“Again at PB Emerald Bay”

Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay
Ranked #2 of 80 Hotels in Mazatlan
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We have been time share owners for a long time, and have always used our time at PB Emerald Bay. It is in a gorgeous setting. I do have to say, however, that the maintenance of the facility is less than I had hoped. We pay annually for maintenance, and I don't think we're getting our money's worth.

They are pushing for people to buy into a future plan that includes 100 yr membership and eliminates the annual obligation of the maintenance fee if you don't use your unit. Instead, they will charge you $1200+ every five years for a "renovation " charge. Why is this not part of the maintenance fee we are already paying?

Employees there are gracious. Many of them have been there for a very long time. A shout out to Jaira who is funny and involved. The woman who does the smoothies is also very nice and competent.

Specifically- Enrique poolside is a great person. He loves his job and strives to be the best.
He anticipates what you might want and is there to make it happen, On his day off, we had
very marginal service.

We had the all-inclusive for our entire trip, and I don't think we will do that again. There are several nights at La Cordeliere that were very good- the Steak night and the Steak and Shrimp night. Otherwise, the buffet style gets tiresome, and there are better options in town. It's handy to have the breakfast buffet, but after a couple of days, you end up just getting smoothies and fruit.

The maid service is adequate, but not great. They used to do bed turndowns with treats on the pillow, but that is totally absent.

The activities group is fun and motivated (notably Cesar). They have pool and sand volleyball games as well as bracelet-weaving , etc. We learned how to play Lotteria. The ceramic painting is always a plus, since they "fix" your mistakes!

Room Tip: Third floor and above are best. If you don't want to deal with kids and noise, the further out...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank cacaone
Write a ReviewReviews (3,093)

Reviewed April 17, 2013

We were a bit worried having read some of the reviews-however, there was nothing to worry about. I think that because most of us have been traveling most of the day to get to beautiful Mazatlan, that we fail to realize that the front desk is working as quickly as they can to accommodate everyones needs and wants. We were asked if we'd like a King - and they were more than happy to find us one! We love coming to Mazatlan and PB Emerald Bay-you can do as much or as little as you want. The grounds are worked on daily - maid service by PAMELA was outstanding - she was quick and efficient. We enjoyed some of the activities hosted by Eduardo, Fermin and Zulema. They made you feel welcomed and remembered you after the first time. I participated in the ceramic painting-they add to your painting and make you look like a seasoned painter. Cesar, bellboy, was friendly and didn't complain when we had bags & bags of groceries.
Security at Emerald Bay is exceptional - your safety is one of their top priorities. Past years, we've taken our sons with us and have never worried about them exploring the grounds or participating in the many activities they have.
I thought perhaps we were at a different resort due to some of the reviews - from personal experience, if you want to find negative you can - but your vacation time should be what you make it!
Would we go back? OF COURSE, it's our home away from home!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kf53
Reviewed April 17, 2013

April 10-17
Bought 3 years ago. 1st time there. I have read most of the reviews and had to double check if I was at the right hotel.
We chose the inclusive meal plan. You have to consider what might be good for YOU. Simple math folks. If you a tea- toadler.. And eat like a bird... Do not use the meal plan. If you are there to watch TV, stay home ( plenty of channels with English.... Really).
Clean room with trustworthy staff. Raul and Ramon at the pool and restaurant are the best. They will keep me coming back.

No problem with check- in ... check-out or anything in between.
Our flight in was over an hour late and the prearranged ride had to be reshuffled. But a margarita at the airport and a 30 minute wait had us back on track to a great bay-cay-shun.

Off campus hints... Ponchos down town and Playa Bruja ($5-5 minute cab ride)
Get over your bad self and enjoy your vacation!!!!!

I did!!!

Stayed: April 2013
3  Thank MontyOKC
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We spent three days in Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay Resort in mid-March, 2013. I was excited to go due to all the beautiful pictures and good reviews listed on TripAdvisor, but sadly, when we arrived we found a once-grand, sprawling and somewhat overgrown huge resort with a skeleton staff who were very disinterested, bored and non-attentive, with no sense of urgency. They were more interested in talking to each other than in serving the guests. I felt like I was interrupting a frat party of boys every time I wanted a drink. It made me feel very uncomfortable.

Most of the resort was empty but at the front desk we were given the choice of immediately obtaining a room far in the back or having to wait for a front central room. We waited, and although room 1515 was huge and clean, the bathroom had grey, foul-smelling water that made us feel dirty AFTER we had showered. We had to open the windows to air out the room because of the terrible odor. It was so bad that I ended up washing my face and hair with bottled water. My $48.00 Mac face wash was stolen out of our room on day two, which was very disappointing. 1515 was an oddly laid out room. The bedroom was much too far from the window that opened, which made it and the ensuite very stuffy and warm. There is such a thing as being too big; I found 1515 too big.

The whole resort was understaffed and cheaply run. They wanted to nickel and dime the guests to death. We were even charged for the cups holding our coffee and were told to not lose them. Really!!! There was a very tiny Internet Café with free service that was S-L-O-W and only worked within a six-step-sized section of the reception area. If we wanted better service, it came at the cost of an additional $30.00 per day. Most of the staff were not upbeat, smiling or service oriented, so it made the ones who were shine very brightly. Kudos to Ivan, the bartender in Kelly’s…he is a rock star! He is sooo good at his job, makes the best martinas in Pueblo Bonito and was the highlight of the staff, for sure. He should work somewhere else! The booze throughout the entire resort was ‘well quality’, except for the premi drinks at Kelly’s Bar, but we had to pay for those above and beyond what was covered by the AI bracelet. One evening, our after dinner drinks for two set us back $65.00. I was ready to leave after the first day but we had already paid for three days/two nights so we stayed.

This is one resort I would never go back to unless it was taken over by some fun, smiley, Carnival Cruise Line staff. It’s amazing how much a well run resort with friendly staff can influence what a patron is willing to tip. I would rather stay in a clean, smaller, less posh resort as long as I felt safe, welcome and pampered. Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay did not offer that!

PRO’S:
Huge property; with a bit of TLC it could regain some of its former splendor.
Lots of huge clean pools and great ones for families and kids
Huge rooftop decks that were great for pictures
Most of the food was good. Bistro had the best; it was kind of hidden but worth the walk.

CON’S:
Stinky showers
Thieving housekeepers
Very slow free internet in a tiny area only
Very expensive better Internet for $30.00 per day
Disinterested skeleton staff
Poor signage
Extremely quiet
Low end crappy booze
Poorly run main restaurant
Sporadic availability of towels
Copious amounts of blackbirds; if you are afraid of birds, stay away!
Reservations were not honored
If you are not a walker, don’t come here!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Binkyljfm
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Went there with my wife and three teenage girls. Everyone had a great time. The activities staff was very helpful and engaging and we participated in activities every day: Beach Volleyball, pool volleyball, Water aerobics, trivia, etc. We also did the all-inclusive meal plan. I read some other comments that the drinks were watered down but we found the opposite to be true most of the time. I found the majority of my drinks on the strong side. The pool and restaurant service was excellent. In fact as the days went on the servers remembered us and automatically took care of certain request and details without us even having to request. We also very much enjoyed the different pools. When my wife and I wanted a lot of activities and music we went to the main pool, but when we wanted peace and quiet we went to the very nice adult pool, having the option was great. The hotel grounds are spectacular, lush and tropical. Finally, my wife and I used the gym on most days and found it very appealing, additionally, my wife used the spa and this is a quote 'that was the best deep tissue massage I have ever had". We also loved the shuttle to the other property and that you could use the all-inclusive at the sister property as well.

On the minus side, the front desk service is slower than it should be, but the people were very nice and helpful. If you are in the older buildings, the rooms are showing wear and tear. The room was clean, but the tile in the room was showing a lot of traffic. The girls were in a newer room which was fantastic, looked great. There is a difference depending on the building.

One final note, the property is outside of Mazatlan and completely safe! Even though we had three teenage girls with us we felt as if we were on vacation alone. I felt completely comfortable with them anywhere on the property without worrying about where they were or what they were doing. It made the vacation more enjoyable for all of us.

Room Tip: Higher is better and ask for newer building.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank BobI591
Mayra P, General Manager at Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Dear Bob,

We feel pleased after reading such a nice and friendly review, we are glad that you had the time to enjoy all of our facilities and that you had a wonderful stay with us.
Looking forward to welcome you and your family anytime soon!

Roberto Tussi, General Manager

Reviewed April 5, 2013

We've travelled a lot, so our expectations might be quite high, but I think that it's fair enough to expect excellent service from a 5 star hotel.
Greeting on arrival: very poor. There were 4 men working behind the counter, they were all busy and stressed out, which didn't make our arrival any relaxing. They were not able to answer our basic questions.

Services: The animation team was not very dynamic. The activities for an all-onclusive were quite poor (or not what we were looking for): blackjack, backgammon, darts, paper flowers and animals made of folded towels. How exciting! At least there was some volleyball and bingo. The announced kid's club was 'out of order' for the ten days we spent there! Very unfortunate dor our child, and ourselves. The service was not of a great quality. We had various answers from different staff to whom we asked questions to. They were not sure about the cost of the gym, if we had to pay to access the tennis courts or when the kid's club would re-open. After many attempts, we found out that the gym costs 17$ US per day (rip-off for an all-inclusive), free tennis lessons were not free, and it cost 5$ per tennis racquet, and no one really knew why the kid's club was closed and when it would re-open.

Hotel itself: wow effect lobby, bright, beautiful, clean, spacious rooms with balcony and kitchenette. Two double beds in the room. Cable tv. Variety of pools. Gardens, exotic birds, water fountains and fish ponds. Great and friendly room service. Many restaurants. Our daughter loved it! Knowing all of the above ahead of time, we would come back to this hotel, especially for the price we paid. But I would not truly rate this hotel a 5-star because of the service and the services offered.

Room Tip: Ask to be near the main pool if you like to be in the action. If not there's a quiter pool at th...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Cynthia R
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay Resort & Spa

The hotel is lovely as was the view from my room. The food was great as was the service.

I did have a problem at check in, however as they did not have my reservation from Expedia. Fortunately I had the confirmation with me. I then found in on my i-pad and took that to the desk. This all took a LONG time as they hotel was very busy. I was told that my reservation was under the wrong name. The nice young man at the check in desk did find me a room finally, but took my credit card to pay for it in case the problem did not go away. By the next day or two, he said he had straightened out the problem. He told me the problem was with Expedia, not the hotel.

That may have been the case; regardless, it was worrisome as it was at a very busy time.

The rest of my stay could not have been better. I will go back, but I will call ahead now to be sure that I do have a reservation.

Room Tip: The rooms all face the ocean, but some are closer than others. I would ask for a studio with an ocea...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank MacKayAlberta
Mayra P, General Manager at Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Dear MacKayAlberta,

Thank you very much for your kind remarks and for taking the time to review us. We apologize for any inconvenience that the check in process may have caused you, but we are glad that everything worked out well. Hope to welcome you to Emerald Bay anytime soon.

Roberto Tussi, General Manager