reason that Mazatlan is less expensive that other Mexican vacation spots. It will probably be better in 20 years. My new rule of thumb, if American or United Airlines don't fly to a city, there must not be a demand for it.

Again, the hotel is beautiful, but almost in that DisneyWorld fake kind of way. DisneyWorld, however, can get away with it...Mazatlan can't!

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (3,059)

Reviewed December 27, 2004

We recently stayed at the Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay property, did not buy, did not even go to the sales meeting, not interested. But the vacation itself was one of the best we have ever had. (Couple no children). The property was beautiful, the staff very hospitable, room more than adequate. The pools, especially the eternity pool, are absolutely the best I or my husband have ever seen. We are not big ocean swimmers, and the ocean is rough and rocky, so I suspect ocean swimming is not a good reason to go there, but if you must swim in the ocean, the golden zone (reachable by free shuttle into town, and then a 4 dollar cab ride), is absolutely beautiful. Prices are reasonable- we took the free shuttle into town for most lunches- lobster dinners for less than 30 American dollars for 2-With beer!! No bullying by the timeshare crew, which I appreciate lately. From the East coast it is a long flight, not for a weekend, but I would return, and suprisingly my husband actually loved it! Very lazy week until we took the Jungle Tour- a 4hour ride to go to a mangrove swamp to take a 30 minute boat ride- DEFINITELY skip this. I would have rather spent those 10 hours at the hotel. But we were both greatly impressed, and would revisit.

8  Thank radroe
Camano Island, WA
Reviewed December 14, 2004

We loved this place!!! I read the reviews before we went here and since we have no desire to own any timeshare we declined to go when we first checked in. We turned down the freebies and gave ourselves the extra time.

The grounds and rooms are beautiful. The only room that I've been in that is nicer is the Venitian in Las Vegas, but even then the Venitian doesn't overlook a beautiful pool and the ocean. The pool is huge....the largest that I've ever seen and beautiful. The food is good and the prices are resonable. The beach has a reef and looks a little dangerous for swimming. The property is secluded and north of town but there is a free shuttle to their sister property in town. The sister property has a swimable beach. After taking the free shuttle, you can catch a taxi to anywhere you want to go in town for 50 pecso's (less then $5 US).

We would come here again!!!

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 7, 2004

I got recently married at Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay and stay there for a few days. Service was great, food was delicious and the wedding planner took care of every single detail. I've been several times in Mazatlan and I can assure you that this is by far the best hotel in town. The Resort is located away from town, so I would recommend it for couples or honeymooners. Hotel's beach is a little rocky, but If you walk 1/3 of a mile you'll find a clear beautiful beach. This hotel should be listed as No. 1 in Mazatlan.

• Stayed: November 2004
10  Thank kharol
Orange County, CA
Reviewed November 7, 2004

This hotel should be listed as #1 and not #7 on Trip Advisor. For $99 a night, this hotel was fantastic. You'd probably pay over $300 for a hotel like this in the U.S. We ordered a shuttle from the airport, and were the first to get dropped off at our hotel. The other passengers, who were not staying at Emerald Bay, were impressed and we could tell that some of them wished they were staying here. We had a great view of the ocean and pool and the rooms are very spacious and clean. It comes complete with a full-sized refrigerator and kitchnette with utensils and plates. The service and staff were very friendly. The pool was the best with an aqua bar with happy hour buy 1 get one free drinks. They had some unique drinks and my favorite was the Aqua Special (a blended banana & rum drink). We participated in some of their games, including Spanish Bingo and Name That Tune. The staff tried to get us to go to their timeshare, which I heard is a soft-sell, but we didnt want to waste our precious time. The hotel is situated a little out of town, but they offer a free shuttle every hour to their sister hotel, Plaza Bonita, in town. THis was BY FAR, the nicest hotel we saw during our 6 day trip. It had very clean and green grounds (also had flamingos). Room service is reasonably priced. I recommend the pizza.

Other recommendations are to eat at the Panama Bakery. Great food and very cheap bc locals also go there (try the sopas - yum!). All the seafood we ate was excellent, starting with El Paraje, which is within walking distance from Pueblo Bonito. The Shrimp Bucket was yummy, but a little pricey. Senor Frogs had surprisingly good food, but at tourist prices. I recommend the Stone Island Tour. Buy tickets through your hotel and not online because it's not only cheaper but because of the exchange rate to pesos, you save even more. Royal Spa in downtown is hidden away but has massages for $15 an hour in a bungalow type of setting.

Mazatlan is not a place to go if you're looking to party, but it's a great get-away for couples. We recommended the hotel to another couple we know, and they recently went and loved it. Go and see for yourself!

12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Atlanta,GA
Reviewed November 6, 2004

This was the best vacation I have ever had! The grounds are immaculate, the food was great and the staff did everything we asked. The beach is rocky but very very private (great for couples ). If you would like to take advantage of the beach instead of the awsome pool they offer a free shuttle that runs every thirty minutes to their sister resort is available. You are able to charge food and drinks to your room from either resort. Room cleaning starts at about 10am so put on the do not disturb sign on, they will come back later to see if you need anything. If you like good food, great service and sun then this is the place for you.

• Stayed: September 2004
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Indianapolis, IN
Reviewed October 30, 2004

Just returned from six nites and had a wonderful stay. Property is exceptional, as is the staff. The food is just average. Excellent room and even the pool quiets after 8. Upper pool is for adults and those wishing not to partake in activities (salsa dancing...water aerobics, etc.), and there are two childrens pool areas. Time share is nothing to fear. Just say no and that's the last you'll hear from them. Well worth the $200 in food and beverage credit you'll get. Nice beach area, but not good for swimming. Had a slight medical problem (sun rash) and a doctor was there in twenty minutes to see me. No problem. Great place to go and do NOTHING! Very relaxing. If you're looking for non-stop action...forget Mazatlan. However, if it's a quiet getaway you're after, you'll do no better than Emerald Bay. PS--the shuttle to the Publeo Bonito Mazatlan is also extremely nice and runs on time!

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member