“Beware of El Cid's Contract and Fees” 1 of 5 stars
Review of El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel

El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel
Ranked #4 of 80 Hotels in Mazatlan
Orem, Utah
“Beware of El Cid's Contract and Fees”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I bought a timeshare at this El Cid resort that ran for 20 years. After about 10 years the maintenance fee was so high it was costing me money to keep this timeshare. I wrote multiple emails to the company asking that my contract be terminated. I stopped using the timeshare and before I knew it a collection company was calling and put a lien on my home for more than $1000. Beware of El Cid timeshares. They'll abuse you with their maintenance fees and then send you to a collection agency if you try to get out of the contract. I'll never stay with them again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
3 Thank Steve T
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear: steve T

We appreciate you contacting El Cid and we are very sorry to hear of your disappointment with the program. Would you kindly contact ownersrelations@elcid.com.mx or provide us with your email address so our customer service team can speak with you directly.

Salvatore Sanchez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
Provo, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

El Moro is located along a beautiful beach and has absolutely spectacular sunsets. The hotel itself is very nice, although it is getting a little older, but still has good bones. The resteraunts were very good; we were impressed by the fresh taco bar in the Mexican resteraunt. They also have an Italian resteraunt and Sushi bar. The poolside food and drinks were good also. The shrimp cocktails were fabulous! We loved the Pinadas and mango margeritas. We don't drink so I can't tell you what that was like, but we loved all of our non-alcoholic drinks. The beds really are very hard, but the staff was fantastic!

Room Tip: If you are willing to go to the sales presentation they will upgrade your room with a balcony ocean...
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear: Leslie T,

We are most grateful for your very kind comments. We love to read your review which is very important to us in order to evaluate our performance! Great to hear also that you enjoyed our beaches, spectaculars sunset and the hotel surroundings.

It is really nice to read about the positive experiences you have had with our service restaurants, our fantastic staff and dinner experience. Your feedback will be shared with the service team. We try to select the best products for our guests and include healthy and local products for both our breakfast menu as well as our à la carte menu for lunch & dinner.

However, we would like to apologize for the hard beds. We have an extra padding for make more comfortable beds.

Please do contact me in advance if you are planning to come back to Mazatlan, I will be pleased to welcome you personally at El Cid Moro Beach Hotel!

Hope to see you soon,

Riverview, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Great salad for lunch today at the El Cid Morrow Hotel.There BBQ on Monday evenings are excellent. Exceptional ocean view lovely walk from the El Cid Marina Resort.

Of course not to forget to mention the strawberry margaritas, awesome.
Love Mazatlan.
El Cid Marina staff go out of there way to make everyone a prefect holiday. They are so helpful and work hard. Hats off to all the staff.

Room Tip: Ocean view exceptional. Sunset is a must to view. I like building A it has bigger view of the ocea...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear: 135Trip2013

A million thanks for writing such an outstanding review! I am very appreciative of your recognition and that you found our food and our facilities to your fit your standards we always try to keep everything in tip top shape to give our guest a memorable stay!!

I will pass on your kind comments to my fellow employees they will be happy to hear they were recognized for their hard work I am almost positive that this will serve them in keeping up their hard work! I hope we see you again so and let us yet again make your vacations exceptional!!!!

Cordially,

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

first time to mexico not sure what to expest, very good impression. slightly dated but clean rooms. great service and food. beutiful view in the morning from the deck. must do the city tour and try the rocky shrimp . would definately go back.

• 3 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Dear: Maurice D

A million thanks for writing such an outstanding review! I am very appreciative of your recognition and that you found our food, rooms and services to your fit your standards we always try to keep everything in tip top shape to give our guest a memorable stay!!

As already mentioned in other reviews we are still working in renovations, is a project which we expect to complete this year, always striving to be better for our customers.

I hope we see you again so and let us yet again make your vacations exceptional!!!!!!!
Cordially,

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

We did have great time at El Cid Moro over a 2 week stay. We did the European Plan the first week, All-Inclusive the second.

First the bad:
Our tastes and expectations are 5 star, so we were initially disappointed with the dated look and feel. There had obviously been some renovations over the years: counters, floors, etc. but the walls were definitely out of the 70's. Inside and out, they were "popcorn" stucco, dime-sized rocks painted white. The plumbing was a little noisy, ours and others.

It wasn't always easy to get service at the pool. The service at the adult only pool was definitely better. Don't even try to go to dinner without a reservation while on the All-Inclusive. Even if the restaurants are half empty they won't let you in.

Now the good:
The service was always friendly. El Moro is close to many restaurants, either by walking, or via the many open air taxis. The 3 different pools offer plenty of options for sun, shade, and shelter from any breeze. The food was always good, with a decent amount of variety. (Just don't order Mexican beef. Maybe I'm spoiled being from Alberta, but even the T-bone steak at the El Cid Marina restaurant was stringy, tough, and tasted blah. But that's just foolish of me. Why would anyone be ordering beef in the seafood capital of Mexico!?)

Also good: Sunsets. Sailing. Seafood. Heated pools. TSN. They take Canadian money!

Recommendations:
Topolos restaurant in the Historical District (Plazuela Machado). Walking the Malecon (beach). Deer Island tour for a quiet beach day (no vendors). Gus Gus restaurant.

Don't do the All-Inclusive. There are enough good restaurants in and around the resort and they're not that expensive.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Danton L
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear: Danton L,

It is really nice to read about the positive experiences you have had with our service staff and breakfast experience. Your feedback will be shared with the service team. We try to select the best products for our guests and include healthy and local products for both our breakfast menu as well as our à la carte menu for lunch & dinner.

We have noted your comments on the reservations to the restaurant regarding to ability in A la carte restaurants, just to clarify we have a policy of reservation where reserve one day in advance, either by phone or directly at the office, I am sorry if you don't are able to had the opportunity to reserve, course we make an exceptions if for some reason our customers couldn't book one of our restaurants.

We value each and every comment from our guests and it was disconcerting to learn that our Kids Club services did not meet your expectations. I apologize for any inconveniences that resulted from our shortcomings. The staff of El Cid Resorts continues to review our operations each and every day. Your comments have been shared with the Management and we will use them to guide our ongoing efforts at improvement.

I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel.

Kind regards,

Plymouth,mn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We were moved to El Cid Moro Beach due to an RCI mixup at our other resort. Praise the Lord! We ended up with a 2 BR, 3 bathroom suite. We were also offered an all inclusive package for $45 PP/day. This is half of RCI's posted rate. We later found out that if you don't have all inclusive. you can get it fir down to $35 pp/day if you do the time share presentation.

I will just quickly say that the rooms, pools, beach, and food was great. The all inclusive gives you some choices for reservation only dining in addition to the daily buffets. It is worthwhile to make the reservations early and enjoy a little more "elegant dining". The nightly shows were entertaining, but somewhat redundant (same dance, different pants).

We did not feel pressured by vendors or by the timeshare people. We have experienced both before and know how to say "no thank you".

The location makes for easy walking to the gold zone and other fun spots. It is also on the main bus line (10 pesos or 85 cents per ride).

We felt perfectly safe everywhere we went in Mazatlan.

1 Thank Claude D
Dear: Claude D

Thank you so much for your lovely appreciation, I really appreciated your nice words about our Hotel.

I'm glad to read that you have a room that meet your needs, and that you found our pricing to be good as a result allowing you to enjoy our all-inclusive. We are so happy to know that you have stayed with us and have experienced our food and beverage services and the restaurants were what you expected. We are extremely proud of our efforts in maintaining a very high level of customer service, and we want to thank you for your recommendation you don’t know what this recognition mean to us.

Thank you also for mentioning the good location and of Mazatlan and that you felt safe walking around such an amazing city. When you return, please contact me personally if there is anything I can do to make your stay with us more comfortable.

Warm greetings,

General Manger
Milwaukee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Again, I have been to Mazatlan to the El Cid El Moro. I have been coming here for over 25 years. It is like a home away from home. It is like visiting friends and family. The hotel staff have become friends over the years. It is always nice to see them again. The staff is always accommodating. If you have a need they will take care of it. The pool is welcoming. The nicest thing about the pool in addition to how nice it looks, is that it is not cold. It is a pleasure to get in and cool off without having to inch in. The staff at reception is great and the cleaning personnel will do their best to keep your room clean and help out in any other way that they can. I have been going to Mazatlan for over 25 years and am looking forward to next year. My friends who couldn't make it this year are already talking about next year, because they don't want to miss another visit to Mazatlan. This was one year thgat I had to travel alone as many of my friends were unavailable during the time frame that I go, but I have traveled to Mazatlan alone previously and am very comfortable being there alone. It is so easy to make friends at the pool.

Room Tip: My preference for a room is either ocean side or poolside. Both are very nice views. Oceanside giv...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
First and for most I would like to say that I truly feel honored that you conceder us your “your home away from home “ we want nothing more than to make sure our guest feel like they are home especially being the fact that you are in a different country this is such a great accomplishment for us . It lets us know we are heading in the right direction in providing outstanding service and making our guest feel safe and comfortable. The pools are something we always try and maintain a control over so they can be at our guest satisfaction. Thank you for recommending us to your friends as well please if ever need anything for any future visits don`t hesitate to ask I would be more than happy to help you in any way I can because our guest are really important to us. We can’t wait to assist you again we will be waiting for you here at your “home away from home” with open arms.

Best Regards,