“Great Service, Mediocre Hotel”

El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel
Ranked #7 of 80 Hotels in Mazatlan
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed May 21, 2010

My husband and I have stayed in many places in Mexico, and decided we would like to try Mazatlan. We found a great deal for this hotel and the reviews were mostly good, so we decided to give it a shot. We have only stayed at Palace Resorts on our other stays and have always been pleased, but the reviews for this hotel were mostly good so we decided to give it a shot since it was such a good deal through Book It. In my opinion, there is a reason it was such a good deal.

The area is beautiful and very clean. It is not nearly as touristy as other areas, which in my opinion is a big plus. I can honestly say that the service in Mazatlan is far superior to any other area in Mexico that we have stayed. The people, on the most part, are very hard workers and welcome tourists to their area. Specifically, we received exceptional service from Francisco in the pool area, Guillermo and Roberto in the Mexican restaurant, and Hermes and Leticia (spelling?) in the lobby bar. There are many other people who worked very hard, or provided good service, but these specific people did a really good job. Francisco was our Server/Waiter in the pool area and he truly hustled and worked very hard to please everyone in his section. He was amazing! We only sat in his section after we realized what a hard worker he was and how friendly he was. Guillermo went out of his way to make us comfortable in the Mexican Restaurant, and Roberto was an excellent Server/Waiter. In the lobby bar, both Hermes and Letecia were friendly and made sure we always had a drink. We made sure we tipped these employees very well as they truly deserved it for their hard work.

As far as complaints, it is mostly about the hotel. We stayed in the tower and it was supposed to have been recently remodeled. I can only imagine what the rooms in the areas that have not been remodeled were like. Our bathroom did not have a stand alone shower, but a tub/shower combination and the floor of the tub was so old it had actual cracks in it and was so scratched up that the hotel provided a rubber mat to be placed on the tub floor to stand on. There was only hot water during 2 showers for the whole week, which actually was no problem since the air conditioning was never very cold so our room was always on the verge of being warm. The bed was VERY firm, but thankfully we drank enough that we fell asleep quickly, ha ha. When we checked into the room, we found water all over the floor under the sink. We called the front desk and they sent Engineering up to fix it. We returned to the room to find that all they did was wipe up the water, but brown water stains were it had been sitting were still there and new water had dripped on top it the stains. We called back down and they once again sent Engineering to fix it. They finally did, but the mess was still on the floor and all week it leaked a bit. They should have moved us, but never offered. The floor had sand particles all over it and felt really gritty when you walked barefoot. When I removed the cardboard CLEAN sign from the toilet seat, there were actual liquid urine drops on the seat. I checked the shower and found hairs near the drain. I didn't even bother calling to have them come to clean it because it was obvious that wasn't going to happen. Instead I walked across the street and bought bleach, a scrub sponge, and paper towels. I spent the next hour scrubbing the shower, toilet, sink, counter, and then the floor by hand. RIDICULOUS, but the only way I would ever feel comfortable in the room!!! I will have to say that the next day our regular housekeeper came by when I was in the room and she did a good job each day so I don't think it was her fault. We tipped her well at the end because I truly don't think it was her fault that the room was filthy when we checked in.

The other issues we had were that the front desk were not helpful in any way. Once I asked for an ink pen to keep score of our card game while we sat in the lobby bar and the female Clerk told me no, I could not borrow a pen and if I wanted one I would have to go to my room and see if there was one in the desk...? Seriously, the front desk won't let a guest borrow a pen for an hour??? We received a coupon book for the hotel with our reservation. There was a coupon for money off at the spa. We used the spa several times and charged it to our room. When we checked out and paid for our spa services we gave the Front Desk Clerk our spa coupon and she said that even though we got the coupon from the front desk, and we paid for the spa service at the front desk, she would not accept it and if we wanted our money we would have to walk 10 minutes across the street to the spa and take it up with them. SERIOUSLY?? How would we have done that since we didn't pay at the spa but at the front desk? We just let it go because we had a plane to catch and didn't have time to walk to the spa and correct the issue AFTER we had to pay. Such a scam. The Front Desk was the only place other than the Italian Restaurant that we received horrible service. They were also the only people we didn't tip. It was bizarre how horrible they were. As for the Italian Restaurant, our Server was very nice but told us he had too many tables. He was correct because we barely ever saw him and people in other sections came and went before we ever got our food. The Manager came over and took our drink order, but never returned with them. We finally left being there for over 2 hours and our dessert still hadn't been served. He was overly busy and he did have too many tables, but it was a horrible dinner.

Last complaint is that if you want to eat anywhere but the buffet, which really tastes like mass produced food, because it is, then you have to make a reservation for dinner at a restaurant. However, we never got to eat anywhere except the Mexican Restaurant and the Italian Restaurant. The rest were always booked. For lunch and breakfast you can eat anywhere, so we tried the Brazilian Restaurant across the street at the other El Cid, for breakfast once, but our Server never came back after taking our juice order and after 15 minutes of watching him gossip near the front we just left. Oh, and I almost forgot. For lunch there is a nice open-air tented dining area set-up off of the pool area that overlooks the beach. The problem is that about 50 bees swarm the soda fountain and the entire time we were there, not once did I see the hotel try to fix the issue. One guy told me it was ok and they wouldn't sting me???? I was too scared of being stung to ever get a soda. It was crazy and more than a bit scary that to get a soda you had to stick you hand among 50 bees and hope you didn't get stung, which would pretty much put a damper on your relaxing vacation. I just ordered a cocktail instead!

The Pros were that the service is mostly amazing and the employees, for the most part, seem to work very hard and really care about serving their guests. The food in the reservation restaurants (that we were able to get into) is very good and the pools are very nice. The little huts on the beach are very nice too.

We got a pretty good deal on this hotel, so I can't complain too much. I was very pleased by the service and disappointed by several aspects of the hotel, but over all we had a good time and it was a nice get-a-way. Had I not gotten a good deal on it, I would not have been so pleased. I have never in my life had a problem like I had with my wet and dirty room before, but I did resolve it myself. If you are looking for a reasonably priced get-a-away with great service, a pretty pool, good beach access, and good location, then is will be a nice hotel to choose. The tres leches in the Mexican Restaurant is delicious!! If you are looking for an incredible room, ease of dinner options, and a nice front desk area, then this is not the place for you. 3.5 stars is accurate.

My final word is that these employees work hard and deserve to be tipped for their hard work. I saw VERY few people tip the staff. I find this pretty sad and understand that the hotel is all inclusive and that includes most of your gratuities, but these people work really hard and deserve an extra something when they provide good service. It's just common sense and common courtesy.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CasualTraveling4Me
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2010

Dear CasualTraveling4Me

Greetings from sunny beaches of Mazatlan!!!

All the staff and I would like to thank you for taking some minutes of your time in order to giving us your opinion about El Cid Castilla.

I´m delighted to read you were satisfied with the service delivered by our staff, by other hand, I would like apologize for the aspects of the hotel we did not met your expectations. Both, positive and constructive criticism give us the tools to reinforce areas where is needed.

Please know that we will take actions about the issues you have mentioned, they have been passed to the heads of the departments involved for taking necessary steps (Maintenance, Front Desk, Housekeeping, A & B), we truly appreciate your observations, our focus is always on enriching the guest experience at El Cid Castilla, and improvement, is a constant process here; listening our guest´s comments is the only way to do it.

I have shared your kind comments with Roberto, Francisco, Guillermo, Leticia and Hermes, they appreciate your recognition to their service delivered.

We hope you will us an opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Thanks again and warm regards,

Mark Covarrubias Mackay

Reviewed May 18, 2010

This was the second time my group of 8 stayed at the El Cid Castilla. The first time was about 9 years ago. The improvements in the quality of the food services and decor in the rooms was immense. The 27 holes of golf across the street was the main reason for returning. However with the quality of the food and a la carte choices they now offer, my group has already booked to go back again in 2011.

In regard to the food - it was the a la carte restaurants that were the ones that impressed me, both with the food and the service. The only a la carte restaurant that needs some help in the service area is the Sushi Restaurant..

The buffet was great for breakfast, but not my favorite for dinner. Lunch at the buffet by the ocean was good, but could be better by having a b-b-q there every day at lunch.

We were in the oceanfront rooms in the lowrise buildings and they were quite nice with a gorgeous view.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank michelletravelagent
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2010

Dear michelletravelagent

First of all, it was a pleasure to have you at this your home once again. I appreciate the time you took to share this review. I´m happy to know that you had a memorable experience.

Indeed i´m delighted to read that you noticed our improvements in the quality of food services and decor in the rooms, our objective is to provide the highest standard of Customer Care possible and always aim for excellence in service and product, it is very satisfying to know that we are doing well.

We are proud of offering a wide variery of complementary services in our complex for delight of our guests.

On behalf of all our staff, thanks again for this valued comments, we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Until soon!!!

Mark Covarrubias MacKay

Reviewed May 11, 2010

I travelled with 7 other friends to Mazatlan and stayed at the El Cid Castilla Beach location. The facilities were good and the service staff was also friendly and efficient. Unfortunately the administrative staff completely failed. We had made a reservation for FOUR OCEAN FRONT double rooms by using the 800 number on the El Cid website. I made the reservations two months prior to the trip. I also called the night before the trip and confirmed the FOUR OCEAN FRONT double rooms.

When we arrived we were told that they didn't have the reservation for the 4th room. I showed the staff my printed documents with the confirmation numbers and was told they still couldn't find it. He then asked me questions like when did I make the reservation, which 800 number did I call, etc. In general, instead of attempting to solve the problem politely and professionally, he was trying to shift the blame.

Eventually we got all four rooms but not without a bit of a struggle and frustration. Then however, I noticed that the rooms were all on the 14th floor. I asked are these rooms OCEAN FRONT and he said no, they are ocean view and that they don't have any ocean front rooms available. What about our reservation? Sorry he said. Ok what about the rate? The rate is the same he says, although on the website, the rate is listed as $22 cheaper for the ocean view than for the ocean front. I'm back home and still working on resolving the issue.

I think the best way to describe the style of this hotel is 'faded glory'.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank antonio999x
Reviewed May 8, 2010

We spent a week at the El cid in Mazatlan and enjoyed it immensley. We were in the all inclusive option. I will let you know the good and not so good things about this property. My husband and I have travelled to many all inclusives. The good - the service was excellent including pool service and beach service they brought drinks and we did tip a dollar every time or 5 dollars at the beginning so they came back. The a'lacarte dinners were the best we have ever had the pleasure of eating in fact we checked with our westjet advisor because we were worried we would be charged since the food was so great and even bottles of win on the table the service was awesome! The room was clean and the staff friendly.
The bad - the buffet we could not find very much that we enjoyed at the buffet except the past bar but that was ok because we just ate at the a'lacarte's for breakfast and dinner. The front desk staff was a bit abrupt and somewhat helpful. I was hoping to upgrade our room - this was not included in our booking - I knew the hotel was just over half capacity so we tried to upgrade to a king bed but they kept saying none were available unless we sacrifed out view we chose to keep a room on upper floor we love to read on our balcony. It may have been true there were no rooms available I just found it hard to belive. Also they were doing some construction which would've been nice to be aware of.
Don't get me wrong we would go back to the El cid the service and food was awesome and we have never stayed where the pools were heated. I just wanted to give a fair overview of the property.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Devona35
CSElCid, Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2010

Dear Devona35

Warm greetings from Mazatlan and El Cid Castilla!!!

Thank you for staying with us recently and spendind some of your precious time to post a review of your stay and share your experience on Trip Advisor.

We really appreciate all your comments; I am gladly to read you were satisfied with the service delivered, our restaurants a la carte, the cleanliness of your room and that you enjoyed of our pools heated. We always try to do our best to ensure all of our guests are satisfied..

It is a pleasure for us to offer upgrades to our guests when occupancy allows us. We always strive to go beyond our guests requests, however, due to the high occupancy, it’s not always possible. We know that there may be errors, for that reason we really appreciate all your feedback and comments provided by our guests. They provide the tools that let us know what we need to improve.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back, it would a honor assit you personally.

Kind regards,

Reviewed May 6, 2010

This was my first time to Mazatlan. I've travelled to the Mayan many times before so it was exciting to be somewhere new. There was a total of 19 of us staying for 2 weeks at the El Cid. We travelled with West Jet and I'm pretty sure I'll fly with no one else but West Jet from now on. We paid 1300 dollars to travel from Edmonton and stay for 2 weeks all inclusive - we definitely got our moneys worth.

Check-in to the resort was a breeze. We had the poolview rooms which were nice because they were the closest to pool/beach, so if you forgot something you could quickly run back and get it. Some of my friends came home from the bar one night to find their room on the ground floor infested with bugs. The hotel had them upgraded to a room in the tower on the 7th floor within an hour - they had an amazing view and it was much more updated than the poolview rooms.

Service is excellent. The staff serving in the La Cascada are restaurant are amazing - I have nothing but good things to say about them.

We ate at the buffet the first night and a few breakfasts after that. However, we soon figured out that La Cascada is an al la carte breakfast & lunch restaurant which I thought was an excellent feature and they had awesome breakfasts and lunches. You don't need to make a reservation to eat there fore breakfast and lunch - just for supper. There's also another buffet that's open for lunch which is located near the beach. There's a burger snack bar in front of the Cascada that is also included in the all inclusive plan.

Al la carte restaurants that are included with the all inclusive are the sushi bar, La Cascada (mexican), La Pergola (italian) and El patio (argentenian) - this one is located at the granada across the street. The mexican resaturant for supper was my least favorite. The other 3 were awesome and we rebooked them over and over again. At this resort you are allowed to book the al la cartes as many timse as you want. All other all inclusive resorts that I've stayed in usually have a limit to how many times you can eat there.

The pool was excellent - my friends enjoyed the cliff and waterfall. The beach was nice, except all other reviews are not downplaying the amount of vendors that approach you and as patient as I am, it does get really really annoying and I only went to the beach once out of the 2 weeks becuz of the vendors. Also, keep in mind that this is on the pacific side - you're not going to get clear waters and white sand beaches like the Mayan/Cancun side has.

For all Canadians that love clamato juice, the resort does have clamato juice, except make sure before you order a beer and clam or caesar that they're using Clamato not Kermato. You can also buy the clamato from most of the convenience stores surrounding the resort - it's still not as good as Mott's but it's pretty close.

I found for the beach bars, you received the best service from the little tent that is near the el moro pool. The hotel does have a lobby bar and it is only open until 1. However, Senor frogs is connected to the resort so if you still feel like partying you can head there, but of course it's not part of the all inclusive plan. Other good bars in Mazatlan are Bora Bora, Valentino's, and Sumbawa. Bora Bora and Valentino's are side by side and have awesome foam parties that I would recommend going to. Senor frogs usually has a mardi gras theme on Wednesdays.

I found that there's not alot of excusions to do in Mazatlan compared to other places I've travelled. We did the Stone Island booze cruise for 20 bucks - the beach at Stone Isaldn is beautiful compared to the beaches in Mazatlan. We did get to see dolphins and sea lions which were neat. However, it's moreso a cruise to booze as they did not allow alcohol on the boat. Once you get to teh island you get your booze and food included which overall is good value for 20 bucks. You also have a choice of horse back riding, quadding, banana boating, kayaking, snorklelling, etc. Some of the people we met did the snorkelling and said you pretty much snorkel in algae.

If you enjoy eating out at restaurants, I would highly recommend checking out Fat Fish. They have amazing ribs, but make sure you're hungry cuz the portions are huge. Also, the Shrimp Bucket was really good too.

Also, keep in mind that the hotel provides you with bottled water and yes you do have to pay for this when you checkout. However, we were there for 2 weeks, went through tons of water bottles and my boyfriend and I were only charged 60 pesos. Not the end of the world.

Overall for what we paid, we definitely got our moneys worth and if I were to go back to Mazatlan, I would definitely stay at this resort again. If you have any questions, dont' hesitate to ask.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank elderk1
CSElCid, Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2010

Dear elderk1

We are honored you chose to stay with us during your trip to Mazatlan. We are pleased you found our acommodations beautiful and comfortable. We sincerely appreciate all comments that are provided.

Indeed, as you mentioned, we take actions immediately to our guest´s concerns. El Cid is characterized to offers a high standard of service and facilities.

I´m pleased that you enjoyed the facilities and delighted all our restaurants wich are part of the All Inclusive plan. Spoiling each guest that walks through our doors is our objective.

Thank you very much for this wonderful review. We look forward to welcoming you every time you come to Mazatlan.

Kind regards,

Reviewed May 5, 2010

We stayed at the El Cid Castilla from April 8-22, 2010 and had a wonderful vacation experience. From check-in to check-out we felt we were treated very well by the entire resort staff. The rooms and resort property were very well maintained and several staff worked tirelessly to keeps the grounds looking immaculate. The weather could not have been better for our stay...(Highs between 29-33 Celsius every day.)

The hotel staff and servers were unbelievable and deserved every tip received (I like to tip). A few even went far above the call of duty to ensure the guests were happy and well looked after.

The location on the ocean was breathtaking and left me spending many hours either in, or very near the water listening to the crashing waves. The resort also has incredible swimming pools that kept my family busy for the entire vacation.

Our room overlooked the pools and was high in the tower for a great panoramic ocean view. The rooms are very spacious (quite comfortable for a family of four). The only drawback would be that the beds are extremely "firm" and there is no mini refrigerators in the rooms.

The all-inclusive package was well worth the money and between the a la cart and buffet restaurants we always found plenty to eat (too much at times!) I certainly have to say that at the Italian a la cart restaurant, the server "Carlos" is one of the best we have ever seen. We ate there several times and requested him to serve us because of how great his service was. He should truly be commended for going above and beyond the norm to please his patrons. We also had two amazing servers at La Pergola restaurant "Alejandro" and "Hugo" made our experience unforgettable.

We also did the city tour offered by the hotel (Pronatours) and had a great three hour excursion throughout Mazatlan with a very gifted tour guide.

All in all, I would recommend this resort and would travel back in an instant because of the budget price for a great vacation experience.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Relaxing_Pastor

Dear Relaxing_Pastor

Thank you for your wonderful review of our staff and hotel. Keeping customers happy, ensuring that they come back in the future is the aspiration of El Cid.

We are delighted to see that the room, pool, service exceeded your expectations. We realize we are in a competitive market. We take pride in offering a high quality of standard of service to you, our guests. We take seriously our suggestion´s guests, we take them in a constructive manner, assure they will be analyzed by our team management.

I shall share your kinds words to Carlos, Alejandro and Hugo, they will be very grateful to you for your recognition to their labor.

We are proud to offer a variety of fun options to ensure the guest´s experience. Once again, thanks for taking your valued time to share your feedback with other travelers, and for your recommendation to stay at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, I infinitely appreciate your gesture.

Until next time,

Reviewed May 5, 2010

Overall an excellent trip for our first all inclusive vacation. We booked this trip through WestJet Vacations and recevied an excellent price. Getting to and from the hotel via the transfers was flawless. The property was well maintained and offered much to do (pool activities, boggie boards, etc). The staff were excellent with the only drawback being the length it took to check into the room. Other than that the place was kept spotless. The staff working the Pool / patio bar and the lobby bar were top notch. We ate at the Italian, Argentine, and Mexican el la carte and all were good offering a varity of dishes. There are a number peddlers, however a few polite "no thank-yous" and they for the most part left you alone. The room we had was a well kept basic room with a pool/ocean view. While we were there it was evident that they were making efforts to maitain the hotel via painting various areas of the hotel and remodelling rooms (we were on the 7th floor, the 5th floor rooms were being re-done). The swimming pools were very nice and an enjoy to use.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ritcj

Dear ritcj

Greetings from the pearl of the Pacific!!!

Thank you for taking the time to write your experienced with us at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel.
We are delighted that you found our services and facilities to your satisfaction.

I´m happy that overall you had a great stay with us, that you enjoyed the wide variety of dishes we offer in our restaurants a la carte, the beautiful pools, and that the service delivered by our staff met your expectations.

All the members of the staff put all their efforts to provide our guests what they deserve, facilities well maintained and excellence in service delivery, our goal is to provide our guests of the highest standards in service and product.

Tell your family and friends that when come to Mazatlan, El Cid Castilla is the best place to stay.
Best regards,