I have spent a lot of time in the Caribbean, and this was my first trip to the Pacific side of Mexico. I purchased the all inclusive package for 5 days. As has been noted in earlier reviews, this is truly a beautiful resort. The grounds are breathtaking, the facilities are beautiful and well maintained, and the views are fantastic. The resort is peaceful and overall the food was okay. Not phenomenal, but okay. I felt that the all inclusive price was fair for what you got.
The spa is amazing, the treatments are excellent and the facilities are incredible, I would highly recommend one of the massages, and the Hydrotherapy room. The resort is very quiet and peaceful. If you are heading to Mazatlan to party, this is not the resort for you. PB is located in "New Mazatlan" far away from downtown and the hotel strip, and not near any other resorts. I am in my mid 30s and was by far the youngest person I saw there, but this may have been due to the time of year I visited.
Now for some of the negatives. The service was slow at the restaurants and poolside, and it looked like the staff was managing a huge number of guests. The quickest I ever received a drink poolside was 20 minutes, the longest was well over an hour and took 2 requests. No amount of large tip seemed to speed this process up.
Checking in took over an hour, and it seemed like the front desk staff was overwhelmed and unorganized. This was a theme any time I had to deal with the staff regarding appointments, excursions, etc. This was not a great first impression of the hotel, additionally as soon as I had my keys, I was directed to speak to a women who I quickly realized was trying to set me up for a time share sales presentation. I was a little surprised since no where on the web page (where I made my reservation) was there any mention of this being a time share. Additionally I paid "full fare" for my room, and didn't get a discount predicated on sitting through a sales presentation. This person was extremely aggressive and rude. I politely declined several times, and she resorted to insulting me in Spanish (which I assume she didn't think I could understand) when I refused the presentation. That being said I did not hear another word about it after that.
The beach was rocky, and it was too windy / high waves to swim while I was there, but I assume this is due to the time of year of my trip and doesn't represent what the beach would be like in the summer.
A few things that I wish I had known prior to booking were that the resort caters to both the all inclusive trip, and the ala cart trip. The restaurants are all "formal" restaurants in that you are seated by a hostess, and waited on. Tips are not included, and you are asked to sign off on all meals. Each meal takes between 45 minutes and 1.5 hrs due to slow service. So unlike say a Beaches or Sandals resort, you'll need to plan a budget for tipping, and plan on the time it will take to eat. This was fine for me as I was there to relax, but if you are with children, or wanting a more active vacation this could be frustrating.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Each suite comes with a panoramic ocean view from your private balcony and has amenities like outdoor Jacuzzis, a beauty salon with mini-spa and tennis courts nearby. Relax below 150-year-old mangroves that surround a free-form pool and stroll the shoreline by the bay. Located next world famous sport fishing waters, golf courses, and the Gold Zone, you can enjoy any number of nearby activities on both land and water. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Hotwire, Travelocity, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay Hotel Mazatlan
- Mazatlan Emerald Bay
- Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay Mazatlan
- Emerald Bay Mazatlan