All reviewsturtle sanctuaryrobert trent jonespiece of paradisebedroom condostone islandprivate beachfull kitchenper dayedmshuttleoceanresortvacationgolfingvictortennisappliances
Reviewed April 9, 2011

Our family spent a week in one of the phase 1 condos and could not have had a better time. First and foremost the staff throughout the resort was awesome. . . so friendly and helpful. The resort is only 10 minutes from the airport. We were in our room 45 minutes after landing (with customs). From Colorado, I don't think you can be at a Mexican beach resort any quicker or more conveniently. We had a 2 bedroom condo on the ground floor just steps from a spacious, beautiful infinity pool. 20 yards from there was our own private beach. Excellent sand castle making sand and perfect waves for boogie-boarding. The condo set up was perfect for our family of 5 (kids aged 13, 9, and 7). Having breakfast and lunch in the condo allowed us to enjoy the pool and beach more but we couldn't resist going to the restaurants for our dinners. The food was top quality and again, interacting with the staff was a true pleasure.
Activities I recommend:
- Definitely golf as the Robert Trent Jones course is kept in immaculate condition and there are multiple holes that go right up to the beach.
- Go into the small town of Villa Union for the market and dinner at Cuchapettas (sp). Awesome fish.
- Stone Island on a Sunday. . . excellent beach bars for lunch and people watching.
- Turtle preserve. . . . this is actually on the resort itself. Make sure you spend some time with the curator there, she explained everything they do and how many sea turtles they are saving each year. Nice to know a resort like this is in tune with the local wildlife.
- Check out all the iquanas sunning themselves on the stone walls.
- Great beach jogging.
- Make sure you are sitting by the pool or on the beach at as many sunsets as possible. Or my favorite. . . . on the porch at the clubhouse restaurant with one of their margaritas in hand. And I emphasize the margaritas!

If you are looking for a super relaxing, very easy getaway, I highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Michael10thstreet
Reviewed March 28, 2011

Everything was top notch. The rooms are very comfortable, clean and a great size. Our room was overlooking the beach, which was spectacular. The food and service was great at all the outlets.
We enjoyed lovely walks on the very private beach, and the turtle preserve.
I would highly recommend this hotel to everyone, and especially for golfers, as the course is wonderful.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 19, 2011

We stayed in the hotel here for a week and enjoyed the peacefulness of the resort with it's long private beach and golf course. The staff throughout the resort were courteous and helpful. One drawback for us was that it's a 45 min taxi ride to the city each way if you want to go sightseeing, shopping, or try different restaurants. Lastly, the bathroom in our room had a really bad smell the entire week - not sure what that was about.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 19, 2011

I came to Estrella for a break away from the stress, the cold, the sheer length of the British winter. I found peace, a lovely apartment, fantastic pool with horizon view out to sea, dolphins swimming only a few hundred yards off shore, palm trees to provide shade in the heat of the day, a gorgeous sunset in the early evening and a picturesque golf course for those who are into hitting gutta percha. In addition, an amazing turtle sanctuary which harvests the eggs laid in the sand, nurses the babies and, when they're strong enough, releases them into the sea - magical. All it lacks is a better-equipped on-site shop for the self-catering apartments and a credit card/phonecard phone at the hotel for people whose cells don't work.
It's great for the airport (15 mins from Mazatlan) but a longer drive into the town.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed January 15, 2011

This hotel is a real gem and being brand new it will take a little time to get a following and reputation, but for me and my family it deserves just that.

We knew about it from having previously stayed in the wonderful condominium complex of Estrella Del Mar which forms part of the same resort, and while the hotel is effectively a separate entity, it shares the same fabulous location: right on the beach, adjoining a marvelous 18-hole golf course and within a private gated community.

In fact, I think it’s the location that makes it so special, so unique and the perfect place to unwind from the stresses and strains of work and all the reasons for wanting a beach vacation. That’s because instead of butting up against other hotels, this hotel and resort command 3½ miles of effectively private beachfront. No competing for sand space, interference from beach vendors or hordes of tourists and the beach itself is pristine. It literally feels like your own piece of paradise, and I think you have to walk something like 8 miles along the beach to come across the next civilization!

The hotel itself has about 70 rooms, with either a garden view or ocean view (ocean “front” being the best). We did ask to have a sneak peek inside one of the Presidential suites which looked absolutely wonderful. It’s classified as 3½ star, which is probably erring on the conservative side but the fact that it’s brand new and has so much to offer, I think people will be perfectly content. I loved the courtyard layout with the fountain in the middle – very classical. And everywhere you go, the staff is polite, smiling and very friendly. This is an often overlooked aspect of many hotel establishments, but for us makes a real difference, and especially as they went out of their way to make our daughter feel special.

As far as amenities go, one of the main attractions is the golf course. My husband played it as many times as I let him and he says it’s an absolute belter, whatever that is. Within the hotel there is a wonderful spa and workout facility and I can vouch for the quality of the deep tissue massage – simply the best I’ve had anywhere. We didn’t try it, but there’s horseback riding on the beach and tennis courts beside the hotel. Our preference though is the pool and hot-tubs (as well one for the kids) and just plain, good old-fashioned, sunbathing and relaxation. Vegetating might be an appropriate description.

The Hotel also has a first-rate restaurant and bar called Los Delfines, and we were lucky enough to be there on opening night. The place was absolutely buzzing, and it was even “blessed” – if that’s the right word – by the local religious dignitary during the evening. The menu choices were extensive, the food superb and the service exceptional. They even had live music and dancing the whole evening, and while I recognize this was a one-off, it did make for a very special occasion.

Because the hotel is only a 10 minute shuttle from the airport, you can literally be on your balcony enjoying a cold beer less than an hour after touching down and going through all the immigration and customs formalities. The town of Mazatlan is about a 25 minute drive away, and we did venture in a couple of times for a change of pace and dinner in the historic town square.

I think Las Villas Hotel is great for couples and families wanting a safe, peaceful and relaxing environment in which to enjoy the beach, pool and ocean but still have enough things to do on-site as well as be in easy reach of downtown. We loved our sunset ritual of a swim, hot-tub and a cocktail, always looked forward to the next day and already looking forward to our next visit.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family