“Beautiful and restful year after year”

Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay
Ranked #2 of 80 Hotels in Mazatlan
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I have been going to this resort for several years and never cease to enjoy it. True, the economy has caused some staffing changes, but having just returned, I found the staff to be adequate, friendly and helpful. If you're looking for a fast-paced, American resort, don't go. The life is relaxing and slow and definitely on Mexican time. The food is delicious and can be more expensive then independent restaurants, but always a treat. The grounds are beautiful and lush. Walking the beach daily restores the soul and allows for treasure hunting. You can swim in one of three pools or the ocean. 2 for 1 drinks during happy hour lessens your need for fast service. Go with a loved one or the family. There's something for everyone, including daily activities provided on-sight. There's also free shuttle service to downtown throughout the day and evening. Did I mention the spa? Take away life's stress and truly relax.

Room Tip: Corner suites on the second floor and higher allow for cross ventilation and no necessity to lock up...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank GrannyB47
Mayra P, General Manager at Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Dear GrannyB47,

We would like to thank for being such a loyal guest to Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay, we are very happy to hear that you had a really nice time during your stay with us, we appreciate your positive attitude and we're already waiting to welcome you next time.

David Tussi, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,093)

Reviewed April 27, 2013

My wife and I along with another couple are timeshare owners at this resort. It is a beautiful property and the employees are wonderful. Very helpful, polite and friendly. The food is excellent if somewhat overpriced. However, the rooms are getting a bit ragged, the water tastes like mud and there is no longer an incentive to buy. All the owners benefits have been dropped due to cost, lack of guests and bad management. Drinks at the swim up bar are quite expensive and service there and at The Bistro is very slow. Much of this is due to not enough employees. After seven years, we are seriously thinking of selling. For people with an excess of money and willing to put up with slow service, its a great place, just don't buy in.

Room Tip: Any room away from the elevators and the main pool
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Highlander41
Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

I went with sone friends last week. I loved Kelly's Bar. Congratulations to the wonderful music by Rafael Rodriguez. I will be back just to hear his music and of course the wonderful happy hour.
Michael Dergar

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank MichaelDergar
Mayra P, General Manager at Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Dear Michael Dergar,

We truly appreciate your kind remarks, we'll make sure to pass your recognition to Rafael. Hope to welcome you anytime soon.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

I travel to Mazatlan regularly (7+ times a year) always staying at well known resorts like the RIU, I thought I would give Pueblo Bonito a try. The surroundings of the hotel are spectacular, a forest feeling, beautiful pools, but for a new hotel the rooms don't look like they haven't been updated since the 50's. Truly the worst experience was the reception staff which is the 1st impression you get when you enter a hotel, they were rude, and the opposite of helpful. I imagine most peoples experiences are good, maybe I just got all the idiots working in one day, for me that tarred the rest of the time there. It's located in the middle of nowhere also!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Dean T
Reviewed April 23, 2013

You can't miss by staying in any of the Pueblo Bonito resorts. They have long been on Conde Nasts lists for the best places to stay and received numerous awards. You will love the menus, entertainment and programs. The gardens are so lovely and the spectacular infinity pool is my favorite. (ok, the pool and Kelly's Bar). We will be back again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank foxycruiser
Mayra P, General Manager at Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

Dear Reviewer,

We feel very happy after reading such a nice review, we really enjoy welcoming people with positive attitude like you. It is great to hear you had an enjoyable and fun stay at Emerald Bay.

Looking forward to welcome you anytime soon!

Reviewed April 20, 2013

The resort is beautiful. Nice gardens, and the property is well kept. The food was great, especially at the Bistro. My room was large and clean, the bathroom could use a little updating. We had a great view, and took note that every room has a great view. The staff was very friendly and our service was really good.
The beach is not good. They do little upkeep. There is alot of garbage that washes ashore, and they do not rake it. There are only a handful of chairs on the beach because no one uses the beach other than taking a walk, but we found you had to be careful not to walk on garbage.
Also the kids club was closed for the whole week we were there, From reading previous reviews, it appears that it is not open at all.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rachel T
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Needless to say, we are timeshare owners. But we have rented extra time from other owners because we love it. We have started to bring some of our kids & grandkids. It's all they talk about -especially during our long, snowy Winters (it's snowing here now btw ). We don't mind the shuttle and are quite used to the short ride. We love the safe feelng at the resort; the gate at the entry, the security and mindfull staff - it makes me feel good especially since we bring our precious grandkids. The ocean views are fantastic to this Minnesota gal. We go into town, buy groceries for the week and cook breakfast, have lunch by the pool and we all go out to eat at night. It is a big deal to get dressed up, take the shuttle and walk to different restaurants in the Golden Zone / Hotel area. The resort is getting older, it can't be brand spanking new forever - nothing ever is - but I still hold my breath when I enter the lobby because I know I'll have a wonderful week. My husband and I always remark that after working hard all year long, we can come to PEEB and get treated like Royalty. This is the place we come to enjoy the fruits of our labors..As for staff, I have never witnessed any staff who was not attentive to us, or our needs. Always a kind greeting as we pass, helpful as much as possible - and I fully recognize it's a job - I'm not always smiling at my job either - I have my moments..Maybe I do not see a problem because I greet them first with a smile and a Buenas Dias/Tardes/Noches. . Yes, I do daydream about PEEB - it's a luxurious resort..so I can't help it. I picture myself walking down the hillside stairs to the pool, having a quiet read, watching our kids enjoy the big pool, watching the sunsets from almost anywhere on the resort, the fishing boats at sea - the pink flamingos !...there is so much to talk about that I could go on..and on...but I actually do have a few things I could see change: How about a Family Night Movie on the beach one night during the week ? For the rooms - move the TV's to a wall in the area by the chairs / patio -so my husband can sleep while I watch TV, Move the tables/chairs by the bed if there's no other space - it's also closer to the kitchen area so I don't have to walk with food across the entire room. Well, that's all I have to say about PEEB - for now - To some reviewers it may not be the best 5-star they've stayed at, but to us it's never less than a 10. PS: If we ever had a problem, it was/is always taken care of as quickly as possible.

Room Tip: Check ahead to confirm your reservatons - it's another country. And, it just makes good travelin...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank matrixgord
Mayra P, General Manager at Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2013

Dear Reviewer,

We feel flattered after reading such a nice review, we really enjoy welcoming people with positive attitude like you. It is great to hear you had an enjoyable and fun stay at Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay, guests like you are what make us feel satisfied for the quality of the service we strive to provide each day.

Roberto Tussi, General Manager

Also, please visit us on Facebook and Twitter, we would love to keep in touch with you and hopefully you will share some of the magical moments captured on camera during your stay.
Facebook: facebook.com/PuebloBonitoResort