“Way above average!”

Ranked #2 of 80 Hotels in Mazatlan
A TripAdvisor Member
Indianapolis, IN
Reviewed October 30, 2004

Just returned from six nites and had a wonderful stay. Property is exceptional, as is the staff. The food is just average. Excellent room and even the pool quiets after 8. Upper pool is for adults and those wishing not to partake in activities (salsa dancing...water aerobics, etc.), and there are two childrens pool areas. Time share is nothing to fear. Just say no and that's the last you'll hear from them. Well worth the $200 in food and beverage credit you'll get. Nice beach area, but not good for swimming. Had a slight medical problem (sun rash) and a doctor was there in twenty minutes to see me. No problem. Great place to go and do NOTHING! Very relaxing. If you're looking for non-stop action...forget Mazatlan. However, if it's a quiet getaway you're after, you'll do no better than Emerald Bay. PS--the shuttle to the Publeo Bonito Mazatlan is also extremely nice and runs on time!

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (3,061)

Reviewed October 26, 2004

This is by far the best hotel in Mazatlan. Terrific grounds, beautiful setting with wonderful views.
The service and staff are first class and although it is an all-time share facility, the pressure to buy was not too forceful. You get a sizeable allowance for meals and services and a first class breakfast just for taking a 1 hour tour of the facilities.
The rooms are large, but the walls are thin and the cleaning starts early--so if you are a light or late sleeper--good luck!!
The meals are reasonably priced, but except for breakfast, the quality is just average and the buffets aren't that appetizing.
The beach is rocky but goes forever and the pools are huge and well laid out--just a bit noisy!!

4  Thank BILL B
Reviewed August 30, 2004

My family stayed at Emerald Bay Pueblo Bonito in August of 2004. It was the most luxurious time-share trade we've ever made. We had a 2 BR "Presidential Suite" -- one king bed, kitchen and bath, connected with another suite of 2 double beds, pull-out sofa, 2 more baths and another kitchen. Very spacious and lovely. From our third floor windows, the views of the ocean were spectacular -- especially the beautiful sunsets. The thing that most impressed us was the gracious, warm hospitality offered by the staff. They are so appreciative of tips, and we were happy to tip well because they earn so little without tips (about $5 per day for a maid, I heard).

We did attend the time-share promotional breakfast. Our whole family of six had a nice breakfast, then the kids went swimming while my husband and I had a nice talk with a very delightful sales representative. We talked about kids, travel, family, what to do in Mazatlan -- everything except condo business. She knew we weren't in a position to buy, and put absolutely no pressure on us.

The shuttle service into town is very efficient -- a nice air conditioned bus. We also used the local buses -- very inexpensive, and it's good to see how the locals get around. We also enjoyed the open air taxis -- usually about $4 within town. We went into town every day for lunch or dinner, to get groceries and check out the little shops. There's no reason to rent a car if you don't want that liability -- there are buses and taxis everywhere -- you never wait more than a couple of minutes. We took the resort's shuttle from the airport, which was very nice and efficient, at about $18.00 per person round trip.

The beach by the hotel was wonderful -- sandy, warm water and no jellyfish (in August). We took the Bula catamarran to a little island for snorkeling, but there were too many jelly fish there to enjoy being in the water, but it was still fun. They provided lunch and kayaking as well.

The resort itself is incredibly beautiful in the architecture, furnishings and landscaping. The pools are beautiful. Despite what I read, there are no tennis courts (they're in the plans to be constructed). Don't worry about exchanging money before you go -- you can do it at the front desk, or in town for a slightly better rate. Being a physician, my husband came with Immodium, Pepto Bismol capsules, and an antibiotic. He and our son required some medication for "tourista", but the rest of us were fine. All the water at the resort and restaurants is purified. It was fun trying to speak a little Spanish, though most everyone who works with tourists speaks English well enough.

We felt very fortunate to visit this beautiful spot, got a taste of the real culture of Mazatlan by venturing out of the resort, and came home relaxed and a little more educated about the world. Much more interesting than Disneyland!

12  Thank mmmmcccppp
Reviewed August 25, 2004

This is a beautiful hotel - the grounds, the rooms, the pool are all very lovely. The restaurants are good and reasonably priced. The service is also good. The shuttle to town is convenient.

We did the timeshare breakfast/tour and it was very low pressure. We told them we were not interested in purchasing a timeshare and they were fine with it. We received $200 credit for food and beverages at the hotel just for sitting through the timeshare breakfast.

The one down side was the beach. It is very rocky and filled with seaweed, and so it is not really conducive to hang out it in/swim in.

Overall, the hotel is very nice. It is secluded and relaxing.

5  Thank mojo1
Reviewed August 20, 2004

I visited the Hotel in August 04, this place is incredible, both breath taking grounds and views. The complex is large and no neighbors, completely private beach, unlike other places in Mazatlan. Yes, the downside is Mazatlan the City, but if you just like to relax and stay in the Hotel and enjoy the ocean and pool with lounge chair service, this is your place. I bought the time share at an average of $300 a week, plus the current $360 maintenance fee, this is a steal. A short fly from the Western States will get you here or Cabo (the other properties), you can split your week, so you can get a short fly two times a year into your own paradise. Again, I emphasize the great service and ultra relaxing atmosphere.

4  Thank Resteasy4me
A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed August 4, 2004

My husband and I went to Emerald Bay in April of 2004. The grounds are beautiful; the lobby is lovely (if not a little too opulent), and the pools looked great. But....I wasn't impressed with the customer service/guest relations. After eating at the ocean-side restaraunt on our first night there, I missed a stair (it wasn't very well lit) and fell. A worker saw me do it, but didn't aid me to my room. The next morning I was in severe pain and my husband inquired if they had a doctor or crutches. They told me they would "rent" me crutches for $10 a day and would call me a doctor (at my expense). A trip to the clinic, a cast on my leg (fractured my foot), and hours later, we returned to the hotel. When the front desk asked what happened and we explained, they seemed indifferent. We were not given a free meal, a free nights stay, or even a free drink. We checked out the next day (three nights early) and they refused to refund any of our prepaid room reservation fees. For a hotel that wants to sell you a timeshare, one would think the customer service would be better! What would they do if a time-share owner hurt themselves on their grounds? I will neither buy there nor recommend it. It's a shame the service was so poor, as it truly was a pretty hotel.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 27, 2004

We just returned from spending a week at Emerald Bay. (July 19 - 26) The resort is fabulous. The grounds are beautiful. The staff is friendly helpful and eager to make your stay memorable. I was concerned about the heat and humidity this time of year, but the ocean breezes made it comfortable.
I had read some negative reviews about the time share presentations. We did attend the breakfast presentation and received some food and beverage credit. We felt absolutely no pressure. We own a timeshare in the US which is meeting our needs now. If we ever decide we want another time share, it would be at Emerald Bay.

• Stayed: July 2004