“Our favorite "home away from home"”

El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel
Ranked #6 of 80 Hotels in Mazatlan
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed February 15, 2011

We have just spent 4 weeks at the El Moro, and can't say enough good things about the hotel and the friendliness of the hotel staff. After a few days the waiters in the restaurants no only know us, but also what we like to drink. Everyone, from the front desk staff to the maids are so friendly and helpful.

The ladies at the Information Desk are so helpful, especially Maru and Claudia! They always have a smile and a "good morning" for us.

The hotel location is so convient to no only the beach, but also to shopping. Transportation is available free of charge to the other El Cid facilities. Also, taxies are always available to take you other places if you want.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2011

Dear SunloverDesMoinesIA

On behalf of all the staff at El Cid Moro Beach Hotel, I would like to thank you for your kind words.

It was fantastic to read that during your stay you found the hotel provided excellent service and that you enjoyed every aspect of the hotel. I have shared this encourage review with Maru, Claudia and all the staff members.

We would like to see you here again, and once more, pamper you.

Warm regards,

Mark Covarrubias Mckay

Write a ReviewReviews (1,928)

Reviewed February 14, 2011

We enjoyed our stay at El Cid El Moro Hotel. The staff were always friendly. The Saturday night shiskabob dinner at the La Concha restaurant was superb. The sunsets were incredibly beautiful from the dining room. The price was very reasonable at the restaurant. The Pronator tours were well done. We took the trips to small town Capola, the tequilla tour and the city tour. We learned about the Mexican history and enjoy the warm welcome we received from the mexican. We had two days of incredibly cold weather we blame us fro bringing it in from Ohio. Apparently many people said they never seen such cold weather the last twenty years. Rico Coffee shop in the shopping area has the best coffee. Wireless internet was great and we use it every evening to surf the net. The beaches of Mazatlan are beautiful and you can take the green bus from the hotel entrance to downtown old Mazatlan for 9 pesos. Everymorning we watch pelicans fishing from our windows. Our maid did a good job of cleaning our rooms. The bedrooms and living room areas were enormous. Hard to believe El Cid has been around for 30 years. It is well maintained.

Dear alohaNewark

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at El Cid Moro Beach Hotel and for taking the time to share this wonderful review.

We are very pleased to note that you enjoyed all that we and the area has to offer. To us, a satisfied customer is seen as a job well done. The team will be very pleased to receive your feedback; positive words are always so uplifting from our clients. We were delighted to see that the room, food service and tours exceeded expectations. We take pride in offering a high quality standard of service to you, our guests.

Again, thank you very much for your kind words; we sincerely hope to have the pleasure of serving you again.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed February 14, 2011

From the time we checked in the day of arrival with Uziel, things were wonderful anytime we needed anything and asked him he took care of it, when we forgot something in our old room , we swithced rooms the last week. He made sure we got it back. Very sharp and professional. Then one of the restaurant mangers Joel, he was also wonderful , he kept his staff on the ball.also very professional. Some of the other waiters that were also wonderful were, Luis, Adrian,Thomas, Angel, Ramon. Victor. I am sure ther were more but I did not get everyones names. It was a wonderful 3 weeks and we did not want to go home.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2011

Dear: Elainebo

We were absolute delighted to read this review, We'll be sure to congratulate Uziel on making such a great impression with his warm and friendly welcome, as well as all food and beverage staff
I'm pleased that you had a relaxing and hassle free stay at El Cid Moro Hotel; my goal achieved and I am sure you will become our frequent guest and will all be more than happy to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed February 13, 2011

We returned to the El Cid in February 2011 and as always, were impressed with the hotel staff. On our previous visit we stayed at the Granada, which is a lovely place and I would have no problems going back there but I had a chance at a upgraded room at the Moro so it was a nice change.

The room we were given was absolutely amazing. 2 bathrooms, living area, kitchen, bedroom and ceiling to wall view of the ocean.

The food at the El Cid is very average, people should expect this at any 3+ star hotel. Try the Italian ala carte, it's very good. If your a picky eater I would suggest going with the European plan.

The Castilla set up a big screen in the lobby bar for the Super Bowl and if you were all inclusive it was free! They also served wings and ribs which was awesome.

I would return, but not in February... it was TERRIBLY COLD!

1  Thank CorbLund

Dear: CorbLund

Thank you for the feedback about your recent stay. It is our goal for each and every guest to have an enjoyable and comfortable stay while at our hotel.

As a part of our commitment to constant improvement and delivering greater value to our guests we guarantee that every visit to our hotel will be a unique and memorable experience, so letting us know how good we performed during your stay is a real great help to us.

Finally I would like to thank you once again for your feedback and we hope that you’ll continue to give us opportunities to serve you and hope that your future stays with us will be even more enjoyable

Kind Regards

Reviewed February 1, 2011

El Cid has a very nice beach and easy access to nice shopping, but overall the rooms are mediocre, the pool area too loud and the food at the Fiesta not even warm. One of the Timeshare information specialists (Maru) saved the week by her friendliness, low key approach and good advice about dining and spas. Also, the tour to the tequila factory and small town near Mazatlan was excellent.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank miriam062
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2011

Dear miriam062

On behalf of all the staff at El Cid Moro, I would like to express our most sincere gratitude for your comments, we are aware that without them, it is not possible to us to note how we are doing our job.

El Cid Resorts always takes pride in delivering high level standards in service and facilities, for that reason I am truly concerned to read that we did not meet your expectations in some aspects of the hotel, and for that I apologize I would like to let you know that we will analyze them to take the necessary actions to improve those points.

On a positive note, I am pleased to note that the service delivered by Maru, contributed in that you had a better stay.

Indeed, we hope that you give us other opportunity to prove we are working hard to make it better.

Kind regards,

Reviewed January 30, 2011

I ate something at the hotel pool that did not agree with me. I woke in the middle of the night very sick to my stomach. Rather than be sick all over the floor , I grabbed a hand-towel...big mistake. The rest of the week was good, nice rooms, good service..it was very nice week. Yesterday, at checkout I was told, not asked....to pay $25 US Dollars...FOR A HAND TOWEL...I was mortified, and appalled as I gave Carlos my credit card. This completely ruined the entire week for us. My children have been sick at Resorts, and we've never been asked to pay for a towel. I can see if it was the large bath towel...but $25 dollars for a Hand-Towel??!!. I don't want a reply from the Manager...my opinions of El Cid are now fixed...I'd rather have my $25 Dllrs. Anita Davis, Mpls, MN.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank matrixgord
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2011

Dear matrixgord

On behalf of all the staff at El Cid Moro Beach Hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your experience at this your resort. I am delighted that you enjoyed of the facilities and service provided by all the staff. By the other hand, I sincerely regret how the situation you mention was handled,please accept our most sincere apologies for any inconvenience we caused you, I also regret that this matter made you to change the good impression you had from the entire week.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor. We appreciate all kind of comments; through them we can measure the level of satisfaction of our guests.

We really hope that you give us the opportunity to prove you we can make it better.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed January 25, 2011

My wife, in-laws, 2 good friends, and I just returned from our week long stay at El Cid El Moro. Although the small wedding on the beach was great, the overall experience in Mazatlan wasn't quite up to my expectations.

The flight in was just fine outside of a short delay due to the heavy fog in the area. We had transportation arranged through El Moro and loaded up on the bus bypassing all of the other offers to take us to our hotel. Once we left the airport the initial sight of the city caught me off guard. The town was very run down and it seemed EVERY building was covered in graffitti. I could not believe how bad it looked. Once we eventually got to the Golden Zone things were a lot better though.

Check-in was easy. No problems there. We were able to change out our room from 2419 to 2724 which made all the difference in the world. The view we had from the top was absolutely amazing. The room was HUGE! Cleanliness was not an issue, however the room really needed to be updated. The beds were very firm, nearly uncomfortable. The great view pretty much made up for everything the room itself lacked though.

Getting around wasn't a problem. There was always a ride waiting outside if you needed one. 50 pesos would get you to just about anywhere in the Golden Zone.

We chose not to go with the all-inclusive plan. It was overpriced in my opinion and there were too many limitations placed on the plan. The alcohol selection was somewhat limited also. There were only a few premium liquors available. We chose to eat at La Concha once and that was enough for us. It was overpriced as well and the food wasn't as good as other restaurants nearby.

I wad not overly impressed with the property of the hotel. Landscaping was average and the poolside entertainment crew was lacking. The heated pool was nice especially since the layout of the pool limits the amount of sunlight that reaches it. You end up swimming in the shade most of the time. The beach area was nice. It was kept clean and the wait staff frequently checked on you.

We were able to visit other resorts in the area on this trip and got to see the potential of the area which was much better than what El Cid had to offer. I'm not trying to tear the place apart or bad mouth it whatsoever so I hope this honest review doesn't come across that way. Nothing about El Moro was bad, there was just a lot of room for improvement.

• Stayed: January 2011
1  Thank strick1404
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2011

Dear strick1404

Greetings from the Pearl of the Pacific!!! Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion on Tripadvisor.com following your recent visit with us.

I was delighted to learn that you found our staff attentive and that you had a great view from your room. Although some aspects of the hotel were not to your satisfaction. We continue to make improvements to the hotel and value the feedback. I have shared your review with the F & B team in order that they may address your constructive comments in an endeavor to improve our services.

May I take this opportunity to thank you very much again for selecting our hotel in Mazatlan; my team and I, hope that the few negative points of the holiday will not deter you from returning to El Cid Moro Beach Hotel again in a near future.

Yours sincerely,