1. “Andrea Giebel”, the friendly, “hands-on”, English-speaking owner.
2. Location (1/2 block to bus route, 2-1/2 blocks to Plaza Machado, 3-1/2 blocks to Plaza Republica, 4-1/2 blocks to Olas Altas, 6-1/2 blocks to Mercado).
3. Reasonably priced (about 175 USD per week for a studio apartment).
4. Beautiful courtyard and common areas, with small pool and two sheltered sundecks; 20-odd new or nearly new studio and two bedroom apartments.
5. Amenities (air conditioning, ceiling fan, kitchenette, kitchenware and utensils, dishware, dining table and chairs, sitting area, en suite bath with shower).
6. Cable TV and wifi included.
7. Quick response to maintenance/repair issues that arise, even on Sunday.
8. 50+, friendly, English-speaking clientele.
9. Quiet at night.
10. Community washer.
11. Two new, large fluffy towels per apartment (housekeeper will provide additional towels on request).
1. The common area tile floors are very slippery when wet; this is especially troublesome at the sloping section of the first floor (fortunately, it doesn’t rain much – do be very careful when it does).
2. The hot water supply to some apartments can be variable at times (we’ve noticed that propensity in third world accommodations).
3. There are no bath mats, washcloths or dish towels (ask for extra towels to use as a bathmat and/or dish towel, bring a washcloth if you use one).
4. The washer is cold water only, and retains the lint from the new towels, recycling it onto dark clothing (including that washed with no whites or lights); one hopes the lint will eventually become a non-issue as the towels age.
5. There is no dryer, all wash must be air dried, and that’s a slow process in cool weather (not normally a problem - this written during some of the coldest weather in years and years).
6. The tile floors are hard to keep clean (bring slippers or flip-flops for your room, to minimize “bare footing”).
7. Tile and masonry construction with no soundproofing means if there is noise, you’ll hear it.
8. Could use one size larger bedside lamp bulbs, and providing a (floor?) lamp at the sitting area would be a good thing.
9. Many of the first floor apartments do not get much daylight (ask for second or third floor, prepare for stairs).
Need To Know:
1. The community washer costs 150 pesos per stay, paid to the housekeeper.
2. A 5 gallon bottle of purified water is provided at a cost of 25 pesos, paid to the housekeeper.
3. The apartments are cleaned after being vacated; cleaning the apartment during your stay is extra, at a cost of 225 pesos or so, paid to the housekeeper each time.
4. Guests provide bath soap and toilet paper replacements (starters are provided; do remember to buy soap and – especially - TP early in your stay).
5. Preferred method of payment is cash (USD or perhaps Pesos – No CAD); there is a surcharge for credit cards.
DW and I believe the price/value is quite high here; the pluses far outweigh the minuses. We found it while scouting for places near the Plaza Machado (doncha love dinners there with the music in the background?) during our third trip to Mazatlan (June 2009), and have stayed here three times since; we’ll return in April. Thanks for everything, Andrea!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Villa Serena is a boutique apartment complex offering a delightful assortment of one/two/bedroom apartments. Most guests are long term renter with rents offered at weekly and monthly fees. However, the apartments are available for nightly rentals as well. Apartments are considered fully furnished with basic kitchen amenities including sink, fridge and stove. Villa Serena Apartments are located in the Centro Historic district two blocks from Plazuela Machado and four blocks from Olas Altas beach. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Villa Serena Apartments reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.