“service and food” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 81 Hotels in Mazatlan
Houston, Texas
“service and food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

Checking in as ALWAYS a delight. Jose (the front desk manager) is efficient and always remembers my name and greets me with a smile and a hand shake even in the busiest of times. I have owned two Juniors for several years and always hope he will still be there. This time when I checked in Jose was with another owner and Roberto helped me. He was also very efficient and was able to give me the three rooms I had requested before my arrival. 2 Juniors and a Master all together. I think this area of the hotel is extremely well run as it should be as it is the first impression for new visitors.
Next I want to say that the pool service waiter Jose Luis and Jesus are both exceptional waiters. I was there with my daughter and her family (3 kids) and they were not just attentive and friendly to the adults, but also to the kids and their wants and needs. I have followed Jose Luis around the pool for years as he is such a good waiter and a dear man. He remembers my family each trip and that means a great deal to me.
As for the restaurants. The only food I eat at EB is poolside as I find the restaurants as well at the bar food below par. I believe the all inclusive has lowered the quality of the food and certainly the service. I enjoy going into PB Mazatlan to both of the restaurants there and cannot understand how there quality and service can be so much better. This has been a problem for my last several trips. I hear many complaints around the pool and don't understand why it isn't fixed. Lastly, the size of the portions around the pool area has been reduced and the prices have gone up! Sad, but probably due to the decision to have the option for all inclusive.
Even with the complaints, I still look forward to coming to a beautiful resort and PBEB is definitely that! Edith G

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank edith g

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
Midwest
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

We have been owners at EB for 3 years and overall recommend the resort to all.
There are not as many children activities like say Melia in Ixatapa (ZiWah) but the
kids can really enjoy it too as our Grandchildren do, with kid friendly huge pool etc.
separate from the "Adult only pool". Staff we have always found outstanding, friendly,
efficient and professional. The resort is as beautiful as any we've been at and is a
delight. 10+ on a scale of 10 being excellent!

The only complaint really is with their "All Inclusive". For the first time in 3 years we
signed up when price was reduced from $90/day to about $57 and that is all it is
worth if that and only because the food is very good. We researched the plan online
and all we could see was typical "all food and alcoholic drinks are included" - NOT SO!
When we arrived we found out that only really inferior labels are included - they have premium liquors Bailey's, Johnnie Walker, Beef Eaters, Bombay Blue Sapphire etc. but you have to pay $6 to $8 for a shot and they are not included! Have never seen another all inclusive plan where on the shelf wasn't included. If you enjoy a quality Martini forget it, their Martini's literally
are swill, rot gut. We felt ripped off and found out to cancel would cost us 33% of our 3 day plan!
This is extremely disappointing and did affect our enjoyment when we were staying 3 weeks.

Raymond Fredell and Janet Chatwin

Room Tip: get the Junior Suites, they all have a balconey
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Raymond F
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

My partner and I have a villa that we go to every other year. It is a great experience to go and enjoy the nice and exceptional resort due to the staff and accommodations. They had a great activities center that was led by a fun and entertaining host, Eduardo. We were able to go to a baseball game, set sea turtles out to sea and do a city tour. When we had issues inside our villa such as the DVD player not working, they immediately sent someone to take care of the problem. My partner and I never regret purchasing the timeshare for the experiences we gain in Mazatlan. The only bad thing that I would say about my stay was that the king size bed in our master room had a big lump in the middle that we tried to get out but couldn't.

Room Tip: Ask to get a room close to the gym b/c it is the closest to the main pool, beach, and lobby.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Seattle, WA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

This property has really slipped in service--there are lots of new rules that don't seem "owner friendly" and we were shocked that you have to turn in your beach towel daily or get a $25 charge. We also tried to get our I-phones, I-pads and my laptop connected to the internet in our room and found out that I had to register, (and pay for), EACH device. (The weekly charge is $56 a device so, in order to run my business from my room, I needed all three devices to really do my job but that would have been $168 for the week--highway robbery.) It just feels like they need money and the were quick to "sell" the timeshare update lunch, which we declined, and then we had no newsletter, info on the restaurant specials or any information that we've received in the past on check-in. (They want to be liked, though, on Facebook and, if you do, you receive two free drinks. Pass.) Not the usual great experience--not at all. It still is a BEAUTIFUL resort, though, and the pool service is usually great!

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank terrymiller
Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

This was my second trip to Emerald Bay and let me start off by saying the room and grounds are incredible. Three pools, two restaurants, a spa, various room sizes from a simple double to a huge villa by the golf course, excellent service, and beautiful views of the ocean. It was a nice, relaxing trip with my family--BUT it's not perfect. For a start, there's no free wifi in the rooms ($8/day). You can go to a little shop in the middle of the complex and log on there, but Emerald Bay has a long way to go to match even a MacDonalds for basic internet access. Another disappointment was the food; frankly, it's not particularly good. Not awful, just not anything you'd buy if you weren't already there (and they serve margarine instead of butter--yuk). I would stay away from the desserts completely. The drinks have very little alcohol in them so if you're getting the meal plan so you can go hog wild at the bar, don't bother. Emerald Bay is a family resort, not a party town.

Room Tip: Stay away from the Bistro end of the complex. There are huge fans there that are quite loud. The bes...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Amanda G
Waco, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

Just returned from my 11th trip to Mazatlan in 5 years.......& it keeps getting better with each visit !!! Mazatlan is one of the best kept secrets of all of Mexico , with it's delightful weather , superb dinning, wonderful hotels/resorts , Colonial charm, championship fishing , &......best of all....the most wonderfully warm & hospitable people ! They are happy , trustworthy & eager to please & service their vacationers. We stayed at Emerald Bay Pueblo Bonito , a well kept & beautiful resort with housing arrangements going from an adorable Jr. ( studio) Suite to a swanky free standing 3 bedroom ,3 1/2 bath, private pool Villa ! Service is remarkably quick & efficient in all of their accommodations. Four great restaurants, several bars, a Deli, terrific full service Spa & Gym, and plenty of activities are provided. Also, a free shuttle bus takes you into town every hour.I have plenty of favorite places to go "in town", starting with the truly wonderful Athina Spa ! Favorite eats are Toppolo's , Pancho's & Pedro y Lola .I adore to walk& shop around Machado Plaza. It's filled with unique art studio/shops, tasty restaurants & good music !

Room Tip: Truly all are wonderful !
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank alycebeard
PuebloBonitoResorts, General Manager at Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

We would like to thank for being such a loyal guest to Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay, we are very happy to hear that you had a really nice time during your stay with us, we appreciate your positive attitude and we're already waiting to welcome you next year.

Warm Regards,
David Tussi, General Manager
Cuernavaca, Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

Precisely the kind of massive hotel I do not enjoy staying in.

Location is gorgeous and rooms are clean and well equipped, but service is lacking, you will be constantly attacked by their army of timeshare salesmen.

No in room wi-fi, courtesy coffee or amenity of any kind.

I do not plan to stay here in the future.

• Stayed November 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank sss s
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review us and for the feedback given towards our hotel, we feel sorry to hear we didn't meet your expectations. We truly hope you reconsider coming back so we can give you the service you deserve.

David Tussi, General Manager