All reviewsgreat beachwasher and dryercold poolevery morningresortvacationconciergewaves
Reviewed June 18, 2009

Traveled with 2 adults and 4 teens. This first floor condo was ideally located, just steps away from a glorious pool overlooking the ocean. Sleeping arrangements were comfortable for all, and the kitchen was well-stocked for the several meals we cooked in the unit. The staff was especially friendly and helpful. Management personnel on premises was available for specific questions regarding the unit. The beach is quiet and just a short walk from Playa Bruja, where you can enjoy some scrumptious fresh seafood for a fraction of what you would pay further south in Mazatlan.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 22, 2009

We stayed at the Costa Bonita on Ceritos Beach in February. The weather was perfect as it always is in Mexico this time of year. The location on Ceritos Beach is great. The beach itself is very long and you can have great walks in both directions as the resort is in the middle. The beach is just 10 minutes north of the hotel zone and a perfect place to stay as it is quieter and less touristy. All the people at the condo development were very friendly and they had an evening ritual of one of the residents playing the bagpipes as the sun went down. Our unit was 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms..clean and very well equiped. Very handy bus service into the shopping areas and the historic part of town.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BCJimVancouver_BC
Reviewed March 31, 2008

Just returned from a week at the Costa Bonita and loved it. We were a little apprehensive about booking there after reading some of the reviews on this website. We have two and a half year old twins so we were a little scared of the "cranky owner" who would be taking great pleasure in scolding our kids. Well as luck would have it, she had been chased back to the abyss from whence she came. Everyone we met there, owner and renters, were very freindly. There were actually lots of kids there and we spent a lot of time in the pool and not once did we notice any one coming down on kids.
It's true that there are not that many organized activities at the resort, we had a great time playing on the beach and in the pool. The staff were freindly and the grounds were beautiful. We did not miss the fact that it was not near the "night life" of the Gold Zone because with the age of our kids, we wer glad that the resort was fairly quiet by 8pm. I could see how it would not be the best for families with older kids.
The other complaint we read was the lack of quality linen and towels. We booked our condo through a company that manages condos for absent owners and found that we had an abundance of good quality towels as well as the bedding changes half way through the week. Again no complaints here. We did not eat at the Resturaunt on site but it always seemed to be open when they said it would be open.
The beach is beautiful here. The staff are out there every morning cleaning it and setting out beach chairs. It appeared that some of the staff were slipped a few pesos to reserve some of the beach shelters for more experienced guests (I don't want to call them owners). By seven A.M. some of the wokers were setting up beach chairs under the shelters with towels for their "freinds" who would show up aroun 10 A.M. where they would plant temselves to bake in the warm Mazatlan sun as it shimmered off the sign that read something like "Lounges are not to be reserved...any lounge not used for 45 minutes is up for grabs". Any ways it wasn't a big deal for myself as with two year olds we were never at one place that long. Just an observation.
To conclude, the Costa Bonita is a great place if you have a young family and enjoy the quiet after 8pm. A great family holiday and a wonderful "recharge".

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Bozer
Reviewed February 18, 2008

After reading some of the reviews, I was a little concerned about my choice in places to stay. I think the negative reviews are a bit overblown. My beach vacation is about relaxing, so not having loud pool activities and very few children was a positive thing to me. There was food and beverage service at the beach, although not as frequent as some places I have stayed, I found it to be adequate. The towel situation was a challenge as others have commented. We had to call numerous times for towels, which always seemed to be out to laundry. The staff was always pleasant. The beach was spectacular! Since Costa Bonita is away from the Golden Zone, there was a reduced amount of beach vendors.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank HateSnowLoveBeach
Reviewed January 16, 2008

We rented from an owner the last 10 days of December 2007. It was unseasonably cold (55-60 degrees with a stiff north wind!) which really put a damper on the time you would want to spend on the beach.

The ground floor condo was very nice and I would recommend it (search for Al and Amy's Oceanfront Getaway). The condo is nicely stocked with everything you need. It has a nice (small) patio with a peek-a-boo view of the ocean, which, during this time of the year meant you could watch the sunset from your patio. All in all, a very nice condo should you choose to rent it.

As for the property, it is a mix of owners (lots) and renters (not too many). It has nice beach access, with lounge chairs and palapas, and staff will bring you tables, chairs and pads, as you need them. It has a nice, adults only, hot tub (strictly enforced), and a nice pool--part heated; part not.

When we were there, the "lounge" never opened--in fact it had a sign that said "no food or drink." The restaurant is very plain (breakfast and dinner inside) but good. Lunch is served outside. Again, it was good.

The convenience store is small, but nicely stocked with the basics, but rarely open (it's at the whim of the clerks). I purchased some provisions early on and, upon returning to the room, was pretty sure that I was overcharged $10 bucks or so. Later I purchased some chips and was short changed $10 so I went to the front desk (as opposed to the clerk) and told them. He just handed me $10. Hhhmmm.

Computer room is useful, but is only open when the store clerk will open it for you. Has wi-fi, but I couldn’t get it to work (my fault—and my laziness—I didn’t really care).

Never could use the laundry room. The front desk kept telling me to buy tokens "tomorrow."

Grounds are beautiful and wonderfully maintained. The property is gorgeous and peaceful.

It is located on the bus route so take a moment to familiarize yourself with how the buses work. They cost between fifty and eight CENTS and will take you all throughout Maz. Again, just take a moment to look at the map (available everywhere, including the lobby) to get your bearings and off you'll go. Just give them an American dollar and let them keep the change--they'll always pick you up if you do that.

Please note that this complex is NOT located near anything you will want to see or do in Maz. There are a couple of nice restaurants on the beach to the North, but you are not anywhere near Zona Dorada (Golden Zone); Olas Altos and Centro (downtown). You can easily get there by bus or cab ($8-15, depending on your negotiation skills), but for a buck, the bus trip is the way to go. You cannot possible walk to these destinations. Trust me--they're a long ways away.

But again, it's a great beach (proportionally few beach vendors) and a nice pool, so if you are looking to relax, lie in the sun and enjoy your surroundings, this is a great place. Want noise and nightlife--you'll need Zona Dorada.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank RZnMZ