“Best "Gold Zone" place to stay”

The Palms Resort Of Mazatlan
Ranked #18 of 80 Hotels in Mazatlan
Reviewed January 24, 2013

This Hotel is located within the Gold Zone, where all the action is. Most Condo's in Mazatlan are in remote locations and require a car or taxi to go to shops and restaurants. This Hotel is located right on the beach with a beautiful infinity pool overlooking the Pacific. It's priced right with good food and drinks.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank totallyexcellentvac

Reviewed January 2, 2013

We loved The Palms! The hotel is very nice and clean, with a really friendly staff. We often ate at other restaurants around Mazatlan, but the oasis restaurant on property is very good!! We loved all of the bartenders and loved just lounging out on the beach or by the pool. The hotel is also walking distance from many restaurants and shops. Overall, great experience!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Kimberly H
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I was planning on staying w/a friend at her condo and a last minute change of plans put me in the Palms Resort for 10 fabulous nights. I was by myself and felt very safe. The young staff at the reception were so accommodating considering my Spanish was horrible. Mexican eggs on the patio dinning room was less than $7.00 and Margaritas during happy hour at the pool from 4pm to 7pm were less than $3.00. The wait staff was friendly and efficient. My room had firm and soft pillows that were marked. The kitchenette had a micro wave, small fridge, coffe pot and sink w/a few dishes. Only thing missing was the wine glasses. I was able to purchase bottled drinking water at a reasonable price at the small store. During the Mazatlan Marathon the hotel filled with interesting people including a very well behaved teen group. You can walk the beach in front of the hotel for miles each direction.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 6th floor facing the ocean; it is right at palm tree level, so make sure you can see...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Cindy B
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I really like staying here. It used to be the Holiday Inn Sunspree. Name changed sometime in the late summer or early fall. Most of the same staff is there. They are doing some upgrading but it is not intrusive. This is not a busy hotel and that works for me. I love lying by the pool or under one of that thatched palapas (spelling) and relaxing, reading and enjoying the sea breezes. I always opt for an ocean view room. The sound of the surf is wonderful. Yes, the beds are hard as rocks but that works for me. The rooms are of good size. Stone floors do make the sound carry though. There are just two restaurants; one inside for breakfast with patio seating available and then from lunch time to around ten at night, the outdoor Oasis which is right on the beach. Perfect place to have a beverage as you watch the sunset. If you want a quiet day by the pool or beach this is the place. Oh, sure they do have the occaisional birthday party or convention, but they don't last all day.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank jpm2107
Reviewed June 23, 2012

We only stayed one night at this hotel in Mazatlan as we were traveling to another area in Mexico, however we greatly enjoyed it! Wonderful infinity pool, part of which wrapped around a portion of the restaurant and had a swim up bar, also. Right on the beach overlooking the ocean. No hot tub, but I think it would have been too hot to sit in one. Very nice staff, although not many of them spoke very much English. Limited food selection at the restaurant and room service but what they did have was very good. Private balcony with chairs and a table was nice to sit out on in the evening, if you can handle the humidity and heat. Fridge in the room, but no microwave. Dehumidifier in room, also. Huge tiled shower was very nice. The only complaint would be that the floors did not appear to have been cleaned very well between guests as there was dirt and stains on them. I would definitely come back, though, to experience this place more.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Wats25
Reviewed June 23, 2012

I am just getting around to writing a review. We stayed at this hotel in June 2011. Why write a review now. Well we just came back from a trip and we had many hotel problems, kept comparing last years trip to the one this year. So now I write to say why I loved it.

1. We started off badly, They lost our reservation, it took them an hour to find it, but once they did we never looked back.
2. Most of the staff speak excellent English, The guys at the bar were totally awesome. I'm not a drinker, so when I noticed the kids getting ice cream in the afternoon, I asked for it. Everday after that when we came down to the pool in the afternoon the bar staff asked if I wanted ice cream and remembered the exact flavor too. Awesome service.
3.The hotel does not have much of a beach, but what there is can be used for swimming. The pool is actually part of the beach. In the evenings the waves crash upon it.
4. FOOD- We love local food when we travel, so we always ate breakfast at a little place about 1/2 mile walk down the beach. However, for dinner most nights we ate in the hotel at the rest. over looking the ocean. The prices were very reasonable (cheap), and included many local dishes.
5. Safety- We felt very safe. Eventhough we were warned a head of time to watch out for scams and unsafe conditions we ventured out to shop. We took a bus to the Walmart and got a little lost. We Always felt safe at the hotel. Plan your way to the hotel from the airport before you arrive. The hotel is far away from the Airport. It will save you time, agravation, and lots of money.
6. Resorts- We wanted to travel a little. This hotel is not a BIG resort. Several are located in the same strip. We actually were advised by the hotel staff to visit one of the larger resorts to pick up travel itineraries. We went on a party boat to visit deer island with one of the resorts. Had a great time.
7. The room was awesome, Loved it. We did not have an ocean view, but stil would recommend to every traveler.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the ocean are best. The others all face construction.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Leah E
Reviewed June 22, 2012

Nice hotel, close to the strip main street good place to enjoy a short vacation. I will recommend this to my friend and family.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family