“Old Mazatlan Hotel”
Review of Hotel Belmar

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mazatlan
Hotel Belmar
Ranked #57 of 79 Hotels in Mazatlan
“Old Mazatlan Hotel”
Reviewed November 28, 2004

While living in Texas a couple of friends and myself rode our motorcycles to Mazatlan in the spring of 2003 and 2004. Both times we stayed at the Belmar. Not only were we allowed to park our bikes inside and behind locked doors at night, but they were watched 24/7 while we were there. The rooms were clean and neat. The downstairs bar had cold beer and warm whiskey. What more could you ask for. The prices were cheap and fair. As long as you dont expect room service or anything likie that you cant beat it for the price. I would highly recommend staying there to anyone that wants good treatment and fair prices. If John Wayne could stay there back in the 50's and 60's I can stay there now.

19 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed February 23, 2004

Our family stayed at the Hotel Bel Mar in February, and had a wonderful time staying there. The Staff were wonderful to us and the Hotel had such a charm and warm atmosphere. We would most surely stay there once again. Thanks for the memories.

12 Thank Twitchella54
Reviewed January 29, 2004

We stayed at the Hotel Hacienda in Mazatlan for two weeks in March of 2001. The hotel itself was clean (no bugs). The food at the restaurant was average and included. Some staff members were very solicitous.
Others were unable to bridge the communication gap my feeble Spanish created. The hotel is across a busy road from the beach and not on the beach. The pool is behind the hotel and is relatively unused. Every room has a lovely ocean view and at that time each had a kitchenette and purified water delivered daily. As stated in the other review, the hotel principally is a Mexican tourist destination. The bonus is that you are close to the centre marcado and that you miss the noise and commercialism of the hotel zone (which you can walk easily to or take an inexpensive pulmonaria). The downside is that the economy often ensures that Mexican families take vacations in large groups and stay in hotels in that manner. As a result, the hotel is often boisterous and noisy when attended near or on Mexican holidays. The bar below plays until two or three in the morning (be sure not to stay above it).The beach out front is much prettier than that in the golden zone and is relatively unoccupied. You can walk to the hotel zone via the beach and it is a lovely hike. There is some body surfing here by Mexicans and it is amazing to watch. You can also walk to the old market from the hotel. There is a mall about five minutes away by taxi.I do note that one American group of teenagers / college students reported that two passports went missing from their room. I also note that there is little in the way of fine dining at this end of town in the evening - you may want to spend your money on cabs to eat out.
There was no air conditioning at that time but (and I am a hot bodied person) we didn't need it. THe beds were very hard, but we had the best sleeps of our lives there.I would stay here again if I was on an extended stay or a budget. It is clean, safe and welcoming. For luxury, comfort or to spoil yourself, I would look elsewhere (unless markedly updated since my trip).

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Moscow, Idaho
Reviewed January 20, 2004

My friends and I stayed at the Bel Mar for 3 nights while waiting for our opening at the Pueblo Bonito. My friend wanted to stay there because of the old world charm she heard about. It was so gross. The shower was full of dirt and scum. The pool was also full of scum. Had I been brave enough to actually get in the water, I could have written my name in the scum on the sides of the pool. Our door wouldn't shut entirely and we could see people walking in the hallway while inside our bathroom. There was no phone, no air conditioning, and the furniture seems to have been pieced together from random furniture found laying around. Upon arrival, they didn't have our reservations and then wouldn't honor the price I was quoted. The beach across the street was strewn with garbage and some of the people made us nervous.
Finally, we were able to get to the Pueblo Bonito. The change in atmosphere and elegance almost moved us to tears. Unless you are pinching pennies and are used to staying in truck stop motels, don't buy into the old world charm stuff.

19 Thank Lodijo

Travelers are raving about these Mazatlan hotels

Reviewed December 21, 2003

Best deal in town- I've traveled to mazatlan 4 times in the past 2-3 years. I wouldn't think of staying anywhere else. Rates are around 30.00 nite, ocean view from private balcony, you can here the waves crashing at nite. My gosh, it's great. Now if you want all the extras like a frige, hair dryer, phones, in room bottled water you may not enjoy your stay as we always do. The hotel is old, could use a new coat of paint but you have great service, smiling maid service and a true experience of Mexico. Hotel Belmar is within walking distance of old town Mazatlan and right across the street from the beach. Copa de leche right next door has great food and drinks. Lots of places within the block that provide music nightly. So, if you want a heart filled with wonderful feelings and a trip you will never forget at a great price, stay at the Belmar. No need for a reservation any time of the year.

18 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 17, 2003

For $30.00 a night - what do you expect. Hot water in the mornig and soft beds and the surf crashing in at night - why pay in the 100.00's when you dont have to.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 18, 2002

We stayed at the Bel Mar in January 2002. It was my 12th visit to this famous old hotel. It has changed little in the last 15 years. The ocean view rooms were about 22$ American. The hotel is quirky with the elevators working one day and not the next. Everything is marble,tile and dark mahogony. It is very Mexican and does not try to be Americanized. My parents turned me onto the hotel as they had been going there for years before traking me in 1987. I fell in love with the slow,easy going atmosphere and the crescent shaped beach across the street that I shared with one or two people most days. The hotel was the hang out for John Wayne, Errol Flynn and the other Hollywood types who came to fish in the 40's and 50's. There is still great fishing in Mazatlan.

21 Thank A TripAdvisor Member