“Beautiful Mazatlan” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Fairfield, California
“Beautiful Mazatlan”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

El Moro, a true staple of Mazatlan, still great in a lot of ways but does need some renovations, especially the rooms.
I have a history with this hotel as my folks retired to Mazatlan and bought a home at the Country Club when I was in high school, I am now 52. Folks are now gone and my sisters and I stopped going because of fear of the drug cartels. Just stayed for 9 days, first time in 3 years...FANTASTIC, again, some renovations are needed but the hotel overall is very nice.
The service is second to none, Aaron, Tomas, Felix, are just a few of my favorite waiters on the beach, I have known them my entire adult life.
I was especially pleased with the growth that Mazatlan is experiencing. Building everywhere, the city of Mazatlan is really thriving. I thought the streets were cleaner then I ever remember.

Room Tip: Forget the pool, the beach is beautiful!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear: Julie D

Thank you for taking the time in writing this review and giving us your honest opinion on your outlook of the hotel. I’d like to take a moment to comment that we are working on some renovation so slowly but surely we can progress and eventually have everything that needs to be updated in order. I am glad to know that you have been with us for some many years now and I hope this is a continuing cycle It is unfortunate that Mazatlan has gotten a bad rep because of the violence that went on in Mexico but I would like to thank you for your confidence and for coming back to Mazatlan and giving it another opportunity. I’m glad you had such a great time and everything was still as great as you remembered we always try to maintain that outstanding service. Rest assure that my staff well me giving the recognition they deserve I couldn´t be any more proud of their hard labor. We hope to assist you soon and make yet again another memorable vacation.

Warm greetings,

Salvatore Sanchez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
Reno, Nevada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

We stayed at El Cid's El Moro tower most recently March 2012. It is located right on the beach with a fabulous pool, swim-up bar and jacuzzi and only steps down to the beach. The food and service are fantastic. The down-side: The plumbing is noisy and old. When we let the water out of our tub, it flooded our unit. It didn't overflow, it came up through the drain in the floor. The next morning we were moved to a different unit. Unfortunately in every unit we've stayed in the mattresses were like sleeping on solid wood. By the end of each week I could hardly walk, my hips were so sore. If they would spend a little money on updating/renovating this would be a 5 star review!

Room Tip: If you don't like hard (beyond firm) mattresses, I would ask if there are other options.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear: larndt

Thank you for sharing your recent guest experience on Tripadvisor. We take our guest comments very seriously and appreciate the time you have taken. El Cid Moro is a great Hotel and has a superb staff and I am glad to read that you are able to enjoy our great beach, nice pools and Jacuzzi. I have also addressed your mention about the meals with our food & beverage director.

I appreciate the fact that you recognized the staff was responsive. We take great pride in what we do.

As I already mentioned in other reviews we keep working on renovations at the hotel, we have a quick advance , I would like to show you some of our progress in your next stay. We take all comments and feedback very seriously, that is the only way we can improve our service delivery.

I hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future. Please call me personally next time, and it will be my pleasure to make your arrangements.

Salvador Sanchez
Orem, Utah
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

I bought a timeshare at this El Cid resort that ran for 20 years. After about 10 years the maintenance fee was so high it was costing me money to keep this timeshare. I wrote multiple emails to the company asking that my contract be terminated. I stopped using the timeshare and before I knew it a collection company was calling and put a lien on my home for more than $1000. Beware of El Cid timeshares. They'll abuse you with their maintenance fees and then send you to a collection agency if you try to get out of the contract. I'll never stay with them again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Steve T
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear: steve T

We appreciate you contacting El Cid and we are very sorry to hear of your disappointment with the program. Would you kindly contact ownersrelations@elcid.com.mx or provide us with your email address so our customer service team can speak with you directly.

Provo, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

El Moro is located along a beautiful beach and has absolutely spectacular sunsets. The hotel itself is very nice, although it is getting a little older, but still has good bones. The resteraunts were very good; we were impressed by the fresh taco bar in the Mexican resteraunt. They also have an Italian resteraunt and Sushi bar. The poolside food and drinks were good also. The shrimp cocktails were fabulous! We loved the Pinadas and mango margeritas. We don't drink so I can't tell you what that was like, but we loved all of our non-alcoholic drinks. The beds really are very hard, but the staff was fantastic!

Room Tip: If you are willing to go to the sales presentation they will upgrade your room with a balcony ocean...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear: Leslie T,

We are most grateful for your very kind comments. We love to read your review which is very important to us in order to evaluate our performance! Great to hear also that you enjoyed our beaches, spectaculars sunset and the hotel surroundings.

It is really nice to read about the positive experiences you have had with our service restaurants, our fantastic staff and dinner experience. Your feedback will be shared with the service team. We try to select the best products for our guests and include healthy and local products for both our breakfast menu as well as our à la carte menu for lunch & dinner.

However, we would like to apologize for the hard beds. We have an extra padding for make more comfortable beds.

Please do contact me in advance if you are planning to come back to Mazatlan, I will be pleased to welcome you personally at El Cid Moro Beach Hotel!

Hope to see you soon,

Riverview, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

Great salad for lunch today at the El Cid Morrow Hotel.There BBQ on Monday evenings are excellent. Exceptional ocean view lovely walk from the El Cid Marina Resort.

Of course not to forget to mention the strawberry margaritas, awesome.
Love Mazatlan.
El Cid Marina staff go out of there way to make everyone a prefect holiday. They are so helpful and work hard. Hats off to all the staff.

Room Tip: Ocean view exceptional. Sunset is a must to view. I like building A it has bigger view of the ocea...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear: 135Trip2013

A million thanks for writing such an outstanding review! I am very appreciative of your recognition and that you found our food and our facilities to your fit your standards we always try to keep everything in tip top shape to give our guest a memorable stay!!

I will pass on your kind comments to my fellow employees they will be happy to hear they were recognized for their hard work I am almost positive that this will serve them in keeping up their hard work! I hope we see you again so and let us yet again make your vacations exceptional!!!!

Cordially,

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

first time to mexico not sure what to expest, very good impression. slightly dated but clean rooms. great service and food. beutiful view in the morning from the deck. must do the city tour and try the rocky shrimp . would definately go back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Dear: Maurice D

A million thanks for writing such an outstanding review! I am very appreciative of your recognition and that you found our food, rooms and services to your fit your standards we always try to keep everything in tip top shape to give our guest a memorable stay!!

As already mentioned in other reviews we are still working in renovations, is a project which we expect to complete this year, always striving to be better for our customers.

I hope we see you again so and let us yet again make your vacations exceptional!!!!!!!
Cordially,

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

We did have great time at El Cid Moro over a 2 week stay. We did the European Plan the first week, All-Inclusive the second.

First the bad:
Our tastes and expectations are 5 star, so we were initially disappointed with the dated look and feel. There had obviously been some renovations over the years: counters, floors, etc. but the walls were definitely out of the 70's. Inside and out, they were "popcorn" stucco, dime-sized rocks painted white. The plumbing was a little noisy, ours and others.

It wasn't always easy to get service at the pool. The service at the adult only pool was definitely better. Don't even try to go to dinner without a reservation while on the All-Inclusive. Even if the restaurants are half empty they won't let you in.

Now the good:
The service was always friendly. El Moro is close to many restaurants, either by walking, or via the many open air taxis. The 3 different pools offer plenty of options for sun, shade, and shelter from any breeze. The food was always good, with a decent amount of variety. (Just don't order Mexican beef. Maybe I'm spoiled being from Alberta, but even the T-bone steak at the El Cid Marina restaurant was stringy, tough, and tasted blah. But that's just foolish of me. Why would anyone be ordering beef in the seafood capital of Mexico!?)

Also good: Sunsets. Sailing. Seafood. Heated pools. TSN. They take Canadian money!

Recommendations:
Topolos restaurant in the Historical District (Plazuela Machado). Walking the Malecon (beach). Deer Island tour for a quiet beach day (no vendors). Gus Gus restaurant.

Don't do the All-Inclusive. There are enough good restaurants in and around the resort and they're not that expensive.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Danton L
Dear: Danton L,

It is really nice to read about the positive experiences you have had with our service staff and breakfast experience. Your feedback will be shared with the service team. We try to select the best products for our guests and include healthy and local products for both our breakfast menu as well as our à la carte menu for lunch & dinner.

We have noted your comments on the reservations to the restaurant regarding to ability in A la carte restaurants, just to clarify we have a policy of reservation where reserve one day in advance, either by phone or directly at the office, I am sorry if you don't are able to had the opportunity to reserve, course we make an exceptions if for some reason our customers couldn't book one of our restaurants.

We value each and every comment from our guests and it was disconcerting to learn that our Kids Club services did not meet your expectations. I apologize for any inconveniences that resulted from our shortcomings. The staff of El Cid Resorts continues to review our operations each and every day. Your comments have been shared with the Management and we will use them to guide our ongoing efforts at improvement.

I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel.

Kind regards,