New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Costa de Oro Beach Hotel

Costa de Oro Beach Hotel
Ranked #24 of 80 Hotels in Mazatlan
Emerson, Manitoba
“The added touch of service with excellent location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

The Costa is years old now and not a 5 Start rating... but its still excels in what many places don't offer.. SERVICE with a smile.. and happy your staying with them. Unlike some other hotels who discriminate against hosting my Mexican friends.... the Costa doesnt mind if friends join you around the pool for happy hour. The pool bar waiters are veterans and work their tails off and know your drink as soon as you walk in the pool area. The view is gorgeous off the west facing balconies.. Nice beach access. Has small shops in the hotel.. bank across the street.. restaurants all close. Why stay miles away and have to pulmonia everywhere. Its modestly priced and worth checking out.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Wayne A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stayed in a suite with a kitchenette. Even though we didn't cook anything is was nice to have a table and a refrigerator and a coffee maker. The view from the balconly was breathtaking. I liked the decor of the premise but I did not explore the whole property. The staff was exceptionally polite and helpful. Only one complaint. I saw a roach on a towel in the room. I don't know if it was alive, but it wasn't moving. I swatted it anyway. Only complaint.

Room Tip: The one bedroom suite with kitchenette was very spacious and comfortable with a dynamite view. I wo...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

From the moment we stepped into the airport we enjoyed our trip to Mazatlan. Javier from the Costa de Oro and Prono tours greeted us and was attentive throughout our stay. He suggested a time share presentation at the El Cid, Which gave us 3 free tours and an evening at a Mexican Fiesta. Time share presentation was not pushy. The Stone Island Tour was my favourite! The room was basic, but clean, comfortable and we had a lovely view of the ocean from our balcony. The staff were attentive, and we lacked for nothing. We liked the daily happy hour by the pool, the restaurant, spa, and easy access to the ocean. Next time I will book through RCI and stay in the spacious tower rooms. I looked at the other hotels nearby, but the atmosphere at the Costa de Oro really sets it apart from the nicer hotels. I will definitely return there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a ocean view room, # 360 or 460, best views. If using time share, ask for ocean view. The hi...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Marion O
Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I, along with friends and family sometimes, have been coming to Mexico since 1986. This time we went to Mazatlan, Mexico with friends and stayed in the timeshare area of Costa De Oro from the end of August thru early September 2012. It was very quiet, not tourist season but it was very enjoyable and relaxing. All the staff was very attentive to our needs, from the front desk clerks, the maids, the wait staff to the bartenders. We didn't want for anything. It was hard to leave at the end of the week but we will be back again next year.

Room Tip: We like the older timeshare area right on the beach - 5th or 6th floor
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Colleen S
Victorville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

This is our third trip to Mazatlan and our first stay in Costa De Oro, it was amazing. All the staff was super nice and friendly. Our room was really clean and unlike other people who have commented, we didn't see one single cockroach. The beds were comfortable and I'd definetly stay there again.

Room Tip: Our suite (Suite Paola) on the 6th floor with oceanview was great!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Sprite55
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

Costa de Oro was the first place we stayed when we started going to Mazatlan in 1999. We had such a great time, we bought a timeshare here, although lately we have been donating it to charity auctions for their use since we like to stay at Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay.

Costa de Oro is in the heart of the Golden Zone, where all the action is and consequently so is the noise. The timeshare units, while very nice, are directly across the street from Gus Gus and they do like to play their loud music late into the night which makes it hard for us to sleep.

I don't remember the beds being very comfortable [they are very hard] but for some that isn't a problem. We have generally enjoyed our stays at Costa in the past and have great memories.

Areas we enjoyed: being within walking distance to restaurants and shopping. We liked the swimming pool and being able to order food & drinks at the pool. The view of the ocean from our balcony was perfect.

Areas we didn't enjoy so much: relentless beach vendors, relentless Costa staff trying to get you to attend a timeshare presentation. The on site restaurant, not so good.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank lanningslee
Scottsdale, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

I've been going to Mazatlan since 1984 and have spent each time at the Costa. Everyone there has been wonderful to me. The hotel is beautiful. If you have a funny smell from your water, you should smell the water in AZ. I have been brushing my teeth with the tap water for all those years and showering in it and not a thing has happened to me. I just don't drink it. Also, there is free water in jugs all over the hallways of the hotel. Just take your little pitcher from the room and fill it up. You don't have to buy it. If you don't feel the front desk is trustworthy with jewelry..ask me. I had an accident, they took all my rings, necklaces and diamond studs off me before they took me to the hospital. When I got out they were all there. Now who else would do that for you?! This hotel is just amazing. The people are my friends. AND I miss them terribly. I'm not afraid to go there, it's just my money matters aren't the same as they were a few years ago. Trust these people..ALL OF THEM. From the restaurant to the pool bar to the front desk to the maids. They are all great people.

Room Tip: who sleeps?? Fitness Center.. didn't know they had one. LOL
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Mazatlanlb
CostaMargaritas, e-Commerce Manager at Costa de Oro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, June 8, 2012
Dear valued guest (Mazatlanlb),

We at the Costa de Oro Beach Hotel wanted to take the time to thank you for taking the time to make such a wonderful post about our Hotel and your loyalty to our brand and port. We would be happy to hear that we will be able to serve you soon; please do not hesitate to contact us directly if We can assist you in any service.

Best Wishes, Safe and Happy Travels,