All reviewsturtle sanctuaryrobert trent jonespiece of paradisebedroom condostone islandprivate beachfull kitchenper dayedmshuttleoceanresortvacationgolfingvictortennisappliances
Reviewed August 2, 2017 via mobile

I was nervous about staying here after reading some reviews, but the condo we were assigned in the Phase 3 building was really nice! We needed a place to stay for just one night near the airport and Estrella del Mar was perfect. The resort is less than 15 mins from the airport, there really is nothing else around but Stone Island is down the road another 20 mins. Good thing for google maps and signs pointing us in the right direction, it felt like we were going nowhere. Then you suddenly come upon the resort and once past the gated entry, it's all green (golf course). Check in was relatively easy except for a several page rules form that needed to be read and initialed. Good thing there was an copy in English available! We then drove to our building, parked the car in the underground parking area (plentiful spaces) and took the elevator to our condo on the 3rd floor. The front looked out to the turtle sanctuary and the back looked out to the pool and beach...pretty awesome! Beautiful scenery and sunset. This was a 2 bedroom condo. There was one king bed with full bathroom including a deep bath tub. Second bedroom had 2 double beds with full bathroom. Nice toiletries. There was half a bath near the entry as well as a washer/dryer closet. Full kitchen, dining table and spacious living room. The AC worked good. The pictures on the website are accurate. This place can be great if you want to do nothing but go to the pool and beach and just be with loved ones. Of course there's golf and tennis. I found myself wishing for a longer stay. The restaurant near the check in area was good, service was fine. The panaderia had some delicious breads in the morning and the baker was rightly very proud of his creations. We did get eaten up by mosquitos just walking from the car to the restaurant, so bug spray might be a good idea...overall, I am happy to report that Estrella del Mar exceeded my expectations!

Stayed: July 2017, traveled with family
1  Thank sfgogirl
Reviewed July 18, 2017

I just got back from a visit to Estrella del Mar in Mazatlan, Mexico with my husband and we had an incredible time. Though Estrella del Mar is conveniently located just 10 minutes from the Mazatlan airport, it is about 20-30 minutes from the tourist section of Mazatlan, the Golden Zone. by car or taxi. We loved that it’s located off the beaten track. The resort has its own over three and a half miles of secluded beach and it felt like my husband and I had it all to ourselves. The great thing about Estrella del Mar is you can have your own private paradise but whenever you want more action, it’s easy to get into town. In fact, forget a taxi and car. There is a beautiful new road that runs from Estrella del Mar to Stone Island, and it takes only 10 minutes to get there. Aside from being a great local beach where you can go horseback riding, boogie boarding and surfing and enjoy great local seafood and live music, there is a ferry boat there that runs from Stone Island to town. The ferry is mostly locals and it costs only 30 pesos roundtrip. (it was 20 peso to the US dollar when we were there). Once in town from the ferry, you can grab a pulmonia (local open-air taxi) and be in Historic downtown in 5 minutes. Our favorite restaurant in historic downtown is Pedros & Lolas and the Pedro and Lola shrimp special is my husband’s all-time favorite dish. There are also several new restaurants that we tried that were outstanding as well and the live jam session at the funky La Bohemian is a great spot to cap off a night. Mazatlan is one of the few Mexico cities with such an expansive, vibrant, historic area with art galleries, book stores, restaurants and bars. It’s fun to just walk around there at night and listen to live music. A day trip that you’ll want to take that the friendly resort staff arranged for us was to the town of El Quilete, a picturesque, colorful colonial town, just a short 40 minute drive north of Mazatlan. We had breakfast/lunch at El Meson de Los Laureanos and it was insanely magnificent. The owner is very friendly and the story of how he led the renaissance of the town is inspiring. And the coffee was the most delicious I’ve ever tasted and I love coffee. Anyway, to wrap things up, my husband and I we’re looking for a getaway where we could escape the daily stresses of our lives, and Estrella del Mar was the answer for us. Mazatlan is so affordable and Estrella del Mar is also a great value, so we will be going back again, whenever we can escape again.

Room Tip: we were in 208 and loved it...awesome view of ocean and sunset
  • Stayed: June 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank alohalizgold
Management response:Responded July 20, 2017

Hola Ms. Gold. Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experiences from your stay at Estrella del Mar in Mazatlan, Mexico. All of our associates enjoyed hosting you and your husband and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed April 27, 2017

Our trip there was horrible. Got ripped off by the front desk staff on refunding my credit card $200 usd.multiple request to be repaid<even though i have a receipt from edm > showing they owe me $3300 pesos. Huberto the manager has promised me a refund that day< but they refuse to give me back my money> pathetic >>> refund was because the beds were hard as rock>had to take cushions off the couches just so we could sleep. No cooking utentsils in the beautiful condo with incredible kitchen we could not use> got put up in a hotel room for last 2 nights>hence a gorgeous golf course location< however no fresh holes cut on the greens in weeks> beat up destroyed holes to putt into> robert trent jones would die that his name is on such a poorly maintained course.. Once again< credit my mastercard< you liars...

Room Tip: Rooms have Hard as Rock Beds. Walmart sells better Mattresses
  • Stayed: March 2017, traveled with family
3  Thank Dave T
Reviewed April 11, 2017

Safe to say this has been the most complicated and just the worst experience in a "resort" ever. I'm in the travel industry, and I know the difference between the star ratings and that you cannot compare a 4/5 star resort in Mexico vs a 4/5 star resort in the US or Europe. But this resort is a questionable 3/4 star room/installation, with worst than a 1 star service.

I say complicated, because everything is a hassle. We stayed at the hotel, had breakfast every day at the restaurant. To get a cup of coffee was a battle. If I asked for coffee, the waiter took about 10 to 15 minutes and just served me coffee and never once asked anyone sitting with me if they wanted coffee or needed anything.
If I wanted to got the the "Club the Golf" wait another 30 min to get a transfer etc etc

Location: In the middle of nowhere. If you request a transfer to the city, expect to wait 30 to 40 min.

Kitchen: Closes at 9pm with no room service after hours. You better bring snacks.

Bar: Very very unprepared and unfriendly staff. Since they are untrained, most likely under paid and overworked, they complain to the customer. Completely unacceptable.

Sushi Bar: Again horrible customer service. We waited more than 2 hrs for our order.

Spa: Good. Not the best spa in the world, but my massage was relaxing.

Golf: I would only recommend this resort if you live, breath and eat Golf, and have played in every single other Golf course in the world and this is the only golf course left on your bucket list.

I would never ever send a client to this location.

Room Tip: ocean view
  • Stayed: April 2017, traveled with family
Reviewed April 7, 2017 via mobile

Overbooked. Several couples had prepaid stays and there reservations were not kept. They were turned away. Closest hotel is 20 mins away. Another guest was asigned a room. When he walked into his room it was already occupied by a third party.
Restaurant had extremely slow service. They just arent prepared.
The place is nice, the golf course is great but I would not return. They really need to get there act together. Too bad.

Stayed: April 2017, traveled with friends