“Great food, great salsa!”
Review of Oceano Palace

Oceano Palace
Ranked #42 of 80 Hotels in Mazatlan
Reviewed October 26, 2011

This hotel was average. I thought it was closer to the golden zone but it is a long walk to the golden zone. The front desk attendants were friendly and helpful and greeted me each time they saw me. My favorite part about this hotel were the great meals. My waiter knew I was alone so he bent over backwards getting me anything I wanted. Also across the street is a restaraunt called 3 amigos which served shrimp for a great price. If you are here in July, you will find many nationals on vacation. The kids are in the pool and ocean from morning to late evening. Great little swimmers but the pool water looked very dirty, I couldnt force myself to swim in it. I didnt see the pool cleaned while I was there and the water was a greenish color. Very disappointing as I was looking forward to swimming.
Due to the travellers warning, Mazatlan tourism is suffering, therefore those that rely on tourism for thier pay are making les and less. Very sad!
I negotiated a fare from my hotel to downtown market area and my driver followed me around all day. I told him several times that I would get another cab for the way back but he continued to follow me. I offered to pay him for the ride to the market but he wouldnt take it and followed me anyway. He drove me back to the hotel and demanded that I owe him 100.00 dollars. I told him no way was I paying him $100.00 when I had already negotiated 200 pesos to get to the market. I ended up paying him 450 pesos and left the cab and went into the hotel. I learned that this driver was charging me for a city tour as he pointed out certain focal points along the way. I did not ask for a tour and the driver knew it. The security staff was at the entrance of the hotel and did nothing to help me out. Im sure they see this quite often as the economy is failing because of the drug problems. Overall, I wasnt impressed with security at the hotel. Love Mazatlan and will be back for my 15th trip, but, wont stay here again, I would drop in for a meal or thier wonderful salsa and chips.

Room Tip: Pick an ocean front room. I was on the third floor. Not much noise. Room was cleaned everyday and...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Playa172011

Reviewed October 18, 2011

Overall I recommend this family hotel. I had some issues during the time that I stayed in Oceano Palace and I was disappointed at the moment. I was lucky enough to bring to the manager's attention and servicio al Cliente my concerns and they solved my problems fast making me feel very comfortable again. I will conceder to go back again and bring my friends. If you stay at this hotel make sure you are and feel comfortable! If not, talk to servicio al cliente. The administration will go out of the way to make you feel happy and welcome.
I definately will go back soon. By the way the food is phenomenal!
Thank you Miriam for your outstanding customer service!

Best regards,
Michael Dergar

• Stayed: July 2011
3  Thank MichaelDergar
Reviewed September 28, 2011

Nice work Oceano Palace you have done a wonderful job with the Remodel of the hotel. I have been going to the Oceano Palace along with all the other fine resorts in Mazatlan for 25 years and at the Oceano Palace, you cannot beat this hotels value. Not only is it on a great beach but it is also in very close proximity of fine restaurants in town.

Room Tip: Book a Suite and get two view of the ocean :)
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank cancunman1
Reviewed September 20, 2011

We 3 gringos from Minnesota have been staying at the Palace for the past 3 years and have our reservation in for Feb 2012. We can hardly wait to return. The staff treats us as their own family. They can remember our names from year to year better than we can theirs. From the first greeting from Alberto till the sad day we have to leave 2 weeks later we we are waited on hand and foot. Our room was cleaned every day, by very courteous Carmin I might add, Alberto and Fernando gave us travel tips for downtown, Jorge is an exceptional waiter poolside, everything we want in a winter break. The only complaint we could muster up was that Tony would not guarentee any fish on the boat. We had to make a trip to the fish market and the Chef in the hotel kitchen served us a feast which could not have been better. Everyone has their favorite but until they stay at the Palace they will change their mind. Can't wait for February.

Room Tip: •"Corner suites are large and sunny"
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jerry150
LALOMORA63, Manager at Oceano Palace, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2011

Dear Jerry150:

It is very nice to hear from you, thank you very much for this kind review, of course we remember you and it was very nice to have you here on your last stay, Fernando and Alberto are very happy to know you are coming back on February, they can´t wait for your return. I am sharing this review with our housekeeping department; especially with Carmen to invite her continue to doing a better job, we will have your room as you like for our 3 amigos, we are glad that you enjoyed your meals prepared by our chef, thank you again for your comments and we are looking forward for your return

Best Regards

Rooms manager

Reviewed September 17, 2011

I stayed here with friends for two weeks and absolutely loved it. The atmosphere of Mexico. Very reasonable price, safe, clean and friendly. Food choices were unbelievable and so nice to have everything fresh. Staff extremely friendly and helpful. Quiet and nice to relax at but you can afford to go out a lot to experience other things. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Helena L

Dear Elena L:

Thank you very much for this nice review, we are very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, this motivates us continue improving every day, we keep the Mexican atmosphere having alive Mexican music on weekends and with our meals in the restaurant, we are glad you enjoyed our food and beverages, It is going to be a pleasure to serve you again soon in this your house in Mazatlan Mexico OCEANO PALACE

Cordially

Rooms Manager

Reviewed September 12, 2011

Sorry about the "false review" but there is no link to contact management on the website and I see they are very active on here (quite impressive). My wife and I are wanting to come down for christmas Dec 24-31, I found here a package and I will travel on airmiles, will there be an issue with me staying in her room with her if I am not down on a package (we are traveling non-inclusive)...which brings me to my next question. On a non-inclusive package how expensive is it to eat/drink in Mazatlan? how much is a 12 pack of corona for example and a decent lunch/dinner meal??? I have been to cuba and the dominican but never Mexico and have always wanted to spend christmas on the beach. any advise/info for the area would be appreciated.

Althought this is not a review...yet.... I think it is excellent that management responds to both positive and negative reviews respectfully

Ian
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Eduardo J, Manager at Oceano Palace, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2011

Dear ian_arlene:

Thank you very much for contact us thru this important forum and thanks in advance for choice this hotel for your next vacation, you can feel free to contact us directly to the toll free number from Canada 1-866-8914214 or email reservations office, reservaciones@oceanopalace.com .
According to your question it will depend of your reservation but normally the price for one and two persons in the hotel room is the same, there is a extra charge after a third person. About meals, a couple can have a really good dinner for $50.00USD average, a corona will cost you $25 pesos, but we have some drinks promotions during the week.
Hope this helps you to plan your vacation, please don´t hesitate to contact us, and my email is ejimenez@oceanopalace.com, I will be glad to assist you.
Thanks again for give us the opportunity to serve you and hope to see you very soon in this your hotel OCEANO PALACE.
Cordially

Rooms Manager

Reviewed September 4, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for a week. It was a great experience. All the staff were very friendly and efficient. We took the ocean view room and the view was great. The best thing about this hotel is its beach. It was clean compared to the beaches elsewhere. Hotel staff were present always by the beach and the pool so it was very safe. The rooms were cleaned everyday. The bathrooms could be cleaned better. The only downside was that the singers start singing early each morning and if you plan on sleeping late it won't be possible. However, the singers are present all day during weekends and they do a great job. They even started singing english songs for us when we were at the restaurant. There is free wireless internet and it was fast (at least in our room). There is an Oxxo convenience store outlet two blocks to the right. We will definitely consider staying at this place when we go back because its great value for money.

Room Tip: Select the ocean view rooms if possible. There is no mountain view on the other side. You will only...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TravelGuySK
Eduardo J, Manager at Oceano Palace, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2011

Dear TravelguySK:

Thank you very much for your time and send us this kind review of your last stay with us, we really appreciate your comments, we are very glad that you had a great experience with us and that you enjoyed our beach, we are located in one of the best beaches in Mazatlan, I spoke to our housekeeping to strengthen our bathroom clean programs, thank you for that. Our alive music program is to create a Mexican atmosphere of fun and make your stay more relaxing. Thanks again for your comments and we are looking forward for your return.

Best wishes