“Great hotel with great staff!” 4 of 5 stars

Emporio Mazatlan
Ranked #10 of 80 Hotels in Mazatlan
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Mpls MN
“Great hotel with great staff!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2009

A friend and i visited Mazatlan for the first time for a week Jan 31-Feb 7, 2009. I have been to Mexico many times, but enjoyed this first visit to the city. :et me first say that I have read many many of the other reviews about this hotel prior to my stay and i did take the advise of others with regards to earplugs (but as a side note the night club, during non-spring break weeks, is only open friday and saturday nights. So you will need your earplugs those nights, but no others). So here is a lowdown of the good and bad of the Emporio as well as Mazatlan.
The good: The Emporio was excpetional, the staff was outstanding at all times and very friendly. only a few spoke english, so please be patient, they are very nice and genuine people (I have an advantage of speaking spanish so that works in my favor). The pools were very nice, but rarely used as they are not heated and very cold in the "winter" months. the hot tub was great and acutally hot! I did not eat at the hotel, but spoke with several guests who ate their every morning and loved it! The rooms were very clean and done so in a very quick manner. I always left some candies and a few singles for the maids. The beach was great and the security did an amazing job of ensuring that the local kids/teens did not disturb the guests or sit in the "hotel guests' chairs. We ventured off every morning for a stroll along the Malecon, and it was beautiful! Check it out, and the view is free! We ate breakfast about two blocks away at a quaint place called Playa Bonita (across the street from the Ramada), the waiter, jorge, was always welcoming and waiting for us. the food was perfect (taste and price ($4.50 for breakfast including juice and coffee). i would highly recommend checking it out! it is only open for breakfast. We also ate at Tony's on the beach, near the Marina, several times. The portions are very large and the food was excellent and priced very resonably (under $10 for a dinner/per person). Also, there are fruit vendors on the beach i would highly recommend this for an afternoon snack. the best fruit we bought was from a gentleman wearing a red baseball cap (I never caught his name).
The bad: While at the Emporio the warm water was hit or miss for showers, especially in the afternoon. But that is the only complaint I have about the property.

Mazatlan itself is a beautiful city, if you keep and open mind and don't mind a little trash or exhaust/dust. The people as wonderful and embrace tourists. i had a very lenghtly conversation with a beach vendor and he indicated that tourism is down, painfully low. It is about 40% less than what it was one year ago (this was very vivid when looking down the beach at 3pm and only a few people were walking the sand) although it is not advertised as such. So please, shop with the vendors and if you have a little extra money spend with them, you will find a much better deal than you would in a store! By doing this you are supporting another economy and someones family at the same time.

• Liked — The staff and the view
  • Disliked — Inconsistent shower-water temps.
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
4 Thank pnutsmommyMN
EmporioMazatlan, General Director at Emporio Mazatlan, responded to this review, April 14, 2010
We appreciate all your comments. We are really satisfied that your stay we us was great, we hope to have you again as our guest soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Leduc, Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2009

I stayed at the Emporio for 3 nights at the end of Jan.'08, and loved it! It was my first trip to Mexico, and my first time travelling alone, so I was a little nervous. The staff at the Emporio did wonders for allaying any fears I had about being a SWF traveller, and helped me out in anyway they could with whatever I needed. (Although the staff are considered bilingual, it helps to know some basic Spanish~ you put in the effort to communicate with people in their own language, they're going to treat you better!)

When doing research for places to stay, I chose this hotel for a number of reasons:
1. Almost every room has a HUGE balcony over-looking the central courtyard and pools, with a fantastic view of the ocean. (I refuse to travel from -50*C Canada to stay somewhere that does NOT offer a room with an ocean-view balcony~ Call me a Princess! I don't care~ I'm not doing it!!!)

2. Most of the people who stay here are local people, especially families with young children = Excellent, laid-back atmosphere! And you know what? That also means a fantastic opportunity to dust off ye 'old spanglish dictionary! :)

3. The location of the hotel is superb~ right at the beginning of the tourist zone, within easy walking distance to some excellent restaurants.

4. It's on a beach~ 'nuff said.

I did not opt for the all-inclusive package, and am so glad I didn't~ There are so many wonderful restaurants nearby, it would be a shame to miss any of them. I did partake of the breakfast buffet at the hotel every morning, which I found to be wonderful, but I'll admit, I was stuck on the made-to-order omelettes and fresh fruit with fresh baked pastries and juice and coffee ~ I wasn't all that adventurous. (The coffee puts Tim Horton's to shame; I feel traitorous saying that, but it's true.)

The beach bar also serves up some [----] drinks, all made with purified ice, which is considerate of them. In typical Canuck fashion, I usually stuck with whatever strongest beer they had.

The rooms aren't huge, but more than adequate~ I've stayed at 4**** hotels that weren't as nice. I ended up staying in #417 and #309. (The phone didn't work in 417, so they moved me the next day~ no problems! #309 has got one of the bigger balconies on the property!!!) The beds~ MY GOD, IT WAS COMFORTABLE!!! Shocked and pleased by that one, I was expecting near-plywood-pillowtop. I think that was the best part of the room~ that, and the huge ocean-view balcony of course. It was big enough, that I had enough room to lay out my Yoga mat, plus leave the patio table and 2 chairs set up. (yes, I brought my Yoga mat all the way to Mexico~ took up valuable luggage space too, dammit.)

The bathrooms are very basic, but they're CLEAN, with CLEAN towels, toilet paper is provided right next to the toilet that flushes, and the hot water works in the shower, which is really all a person needs. The hotel supplies the guests with complementary toiletries, which is a nice touch, and provides a free bottle of water upon arrival.

To get more bottled water, you can pay what the hotel charges, or you can walk North down the main street to a pharmacy, about 2-3 blocks away, and pick up your bottled water for about half the cost. Also, pick up a phone card to use the phones in the lower area of the lobby~cheaper than placing collect calls home and way cheaper than dialling direct from the room.

The only thing I did not foresee and can understand people's frustrations over is the noise level at night, but obviously, no one has any control over that. Mexican architecture being what it is, I don't think insulation is used at all, if ever. Combine that with the fact that every single door to all the rooms are on the outside closest to the street~ a very VERY busy street that is one of the main traffic arteries through town in fact. And then you've got a nightclub/bar not even a 1/2 block away to the North pumping out the bass at a consistently deafening level. Both of the rooms I had were on the North side of the building = NOISY!; the East side is right over the street; the South would be the best bet, I would think. The closer you can get to the beach, the more the sound of the waves will drown out the traffic and the bar. Earplugs work well, I was fortunate to have brought them. Those that don't bring them~ good luck sleeping!

Overall, I had a fantastic time in a beautiful place. I would definitely consider returning to the Emporio, no question. Heck, I'll even bring my husband next time! :)

• Liked — Beachfront, Oceanview room with huge balcony, comfortable beds
  • Disliked — street noise at night
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Yolayna
Revenue M, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Emporio Mazatlan, responded to this review, March 16, 2012
San diego ca
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2008

Very noisy !!! Hard to sleep with music from accross the street.... View of ocean is good from most rooms.

• Liked — View
  • Disliked — Nosy
  • Stayed November 2008
1 Thank gonerunning1
EmporioMazatlan, General Directo at Emporio Mazatlan, responded to this review, April 14, 2010
We appreciate all your comments. We are working to be better everyday and now we can offer a renewed hotel.

We hope to see as our guest again soon.
Gmail.com
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2008

Easy check in, very nice room, very good food, exceptional staff, nice beach, nice front space.. Are repeating this November. Take earplugs for disco a few doors down.

• Liked — Helpful, english speaking, friendly staff.
  • Disliked — Disco to wee hours.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DanGmail_com
We appreciate all your comments. We are really satisfied that your stay with us was great and we hope to see you in Emporio Mazatlan soon
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2008

My girlfriend and I arrived at the Playa Mazatlan at 3:00 p.m. February 13 and were immediately checked in to our room, which was overlooking the ocean and the dinning room. Our room was very clean, we had all the features of a four or five start hotel (which I have stayed in) maybe not as rich but comfortable. We went the All-inclusive the meals were great, we never had to go to the buffet we could order off the menu (which I much prefer), and the food was very good. The three heated pools were a blessing to me, as I don't care for the ocean that much. But there were lots of people boogie boarding every day as the waves were perfect for that. I found the beds quite comfortable.
We did have a leak in our air conditioner but the people were there to clean it up before we got back from breakfast.
All in all I would go back again (in fact I hope to go back next year)
My only complaint was with Signature Tours who we were with, we never saw an agent from the time we got off the bus till we got back on two weeks later. Also I had paid for prior seating and had it on the way down but on the way back they had changed our seating. Also having to fly 7 1/2 hours on the way down to Port Vallarta and then fly back to Mazatlan was very unnessary.

Stayed February 2008
2 Thank Cheales
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2007

We arrived Nov. 29, 2007 and left-with such sorrow!-on Dec. 5. We had a glorious room (#305) right on the ocean (it seemed we were right "on top"). The sound of the surf was fantastic, the hotel so very pretty and comfortable, grand views, bouganvillia, three pools, super palapa bar and restaurant on the beach, music, great service, happy hourS, plus great location!...just too much to tell. Would love to return and hopefully get room #300, a studio with dining area and fabulous balcony. Loved every minute of our stay!

2 Thank Ruselito
ecommerceMazatlan, Manager at Emporio Mazatlan, responded to this review, June 11, 2008
Thank you for your review and we are glad that most of your stay you were satisfied.

We are really thankful for your opinion about Emporio Mazatlan Hotel.

We hope you back very soon.
Edmonton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2007

This was our second trip to Mazatlan and our first stay at the Emporio. We booked this hotel because there was to be no buffet, well that was all we got, our son had stayed here last year and told us each meal he had he was able to order off a menu, after checking with our travel agent we found out this was true, our main reason for booking it, disappointment #1. #2 was that there was no elevator at the far end of the hotel so each time we wanted to go to our room it was a walk up the stairs. #3 I woke up early one day to have a shower and went to our suit cases (which we left on the extra bed ) I noticed this big brown clump on the bed, I then turned on the light to discover it was rat feces, it made me sick to realize that rats were crawling around in the room. The maid cleaned it and they stripped our room right away and sprayed for rats. Other than that must say we enjoyed the stay, we found we only got good treatment if you tipped, and tips were to be included with our all inclusive. All in all the staff were friendly and helpful, location was great and sunshine was marvelous. Enjoy your stay.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Food service
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Kaaanuk
We are very sorry to hear about the troubles you went through during your stay.

Our commitment is to serve all our guests and provide the most satisfying accomodations for you to enjoy your trip.

We already fixed details on the rooms mentioned and we really desire you come back and give us another chance.

On behalf of the hotel staff receive a warm greeting.

We hope you back soon.