“Best hotel I've ever stayed at”

Hotel Sands Las Arenas
Ranked #52 of 78 Hotels in Mazatlan
Burnaby, Canada
“Best hotel I've ever stayed at”
Reviewed March 6, 2012

My family and I have been visiting mazatlan almost ever year since 1999 and we have always stayed at this hotel. the staff is so warm and welcoming and we have become friends with many of them as well as the other guests there. We have made friends with so many wonder people from all over the world. We could stay at other places but we would truly miss the friendships you make there. The hotel is locateded in a perfect location between old town and the gold zone but is a bit closer to the gold zone. The beach is located right across the road and because it is not right in the gold zone you don't have as many venders bothering you. My uncle and my fathers ashes were both spread in the ocean here and the hotel was so supportive and helped us so much as well as many of the staff members came with us on the boat to spread my fathers ashes as well as helped us by booking the boat for us.

You can view the video at http://gomazatlan.com/Mexico/Mazatlan/Media-Center/Video-Gallery.html#inicia_video and click the link Dave Freemantle in Mazatlan forever.

It was a wonderful day thanks to the love and support from our wonderful friends

Room Tip: I would say main floor but if you want a nice view then higher floor would be good for you
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank JeniferFreemantle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
oregon
Reviewed September 13, 2007

My family and I stayed at this hotel for 5 days as we were having a sort of family reunion vacation. We had 3 rooms total and the staff were very friendly. The rooms were very clean and the pool was great, I couldn't keep the kids out of it. Nice patio area by the pool to just relax. Right across the street from the Ocean and not noisy like at the golden zone. I would highly recommed this place to anyone traveling on a budget.

• Liked — cleanliness and easy access and parking
  • Disliked — AC not working properly but did not need it cause we had the ocean breeze
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank bjaime
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed September 16, 2006

Comfortable hotel along the main drag. Good sized pool which the million kids used at all times. The decent A/C sure was a relief from the horrible sun, heat, and humidity during my stay. My room had a balcony--like most that have a view of the ocean. 800 pesos per night was a little steeper than other hotels in the near vicinity. Green Sabalo bus goes to the area where the night action takes place & also where I went parasailing (at my own risk) and later borrowed the life jacket to go into the strong currents of the ocean. The restaurant connected to the hotel's lobby had good breakfasts, "OK" lunches & dinners. Next time I go to Mazatlan (which WON'T be in or near July), I'll look for a cheaper alternative to this pricey but comfortable hotel.

• Liked — Very easy to reserve room via the hotel's website & email communication
  • Disliked — Too pricey, pool wasn't the most cleanest/inviting place to cool off
  • Tips/Secrets — July's heat & humidity were near unbearable!!
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
3 Thank funnychap24
victoria canada
Reviewed November 14, 2005

my family ie my brother and i love the sands and wontstay anywhere else my brother passed away a few years ago and wanted his ashes spread there. the hotel was great to my family then and till present.welove it there.

• Stayed February 2005
6 Thank maha2
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 21, 2005

This quaint hotel is nothing fancy. Friendly staff, clean rooms and a pool that's cleaned daily is what has brought us to this hotel time and time again. Great ocean views and within walking distance of Senor Frogs (you can get wasted and not have to worry about driving), the aquarium and the Plaza Ley supermarket. We have been staying at Sands Hotel for the past 20 years and will keep staying there. The restaurant has had several owners some good and some bad. However this is a nice hotel for the money.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member