“better than I expected”

El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel
Ranked #8 of 80 Hotels in Mazatlan
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed January 31, 2011

This was only our second trip to Mexico, our other was to Sandoz Caracol near Playa del Carmen. Our room was located in the tower and the view of the ocean was spectacular. Room was clean and spacious. Beds were on the firm side and a little short. Overall service from staff was good but not to the standard we experienced on our first Mexican trip. Service was especially disappointing at Mexican restaurant for breakfast and at Argentine a la carte for dinner. Beach is amazing and you can walk for miles along it, but be prepared for aggressive peddling by locals. We got used to it after a couple of days. We found the buffets good with alot of selection. We took in 4 tours offered by Pronatours and enjoyed them all: city tour, country tour (Copala), Huana Coa zipline tour and sunset cruise tour. We were apprehensive about going to Mazatlan after all the bad press, but we enjoyed our trip and would recommend it as a destination.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2011

Dear bleublancetrouge

Thank you so much for this wonderful review. I am glad to read you enjoyed your experience at the hotel. Your comments are highly appreciated and represent a great factor of motivation for us to continue and to make they feel at home.

Customer service, room cleanliness and guest comfort are some of the aspects of the hotel in which we strive to excel, and it makes us happy to exceed guest´s expectations during their stay.

Again, thank you for your encouraging remarks and we look forward to host you again.

ind regards,

Reviewed January 30, 2011

Jan 22 - Jan 29, 2011 all inclusive. We had poolview room which was very good & the maid service was very good. We enjoyed the variety at the buffet every day, so never had a problem finding food we like, new things to try & never got bored with the buffet. We really enjoyed 2 of the 4 al a cartes, and we didn't try the Sushi Bar. We received good service in all of the al a cartes except the Mexican restaurant, at which we received such bad service from a waiter how had no personality and was just terrible. We walked out of the place as he would not attend to us at our table. We also had this same waiter, to our surprise, the next night at the Argentina restaurant. He still didn't have any more personality, but he did do a good job of service to us. We do not know what his problem was, but he didn't act like he wanted to be there and let us know about it. Both the pools & the beach were great along with the activities. The bar & waiter services at the pools & beach were good also. The location for walking the beach both ways was great. The Golden Zone was in easy walking distance for us with lots of shops, restaurants, etc. along the way.
We took a walking tour of the downtown area with Viajes El Sabalo company, who were the individuals that picked us up and dropped us off at the airport. They were very nice and helpful at all times. We also went on a day excersion with the same company to Rock Island. We had a great time and were very happy for the $30 each that we paid, which included transportation to, a nice boat ride, visit to Rock Island, all the booze , and lunch. We were very happy overall with our visit to El Cid. The even had a Catholic Mass for everyone there on Sunday in the El Moro theater, which we really appreciated. I would highly recommend the all inclusive at El Cid for anyone including families.

Dear Rarache

Greetings from the beautiful port of Mazatlan!!!

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. We truly appreciate your comments. We were pleased to note that you enjoyed of the facilities, food, service, and location, it is a really pleasure to us to memorable stay.

Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced with the issue at the restaurant, I have personally addressed your feedback to the pertinent deparment manager to ensure the unfortunate episode you experienced does not repeat itself.

Kind regards from all the staff at El Cid Resorts.

Reviewed January 30, 2011

We arrived very tired after many hours travelling and we went direcly to the reception with my reservation already confirmed in my hand and this guy Alberto in reception was so rude to us, first he told me that my reservation was not in the system then he did another reservation but took all the time in the world to do it,he never appologize and never told us where was our room, he never sent the bellboy or anything,I was so upset that I went to customer service however he lied saying that cs was closed sooo I went anyway and one of the representatives Marisela was nice but it wasn't enough,this hotel has no doctor, the room service close at 10:30 pm,the drinks are not good and the hotel in general is old, so think it twice if u want to go to the CID castilla hotel in Mazatlan Awerfull :(

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2011

Dear Michellekrame

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent experience with us at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel. I am sorry to hear that your experience with us was less than stellar. The issues you mention are certainly of concern to us and we appreciate you bring them to our attention.

We have a high approval rating from the majority of our guests, so when we hear of a stay such as yours we are very concerned. Here at El Cid we have an amazing team of employees and we pride ourselves an exceptional guest service; please accept our apologies, absolutely the matter you mention does not meet with our hight standards in service, be assured that actions have been taken.

I invite you to return to El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel and can experience our true level of service. We look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back.

Best regards,

Reviewed January 29, 2011

We enjoyed our stay overall. The hotel itself was disapointing, however the service we recieved from many of the staff members was fantastic. Luis, Carlos, Angel, Leticia and several others were amazing. They went out of their way to help our group enjoy our stay.

I found the poolside rooms very disapointing. Not only were they outdated, our room was dirty and had a light out in the bathroom. We complained to the front desk twice, as well as mentioning it to our housekeeping staff, including filling out the Maintenance request form. Nothing was done. As well, I was extremely annoyed with the construction in the surrounding rooms, as I do not enjoy being woken up early on vacation. The staff members (housekeeping and maintenance alike) spent much of the day shouting back and forth at each other- waking us up and generally acting very unprofessional. When I complained to the front desk, they eventually offered to move us to the tower- which was much appreciated. A clean, updated room, with peace and quiet and a very welcoming housekeeping staff. Saying that, I had to push to get the move, as the GSA was not very empathetic to our complaints.

I will be returning to this hotel, however I will make sure to reserve a oceanview room. As well, I will be seeking out those amazing staff members who helped make our trip fun. Leticia in the Lobby Bar was always friendly and amazing- that woman should be rewarded well for her outstanding service. This hotel should be proud of the amazing staff that they have, and use them to mentor the other staff members. Overall, a good stay, but I found the rooms and the hotel itself disapointing.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family

Dear mareofthesea

Thank you for choosing us to stay with us at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel and for taking the time to comment on your experience. We indeed appreciate your comments, both positive and constructive, as they provide us with an opportunity to gauge our performance and improve where necessary. I sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations in some aspects of the hotel, be assured that your comments have been taken seriously to take the necessary steps to improve.

Your kind recognition of our colleagues is greatly appreciated and very warmly received. I take much pleasure in recognizing our team members for their genuine care and attention towards ensuring your stay is exceptional in every way. I am very pleased to learn that this was the case for you and shall be extending your comments to Luis, Carlos, Angel and Leticia.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back and serve you again.

Kind regards,

Reviewed January 29, 2011

First of all we have travelled to various parts of Mexico, Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Playa car, Puerta Vallarta, Dominican Republic, Punta Cana. This by far was not what we expected. The food was okay but nothing to rave about. We could always find something to eat, and it tasted okay. Every other all inclusive resort we had a fridge with sodas/water/beer and was included. NOT AT EL CID. They don't even have a fridge in your room. Sure they have coffee makers and bottled water in the room, but you have to pay for the water and the pouches of coffee. There is no fridge in the room so you cant even keep your Paid for bottled water cold. They have a huge ice dispenser outside in the hall. Then we started bringing in our own bottled water and they still wanted to charge us for that.
Internet is $8 US a day or $30 US a week.
When we booked our holiday we requested a King size bed, we had paid for an upgrade to the ocean view room When checked in they had all the rooms assigned already, so when I asked if it was a King size bed, they said no, none available. They were FAR from interested in helping me. From what I saw and heard the vacancy was not FULL, so I hardly believe that they had no King Size beds available. But we checked in, it appeared to be a hassle for the lady to look any further. Layers and layers of paint in the rooms. The tubs have layers of paint on them too. Everything was nice and clean!
They try and nab you as soon as you get in for a PROMOTION (time share) breakfast, we did not attend.
The beach was amazing! Although I must say the rope is a joke. The staff do not even attempt to keep the peddlers away from it. We love to sit by the ocean, but honestly we were hassled constantly by the peddlers. Shaking our heads NO was continuous......The pool was okay except the chairs were so crowded together and you had no view of the ocean.

Good things, the staff at the buffets, bars, were exceptional. Of course we tipped them well. But they were very cheerful all the time. Would we go back to EL CID? Not a chance.

1  Thank roundabout_11
Reviewed January 29, 2011

We went to the El Cid with two other couples for a week. All though the rooms were a little dated and had no fridges it was clean and the beds more comfortable then most we have stayed in. I have to thank Raymundo for getting back to me when I email with some questions. This is the first time any Hotel in Mexico has ever responded to my inquireries. The service in the lobby bar was great especially Ivan and Adrian at the pool bar. If you are going Parasailing or fishing talk to Raule or Frank on the beach they are great. One thing we would like to see though is the services and the places you can use them spelled out a little better so you don't get asked to pay for something you thought was free We felt very safe there would also recommend going To Ponchos and Gus Gus they had great food and great service for a great price. Also the people at the golf course were great and a special thanks to Hosae for finding my golf ball all over the course.

Dear KahunaRegina

I would like to express my thanks to you for choosing El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel as your home away from home and for your kind words and encouragement. It is our intent to provide you with not only a wonderful and enjoyable stay, but also an unforgettable one.

Certainly, one of our highlights is our staff, each member is always trying to go beyond expectations, in this case, you experienced the excellence service provided by Raymundo, Ivan and Adrian. Be assured, that your kind words has been shared with each one of them.

On behalf of all of us at El Cid Resorts, we deeply appreciate your preference; we look forward to host you again soon.

Reviewed January 27, 2011

We have just returned from a week trip to El Cid Beach Resort in Mazatlan. My wife and I travelled together - unfortunately, the day after the most recent Canadian traveller was shot in the leg in a drug war cross fire. Needless to say, we were concerned!

In any event, we give high marks to the resort itself. The room (we stayed at Castilla Beach resort) was large with a great oceanview and we give high marks for the cleanliness of the room and the friendliness of the staff. The food was fine in the Buffet and the entertainment at night was acceptable. The best thing to be said is the beach – it is the biggest, longest and probably the best walking beach I have ever seen – A++++ for the beach. As far as a negative comment about the beach and resort, al lI can say is that I have never seen so many old people in one place in my life - wow - we had no idea that Mazatlan was a retirement center - if you are looking for someplace for people under 80 - you found the wrong place.

There are a couple of things that I would point out that the resort could do to improve the place. Firstly, the décor of the guest rooms – in that THERE IS NONE. I truly mean that – the inside of the rooms – while very clean and spacious – are 100% devoid of any type of decoration, pictures on the wall or even any type of marking on the walls. My wife said that the inside of the rooms reminded her of a white washed prison cell. Really guys – we are in Mexico – can you not even hang some type of local art on the wall – I would have even welcomed a “velvet Elvis” black light picture or a picture of the Taco Bell dog by the time we left. The room actually got more than a bit depressing by the end of the week – very, very, very stark.

While the ala cart restaurants are ok, they too could be improved some. The “Italian restaurant” had absolutely no Italian décor whatsoever – it looked like the inside of the hotel rooms – I mean how hard would it have been to have a few Italian pictures on the wall and perhaps a candle in a wine bottle – pretty basic – the same guy would designed the rooms designed the décor of the restaurants – also, instead of Banda music how about some Italian music in the “Italian restaurant”? Also, my wife order the cannelloni and got 2 little pieces the size of my thumb for her entry – I mean they were smaller than what you would expect for an appetizer. We are not big eaters or fatties, but we had to hit the buffet after our “meal” because the portions were so tiny. Also, in the Mexican restaurant, how about a Mexican menu? There was absolutely no Mexican food on the menu (pasta, fish and coconut shrimp were the menu items – no burritos, enchiladas, etc etc – we though we had accidentally gone to the wrong restaurant for our “Mexican night out” ). Add a couple of traditional Mexican dishes so you can actually order something Mexican at the Mexican restaurant.

Next – the hallways on the tower running from the elevators to the rooms were by far the most dangerous things I have ever seen anywhere in my travels around the world. The outside wall of the hallways are open (which is nice for the view of the city) BUT there is a totally ineffectual rail about 3 feet from the ground that runs the length of the open space. It is open for the 3 feet to the ground and the “rail” is only about a foot wide. It is literally a tragic accident waiting to happen. It is a straight plunge down to the ground. Not only could a small child EASILY merely just fall out, but anyone leaning against this rail or sitting on it could easily plunge over to their death. We witnessed parents actually “white knuckling” their children down the hallway in deathly fear of the “wall of sure death” as we started to cal it. If you have small children ( I would say 12 years old or younger) DO NOT STAY HERE! We had one couple tell us that they literally were petrified of the this death trap hallway and could not get one minute of rest because they had to literally prop a chair against the inside of the door so that their young children did not get out and plunge to their death. Once again, this would be a very easy fix with the instillation of a few bars or plexi glass insert.

Lastly, the City of Mazatlan is just – simply said – sketchy. I will not dwell on that anymore than to say that we have travelled all over Mexico – we have been to Puerto Vallarta at least 20 times and we have been everywhere there is to go in PV at all hours of the day and night– we have never felt afraid in PV – However, never felt more unsafe and worried than we did in Mazatlan - going downtown is simply scary – enough said.

In general, if you plan to never leave the resort and eat at the buffet then EL Cid Beach is A+ - the staff and facilities are great – However, Mazatlan is simply a scary bad place – we will be travelling to Puerto Vallarta in the future.

If this rsort was anywhere but Mazatlan I would give it a A+

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2011

Dear Casspaige

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments and share your experience with future travelers. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get.

Firstly, I am happy to note that we met your expectations with the room and that you found an hospitable staff, each one of them put their best effort to satisfy our guests needs. Although I am really sorry due to, we did not meet your expectations with the Italian and Mexican restaurant as well as decoration; our executive team is been informed to make the necessary corrections so we could have the opportunity to make it right. Please know that in our efforts to evolve and improve, we are constantly evaluating our service.

Mazatlan is a seaside city considered a very friendly and hospitable tourist destination. Aditionally, Mazatlan is host of one of the world´s most famous festivals: The Carnival, it is and unforgettable experience and thousands of visitors choose Mazatlan as their vacation destination every year for this, and many more reasons.

We hope you give us the opportunity to welcome you back again and allow us to meet all your expectations.

Kind regards,