New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel
Ranked #6 of 80 Hotels in Mazatlan
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Would do it all over in a heart beat. AMAZING.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2010

Reasons to consider this resort:
-Perfect location. Literally connected to Senior Frogs. Not far from basically anywhere you want to go.
-And anywhere you DO want to go to is pretty darn cheap. The taxi rides are not expensive to go anywhere from here. It's seriously the perfect location. And the taxis are open air too, which is pretty sweet!
-They easily have the best beach around. I would run the beach every morning and went both directions. There is not a better beach around.
-The resort is clean. Our roomed was very well cleaned every day. Our cleaning lady would be there at almost 9:30 every morning (which is probably early for some, but was perfect for us). The rest of the resort was really well cleaned all of the time too. There was almost always someone cleaning a part of the pool.
-The cleaning never interfered though because the pool is huge! The pool in between the two El Cid hotels is really big with a waterfall and water slide. You can swim under a bridge and get all of the way to the other side of the hotel too.
-The swim up bars are actually nice. They make you drinks where you can actually taste more alcohol than the mixer (not sure if this is noteworthy, but I rarely get strong drinks at resorts while going all-inclusive).
-The rooms are really quite nice. We had a pool/beach view. We could see the sun rise over the palm trees and islands every morning. The TV gets horrible channels, but not like we're there to watch tv anyways. The bathroom was nice and tub is huge w/ jets.
-The buffet food was decent, and nothing more. It was edible and we didn't get sick, so that's a plus compared to others. The real gem is in making reservations at the all-inclusive restaurants.
-The Argentinean restaurant that is included with the all-inclusive plan is awesome. The setting is almost like a Greek courtyard and they serve the best Filet Mignon. I highly recommend it.
-The activities staff is great. They play good music and lead fun activities the entire day, every day. Very well organized and friendly.
-If you want to go out and experience other restaurants in the town, there are tons of good options really close. I would highly suggest the following restaurants (I don't care who you are, you will not be disappointed with these: Fat Fish (great open air grill and they make the best ribs.), Panama (great Mexican food), Chili's Pepper (amazing fresh seafood for great prices), Pancho's (good restaurant, breakfast is best).
-Great and friendly staff. The entire staff was very helpful and friendly. The bartenders and servers were very friendly and professional. Overall just a great experience.

Reasons to not consider this resort:
-The area of Mazatlan in general is a little dangerous right now. When we were there there were multiple murders, including one right in front of a restaurant we were eating at. 2 cops were murdered and possibly someone who was riding in the back. It was really scary. The drug cartel is just all over around there and often pass through there, so it can be a sketchy area at times. This is not obviously something that the resort can prevent, so this should not be counted as a negative towards the resort at all, just the area in general.
-There are a ton of vendors on the beach. It's hard to just enjoy yourself down there because someone is aways is trying to sell you something.
-The weather wasn't fantastic. It was warm every day, but it was also really windy everyday. The sun was out here and there. Overall just not great weather. Again, nothing against the resort itself (maybe me not being able to find negative things about the resort itself is a good thing.
-The beer in the swim up bars are served in plastic cups and the beer is a bit warm. Not the coldest drink by any means.
-The breakfast buffet was not good. I just did omelets every morning so I could have something fresh.
-The spa wasn't great. We both got massages, manicures, and pedicures (my girlfriend talked me into it, and this was my first experience). It was a horrible experience at that. We wasted a lot of money to have someone poke sticks around our nails and put our feet in hot water. The massage wasn't horrible, but wasn't something memorable either.

Things to do:
-Stone Island Tour. It's awesome. The island is gorgeous, the beach is gorgeous. You can do horseback rides on the beach. We went kayaking out to an island in the distance and walked around it, it was free drinks the entire time, we had fresh fish for lunch, and the way you get there is a harbor cruise. You see caves, the lighthouse, seals, and get drinks the entire time. The whole thing was probably about 5 hours and it only cost 30 bucks a person. You also get to see the locals on stone island which is pretty much worth the money within itself to see their village.
-Pacifico Brewery Tour. It's free, you get to drink free fresh beer, and they bring you way up to see out over the entire city of Mazatlan. Again, this is free! It's a really old brewery and is owned by the company that brews Corona. I think Pacifico is better actually.
-The open air market. It's so damn unique and just so much different than our markets, that you simply must see it.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
6 Thank tchames22
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, September 15, 2010
Dear tchames22

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel. Our objective is t provide the highest standard of Customer care, and always aim for excellence in service.

We are delighted to note that you appreciated the cleanliness of the room, grounds that you enjoyed of the beach, pools, Argentinian restaurant, and found the staff hospitalable.

Your suggestions are much appreciated and were reviewed to the departments involved to be analyzed. We understand your concern regarding this situation, which unfortunately, can happen anywhere in the world. It is important to mention that our goberment is working very diligently to prevent this type of incidents from occurring in the future.

We sincerely hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Kind regards,

Mark Covarrubias Mckay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2010

****************lost my charger**********************
If manager saw this message,could you connect me by tripadvisor mails? thanks.
**********************************************************
it was a great and amazing time to stay at this hotel!!
My friend and I were just back from Mazatlan and this hotel was pretty great.

The loacation is not bad, although by walk it is a little bit far away from the gloden zone but the taxi and bus transportation was very convenient.

When we arrived at the hotel at the very beginning day, the front desk agent kindly received us. The lobby was pretty nice and sea-view. The check in process was very simple and we got some coupons.

When we enter our room, both of us was shocked by the great rooms and views.
The room was ocean view but not so directly. There were some trees in front so that we can see the ocean and the pool in front of us but the leaves shelter from others seeing into the room, a great design for privacy. Meanwhile, the wall was like rock, it is good for keeping from noice.

Although the room, I mean the sink was not so clean, but it is OK.

The hotel had 2 big pools and kind of private beach with kind staff. It was very peaceful but vital. You can either lie on the beach or aside of pool. It is indeed a great vacation.

One thing I need to metion is that the Internet was NOT FREE.. You should pay 80 peso per day or 300 peso per week...

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank Machilus
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, September 8, 2010
Dear Machilus

Thank you for taking the time out to share this review on Tripadvisor and for the 5 stars.

Positive words such as yours are always encouraging to us. We are pleased for noting that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. We realize we are in a competitive market and customer needs must remain top priority, we take pride in offering a high quality standard of service to our guests.

Your suggestions are much appreciated, their were reviewed to the departments involved.
Please allow us to host you and pamper once again.

All the best,

Winnipeg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2010

I stayed at the El Cid Castilla with a school FAM & my fiance. Not only did the staff make sure to make us feel special and welcome EVERY moment of our stay, but the food, drink, and accomodations were MORE than adequate.

We toured all of the El Cid facilities and discovered how much hard work went into running a resort. Over that week, I learned to appreciate the staff at a resort SO much more. So thank you El Cid.

We tried the Italian, & Mexican A la carte and the food and service was fantastic as per usual. The buffet outside for lunch was also very good!!

I'd also like to mention that I was asked about a time share once. You just have to politely say "no thank you." and they leave you alone for the rest of the stay.

WHAT A CLEAN RESORT! Everytime I left my room they were cleaning everywhere. The pool was always cleaned. My room was always cleaned. I loved it! I'm a bit of a germaphobe, and I felt comfortable at the resort the whole time.

You people need to realize that Mexicans aren't making that much money a day. Our pulmonia driver made 12 Dollars A DAY... So what I'm saying is TIP the STAFF. They work hard for it.

I will return (soon hopefully) with my Fiance, as he has only ever travelled once, and he doesn't want to go, or stay, anywhere else except for Mazatlan, at the El Cid.

Thank you for a great vacation & FAM trip. I'd love to answer any questions anyone has about the El Cid, as I've said... I've experienced them all as a travel agent, and loved them all.

**quick shout out to the Senor Frog Bar/Restaurant next door. You guys are amazing and if ANYONE can experience Senor Frog and the El Cid... YOU WILL LOVE BOTH (especially the staff!)**

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank TravelinJai
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2010
Dear TravelinJai

Many thanks for your amazing review and for taking the time to share your opinion on Tripadvisor. I was delighted to read that overall all of you, had a perfect vacation with us, I passed your review onto my team.

Guest comfort, customer service and room cleanliness, are some the aspects of the hotel in wich we strive to excel, and make us happy that we exceeded your expectations.
On behalf of all the staff, we would like to see you here again, and pamper you.

Warm regards,

Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2010

I have to say that over time a person can get a true picture of a resort. I see from the remarks I made on this web site 6 months ago, compare them to recent remarks and remarks from a year ago, The resort will not change for the better. The problems I saw and my group had to deal with like the Time Share ladies-vendors on the beach and at the buffet restaurants are still a problem. Seems like the problems are still there and the General Manager just answers Tripadvisor but does not make real changes to bring this place up to a higher standard. Of course he might not be able to per the ownership. So I will say that here as I type and am planning to purchase trips for our group I will be passing on El Cid. I wish El Cid the very best in the years to come but you need to make the changes that are noted every month in the reviews to get someone like me that picks and pays for groups to come down and spend our money. I will check back as I am doing right now and if I see that the problems are gone I might rethink my decision.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank thekidd5434again
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2010
Dear thekidd5434again

First of all, thanks a lot for taking the time to share this valuable remark and thanks for letting us know what are our areas of opportunity.

I sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations. Certainly, we still have much work to do, for that reason is really important to us not stop with improvements, along this year we have advanced in updating rooms; I would like that in your next visit to Mazatlán you can note the improvements we have done.

Concerning the food, I am dissapointed to note that it was not at all to your like. Our Food and Beverage team, constantly work in making changes in menus in order to offer varied dishes to our guests, we need to reanalyze where we are failing.

Thanks again for your valuable comments, I would appreciate if you decide to give us an opportunity to serve you again.

All the best,

Elmwood, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2010

This was our third time at El Cid Castilla, and we have never had a bad experience. The atmosphere was great, and the waitstaff was amazing. Thomas was the best, perhaps. We already have our 2011 stay booked.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 23, 2010
Dear TyandAlly

Thanks for the 5 stars and for taking the time to post this feedback. I am glad to note that you have had a perfect vacation with us and that you found the waitstaff hospitable. I have reviewed your comment to Thomas.

We are grateful with you for your loyalty. On behalf of all the staff we look forward to serve you again on your next visit.

Until soon,

Vancouver
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2010

El Cid is ok. To me and my family it is at best a 3 star hotel no more no less. I won't nick pick at the hotel. I think the various reviews before me covered it all. Pool slide and cliff jumping really made it fun for my children.
I do want to take this opportunity to commend on Yuliana's above and beyond service. She made great effort to get us a reservation at the El Patio Restaurant despite the fact that it was fully booked. She got us a reservation for 6 pm but we didn't check in with her at 3 pm like we said we would. Instead we checked in with her at 5.45pm. As I walked in to her office she was trying to call our room for the upteen time. How annoying of us. I would be mad at us but not her. She went ahead and call the captain of the restaurant and apologized for us and pushed for a 7pm table. Yuliana is amazing, Beautiful girl inside and out. I hope management recognizes her efforts and may she goes far in her career.
Best Wishes.
Yap Family

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Yap'z
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2010
Dear Yap Family,

It is a very nice gesture of you to take the time to share your experience at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel.

How great is to hear that our staff go beyond expectation, we are proud of having staff members as valuable as Yuliana, for whom their goal is to satisfy our guest´s expectations, we are aware of the importance of provide a service of excellence to you: our guests.

Thank you for your wonderful review and I do hope that you give us the opportunity to serve you again soon.

Warm regards,

San Diego, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2010

We were well served and assisted by two beautiful women who work in the concierge of El Cid Castilla. They work in the office of "Club Elite." They are:
-Kenia
-Yuliana de la Cruz Romero

Both of these women were helpful in navigating the confuzing maze of "all-inclusive" rules. I cannot speak highly of the way the all-inclusive is offered. Give a raise or a promotion to both of these ladies, Yuliana and Kenia. They listened to us when we had problems. They were prompt and provided effective service.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 21, 2010
Dear Jfymorrow

Thank you very much for choosing El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel as your preferred choice of accommodation during your recent visit to Mazatlan and for taking the time to write a review on Trip advisor.

Our goal is provide highest standards of delivery service, I am pleased to note that Yuliana and Kenia met your expectations and that they both were there to attend and acticipate to your needs, we are aware that the human capital is the most important value for a company, for that reason we value to every staff´s member.

Please know that we would be happy to host you anytime.

Best regards,