“Wonderful Friendly Staff, Super Fun, Excellent Location, Plenty to do!”

El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel
Ranked #7 of 80 Hotels in Mazatlan
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed February 25, 2014

We had a 12 day stay with the all inclusive package. There were 6 of us (3 couples).

Fun and Friendly helpful staff
English/Spanish spoken

We got to know lots of the staff, like Martin the Bartender in the Mainfloor Lounge who would start making our favorite drinks as soon as he saw us approaching! It's no wonder he's so good at his job: He told us he has been there for 28 years! Getting to know your servers and bartenders and returning to have the same server each night is nice - it really make the resort feel familiar.

Resort Activities: The activity staff provide poolside bingo, games, water-aerobics, spanish lessons, an evening movie with popcorn twice a week, and other things- all free and very fun! During dinner in the main buffet they put on a show with music and dancing which is very fun and we got to see some of the other guests kids perform too which was nice! The hotel is right on the beach so if the pool isn't for you, the beach is right there! I actually was a bit overwhelmed by the beach vendors, but if you like barganing they sell the typical souveniers, sunglasses and stuff.

Restaurants: There are several restaurants you have access to in the resort if you opted for all-inclusive. BUT most of them are only avaiable for dinner AND you must make a reservation earlier on in the day (between 8am-5pm). We ran into some problems and found this to be kind of inconveinient because often the restaurants would book up before 11am. And anyway we like to sortof fly by the seat of our pants.... We prefer to find a restaurant when we are hungry, not reserve a table at 8 in the morning, when it's hard to guage when exactly we will be hungry!
You can rely on the main Buffet since no reservations are needed there. The food there is pretty good for the most part, and met our expectations. (Except some of the poolside food... some was good, some not so good.)
Also we did some deep sea fishing and caught marlin, (thru an El Cid fishing trip) and there is a restaurant at the hotel that will prepare a fielt of it for you so you can enjoy your fresh catch for lunch that day!

Gym: Clean and they have a pretty good variety of equiptment.

Other Things to do near the resort: The location of El Cid Castilla really maximizes your opportunities to explore because it's right in the middle of lots of interesting places.There are plenty of little bars, restaurants and shops right outside the hotel and down the street either direction. The little VW golf cart style taxis are everywhere! You can take one for a bout 80 pesos from the resort to the downtown/old town area, or 100-120 pesos to Playa Bruja (Our favorite beach).

I'd say that the only things we found inconvenient were:
- having to reserve for dinners at the majority of the restaurants, and
- that the all-inclusive information we recieved upon arrival, was sometimes contradicted which was confusing (for example, we were initially told we had access to beverages, snacks and internet/computers in the Elite Room, and then later were told we didn't and were not allowed).

Over all, we really enjoyed our stay, and left with fond memories! We really enjoy getting out to see the town, but we also never found ourselves bored in the hotel at all. The weather was beautiful, the staff was amazing, the place is just such fun!
Typically, we like to explore and stay at different hotels in different places, but we would make an exeption here. We would be delighted to return to El Cid Castilla in the future, and we recommend this resort to couples, families, well... anyone!

Room Tip: You get an amazing view in the tall tower: ocean view, and city view!! If you are a couple bookin...
1  Thank BeckyBeeWhoTravels
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2014

Dear BeckyBeeWhoTravels,

Thank you for taking the time in writing this review we always appreciate honest feedback. I’m glad we were able to provide exceptional vacation. Our number one priority is to fulfill our guests need and its great we were able to do that for you. We always brain storm new and fun activities so we can always have something for everyone to enjoy. We have many more idea for future plans! I see here you were a fan of our rooms how great that you like our instillations and you found everything in tip top shape as well as found our food and beverages in our ala cart restaurants. I will definitely be giving my staff the recognition they deserve so they can keep striving towards this direction. We hope we have the pleasure in hosting you again really soon!

Warm regards,

Reviewed February 23, 2014

We booked into this hotel for our first time in Mazatlan and it was fine. Good prices for the flight and stay! We usually do not stay in all inclusive so this was a departure. The food was fine and the drinks were plentiful but still prefer not staying in an all inclusive! The staff was fine. Wonder about the safety of the railings in the public areas for small children - think our 2 year old niece would have to be held onto so she would not fall over or under! Location is great for the downtown and we had some great rewards for going to the presentation-we did not buy since we have better amenities etc at where we already own!

1  Thank beejal
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2014

Dear, beejal

We want to thank you for your recent comment and for choosing us in your first trip to Mazatlan. I’m happy to read that our rate for the fly and stay are on your expectations, and our convenient location, staff service, was a good start.

Furthermore, I’m sorry to hear that your experience was not a positive one with your concerned about the safety of railings, we take note of this comment and we will add to our renovation program.

We appreciated you taking the time to review your stay and we hope you will come back to the El Cid Castilla Hotel on your next trip to Mazatlan.
Warm regards,

Reviewed February 22, 2014

My Girlfriend is very good at checking out reviews of Holiday Resorts, so when she told me that El Cid Castilla sounded like a great place to go, i took her word for it. Her evaluation of the resort was absolutely correct.
We had a great time and met a ton of great people, from resort Staff to travellers. When we originally checked in, we were at the El Cid Granada, which is an older building than the Castilla and further from the beach.
The room they showed us was huge but a little dated. They offered us an upgrade to the Castilla for a very reasonable price so we took them up on their offer. Glad we did. We had a great room very close to the beach and the pool. It's not a crazy resort full of wild partiers, so if you like to go to bed fairly early, you'll have no problem getting to sleep.
The pools are nice and clean with nice swim up bars at both pools. We hung around the same pool for the entire trip, because once we got to know the entertainment crew, we didn't want to change pools. The beach is nice and clean and we were lucky enough to have great weather the entire time. The only thing that got on my nerves a little, was the fact that, even though the Castilla had a roped off area for tanning at the beach, the peddlers or souvenir salespeople were allowed to walk right into the roped off area and try to sell their wares to you while you were trying to relax. On occasion, there was a security guard by the beach, but he never asked the peddlers to leave the roped off area. That is something I would suggest that the Manager Salvatore have a look into.
In regards to one of the other reviews that mentions the construction noise by the pool, it's important to mention that the staff went around the pool, offering people the opportunity to move to the quieter pool. Sometimes you have to endure a little construction or things will never progress or improve. Looking forward to seeing how nice the new outdoor restaurant will look once the renovations are complete.
Lets talk about the staff now. We went to the Buffet every morning for breakfast, where the food was great by the way, and we were happily greeted by Ricardo. We chose to sit in his section every chance we had.
Even though he doesn't speak fluent english, he was a great communicator and a ton of fun. I asked him if he knew where i could get a jersey from Mazatlan's professional baseball team, the Venados. I wanted an official jersey, not some cheap knock off. He told me he'd meet me after his shift and drive me there. I couldn't believe it what a great guy. Not only did he drive me to the official Venados souvenir store, but he also gave me a tour of their stadium, plus we stopped for a beer and he insisted on paying.
The pool Entertainment staff was incredible. Cesar and Aldo are great conversationalists and a lot of fun. They're both good Ping Pong players, but not good enough to beat me :-) Sorry guys, maybe next time.
There are two guys named Luis. One of them lived in the US for a while and has great english, so if you need a translator, he's your man. The other Luis is just plain LOCO. We played volley ball with this guy and he had us laughing the entire time.
The Bartender at the swim up bar, Orlando was a great guy and introduced us to a lot of very interesting drinks.
The mattresses were a little hard but other than that the rooms were fine and the Maids did a great job cleaning up every day.
I would definitely recommend this resort to everyone.

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Dean H
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2014

Dear, Dean.

First of all we want to give a special thanks to your girlfriend, she sounds like the kind of girl that really knows how to make good decisions. We are glad to hear that her first opinion about hotel Castilla was more than right. Secondly, thanks to you for posting this comment on Trip Advisor; we really appreciate the time and dedication that this involves.

We are very glad to hear that you are happy and satisfied with your stay at Castilla and also that you enjoyed our pools and staff. This resort is special for people that want to take quiet and restful vacations. On the other hand, we are sorry to hear about the souvenir salespeople, we are definitely taking your advice on that and make sure our manager is aware of this situation from now on.

Consider yourself totally invited to see the new outdoor restaurant next year, we will be happy to serve you again. We also find the story of Ricardo very interesting because, first of all, we believe that as a guest you must be a very wonderful person and Ricardo must have think that you were nice enough to take you out for beers and show you the baseball stadium after his shift. Personally, I believe that making friends is the key to living a happy life, not many people have that ability and I’m happy to see that you made friends with our staff. As a hotel, we are proud of our staff and happy to serve friendly guests just like you and your girlfriend.

Sorry about the mattresses, we will keep this in mind and do something about it so hopefully next year we can make you feel more like home. Thank you very much for your kind comments and for recommending our service.

We hope to see you soon, next year!

Best regards!

Reviewed February 21, 2014

We actually stayed at a different El Cid resort but with three young ladies (21, 22 and a 27 years old) joining me on this trip, let me tell you, we spent a lot of time HERE... great food and entertainment nightly on the lower level and a GREAT 3 piece group in the 'lounge' on the main level... just delightful. The staff at La Castilla, El Moro and La Marina are delightful, taking care of all our needs with graciousness and competence (nice eye candy too but that just made it all the MORE ENJOYABLE... Shuttle is available to a Can't speak for the rooms here but we had such a good time. We went all-inclusive (airfare incl) and could access 4 resorts, golf course and spa by shuttle with our bracelet.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2014

Dear Karen C,

It’s so great to hear about such a wonderful time you had here with us. It sounds like you had many opportunities to further explore our resort and I am glad you took full advantage of it. I am so proud of my staff for going above and beyond to provide such exemplarity service. We await anxiously for your next trip to Mazatlan!

Reviewed February 21, 2014

Have been back a few days from our stay at El CID. Overall the staff was exceptional, food good and wonderful location. It was enjoyable to be able to walk the beach and not have high rise after high rise. I agree with most of the reviews regarding the need for restaurant reservations. One restaurant allowed us earlier, another not, although there were tables available. Part of me understands the other does not. Couldn't you just set up outside tables/ bar for drinks until a table was available? Ironically, the worst service was at the ocean view restaurant that was not a part of the all inclusive. We left one night because the waiter decided we did not need a heater, although three were clearly available. Lunch on departure was the slowest and worst service.
My real reason for writing this review however is to warn anyone if they do not want to fight the battle of saving chairs, do not go. The no saving policy is not enforced. The first day we challenged the policy, we simply moved the towels that were saving the chairs to another chair. Although we were then in a middle of a large group, there was no challenge to our taking the pool chairs. The second time we moved to beach and had a nice discussion with the woman who was saving the chairs. She agreed it was against the policy, but when in Rome. We then decided we were on vacation and did not want the confrontation, because that was why we were on vacation. Left the resort for a few days and walked the beach, had a great time and better food and drinks than the resort. The next time, on the beach, we had an El CID employee tell us the chairs were being saved after we moved the saving towels. I asked reserved, he replied no saved. I then explained you cannot save chairs. I asked if we could get an umbrella and two chairs, yes, but we would need to rent the umbrella. Said no to that, we would take the chairs he was saving, no doubt for a price in tip. We were able to keep the chairs, but no one came the remainder of the day for the other two. Our final day, we saw open chairs and asked the people next to them if they were available. They stated no one had been there for over an hour and one half, we took them. This time, the savers subjected us, three members of security staff, our waiter, our beach El CID entrepreneur, and everyone else in proximity to their displeasure of the no saving policy. The El CID security absolutely enforced the policy and did in a highly professional manner and we retained the chairs. However do not think for a moment that El CID does as a rule and you will need to enforce on your own. It is also apparent that there is a enterprise on the part of El CID employees to save chairs. There are hotels that do enforce the policy and if this is important to you do not stay there. Fortunately, everything else about the stay; staff, room, pools, food was good. Drinks were watered but they never stopped coming. Up to you to decide what is most important.

Dear Carhykmm,

I thank you for taking the time to write this review. I´d like start off reserving chairs is not allowed under any circumstances. I am glad you brought it upon my attention, I will assure you that the proper precautions have been token into this matter, I will also be having a full on discussion with my security team to be more strict when It comes to allowing people safe there sports we have also started with a new procedure in way we can prevent this from happening. I do apologize for the few inconveniences you had with this but I am also content to read that besides that you had a good stay and you found our rooms, pools, and food fit your standers. I hope in a near future you are able to come again and see the changes we have made.

Reviewed February 20, 2014

Stayed with relatives who have a time share with the resort. Delayed getting checked in as our room had been "trashed" by the previous guests. Once we got in the room, found it to be quite nice with an excellent ocean view (18th floor). Not recommended for small children as the balcony offers little to no fall protection.
First meal there was great. Breakfast buffet is good. Bad part is, there is a set menu and it's the same choice night after night unless you go to the buffet. Main restaurant has a dress code of no T-shirts for men for any meal service. Apparently it does not apply to teenagers or locals who speak spanish.
Third day we were there our whole party got food poisoning. Kitchen staff all left early for new years eve and didn't clean up properly.
Staff is more than eager to get you into a time share seminar than help you plan a fishing trip.
Been there, wouldn't go back for free.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Dear KTEEdmonton,

Thank you for taking the time in writing your review. I am very concerned to hear that you experienced an unpleasant stay. I´d like to just point out that we have until 3:00 pm to give out and assign rooms and in any conformation you can see it is so, however we try our best to have as much rooms as possible ready for our guests comfort beforehand. It is unfortunate your were not a fan of our restaurants I do wish you would have been able to try some of ala cart restaurants for we have a few variety we count on a Mexican, Argentinean, Italian, and sushi bar to chose from. I am shocked to hear about your food posing due to the fact that this is a rare case and hardly ever happens for we always take the proper precautions needed to make sure everything is sanitary our guests health is our number one priority. It’s a shame we left you with an unsatisfying feeling but we would really like you to give us the opportunity to host you in a near future so you can take a note of our improvements we work day and night to achieve.

Reviewed February 20, 2014

We booked this trip for a wedding and had a blast. The Hotel was very clean and the staff was very nice. We only had a couple small issues, nothing major. We went for the Elite package and I would tell you all to just get that, it's so easy and worth the extra $.

Getting dinner reservations was something I read was an issue in other reviews and we did have that issue as well. We booked a table for 10 and sent a couple in the group to make sure they got there in time as we had heard that they won't honor a reservation if you're 15 minutes late. We go there and some others from our group had taken the table (not a big deal really) but the table was full. We saw about 10 other open tables and told them our group had grown and if we could just get another table we'd love to eat. We were told, quite rudely, that they would not serve us for another hour, even with the empty tables.

Other than that, everything was great, honestly, we all had a wonderful time. The food was good, better in some places more than others, didn't hear the greatest things about the buffet under the lobby. We went to the one located at the base of second tower.

Didn't have any issues getting a timeshare shoved down my throat. I had traveled all day and when they approached me I told them I was just too tired to care and had no interest. He took down my room number and told me no problem, never heard another word about it.

Elite was great, free room service and easy check in and check out, not a single issue with the bill.

The "towel game" as someone called it on here is very real, if you want shade by the beach in the morning you have to get up around 7am. The quite adult pool was wonderful, although it could be enforced better, we had people next to us blaring music from some bluetooth speaker- didn't help that they had a love for jazz flutes. Would have been nice to have someone come and tell them to stop, we tried a couple times to no avail, they also had a couple screaming kids.

All and all it was a great trip, no real issues. Clean, friendly and safe. Went all around Mazatlan and had a wonderful safe time.

We rented fishing boats from El Cid and had a blast, we made the mistake of renting another for about $200 cheaper with beer and such but it was a poor choice, the hotel's boats and staff were much much better and worth the extra $, would be nice to see them stock the boat with beer for $595- as it is with other outfits I've fished with.

I'd recommend El Cid to anyone looking for a great trip to Mexico.

Room Tip: Go Elite, get an ocean facing room in the tower, also the 3 room suites were very very nice.
1  Thank SeaTacFunTown
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2014

Dear seatacFunTown,

Just by looking at your title I was already that excited to read your review. It sounds like you had an unforgettable time which is always what we try to achieve. We always feel so honored to host such special events in once life such as weddings. Its great you really enjoyed your elite package and you took full advantage of what you had included it’s a great way to really explore our hotels and it’s awesome to know you were so fond of our Food and beverages. I apologize for minor inconveniences you had along the way like reserving for your night dinners , but I thank you for not allowing that to change your perspective of our hotel for we work really hard each and every day to try and give our best service to our guest and we hope to continue along that path. We hope you visit us again soon.