“Excellent Place to Vacation!”

El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel
Ranked #6 of 80 Hotels in Mazatlan
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed March 26, 2013

This was my first time staying at El Cid El Moro, as well as my first time in Mexico. I was not disappointed!! I loved everything about my stay at El Cid El Moro. The location was perfect; not too close to Old Mazatlan but not far enough away to be an inconvenience. I would not advise going all inclusive for more than a day or two as the hotel is located on a main street with plenty of fantastic dining options.

I agree with the review that said the staff was second to none. The number one reason why I could enjoy my vacation as much as I did was due to the staff. Everyone was helpful, nice and amiable, from the housekeepers who always said hello when I walked by to the waiters on the beach who were on top of getting me drinks and food whenever I needed them. I have never been somewhere where everyone was so pleasing to be around and seemed truly happy with what they did. I wish I could remember everyone who helped make my vacation so pleasant. (In fact, there probably wouldn't be enough room here to name everyone if I could remember...) I will mention Enrike (actividades) and Carlos (lifeguard) at the main/central pool who both had a great sense of humor and were super helpful and enjoyable to be around.

I meet many visitors that come to El Cid El Moro year after year and I understand why. I definitely want to come back and vacation here again!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

Dear: Sir or Madam,

We feel very proud to read that in your first time to Mexico you’re choosing El Cid Moro in among options in Mazatlan.

I’m also pleased with the aspects of the hotel for which you have commented positively such as the pool, room, facilities and most important the terrific personalized service you received from Enrike from activities and Carlos (lifeguard); I am glad to hear that they and the rest of the staff anticipated your needs and went beyond expectations. Great service is not a matter of luck here at El Cid, I am sure you'll have seen many smiling clients who like you, enjoyed their stay.

We look forward to having the sincere pleasure of welcoming you back to El Cid Moro Beach
Hotel in the future and if I personally can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Warm regards

Salvatore Sanchez

Write a ReviewReviews (1,928)

Reviewed March 21, 2013

This was our third year to travel to El Cid El Moro and it is definitely going to be yearly thing. The hotel staff is second to none. Our housekeeper, Adriana Ozuna, was terrific and so accomodating. The Sales staff, especially Rui Veloso and Jamie San, met our every need for services during our stay. Sergio Rojo was a delight to see and talk to. He even gave me a rose! The pool staff, Enrike, Felix, Angel and Francisco Tertantia were so personable and so much fun. They gave us the ins and outs of Mazatlan. Josefa Larrangha and Josefina Flores in the spa were wonderful as always. Michele at the poolside restaurant was very helpful with our dinner plans. All in all, it's the view and the city that bring us to Mazatlan but it's the hotel staff that brings us to El Cid.

Room Tip: 2/3 bedrooms on the end are the best. One bedrooms on the south side are also good.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2013

Dear: Donn T

Wow! How great to here you enjoy our hotel so much and you keep coming back each year !!! I am so thankful for my staff and there outstanding work I’m glad to have
Them as part of our team because they are the ones who help make El Cid this best it can be. It is so good to know that my staff played a big role in helping to make your vacations
Exquisite! Rest assure that they will be given the recognition they deserve. We are so lucky to be able to enjoy Mazatlan year round with its beautiful scenery, beaches, and agriculture.

I’m glad you were able to experience some of it . I hope you keep coming yearly and we keep meeting your expectations and making your vacations one of the best because you deserve it !
If you ever have any questions or need help with anything in a future stay please don´t hesitate to ask it is our job to make sure that all our guest are satisfied and we fulfill each and one of their needs.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed March 20, 2013

We returned last week from an amazingly great experience at El Cid El Moro. This was our first time in Mazatlan and our first experience staying at a large resort. In the past we’ve gravitated to smaller properties believing we received more personal service. We were pleasantly surprised to find our assumption was wrong ~ we were treated like family. The minute we stepped off the van Juan Carlos took control of us and our bags and led us to Rosy at the front desk who made us feel so welcome to our new environment. When we were led to our room it wasn't the view we were hoping for, however when we requested a change, without hesitation they found us a different room with a spectacular view.

The staff were so warm and friendly it seemed like we had been coming there for years. Staff greeted us with a smile each time they saw us and asked if we needed anything. The breakfast buffets at La Concha, the ocean front restaurant that provided a breathtaking setting were very good. We also had breakfast at the Marina, which was also very good with a very different and pleasant setting. We had three AMAZING dinners in La Concha. First Chef Antonio took great pride in treating us to basic Mexican fare not on menu. The best Queso Chile Relleno we've ever had along with tamales and chicken stuffed with pumpkin flower. The evening was only made better by the attention given to us by Javier and Captain Antonio. On our next visit, we had the incredibly rich and tasty Lobster Bisque with a Lobster dinner that Chef prepared to a buttery tenderness. Again Javier "the great" and Captain Antonio were superb. Our last dinner we had a marvelous spicy shrimp ceviche and seafood soup and a repeat of the Chili Relleno with more outstanding service from Candelario and the ever present Antonios.

Thank you to Rudy and a special thank you to Samantha from the front office PR for being our guardian angel and treating us so special.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Dear:Sir

I want to express my thanks to you for choosing El Cid Moro in your first time to Mazatlan and for your kind words and encouragement…for that especially, we thank you. It is our intent to provide you with not only a wonderful and enjoyable stay, but also an unforgettable one.
We were very pleased to note that you enjoyed our restaurants and the food are on your needs and also I am glad to read the very detailed and objective comments of our staff… succeeded in exceeding your service expectations.

My team and I cannot wait to assist you on your next vacation, your BEST one yet!.

Juan Carlos, Rosy, Chef Antonio, Javier, Rudy and Samantha are waiting for you and your family to relax and enjoy your holiday; obviously we can do better than we were doing before.
As soon as you´re ready to begin planning your reservation, feel free to contact me, it will be a pleasure to help you.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

We bought a 20 year timeshare here. The last few years we exchanged our time because we have no desire to go back. Do not buy a timeshare there!!!!!!!!!!!! Things promised will not be in the contract. Things given in the contract will be taken away (They have that right by contract.) Maintenance fees are "open ended" and will rise yearly several times the rate of inflation. They double and double again during the contract. We can stay in a nicer place for the cost if "maintenance" now.
All thus hassle to stay in a hotel that has seen better days.

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank TPCCBC
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Dear: TPCCBC,

We appreciate you contacting El Cid and we are very sorry to hear of your disappointment with the program. Would you kindly contact ownersrelations@elcid.com.mx or provide us with your email address so our customer service team can speak with you directly.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

El Moro, a true staple of Mazatlan, still great in a lot of ways but does need some renovations, especially the rooms.
I have a history with this hotel as my folks retired to Mazatlan and bought a home at the Country Club when I was in high school, I am now 52. Folks are now gone and my sisters and I stopped going because of fear of the drug cartels. Just stayed for 9 days, first time in 3 years...FANTASTIC, again, some renovations are needed but the hotel overall is very nice.
The service is second to none, Aaron, Tomas, Felix, are just a few of my favorite waiters on the beach, I have known them my entire adult life.
I was especially pleased with the growth that Mazatlan is experiencing. Building everywhere, the city of Mazatlan is really thriving. I thought the streets were cleaner then I ever remember.

Room Tip: Forget the pool, the beach is beautiful!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Dear: Julie D

Thank you for taking the time in writing this review and giving us your honest opinion on your outlook of the hotel. I’d like to take a moment to comment that we are working on some renovation so slowly but surely we can progress and eventually have everything that needs to be updated in order. I am glad to know that you have been with us for some many years now and I hope this is a continuing cycle It is unfortunate that Mazatlan has gotten a bad rep because of the violence that went on in Mexico but I would like to thank you for your confidence and for coming back to Mazatlan and giving it another opportunity. I’m glad you had such a great time and everything was still as great as you remembered we always try to maintain that outstanding service. Rest assure that my staff well me giving the recognition they deserve I couldn´t be any more proud of their hard labor. We hope to assist you soon and make yet again another memorable vacation.

Warm greetings,

Reviewed March 19, 2013

We stayed at El Cid's El Moro tower most recently March 2012. It is located right on the beach with a fabulous pool, swim-up bar and jacuzzi and only steps down to the beach. The food and service are fantastic. The down-side: The plumbing is noisy and old. When we let the water out of our tub, it flooded our unit. It didn't overflow, it came up through the drain in the floor. The next morning we were moved to a different unit. Unfortunately in every unit we've stayed in the mattresses were like sleeping on solid wood. By the end of each week I could hardly walk, my hips were so sore. If they would spend a little money on updating/renovating this would be a 5 star review!

Room Tip: If you don't like hard (beyond firm) mattresses, I would ask if there are other options.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Dear: larndt

Thank you for sharing your recent guest experience on Tripadvisor. We take our guest comments very seriously and appreciate the time you have taken. El Cid Moro is a great Hotel and has a superb staff and I am glad to read that you are able to enjoy our great beach, nice pools and Jacuzzi. I have also addressed your mention about the meals with our food & beverage director.

I appreciate the fact that you recognized the staff was responsive. We take great pride in what we do.

As I already mentioned in other reviews we keep working on renovations at the hotel, we have a quick advance , I would like to show you some of our progress in your next stay. We take all comments and feedback very seriously, that is the only way we can improve our service delivery.

I hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future. Please call me personally next time, and it will be my pleasure to make your arrangements.

Salvador Sanchez

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I bought a timeshare at this El Cid resort that ran for 20 years. After about 10 years the maintenance fee was so high it was costing me money to keep this timeshare. I wrote multiple emails to the company asking that my contract be terminated. I stopped using the timeshare and before I knew it a collection company was calling and put a lien on my home for more than $1000. Beware of El Cid timeshares. They'll abuse you with their maintenance fees and then send you to a collection agency if you try to get out of the contract. I'll never stay with them again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple