“The People Make the place”

El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel
Ranked #7 of 78 Hotels in Mazatlan
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Vancouver, Canada
“The People Make the place”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Just got back last night from two weeks at El cid Castilla in Mazatlan. The Hoel is ideally located and is clean and comfortable. It is a wonderful Mexican Hotel, not a new ulta modren american Hotel & I love it. when it comes to staff they are excellent. I have to mention Lecitta in the lobby Bar, her service and friendliness is perfect, she remembered us from our previous trip 3 years ago and she made us feel so welcome. I have to say the same for the Breakfast /lunch crew at the Mexican restaurant I want to mention names but am afraid I will miss someone! food was excellent so was the service. we found the food absoluetly delicious in all of the restaurants, I do Have to say Ceasar made the Itailan one such a great experience for us we had to go back more than once. we visited all of the restaurants at least once at enjoyed every meal and the were treated so well. El Cid has done very well in thier choice of staff, every where we went in the hotel the staff were friendly and helpful. we will definelty return and when we do I hope we see the wonderful people we have grown to know there.
our trip was Feb 8-22 2013

Room Tip: ask for water front the rooms at the very front are ideally localated for access to two pools the oc...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear: Sir

Your referrals are very important to us to encourage our staff and ourselves. You focused your attention on our good location, clean and comfortable establishment, are really appreciated.

We take a lot of commitment to deliver excellent service that is expected of us and we are pleased that you had a memorable stay. We pride ourselves in taking great care of our guests and will always do our best to excel in their expectations. Be assure Leticia at lobby bar, Cesar at Alcazar restaurant, and all of serves at the Mexican restaurant will receive a mention for their excellent job.

Thank you again for your most warm and generous compliments and sharing it to benefit all who visits this website!

We look forward to hosting you again. Please contact me directly when you next have the occasion to stay in Mazatlan. I will make the arrangements personally for you.

Best regards,

Salvatore Sanchez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (507)
Témiscaming Québec
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We stayed at El Cid Castilla from Feb 12-19 2013. We had a room with 2 double beds on the 14th floor with Ocean view. Beds were comfortable. Room was big and very clean. Had everything one would need. Towels and beds were changed daily.
La Pergola was the buffet restaurant for breakfast and dinner which had a big variety of food, tasty and always hot. A different theme night for dinner with the show after 8pm. The breakfast had an egg/omelet station with a variety of toppings.
We never made it to the À la carte restaurant due to the variety and satisfaction of the buffet.
The lunch buffet is located by the beach which also had a lot of variety meaning no one would go hungry there. Always something on the grill ( ribs, bbq chicken, fish).They also pizza, burritos, chicken wings, shrimp stir fry.
The service is excellent and they would go out of their way to satisfy you just ask if they have it you will get it.
The beach is just beautiful for swimming and for long, long walks. Vendors do come to you but with a No Gracias they will leave you alone. Servers do come to you for drinks.

Overall we are very satisfied with our stay and will definitely go back.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank HappyTravelers85
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear: HappyTravelers85

Thank you for the positive review! We are happy we made such a memorable experience for you. I have communicated your comments to all of my team as they really do enable us to identify with the levels of service that ensure our guests experience a great stay. I’m glad to read that you enjoyed the comfort of our rooms, such as our soft beds, our food and restaurants like La Pergola, and our al carts, as well as our excellent service provided by our staff and most importantly our wonderful Mazatlan Scenery such as our beautiful beach.

As you may be aware from my previous responses, I personally review all Trip Advisor reviews as they provide a fantastic amount of valuable feedback based on our guest’s views and opinions. I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed February 21, 2013

I am 24 and went to El Cid with my mom her partner and my grandma. It was a great trip, alla cartes were very nice, with a good atmosphere, breakfasts had lots of selection and lunch buffets were top notch with my particular favorite being the ribs.

When my family tired out at the end of the day I could still find lots of safe night life. I was able to get introduced to the dancers and they were an amazing bunch. They were really happy to take me out around town and show me the carnival. They were very friendly and enjoyed the fact that I came to ask to hang out with them. Also they are very talented performers and had amazing shows. Too name a few of the dancers; Tury, Karen, Martha, Teresa and Claudia.

This being my first trip to Mexico, I am still wanting to explore the rest of the country, however I met many ppl who I will stay in contact with and I wouldn't hesitate to come back to El cid.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear ColtenH,

Wow it sounds like you had a great time here with us and that brings me great joy! I’m glad our restaurants were at your taste and you enjoyed our live entertainment at la pergola with the dancers.

We always try and have everything in tip top shape so that our clients can see our hard efforts!

We are lucky to be able to live in Mazatlan and enjoy the annual celebration of our Carnaval and
I’m glad you were able to experience this wonderful tradition with us we are very fortune to be able to enjoy this every year, as for our staff of dancers they will definitely be recognized for their hard work and amazing hospitality, We do hope you come and visit us again soon it is our pleasure to assist you!

Warmest regardless

Saskatchewan, Canada
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We have travelled to different parts of Mexico as well as Cuba and the Dominican, this is my opnion of the El Cid. The hotel rooms are ok,about what you would expect from a 4*.We found our room had a very musty smell but discovered that if we left the bathroom fan run continuously it helped with the smell. The food was good. We ate at all 4 ala cartes and had no complaints about any of them. The waiter Noah at the Itailin was very good to us,we kept him past his home time and even at that he was very hospitable!
My biggest complaint about the food would be that the buffet was cold it didn,t seem to matter what time you got there, the food was cold.
The Albraham at the beach was nice they cooked a different meat out on the outdoor grill everyday that was always tasty. My favorite was the el Patio we went there almost every am for breakfast excellent food!
The wait staff for the beach were awesome!!
I found the hotel caters to time share people and they are very pushy in the front lobby to try and get you to go for their breakfast meeting. I told them no but they still called in the am.
The Lobby bar is where everyone went in the evenings its the only bar open. Most of the staff there was good except for one young waiter who was only interested in the young people. He refused to give us bottled water at times and refused to give us Baileys one night for our coffee, so we went to the bar ourselves and they opened a new bottle and we got some then. The music is too loud in the lobby it was hard to carry on a conversation.
WE met so many wonderful people at this hotel we had a great time every night!!
I also love the location of this Hotel right out on the Golden Mile we felt perfectly safe to go out at any time of day or night. We ate at Fat Fish one night excellent ribs for a very cheap price. We also stopped in at a little place called Roots they have live music every night it was very nice.
WE took in Gus Gus one night as well, good food, good music. I love the feel of Mazatlan and would consider going to this area again!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lorna N
Dear: Lorna N

Thanks for recognizing us with your 4 stars review on TripAdvisor. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and the accommodations we have to offer. Thank you as well for letting us know whose exemplary service really stood out and left a memorable impression

I would like to extend to you my sincere apology for any inconvenience you may have experienced as a result of the time share people, and the service our waiter at the lobby bar provided. We have taken note of your comments. Please be assured that your feedback has been discussed with our management and service teams so that we may take the steps necessary to improve ourselves in this area.

We appreciate all feedback and we do encourage our guests to be open and honest so that we can make things better in the future.

We are extremely proud of our efforts in maintaining a very high level of customer service, and we want to thank you for your recognition.

Cordially,

Reviewed February 19, 2013

This is my second trip to this hotel and it was great. The staff are #1. Thanks to all the servers in the restaurant and all the crazy pool staff/entertainers. Frank, Fernando, Simon (the lifeguard afraid of the water, lol), and all the bartenders were the greatest ever (dami...). Can't say enough good about them. Made the trip lots of fun, and Simon, you'd better watch your back cause one day when you don't expect it, I will seek revenge on you for the water you dumped on me, so be careful cause you never know when I will be back with a bucket of water for you.
Didn't appreciate the time share gals at check in, but we just told her no we wanted to get to our room, so she backed off, but they kept trying throughout our stay. At least they were very nice about it. We finally took the shuttle to the marina ourselves, but didn't tell them, and had a nice walk around the facilities, but decided it was not somewhere we would like to be as it is all hills and very limited beach access down a hill, but a nice little free trip (minus the tip).
The ocean was quite rough our first week but much better the second and beautiful beach to swim in, but they don't change the red flag ever, so don't be scared by that.
The restaurants were all great. We booked a different one each evening, then went to the buffet to watch the show, which was lots of fun, very entertaining. The girls are so brave with those partitions in the ceiling and they are hoisted up but always seem to miss the big beams, thank goodness.
Only problem we had was with our maid. We started out tipping her, then the 2nd week, didn't bother, when it became apparent it didn't help. We had to phone down many times for shampoo, soap, towels, and once she didn't come for 2 days so I went down and asked for the room to be made up, which it was immediately.
Our floor also kept running out of ice, which was very annoying and didn't replace it for days. Get your bottled water for the rooms from the bar, as they will give you whatever you want. They always try to charge you for the 2 bottles of water in the room at check out, but we didn't drink those, so they reversed the charges. Same thing happened last time.
Safes are part of the package, but they come with keys, so plan for the safekeeping of that as our neighbors lost theirs and had to have it drilled out, at a cost to them.
Rooms are quiet, but I requested non smoking because of allergies, and got a smoking room. Beds smelled of smoke, but at least the linen was clean.
If you want to check in prior to the flight, the office will do it for you 24 hours in advance, so you can choose your seats, and by the way, you get no meal with Westjet so take something if you need to eat in that time and don't want to buy their sandwiches, which were actually very good. All in all a very good, clean, well repaired hotel with great staff, great food, great drinks, and a great time. We will return.

Room Tip: all rooms seem to be beach view and you don't pay a surcharge for shrimp, premium booze (some of...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MJaneM
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear MJaneM

We are extremely pleased with your kind comments of your recent stay at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel. As you may know, so few people take the time to let the world travelers know when they are satisfied with the service at a hotel. Your review has been sent to all of our team so don´t be surprised if you get a few thank you letters from the employees, as they pride themselves in the quality of their work and love to hear from our guests.

I would like to apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced with the maid service and the absence of amenities such as shampoo, ice just for mentioned a few. Please accept my sincere apologies as I can appreciate that this was a serious disruption during your stay. We have immediately implemented methods to ensure that there are no further complaints.

Regarding to the water charge it’s because w we have a foundation to which we support poor children and all the money raised goes to these funds, but the decision to donate is open, it is for this reason that if you do not agree to this charge can be released from your account without any problem.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we can improve. It is important to us that we take the feedback given to us by our guests as a tool to improve so that we continue to exceed your expectations.

We look forward in welcoming you back to El Cid El Moro and remain at your entire disposal for any assistance you might require.

Sincerely
Alberta, Canada
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We were at El Cid Castilla Feb 9-16. We booked through Westjet and it was very easy! We were met just outside of security by Pronotours - the transfer to our hotel. He greeted us and walked us to the bus to avoid all the timeshare vendors! Perfect!! Loved that part! After a 45 min bus ride we were at our hotel. Porters came and took all our luggage. We booked the Elite Package so went to the Elite area and checked in. They greeted us with smiles and our first beverages!
We then went to go to our room. We were ocean view room 1516. Amazing views however being that high - the railings were not very high and I was scared the kids could tip over or fall through. Really not a good idea with toddlers to be that high. Maybe I'm over protective....
The pools are both wonderful and El Cid and El Moro. The waiters run around and give you drinks etc. We spent most of our time at the El Moro pool which is linked to the El Cid pool mostly because it had the waterslides and cliffs to jump off of for the kids! The best chairs around the pool were gone early in the morning with people using their pool towels to reserve early. We usually found one after a bit....I would suggest going early and reserving.
The rooms at El Cid - the beds are HARD!! Very, very hard! My husband had to get up at night and have a hot shower to fall back asleep again. That was the worse part of the hotel - and would probably affect whether I returned or not.
The restaurants - the food was good! Buffets were consistent. Omelette bars awesome in the morning at La Pergola in the lower level of Castilla. We loved the service there - especially ERIK - he was awesome and always was moving!! He had a great personality and got to know us and our children. We would always ask to sit in his section.
The buffets always had the same foods - there were different themes every night and so there would be a feature food. All good - never had any trouble. There was tons of fresh fruit which we enjoyed!
The A La Carte Restaurants -
Mexican - very good!! The Quesadillas are amazing - could have had just that
Italian - we did not enjoy this - the rib eye was very fatty and tough, potatoes not cooked
Sushi - great service! Ok Sushi - but I lived in Japan for a year so.....
La Patio Argentian Grill - Awesome food and atmosphere
Seafood at El Moro - awesome! Mixed Seafood Grill was amazing
We went on the City Tour of Mazatlan with Pronotours. It was well worth the $60 US for our family of four. Saw the cliff diver, Cathedral, Market. Lots of fun - but was more like 5 hours instead of 3 1/2.
We used - Frankie - that advertised at El Cid for the watersports. We paid $105 for Parasailing for 2 trips up - my son went alone at 10 and my daughter and I went together. It was awesome! Then we paid $100 for jet skiing. Two jet skis for half hour each. Wonderful time!
The beach vendors can be agressive but there are security guards at the entrance to the beach. If you just say "no thank you" they will leave you alone. If you show interest or money......they will hound you. If you walk down the streets from el cid and go to other toursit stores you will get a better deal.
All in all it was a wonderful family vacation. Would we go back.....probably not. There is more to explore than just one destination. If we went to Mazatlan again - I wouldn't go back to El Cid unless they upgraded the beds. That was the worst part of our trip.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms have beautiful views...but slow elevators - so pool view with option of stairs woul...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank CRybchuk
Dear CRybchuk

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review, your feedbacks and comments are very important for us this makes us work harder to please our guests.

I’m really happy to read that you had a great time at our resort, as you may already know we have a variety of different rooms, we have rooms on lower floors so you can feel more safe about your kids, safety this is important to us as well , we want you to feel safe and comfortable.

Regarding the beds, we have some mattress pads to make your beds softer, I'm concerned to hear that this inconvenience might be a reason you won’t return to Mazatlan, but please rest assured that this will not be a problem in a future stay.

We are very pleased to know that you enjoy the different restaurants that we have at the hotel; our staff put their best effort to serve you the way you deserve. About the theme nights we are having some changes at the menu and the shows so we are improving in different ways to provide the best service for you.

Our team is the most important part of the hotel without them this amazing service wouldn’t be possible! We are very proud to have people like Erik working with us!

It’s great that you guys enjoy the jet skies and parasailing they are always fun and different sports, also the city tour is a good way to discover Mazatlan. I really hope to receive you again, we will gladly assist you.

Warm regards,

Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed at El Cid Marina but went to restaurants at Castilla. El Alcazar was good, but lack consistencies – at times the food was great, other times I sent it back. Service was always great. Would not hesitate going back and we did.
La Pergola Dinner Theater is a place to avoid – The entertainment was free so I guess we got our monies worth. We went on Chinese night, but other than spring rolls and grossly over cooked noodles it was not much Chinese – desert trays were empty and had to wait – some food was cold – beef you had trouble chewing, but the pork was OK. It was a buffet, but I expect more from El Cid.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear wolf-lobo1,

Thank you for selecting El Cid Marina Beach resort for your recent vacation. We appreciate hearing that you dined at our Italian/Mediterranean restaurant, El Alcazar, on several occasions and found the service to be consistently great and that you also appreciated the entertainment at La Pergola.

It is disappointing to hear that the food served at La Pergola on our Asian theme night did not meet your expectations. We are always working to ensure that the quality and variety of food is to everyone’s liking, so please be assured that I will speak directly with the Food & Beverage Manager and the Executive Chef and share your comments with them so we can make immediate improvements to the Asian menu.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Mazatlan on a future visit.