“First time, definitely not last!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel

El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel
Ranked #4 of 80 Hotels in Mazatlan
Mpls, Mn
“First time, definitely not last!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We returned last week from an amazingly great experience at El Cid El Moro. This was our first time in Mazatlan and our first experience staying at a large resort. In the past we’ve gravitated to smaller properties believing we received more personal service. We were pleasantly surprised to find our assumption was wrong ~ we were treated like family. The minute we stepped off the van Juan Carlos took control of us and our bags and led us to Rosy at the front desk who made us feel so welcome to our new environment. When we were led to our room it wasn't the view we were hoping for, however when we requested a change, without hesitation they found us a different room with a spectacular view.

The staff were so warm and friendly it seemed like we had been coming there for years. Staff greeted us with a smile each time they saw us and asked if we needed anything. The breakfast buffets at La Concha, the ocean front restaurant that provided a breathtaking setting were very good. We also had breakfast at the Marina, which was also very good with a very different and pleasant setting. We had three AMAZING dinners in La Concha. First Chef Antonio took great pride in treating us to basic Mexican fare not on menu. The best Queso Chile Relleno we've ever had along with tamales and chicken stuffed with pumpkin flower. The evening was only made better by the attention given to us by Javier and Captain Antonio. On our next visit, we had the incredibly rich and tasty Lobster Bisque with a Lobster dinner that Chef prepared to a buttery tenderness. Again Javier "the great" and Captain Antonio were superb. Our last dinner we had a marvelous spicy shrimp ceviche and seafood soup and a repeat of the Chili Relleno with more outstanding service from Candelario and the ever present Antonios.

Thank you to Rudy and a special thank you to Samantha from the front office PR for being our guardian angel and treating us so special.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear:Sir

I want to express my thanks to you for choosing El Cid Moro in your first time to Mazatlan and for your kind words and encouragement…for that especially, we thank you. It is our intent to provide you with not only a wonderful and enjoyable stay, but also an unforgettable one.
We were very pleased to note that you enjoyed our restaurants and the food are on your needs and also I am glad to read the very detailed and objective comments of our staff… succeeded in exceeding your service expectations.

My team and I cannot wait to assist you on your next vacation, your BEST one yet!.

Juan Carlos, Rosy, Chef Antonio, Javier, Rudy and Samantha are waiting for you and your family to relax and enjoy your holiday; obviously we can do better than we were doing before.
As soon as you´re ready to begin planning your reservation, feel free to contact me, it will be a pleasure to help you.

Salvatore Sanchez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
Newcastle, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We bought a 20 year timeshare here. The last few years we exchanged our time because we have no desire to go back. Do not buy a timeshare there!!!!!!!!!!!! Things promised will not be in the contract. Things given in the contract will be taken away (They have that right by contract.) Maintenance fees are "open ended" and will rise yearly several times the rate of inflation. They double and double again during the contract. We can stay in a nicer place for the cost if "maintenance" now.
All thus hassle to stay in a hotel that has seen better days.

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank TPCCBC
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear: TPCCBC,

We appreciate you contacting El Cid and we are very sorry to hear of your disappointment with the program. Would you kindly contact ownersrelations@elcid.com.mx or provide us with your email address so our customer service team can speak with you directly.

Fairfield, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

El Moro, a true staple of Mazatlan, still great in a lot of ways but does need some renovations, especially the rooms.
I have a history with this hotel as my folks retired to Mazatlan and bought a home at the Country Club when I was in high school, I am now 52. Folks are now gone and my sisters and I stopped going because of fear of the drug cartels. Just stayed for 9 days, first time in 3 years...FANTASTIC, again, some renovations are needed but the hotel overall is very nice.
The service is second to none, Aaron, Tomas, Felix, are just a few of my favorite waiters on the beach, I have known them my entire adult life.
I was especially pleased with the growth that Mazatlan is experiencing. Building everywhere, the city of Mazatlan is really thriving. I thought the streets were cleaner then I ever remember.

Room Tip: Forget the pool, the beach is beautiful!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear: Julie D

Thank you for taking the time in writing this review and giving us your honest opinion on your outlook of the hotel. I’d like to take a moment to comment that we are working on some renovation so slowly but surely we can progress and eventually have everything that needs to be updated in order. I am glad to know that you have been with us for some many years now and I hope this is a continuing cycle It is unfortunate that Mazatlan has gotten a bad rep because of the violence that went on in Mexico but I would like to thank you for your confidence and for coming back to Mazatlan and giving it another opportunity. I’m glad you had such a great time and everything was still as great as you remembered we always try to maintain that outstanding service. Rest assure that my staff well me giving the recognition they deserve I couldn´t be any more proud of their hard labor. We hope to assist you soon and make yet again another memorable vacation.

Warm greetings,

Reno, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

We stayed at El Cid's El Moro tower most recently March 2012. It is located right on the beach with a fabulous pool, swim-up bar and jacuzzi and only steps down to the beach. The food and service are fantastic. The down-side: The plumbing is noisy and old. When we let the water out of our tub, it flooded our unit. It didn't overflow, it came up through the drain in the floor. The next morning we were moved to a different unit. Unfortunately in every unit we've stayed in the mattresses were like sleeping on solid wood. By the end of each week I could hardly walk, my hips were so sore. If they would spend a little money on updating/renovating this would be a 5 star review!

Room Tip: If you don't like hard (beyond firm) mattresses, I would ask if there are other options.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear: larndt

Thank you for sharing your recent guest experience on Tripadvisor. We take our guest comments very seriously and appreciate the time you have taken. El Cid Moro is a great Hotel and has a superb staff and I am glad to read that you are able to enjoy our great beach, nice pools and Jacuzzi. I have also addressed your mention about the meals with our food & beverage director.

I appreciate the fact that you recognized the staff was responsive. We take great pride in what we do.

As I already mentioned in other reviews we keep working on renovations at the hotel, we have a quick advance , I would like to show you some of our progress in your next stay. We take all comments and feedback very seriously, that is the only way we can improve our service delivery.

I hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future. Please call me personally next time, and it will be my pleasure to make your arrangements.

Salvador Sanchez
Orem, Utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I bought a timeshare at this El Cid resort that ran for 20 years. After about 10 years the maintenance fee was so high it was costing me money to keep this timeshare. I wrote multiple emails to the company asking that my contract be terminated. I stopped using the timeshare and before I knew it a collection company was calling and put a lien on my home for more than $1000. Beware of El Cid timeshares. They'll abuse you with their maintenance fees and then send you to a collection agency if you try to get out of the contract. I'll never stay with them again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Steve T
Dear: steve T

Provo, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

El Moro is located along a beautiful beach and has absolutely spectacular sunsets. The hotel itself is very nice, although it is getting a little older, but still has good bones. The resteraunts were very good; we were impressed by the fresh taco bar in the Mexican resteraunt. They also have an Italian resteraunt and Sushi bar. The poolside food and drinks were good also. The shrimp cocktails were fabulous! We loved the Pinadas and mango margeritas. We don't drink so I can't tell you what that was like, but we loved all of our non-alcoholic drinks. The beds really are very hard, but the staff was fantastic!

Room Tip: If you are willing to go to the sales presentation they will upgrade your room with a balcony ocean...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear: Leslie T,

We are most grateful for your very kind comments. We love to read your review which is very important to us in order to evaluate our performance! Great to hear also that you enjoyed our beaches, spectaculars sunset and the hotel surroundings.

It is really nice to read about the positive experiences you have had with our service restaurants, our fantastic staff and dinner experience. Your feedback will be shared with the service team. We try to select the best products for our guests and include healthy and local products for both our breakfast menu as well as our à la carte menu for lunch & dinner.

However, we would like to apologize for the hard beds. We have an extra padding for make more comfortable beds.

Please do contact me in advance if you are planning to come back to Mazatlan, I will be pleased to welcome you personally at El Cid Moro Beach Hotel!

Hope to see you soon,

Riverview, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Great salad for lunch today at the El Cid Morrow Hotel.There BBQ on Monday evenings are excellent. Exceptional ocean view lovely walk from the El Cid Marina Resort.

Of course not to forget to mention the strawberry margaritas, awesome.
Love Mazatlan.
El Cid Marina staff go out of there way to make everyone a prefect holiday. They are so helpful and work hard. Hats off to all the staff.

Room Tip: Ocean view exceptional. Sunset is a must to view. I like building A it has bigger view of the ocea...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear: 135Trip2013

A million thanks for writing such an outstanding review! I am very appreciative of your recognition and that you found our food and our facilities to your fit your standards we always try to keep everything in tip top shape to give our guest a memorable stay!!

I will pass on your kind comments to my fellow employees they will be happy to hear they were recognized for their hard work I am almost positive that this will serve them in keeping up their hard work! I hope we see you again so and let us yet again make your vacations exceptional!!!!

Cordially,