“Disappointed in my second trip to PB Emerald Bay”

Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay
Ranked #2 of 80 Hotels in Mazatlan
Reviewed December 14, 2013

We have gone to this resort before and booked again to go with another couple. 7 months ago, we sent a request for a top floor in a specific building. Got an email back saying that's no problem. When we checked in, they had no top floor, and no rooms in our requested building. We ended up on the second floor, my balcony eclipsed by a tree. The other couple could see the back of the building in front. We booked for two weeks, and I asked 3 separate times during our stay to be moved. We were told there weren't any rooms. Really?? The place was almost empty the second week. Not one top or third floor room in any building?? Not likely. So disappointed. We went there because of the views. The view from our room made me wish we'd gone somewhere else. Since our room got hardly any sun, it was really muggy and humid. The other couple with us had bugs all over their kitchen. They had the hotel spray it 3 times. Still no new rooms. Waste of money for us. Wish anyone would have been apologetic at all. The buffets were ok, but nothing special. Some of the theme nights are plated, and if we hadn't been all inclusive, it would have been a waste of money. The food at the bistro was good, but somewhat inconsistent. Some things came out with some toppings one day and different ones the next. Cilantro's in town was good also. Our cleaning lady, Fabiola, was great. Always friendly and cheerful.
At the pool, Angel was a good server, and Jesus was fantastic. We had a few others that would consistently forget stuff.
Booked a fishing trip on the resort, (the salesman, Victor, walks around the pool area). The fishing trip was not as nice as Victor will have you believe.
At breakfast, when I asked to have two bottles of water to go, Ramon jumped down my throat, asking how many in my room. I know you have to protect the AI from the non AI, but 2 bottles of water at the start of the day??? Settle down Ramon. I went out of my way to sit in anyone else's section from that day forward. Some servers were amazing. The Omelet station was fantastic. She is good at what she does.

Overall, this experience was nowhere near my first trip. I will not be raving this time. I do not think I'll return, mainly because over the two weeks, they could not find us any other room at all. Despite our complaints.

Room Tip: Third and fourth floor have views, lower do not.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Tashaloewen
PuebloBonitoResorts, General Manager at Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2013

Dear Reviewer,

We appreciate the time you took to review us and would like to apologize for any inconveniences that we may have caused you, we are already taking action to make sure this won't happen again.

We really hope to welcome you anytime soon.

Best,
David Tussi, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,133)

Reviewed December 12, 2013

We have been owners at EB for 3 years and overall recommend the resort to all. The kids love the pool and grounds as well as the beach activities at the sister-hotel, Pueblo Bonito Mazatlan. The staff is friendly and hospitable. The food options are good. The all-inclusive meal and spa packages are worth the money, if you will make use of them.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Megan K
PuebloBonitoResorts, General Manager at Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2013

Dear Megan K,

We truly appreciate your kind remarks and the time you took to review us, looking forward to welcome you anytime soon!

Reviewed December 10, 2013

Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay was a great place to stay, the grounds were beautiful, and condo was very spacious, and clean every day.
The food was excellent, but we did not do the meal plan, but I think that most people that visit there, do get the meal plan.
We do plan on returning, that was my first visit to Mazatlan since 1984, and so much has changed, for the good and the bad.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor, near the adult pool, we had a view of the water, and pool, but a higher...
2  Thank Carl B
Reviewed December 9, 2013

We stayed years ago at the "old" Pueblo Bonito and decided to try Emerald Bay this time. The hotel entry is very impressive and the lobby is beautiful. I had paid extra for an ocean view room and we checked into room 2018 which was on the first floor. Well, there was a tiny "peek" of ocean but this would certainly not be what I would call "ocean view." You might have an ocean view if the heavy vegetation and trees were trimmed up. Oh well go with the flow. But I felt disappointed. The suite was very nice, spacious and we loved it. The beach, however, is not really for swimming as it is rocky and no waves to speak of. Not like the old Pueblo Bonito's beach which is one of the best around. We had breakfast and dinner one night in the Bistro restaurant which was good. Staff was nice and helpful. Grounds are beautiful and I loved the fact that they have an adult pool. We had a couples massage in the spa. The massage I got was the best one I have had in ages. Very relaxing and the spa facilities were top notch.
They provide shuttle to the old Pueblo Bonito if you want to enjoy their beach and we went one of the days and boogie boarded and people watched. That beach is really one of my favorites. P.S. Don't miss Topolo restaurant in Old Mazatlan, the food is to die for.

Room Tip: don't book 2018 if you are paying extra for ocean view, it barely has a view at all!
Reviewed December 7, 2013

We travel to Mazatlan the first two weeks of November every year. We have a timeshare there for two weeks and purchased them from third parties. This is THE trip I really look forward to every year. We usually arrive with a group of 18 to 50 friends, depending on their finances.
We have never been disappointed in our stay there. The housekeeping staff (especially if you are lucky enough to have Jeanette) is fabulous! The food at the Bistro and poolside is great. It seems a little more pricy than some of the restaurants downtown, but if you factor out the cab or pulmonia ride from Pueblo Bonito downtown, it really is about the same. The shuttle is great and we never had to wait for a second bus. The owners are encouraged to go to an owner's lunch and are asked to upgrade to a different class of timeshare, but never bullied. The most difficult thing one has to do while staying there is to decide where to have dinner.
We always bring our leftovers home as each unit has at least a kitchenette. We either go to WALMART or MEGA FOODS at the start of our trip and purchase enough food and beverages to last us most of our two weeks. If we run short of supplies, the resort has two Deli"s that have fresh pastries, fruits, veggies, and all sorts of canned goods. Almost anything you would want or need is there if one is willing to pay 2 to 3 times the price for the convenience of not having to go to town.
We always have leftovers from dinner and bring them back to our room. I usually take the leftovers and deconstruct them. I dice up some potatoes and slowly fry them, mixing them with veggies and odd bits of meats and fish. We call it Mazatlan Hash" and is a great Breakfast.
Several of our group contribute their leftover shrimp and beef and chicken to me and I am able to add rice and tortillas and make burritos for all of our friends. We serve them poolside as a pre-lunch snack.
This resort has everything one could expect from a 5-star resort. I count the days until I will return.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms give a great view of the ocean, as the palm trees block some of the lower rooms...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank STEVEGD118595
Reviewed December 3, 2013

For what others have seemed to rate excellent or very high, I find I cannot.

The resort at first glance is beautiful but the longer I was there, the more I saw that didn't impress me.

Interior large paint splatters that are not cleaned up in any places within the room.
Bird or animal s... That is smashed and left on main outdoor stairway that went uncleared for the week I was there.
Screen doors (multiple) that are off their tracks and left put aside on balconies.
Outdoor showers near the beach that have faucet handles that just spin and fall off.
TV's with unreliable volume control...not just low batteries on remote.
Elevators very sensitive to something...not a weight issue. Sometimes took as many as four attempts for doors to close and stay closed.

Now let's talk service.
The individual service people go out of their way but the people behind the desk not so much. We kept having unfortunate experience after unfortunate experience. When we asked to speak with a manager, Roberto told us he was a manager. Clearly a lie.
Requests made prior to arrival were not accommodated. Not always the worst experience when traveling but some acknowledgment or apology is expected. One may argue that different cultures...the facility caters mostly to US Americans. A little sensitivity training would go a long way.
We can see a decline from when we first visited in 2007. Maybe time to check out other facilities that may try harder.

Room Tip: Higher up avoids some of the noise of other guests outside but nothing masks the screeching sound of...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Linda B

Dear Reviewer,

We really hope to welcome you anytime soon.

Best,

Reviewed December 3, 2013

Checking in as ALWAYS a delight. Jose (the front desk manager) is efficient and always remembers my name and greets me with a smile and a hand shake even in the busiest of times. I have owned two Juniors for several years and always hope he will still be there. This time when I checked in Jose was with another owner and Roberto helped me. He was also very efficient and was able to give me the three rooms I had requested before my arrival. 2 Juniors and a Master all together. I think this area of the hotel is extremely well run as it should be as it is the first impression for new visitors.
Next I want to say that the pool service waiter Jose Luis and Jesus are both exceptional waiters. I was there with my daughter and her family (3 kids) and they were not just attentive and friendly to the adults, but also to the kids and their wants and needs. I have followed Jose Luis around the pool for years as he is such a good waiter and a dear man. He remembers my family each trip and that means a great deal to me.
As for the restaurants. The only food I eat at EB is poolside as I find the restaurants as well at the bar food below par. I believe the all inclusive has lowered the quality of the food and certainly the service. I enjoy going into PB Mazatlan to both of the restaurants there and cannot understand how there quality and service can be so much better. This has been a problem for my last several trips. I hear many complaints around the pool and don't understand why it isn't fixed. Lastly, the size of the portions around the pool area has been reduced and the prices have gone up! Sad, but probably due to the decision to have the option for all inclusive.
Even with the complaints, I still look forward to coming to a beautiful resort and PBEB is definitely that! Edith G

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family