“lunch”

El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel
Ranked #6 of 79 Hotels in Mazatlan
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Great salad for lunch today at the El Cid Morrow Hotel.There BBQ on Monday evenings are excellent. Exceptional ocean view lovely walk from the El Cid Marina Resort.

Of course not to forget to mention the strawberry margaritas, awesome.
Love Mazatlan.
El Cid Marina staff go out of there way to make everyone a prefect holiday. They are so helpful and work hard. Hats off to all the staff.

Room Tip: Ocean view exceptional. Sunset is a must to view. I like building A it has bigger view of the ocea...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Dear: 135Trip2013

A million thanks for writing such an outstanding review! I am very appreciative of your recognition and that you found our food and our facilities to your fit your standards we always try to keep everything in tip top shape to give our guest a memorable stay!!

I will pass on your kind comments to my fellow employees they will be happy to hear they were recognized for their hard work I am almost positive that this will serve them in keeping up their hard work! I hope we see you again so and let us yet again make your vacations exceptional!!!!

Cordially,

There are newer reviews for El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel

Reviewed March 16, 2013

first time to mexico not sure what to expest, very good impression. slightly dated but clean rooms. great service and food. beutiful view in the morning from the deck. must do the city tour and try the rocky shrimp . would definately go back.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2013

Dear: Maurice D

A million thanks for writing such an outstanding review! I am very appreciative of your recognition and that you found our food, rooms and services to your fit your standards we always try to keep everything in tip top shape to give our guest a memorable stay!!

As already mentioned in other reviews we are still working in renovations, is a project which we expect to complete this year, always striving to be better for our customers.

I hope we see you again so and let us yet again make your vacations exceptional!!!!!!!
Cordially,

Reviewed March 16, 2013

We did have great time at El Cid Moro over a 2 week stay. We did the European Plan the first week, All-Inclusive the second.

First the bad:
Our tastes and expectations are 5 star, so we were initially disappointed with the dated look and feel. There had obviously been some renovations over the years: counters, floors, etc. but the walls were definitely out of the 70's. Inside and out, they were "popcorn" stucco, dime-sized rocks painted white. The plumbing was a little noisy, ours and others.

It wasn't always easy to get service at the pool. The service at the adult only pool was definitely better. Don't even try to go to dinner without a reservation while on the All-Inclusive. Even if the restaurants are half empty they won't let you in.

Now the good:
The service was always friendly. El Moro is close to many restaurants, either by walking, or via the many open air taxis. The 3 different pools offer plenty of options for sun, shade, and shelter from any breeze. The food was always good, with a decent amount of variety. (Just don't order Mexican beef. Maybe I'm spoiled being from Alberta, but even the T-bone steak at the El Cid Marina restaurant was stringy, tough, and tasted blah. But that's just foolish of me. Why would anyone be ordering beef in the seafood capital of Mexico!?)

Also good: Sunsets. Sailing. Seafood. Heated pools. TSN. They take Canadian money!

Recommendations:
Topolos restaurant in the Historical District (Plazuela Machado). Walking the Malecon (beach). Deer Island tour for a quiet beach day (no vendors). Gus Gus restaurant.

Don't do the All-Inclusive. There are enough good restaurants in and around the resort and they're not that expensive.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Danton L
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Dear: Danton L,

It is really nice to read about the positive experiences you have had with our service staff and breakfast experience. Your feedback will be shared with the service team. We try to select the best products for our guests and include healthy and local products for both our breakfast menu as well as our à la carte menu for lunch & dinner.

We have noted your comments on the reservations to the restaurant regarding to ability in A la carte restaurants, just to clarify we have a policy of reservation where reserve one day in advance, either by phone or directly at the office, I am sorry if you don't are able to had the opportunity to reserve, course we make an exceptions if for some reason our customers couldn't book one of our restaurants.

We value each and every comment from our guests and it was disconcerting to learn that our Kids Club services did not meet your expectations. I apologize for any inconveniences that resulted from our shortcomings. The staff of El Cid Resorts continues to review our operations each and every day. Your comments have been shared with the Management and we will use them to guide our ongoing efforts at improvement.

I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel.

Kind regards,

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We were moved to El Cid Moro Beach due to an RCI mixup at our other resort. Praise the Lord! We ended up with a 2 BR, 3 bathroom suite. We were also offered an all inclusive package for $45 PP/day. This is half of RCI's posted rate. We later found out that if you don't have all inclusive. you can get it fir down to $35 pp/day if you do the time share presentation.

I will just quickly say that the rooms, pools, beach, and food was great. The all inclusive gives you some choices for reservation only dining in addition to the daily buffets. It is worthwhile to make the reservations early and enjoy a little more "elegant dining". The nightly shows were entertaining, but somewhat redundant (same dance, different pants).

We did not feel pressured by vendors or by the timeshare people. We have experienced both before and know how to say "no thank you".

The location makes for easy walking to the gold zone and other fun spots. It is also on the main bus line (10 pesos or 85 cents per ride).

We felt perfectly safe everywhere we went in Mazatlan.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Claude D

Dear: Claude D

Thank you so much for your lovely appreciation, I really appreciated your nice words about our Hotel.

I'm glad to read that you have a room that meet your needs, and that you found our pricing to be good as a result allowing you to enjoy our all-inclusive. We are so happy to know that you have stayed with us and have experienced our food and beverage services and the restaurants were what you expected. We are extremely proud of our efforts in maintaining a very high level of customer service, and we want to thank you for your recommendation you don’t know what this recognition mean to us.

Thank you also for mentioning the good location and of Mazatlan and that you felt safe walking around such an amazing city. When you return, please contact me personally if there is anything I can do to make your stay with us more comfortable.

Warm greetings,

General Manger

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Again, I have been to Mazatlan to the El Cid El Moro. I have been coming here for over 25 years. It is like a home away from home. It is like visiting friends and family. The hotel staff have become friends over the years. It is always nice to see them again. The staff is always accommodating. If you have a need they will take care of it. The pool is welcoming. The nicest thing about the pool in addition to how nice it looks, is that it is not cold. It is a pleasure to get in and cool off without having to inch in. The staff at reception is great and the cleaning personnel will do their best to keep your room clean and help out in any other way that they can. I have been going to Mazatlan for over 25 years and am looking forward to next year. My friends who couldn't make it this year are already talking about next year, because they don't want to miss another visit to Mazatlan. This was one year thgat I had to travel alone as many of my friends were unavailable during the time frame that I go, but I have traveled to Mazatlan alone previously and am very comfortable being there alone. It is so easy to make friends at the pool.

Room Tip: My preference for a room is either ocean side or poolside. Both are very nice views. Oceanside giv...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2013

First and for most I would like to say that I truly feel honored that you conceder us your “your home away from home “ we want nothing more than to make sure our guest feel like they are home especially being the fact that you are in a different country this is such a great accomplishment for us . It lets us know we are heading in the right direction in providing outstanding service and making our guest feel safe and comfortable. The pools are something we always try and maintain a control over so they can be at our guest satisfaction. Thank you for recommending us to your friends as well please if ever need anything for any future visits don`t hesitate to ask I would be more than happy to help you in any way I can because our guest are really important to us. We can’t wait to assist you again we will be waiting for you here at your “home away from home” with open arms.

Best Regards,

Reviewed March 13, 2013

we own "points" at El Cid and go to Mazatlan once a year and have been for 30 years. The El Cid is on the best stretch of walking beach and you can walk either on the beach or on the street to countless other hotels, restaurants,bars. The El Cid is older but well maintained and has an excellent long time staff.

The newer places like the RIU and the Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay are 20 minutes north and have beaches , but you can't walk to anything else, you have to take a shuttle bus

The El Cid has the best pools in town. The rooms range from basic hotel rooms on low floors with pool views to ocean front large rooms, we recommend you go for some sort of ocean view room

They offer an all inclusive option for around $35 per person per day, but as there are so many other good places to eat we only recommend that for a day or two when you want to stay at the el cid and drink a lot

New this year is their Mexican Fiesta on Wednesday nights. The Playa Mazatlan forever had the best Fiesta in town, but they shut it down last year. El Cid has picked up some of the performers and now has the best fiesta show in town, we highly recommend it.

We also went with friends for the first time on the tequila factory tour - very well done and we recoomend it

Our friends went on the long standing "country tour" and said it was long and boring

Room Tip: ocean view on a high floor
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank trevor-wa

Thank you for your sweet comments we are honored that you have been with us for such a long time and that you keep coming to enjoy a vacation. We work each and every day to maintain everything to high standers we are actually renovating some new rooms as we speak to make sure they are up to date but we always try not to lose that touch we have maintained for years now that makes El Cid a known hotel. As far as the entertainment goes I truly glad that you speak so highly of our new Mexican Fiesta I’m glad it was a success we always try and bring in new and fun thing to do so there is something for everyone. We now also count on an Argentinean night including tango dancers so maybe in your next visit you can come see it for and let us know what you think of it. We will be waiting for you with open arms for your next visit.

Best Regards,

Reviewed March 11, 2013

We just returned from a weeks stay at this resort in a 2 bedroom lock off unit. We are Wyndham timeshare owners and used our points for the stay. We were given a regular 2 bedroom at check in, got upstairs and realized it wasn't the lock off, which is two separate units and 3 bathrooms versus one unit with 2 baths. We needed the extra bath and the option of closing off a unit if we wanted. So back downstairs, told it wasn't available, I said okay we will wait. Then it was suddenly available, so off we went to unit 2529-2530. This is an older, unrefurbished unit with rock hard beds, very slow drains in the sinks and showers, barely working hot plates, lights burned out above the dining table and windows and doors that are not very secure. We just decided to deal with it and start our vacation.
The staff are great. We had great waiters at all the pools, beach, and restaurants we visited. We did not do all inclusive so we went out for many meals. The food at the resort is average, the drinks were average.
The beach is great, we were able to be in the water and had fun. The vendors are just relentless, they come back over and over and over again, even when repeatedly told no thanks. I did ask security to help keep them behind the ropes, that lasted five minutes!
The pool doesn't have that problem so we went there for a break.
The noise of the city was very apparent in this unit. Our last night there was a car alarm sound, may have been the marina nearby, that was going off every 20 seconds from 8 pm until 7 am...not pleasant.
We have been to Cabo San Lucas and Nuevo Vallarta and the resorts there were just fantastic, the cities were much more fun to explore. We will not go back to El Cid, or to Mazatlan, there is just much better options within Mexico to go to. I'm afraid Mazatlan is a very dying city with lots of empty units, graffiti and a real forlorn look and feel.
The resort would be better with an upgrade to rooms, food and drinks, but I think it is struggling to remain viable.
The staff though is top notch, and they really want you to have a good time.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank dpeterson9

Dear: dpeterson9

First of all thank you so much for staying 2 weeks at El Cid Moro Hotel and choosing us among other options in Mazatlan, I’m so proud to read that our staff exceeded your expectations. They work exceptionally hard to make every guest feel special, and to ensure that you depart feeling renewed and better than when you arrived.

Regarding the room you had during your stay: We are currently under a full renovation programs. We are trying harder and harder to upgrade the property and put into consideration everyone's suggestions; we are slowly but surely making changes in our hotel.
In reference to the beach vendors we strength this area with more security guards to prevent this people disturbing our customers and prevent this situation from happen again.

I have used the comments provided by guests on this site to help guide the critical customer service shortfalls that we have been guilty of in the past and I would like to once again thank you for taking the time to let us know how we failed to meet your expectations on your visit with us thus helping us know what it is we need to improve on.

If you would be so kind to give us another opportunity to host you in the future, I can assure you that we will work diligently to ensure your satisfaction, and that you will be pleased with our service.

Kind regards,