“El Cid Castilla, excellence through attention to detail”

El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel
Ranked #7 of 78 Hotels in Mazatlan
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Alberta
“El Cid Castilla, excellence through attention to detail”
Reviewed January 4, 2010

Being a first time visitor to Mazatlan I was somewhat apprehensive what to expect with the El Cid Castilla. I have experienced travels to Puerto Vallarta, (3 times), and Cancun,(2) in my somewhat limited travels to Mexico, this may be the best travel experience I have enjoyed.

Check in was efficient and swift, the only gripe I have was the short, yet insistent intervention of the "Information" ladies, they are cordial and polite, but I have been through the tour/timeshare shakedown thing enough times to want to run as fast and as far away as possible without being rude and jerky.

I was fortunate to be on the 14th floor, ( several floors are missing on the elevator's scale), corner suite. The room was very big, everything worked. AC, not overwhelming, ceiling fan as well. The bathroom was well appointed, still a bit confused about the shower controls though, half a turn meant cold after, regardless of both taps turnes on or off, full blast after a minute meant very warm to hot.

Being on the All-Inclusive package I pretty much kept to the buffet at the Pergolas part of the place. Excellent, no fighting for a table, the food was great, I am a burger and fries blue collar type, but there was something available for even the pickiest eater. The server/attendants are really on point, ready to serve you that extra beverage or whatever, this is where the El Cid Castilla impressed me, attention to detail. This place is sparkling clean, considering the size of the place it shows the management and staff have their act together, perfection?, pretty darn close.

My stay was very enjoyable at the El Cid Castilla

4 Thank lathe-dog
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, January 5, 2010
Dear lathe-dog

Thank you for your kind comments and for taking the time to post your hotel review.
I was especially pleased to read of the helpful and friendly service you received from our staff and was equally pleased to know you found your accommodations comfortable.

Our hotel location is hard to beat and is close to many Mazatlan highlights which makes it popular to business and leisure travelers alike.

We are most appreciative of your acknowledgment that our hotel services and facilities far exceed that which you have experience elsewhere.

Kind regards,

Mark Covarrubias McKay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (507)
Vail, CO
Reviewed January 1, 2010

I went to Mazatlan for 2 weeks alone. I found good pricing at El Cid Castilla Beach. I have stayed there several times, but I have not been to Mazatlan for 15 years. The hotel is nice, clean and pretty updated. I did not choose the all-inclusive, so I ate at the various restaurants in the hotel and used room service. The food was excellent and reasonably priced. The pool was always clean. The beach was always clean and raked. The service everywhere was excellent.
There were a few outstanding people I encountered. There was a misunderstanding when I booked, and Karla in Customer Service was helpful and resolved the issue quickly. I was pleased by the newletter I received each day with activities listed. I went to Spanish Class most often. Fhernando, is funny, cute, and a great teacher. He also performs in the shows at night, and is a great dancer. He teaches salsa dancing poolside in the afternoon. I only went once, but it was fun. I ordered food poolside, and at the beach quite often. Tomas is the best waiter out there. Look for him. He will take care of you. Also, Freddy is the best room service waiter if you can get him. Bety took care of my room each day. She greated me with a smile, and did a great job. I used the spa many times. Hector greeted me each day. I had 5 massages with Guadalupe. He is excellent. I so enjoyed my trip, I am going back for 2 weeks in Jan.

2 Thank oldladyVail_CO
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2010
Dear oldladyVail_CO

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience in our hotel! Your comments are greatly appreciated, as they also carry with them a great motivational value for our team.

Customer care is amongst our highest priorities and it is always gratifying to receive such praise. I have brought your comments to the all mentioned departments: positive reviews are really worth to be told to our staff!
Your patronage is important to us, and we hope that you’ll continue to give us opportunities to serve you and hope that your future stays with us will be even more enjoyable.

With best regards,

Portland
Reviewed December 30, 2009

The stay was nice during a peak part of the holidays. The pressure started the minute
you get off the plane with deals, timeshare purchases and constantly needing to say NO.
They even rode in the taxi to pressure you into making deals. While there are many freebees, be sure you are confident enough to withstand the manipulation.
The hotel was OK, although noisy & the hotel dining not so great but close enough to good food along the beach & local restaurants. Despite those issues, I would have recommended the hotel up till the end of my stay when my ipod was stolen from within the security of the concierge holding my bags, The final straw is the lack of reponse or reply to my request for attention to this matter suggests that this is a common experience. While security is always an issue, the employees can be the most telling of the hotels quality by the way they represent it. Many website addresses seem to go nowhere.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank lmclella
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed December 29, 2009

Our 2 families (4 adults, 4 kids ages 10-18) just returned from a magical, memorable week-long Christmas time stay at El Cid Castilla Beach on the All-Inclusive plan (booked through USAirways Vacations). El Cid's stellar staff, the quality and variety of guest dining and activities, and the relaxing beauty of the surroundings elevate this vacation experience to exceptional levels all around. Ideal for families and active types, yet plenty of peaceful, private, even romantic spaces and dining for couples and those just wanting to lounge around.

SERVICE
I cannot say enough here! Efficient, courteous professionalism is what you expect at a resort, and El Cid uniformly delivers. But in many instances the service went way beyond this, without ever being overbearing. A genuinely friendly atmosphere pervades the entire property, consolidating in every personal interaction with the staff. Please understand the caliber of service and hospitality you are receiving, and appropriately recognize it just as you would in your own country, with gratuity. I want to name the individuals whose combination of skill and warmth we will remember most. Because of them, this vacation truly stands out as one of our best ever. Charming MARIO in the Pergola and Alhambra brightened our breakfasts and lunches with detailed attention, humor, patience, and valuable information. The Lobby Bar kept us coming back, thanks to bartender CARLOS and cocktail waitress LUTICIA. At Alcazar, the brilliant PEDRO transported our entire group to dining nirvana with his impeccable, world-class service and endearing congeniality. MARTIN at the Pool Bar made us all feel at home. And we will never forget the warm courtesy of JORGE at El Patio, whose astonishing skill at Mexican coffee preparation is the Cirque de Soleil of tableside presentation. In the Spa’s lovely Ladies locker room and fantastic steam room, CRUCITA tends to every need and comfort while keeping the whole area spotlessly clean. KARLA in guest services also gave us special attention, thank you KARLA. Even the security people—ISMAEL, CARLOS—were hospitable and kind.

PROPERTY
Before you arrive, familiarize yourself with the overall property and reservation-only restaurants (do NOT miss these!!!). Beachfront El Cid Castilla Beach is adjacent to beachfront El Moro, with shared pool areas. Alcazar (Italian) and Cascada (Mexican) are here, as well as Pergola (dinner buffet and show). A skywalk connects these to Granada (home of El Patio (Argentinian), the spa, nice little gym with cardio and weights, golfing, tennis and a lap pool. All of this is short walking distances. The nicely landscaped and maintained grounds are relentlessly yet discreetly cleaned, as are the pools, breezeways, rooms, restaurants, bars, and ... well, everything. Strolling around the grounds is a pleasure. Buffet dining breakfast and dinner (with show) are indoors at Pergola, in the tower’s lower level. Buffet lunch is oceanfront at Alhambra, a covered patio one level above the beach itself.

ROOM
Our rooms were kindly upgraded from pool view to 2 neighboring 8th Floor Castilla Tower rooms. Very spacious rooms with huge balconies. Nicely appointed, functional shelving and closet and storage, blackout curtains. Very clean—thank you GENOVEVA! Views of the pool, beach, ocean two islands, sunsets. A/C works great or open the window and door to balcony. Beds are firm, quality mattresses, nice sheets and thick covers. Toppers available in limited supplies.

FOOD & DRINK
Pleasant buffet breakfast has a wide variety of hot and cold items: fresh local fruits (ah, the papaya) and freshly-made juices from these, yogurts, fresh pastries, tortillas, pancakes, meats, local specialties, and made-to-order omelet stations. Buffet lunch also offers a wide selection, with daily fish, meat or shrimp specials, delicious salads, and lovely shaded oceanfront ambiance looking out at the islands and beach. Pool bar serves killer margaritas on the rocks, frozen pina coladas (virgin if you wish)--whatever you care to imbibe. Guacamole, burgers, fries etc. at the snack bar by swim-up bar. Pergola dinner buffet is ok (you can just come for the show only). Definitely do the reservation-only restaurant experience! We tried Cascada, where we enjoyed surf and turf (lobster and steak), a quesadilla bar, and a serve-yourself tequila bar. Alcazar, with its beautiful decor and amazing PEDRO (honorable mention to ANDRES), was a hit three times over. The food at Alcazar, and at El Patio where JORGE works his magic, is for the most part delicious and beautifully presented. The few disappointments were mild and easily overlooked thanks to PEDRO and JORGE. Our favorites: the Argentinian wines at both restaurants, El Patio’s beef empanadas, shrimp brochetta, desserts, Jorge’s exquisite Mexican coffee (just as lovely to taste as behold), and Alcazar’s carpacchio, filet mignon, shrimp balsamic, and desserts. And the chinchon! And the ravioli! And PEDRO! And JORGE!

ENTERTAINMENT & SIGHT-SEEING
We saw three of the nightly shows, all were very well done. Superb professional dancers and themed choreography, as well as costumes, lighting and sound. Senor Frogs (street level in Castilla) is a super-touristy fun music video-type disco (sometimes live music). Colorful Valentino’s at the head of the Malecon has several discos/bars, some closed early in the week so plan ahead. Night time rides in pulmonias (or little red trucks to seat more than 4) are a blast! Old Town (plazas, Cathedral, Angela Peralta Theatre, shops, restaurants) should not be missed, especially at night. The lighthouse delivers spectacular 360 degree views of all of Mazatlan. We missed the art museum… maybe next time!

POOL, BEACH, SPORTS
Castilla pool is a huge heated pool with swim-up bar and lots of lounge chairs. Sometimes quiet, sometimes party atmosphere, depending on Activities schedule and time of day. El Moro pool (not heated) features a fast twisty slide and waterfalls off high rocks you can also jump from—great fun. Beach (yes, vendors galore, some good deals though! Or just say “No, gracias”) is nice, with chairs, palapas, numerous water sport options, and surf was good for boogie boarding (included) at this time of year, very gentle incline, mellow waves. Summer might be a different story (bigger surf, quemadores)! Kayaking (included on the AI plan) was great! We also did the driving range, $7 (balls and clubs). Look for those giant iguanas near the bushes! The Lobby bar offers two pool tables you can sign up to use for free, and comfortable seating for any size group to gather for conversation and games.

This great vacation will resonate in us forever! I hope my review conveys the Mexican amity and spirit that so greatly enhanced my family’s experience in Mazatlan. May that same good will return to you all, MARIO, PEDRO, JORGE, CARLOS, LUTICIA, MARTIN, CRUCITA, GENOVEVA, KARLA, and the entire El Cid staff.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank TigerPrints
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, January 4, 2010
Dear TigerPrints

El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel gives our young and adults guest a truly wonderful vacation, filled with a lot of fun entertainment and delicious food.Our staff is well train to receive locals and foreigners guests, always with a truly warm welcome that characterize El Cid Resorts.

Now that you have experienced El Cid Castilla we hope to get the opportunity to welcoming you back in the future.

Warm regards,

Denver
Reviewed December 28, 2009

I was only here for 3 days, 2 nights I met guests that were staying there for a week or more and had been there before so clearly this is a place that people love to come back to. I was looking for a spot on the beach for a few days that was inexpensive but all inclusive. Everything was comfortable, clean and well maintained. If you are looking for an upscale hotel this is not the place for you, but if you want an place to stay, good people, and great service then this is wonderful. I had several people on staff from bellboy to bartender ask how long I was staying and when I would be back.
I ate at their Italian restaurant and the Sushi restaurant which is in the attached spa/fitness area. Sushi? Don't bother. I figured being right on the ocean the sushi would be good or at least decent. Being fully Mexican staffed...the sushi was not very good. The Italian food was very good with limited but acceptable wine (it's Mexico and if it ain't Tequila then you're outside their expertise on alcohol selection). Food on the buffets for dinner, breakfast and lunch was actually a bit above average. So my grade on the food is 6 out of 10.
For a clean and friendly place to stay without paying a lot this is a great place.

1 Thank kevinwenning
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, December 31, 2009
Dear kevinwenning

Thank you for choosing El Cid Castilla during your trip to Mazatlan. We do appreciate hearing from our customers, as their comments are vital for us to continue improving our accommodation. As you may know, so few people take the time to write reviews, when they are satisfied with a product.

In general, customer’s reviews are shared internally with competent departments, but comments that require any kind of adjustments (Sushi Bar and alcohol selection) is forwarded to our main direction for evaluation.

Thank you again for your comments. We hope that you will give us another chance to serve you.

Best wishes for next year,

Regina, Saskatchewan
Reviewed December 26, 2009

My sister and I stayed at the El Cid Castilla from Dec. 14th-21st and we had the best time of our lives! Neither one of us had ever been to Mazatlan before but were willing to see what it was all about and it was totally worth it! The service was by far the best we have ever received, way beyond our expectations! The food was so delicious, we could have had steak and lobster every night!!! Both pools were unreal! The beach was awesome, a perfect view, literally! The rooms were good, a great view, the beds were a little stiff but that's how they are at most resorts! The maids never touched any of our stuff, although we made sure to tip them $2 US each day and we did lock up our valuables in the in-room safe. It was also my sister's birthday while we were there and I didn't mention it to customer service until the morning of but they said no problem and that they would do something nice... So they had the room done up with balloons everywhere, the wrote Happy Birthday on her bed with flower petals, they brought a bouquet of flowers, tiger lilies to be exact and they also made a cake for her! Now that is service!!! I honestly could go on and on and on. I recommend the El Cid without any hesitation and Mazatlan is such a beautiful city, the people are soo sweet and there is soo much to see and do! The Machado Square is a must see at night....just unreal! Enjoy:D

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank amberunique
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, December 28, 2009
Thank you amberunique for taking the time to review El Cid Castilla. Mazatlan during the holidays is truly magical and we are so happy that we were a part of making this “the best vacation” of your life.

We will be sure to let our team members know of your wonderful experience and we thank you for taking the time to post your comments.

Enjoy the holidays and thank you for staying with us.

Bonner Springs, Kansas
Reviewed December 23, 2009

We first vacationed at the El Cid about 10 years ago and truly enjoyed both the hotel and Mazatlan in general. Our return trip fully met our expectations - a simple but clean and spacious room, a wonderful staff, great food and a facility perfect for our needs. We were especially impressed with the considerate and informative contacts we received regarding the H1N1 alert, the extra care one particular associate took to tell us about the local attractions (thank you, Heidi), and the friendliness of the other vacation-goers staying at the resort. One additional outstanding detail: we forgot a picture taken at a local restaurant - the hotel shipped it to us.
This was a great vacation overall and we would definitely return again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, December 24, 2009
Dear sullyschofield

Thank you for writing this overall very positive review of our hotel. We appreciate your comments on the size and the equipment of the room as well as on your meal experience in our restaurants.

We are happy that you always feel welcome and take pleasure in our services - we are always trying our best to make our guests feel at home. Thank you for your loyalty to our hotel.

As feedback from our guests is of great concern to me and helpful for Tripadvisor visitors, please do not hesitate to share some more experiences regarding your stay with us. It would be a pleasure to have you as our guest again in the near future.

Merry Xmas & Happy 2010!