“El Cid Marina Beach Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Cid Marina Beach Hotel

El Cid Marina Beach Hotel
Ranked #2 of 79 Hotels in Mazatlan
Santa Rosa CA
“El Cid Marina Beach Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2009

We stayed at El Cid Marina for a week. It was very beautiful. The room, pool and staff were great. They have an activity director named Iran who lead the daily activities. Stretching in the morning followed by water aerobics, bingo, water volley ball, cooking classes, poker and more which was held at pool side. Kudos for Iran who was so pleasant and made our stay at El Cid memorable. You really never need to leave the resort because everything was there that you could imagine. One night they had outdoor movies playing on a big screen TV on the lawn. I recommend your next vacation to be El Cid Marina Beach Hotel in Mazatlan. I want to thank El Cid Marina for a wonderful vacation. ( Thank you Iran for everything you did for my family )
The Casperson Family

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank kcasperson
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2009
Dear kcasperson

Thanks for writing such a thorough review of the hotel which for sure made our day today! I am delighted to hear that your time spent with us was most memorable and that you and your family enjoyed the pleasant atmosphere and character of the hotel.

We appreciate your feedback and are pleased to read about your positive experiences with our staff. Our team really wants to excel all the time and provide the best possible service for all guests - your comment will be even more motivating them to do so. What we find keeps people coming back to El Cid Marina is our exceptional, personalized service and the wonderful team we have in place.

We are really happy to have created memorable experiences with our “movies under the stars” and we are happy to read you recommend us to future travelers. I will be sure to share your review with all of the staff and with Iran in particular, as they are always keen to get feedback about their performance directly from our guests.

Hope you will grant us a renewed opportunity to welcome you back to El Cid Marina Beach Hotel.

Very Kind Regards,

Isaias Gomez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
Santa Rosa CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2009

Our stay at the Marina was again a delight! The Spanish lessons and water exercise with Iran were practical and enjoyable. We enjoyed the outdoor pool service by Dave, Fidel, Edy, Miguel and others. The restaurant provides good food and service by Jorge, Cayatano, Jose Luis, Manuel I & II,Daniel and Immanuel. Nadia was thorough in the cleaning consistency and was very pleasant. The bell men went out of their way to help us find things we needed in town - Andres. Fredy and others at the bellmen counter were always cheerful and assisted us with cabs and pulmonias to direct the drivers to our destination. Thank you for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MizTea
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 23, 2009
Dear MizTea

I want to thank you for your review of our hotel and for giving us the opportunity to be at your service. I am delighted to read that you so fondly remember the wonderful service during your stay at El Cid Marina.

We are so glad you enjoyed the hotel and that your requests were met in a timely manner. I am more than pleased that you experienced our high level of dedication to impeccable customer service. Each member of our team (including the ones you mention) strives to positively impact each guest’s stay by exceeding their expectations and being absolutely committed to excellence in every detail.

For your next visit to our property please contact me at so I can have the opportunity to meet and greet you upon your arrival to our hotel. Keep learning Spanish!

We are always at your service!!!

Kindest regards,

Midwest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2009

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying at the El Cid Marina for 9 nights, from February 16 through the 25. I am writing to express our sincere gratitude for all that your staff did to make our stay so pleasurable. We have been to Mexico many times over the years and have always found its people to be very welcoming, gracious and eager to assist us. But we have never, ever met so many nice people, both in Mazatlan generally, and at El Cid Marina in particular. We were quite literally blown away by the happy and helpful attitudes of virtually everyone with whom we came in contact. Below I have attempted to create a list of all of the staff members that assisted us, but I will certainly forget a few.

I have worked for many companies over the course of my career, so I know that happy and productive employees are no accident - they are the result of a company culture that places a real value on each one of them as individuals. If this culture is not supported at the highest levels, it doesn't work. Based on our interactions with your staff, it seems clear to me that your company must value its employees, pay them a fair wage and treat them with dignity and respect. It gives us great pleasure to stay at a property where this is the case. I hope that we were able to adequately express our appreciation to your dedicated staff while we were enjoying our stay. I would never consider staying anywhere in MZT but the Marina.

Thank you again for the wonderful experience. Here is the partial list of your dedicated staff members who made our visit so special:

Bellmen/Bellwomen

Avi - wonderful young man who helped us immensely
Zameniera - great with the bellmen and super helpful
Many other muchachos whose names I have forgotten, but they all delivered great service and put up with all of my questions

Beach Staff

Mario - fantastic waiter and super friendly
Felipe - another fantastic waiter who treated us like royalty
Wendy - super nice woman
Antonio - delightful older gentlemen who always had a smile for us

Maid Staff

Martha - I loved visiting with Martha on a daily basis; what a pleasure it was to make her acquinatance
Rita - what a delight to have met Rita; always willing to help me with my Espanol.
Ericka - great smile and attitude

Marina Staff

Capt. Victor Togo - a wise man who was nice enough to share his wisdom with me
Capt. Vincente - nice man who I appreciated speaking to about the Tri-maran
Eduardo - great guy; stuck with me even after I forgot his name on two occasions
Gilberto - very pleasant and helpful
Alex - a very nice young man

I can't remember the name of the women who ran the gift store or the laundry, but they were also very helpful and friendly.

Jewerly Store Staff

I know that Christina and Luisa are not employed by El Cid, but it was great to meet them. Both very special young women.

Bar Staff

Jorge - great bartender; was kind enough to learn how to make my favorite drink (Sazerac) and make it for me upon request
Rita - beautiful young woman who helped immensely when we need some translation expertise
Jesus? - Not sure I have this gentlemen's name right, but the young man that work's with Jorge and Rita was very helpful when we were looking for an authentic restaurant.

Restaurant Staff

Can't seem to remember any of the waiter's names. Suffice it to say, they were all top flight at their jobs.

Thank you again for nine days that we will never forget. Keep up the fine work. We hope to return on a regular basis.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank MZTBound
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2009
Dear MZTBound

After reading your nice review we wish to thank you a lot for your appreciation and for your future recommendations to your friends.

Your referrals are very important to us to encourage our staff and ourselves. You focused your attention on our "Personal" style and this make us willing to improve our services more and more.

We take a lot of commitment to deliver excellent service that is expected of us and we are pleased that you had a memorable stay. We pride ourselves in taking great care of our guests and will always do our best to excel in their expectations (verbal or non-verbalized).

Thank you again for your most warm and generous compliments and sharing it to benefit all who visits this website!

El Cid Marina Beach Hotel values your business and considers you one of our most important customers. We look forward to hosting you again. Please contact me directly when you next have the occasion to stay in Mazatlan. I will make the arrangements personally for you.

Ameliasburg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2009

We exchanged to this resort for a holiday with our daughter and son-in-law and our 3 month old grandson. It was ideal for our family. Our clean, spacious two bedroom suite offered a spectacular view over the ocean. The baby loved the warm pool. We enjoyed walking around the marina area, north along the Cerritos beach, and south into the northern part of the Zona Dorada where we logged several geocaches. Staff members were friendly and courteous and quickly re-arranged furniture in the dining room and pool bars to accommodate the stroller. We ate some meals on site. We especially enjoyed the Mexican dishes and made-to-order quesadillas and smoothies at the breakfast buffet. The first evening, tired after a long day of traveling, we ordered room service and were pleased with the quality of the food and the reasonable price.

We wished that the pretty pool under our building had been a little warmer -- it was actually cooler than the ocean -- but the hot tub was very relaxing in the evening.

The resort was largely accessible; however, there was a flight of stairs up to the only dining room. We could carry the stroller up but someone in a wheelchair would have a problem. As far as we could determine, there was no other means of access.

Mazatlán is a favorite spot of ours and we look forward to a return visit to Marina El Cid.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank JLZ
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2009
Dear Eastern Ontario

I would like to take the opportunity to thank you all for the nice reviews you left us.
This makes us very happy, we always try to do our best for our guest and the best for us is to know that you enjoyed your stay.
This hotel for us is like our own house!!!

I have taken the liberty of passing your compliments on to the Team, adding my own thanks. We believe the biggest asset at El Cid is our staff and it is easy to see why the Mexican people are recognized as one of the friendliest people in the world.

Once again, thank you for your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back to El Cid Marina Beach Hotel in the near future.

Thank you for staying with us, we appreciate your patronage.

Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2009

My husband sent my friend and I to Mazatlan for my 33rd birthday. We were amongst the youngest people staying at this hotel. The hotel and staff were great, but Fidel was by far the best. He is one of the waiters at the pool. There are two pool areas and both are very nice. However, the water in the pool that had activities such as bingo, volleyball, etc was too warm to take a dip in when the sun got too hot. We spent most of our time at the other pool. As two young attractive women, we felt some of the male staff were overbearing and, at times, obnoxious. Fidel brought us unique drinks and attended our needs with friendly professionalism.
It was fun to watch the boats come into the marina, the beautiful sunsets from our balcony, and the wide variety of iguanas that visited the pool side area daily.
The only thing this hotel really lacked was nightlife or entertainment for the 20-30 somethings that want to stay up past 9 o'clock. Oh, the food at the restaurant was lacking a bit too, so if you're a "foodie" you'd want to go to town for a nice dinner.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank mbk7801
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 17, 2009
Dear mbk7801

Thank you so much for your review, and for staying with us recently, I know that it was our pleasure to have you and your friend on a very special celebration: your birthday. I appreciated your lovely comments, and have passed them on to the staff…especially to FIDEL.

I'm delighted that you enjoyed the pools, the spectacular sunset views, and our other guests, the iguanas. I have brought your observation about the food to the attention of Executive Chef and Food & Beverage Manager for their review. We will work on possible solutions, and thank you for your feedback.

We look forward to the privilege of serving you again soon. Until then, warmest regards,

Minneapolis, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2009

The El Cid Marina in Mazatlan, Sin, MX is delightful. It was designed to look like a small fishing village and developed to be secluded from the traffic along the main tourist-accommodation road. Every room faces the Marina which is filled with yachts, fishing boats and sail boats from small sloops to 4 story yachts. Like every hotel and restaurant, La Marina’ has a purified water system for your health and safety.

The rooms are light and airy. White tile, walls and ceilings are offset with colorful furniture and accessories primarily in bright yellows and blues. We stayed in a one bedroom with a king size bed in the bedroom and a fold out double sofa bed in the living/dining/kitchen area. It had been newly remodeled with new cabinets, granite counters, curtains and decor.

We were in one of the smaller units (some visitors consider that a disadvantage of the village design) with a partial kitchen, but it was more than satisfactory for our needs. Our two adult daughters joined us in over-lapping weeks during our two week stay. They had plenty of room as there is also a seating unit that converts to a single bed. The biggest drawback with the smaller units is the single bathroom, but two vanities with sinks simplified that issue. There is also a lack of storage space and no place to hang wet towels and swim suits.

The service at the complex is excellent. Staff levels are high and response time is way above average. The restaurant and bar are delightful and the breakfast brunch is not to be missed, particularly if you want a taste of Mexican dishes in addition to pancakes, eggs and bacon. Add some chorizo (Mexican sausage with a small kick) to your omelet and put some honey on the cinnamon-coated, fried bananas for a surprisingly tasty treat.
The service also extends to the pool side grills and drink service. Wait staff circulate among the lolling sunbathers frequently and seem to have inexhaustible memories for preferences and room numbers. We had occasion to need a doctor after 9 PM. The front desk called one for us and we were very happy with the quick arrival and assistance he provided.

There are two pools, one heated with a swim up bar and the other unheated with an adjacent spa/hot tub. Both have sloping walk in children's areas. The cold pool is 9 feet deep and has a swim through cave and waterfalls that patrons can jump or dive from. Several iguanas live around the cold pool and occasionally beg for food (tortilla chips are a favorite). The heated pool is the location of the continuous activities from water exercise to volleyball. Crafts and Bingo are featured there as well.

Check in is efficient and friendly and the option of taking a golf cart to your unit is always available. The desk and bell staff are friendly and eager to assist. The desk staff made reservations at a prime downtown restaurant for us and the bell staff will help with destinations, translations and recommendations for most anything. Always ask them about the price for cabs to various destinations and they will negotiate with the drivers before you get in the car. (Always get the cost upfront in Mexican cabs.) Mazatlan has open air ‘cabs’ called ‘pulmonia’ (pneumonia) because the ‘gringos’ loved to ride in them even in what the locals thought was really cold weather. They are made on a VW Bug base and look like a motorized surrey with the fringe on top. Be sure to try one on at least one outing.

The El Cid website promotes a free ride for guests from the airport. You will be met by a hotel representative and the van brings you directly to the hotel. However, what they do not tell you is you are required to attend a time share sales tour and pitch to get a free ride back. You will be offered several benefits in addition to the cab ride. We rejected the ‘free breakfast’ sales pitch but were called at 8:30 two mornings in a row and one night at 10:30 by overly aggressive 'appointment staff'. After complaining at the front desk, the calls stopped. If you like the bonuses and don't mind the sales pitch, go ahead. If you don't want to spend 3 hours of your vacation hearing a sales pitch, be very clear that you will not attend and want no phone calls.

The hotel offers wi-fi for a daily or weekly fee. When we were there, the signal strength was very low (like below 15 mbps) and would cut out often. Service in the lobby was great, but working in the lobby for any length of time is pretty inconvenient. Requests for assistance were addressed immediately, but the answer often was, 'we're having Internet access trouble.' They did their best, but had no help from their tech people.

The Marina is one of 4 El Cid hotels and a Country Club with golf, tennis & spa. A free shuttle will take you to any one of the 5 sites and your guest room cards allow you to get towels at every pool and charge to your room at every restaurant and bar among them. Each one has a different atmosphere, but they are all delightful.

Mazatlan is a large city on the Pacific coast across from the southern end of the Baja Peninsula. The old downtown square has been restored to its original elegance. The theater on the square has shows regularly. The downtown mercado (market) is a sight to be seen. You can buy everything from sunglasses to a raw pig’s head there.

The 'tourist strip' along the Pacific is a great walk. Small groceries, pharmacies and restaurants line the street and alleyways filled with Mexican crafts, silver, 'real' vanilla, t-shirt shops and sunglasses appear seemingly out of nowhere during daylight when the storm doors are opened and shelves are dragged outside. Traditional Mexican pottery, serapes, leather goods, glassware and clothing are available at very reasonable prices. Unless posted, the shop keepers expect to bargain. Walking away almost always brings a reduced price offer. Fine jewelry is also available.

Restaurants vary from sidewalk cafes to beach side dining to formal. You can also find McDonalds and Dairy Queen among other American chains. A wide variety of food is available. We had traditional Mexican, Italian and American, but sushi, tapas, seafood and a Brazilian grill are also available. Late night clubs are available for the younger set. They start to get busy around 10 PM.

Other activities available in Mazatlan include para-sailing over the ocean behind a motor boat, boogey board rental, deep sea fishing, various tours of the city, surrounding country-side, tequila factory, among them.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gretchen B
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 14, 2009
Dear ouilassie

On behalf of our managers and staff, I would like to sincerely say GRACIAS (THANK YOU) to you for allowing us the opportunity to host you.

We are really pleased that they found our suites to be spacious, our location ideal for outdoor recreational activities and our variety of services and amenities such as shuttle bus, in-room safe, and internet in the suite, WiFi, golf course, spa & tennis of value to you.
Our goal is for our guests to say: "All this for only $...." And then recommend us to their friends and family . . . as well as return-perhaps to see what else we have improved since their last visit.

I was really glad to hear that you were able to experience the personal service that our staff shares with everyone they encounter. We try to make each and every guest stay a personal one with a promise that "you'll arrive as our guest but leave as part of our family."

We hope to see you again so please do not hesitate to contact us for your next trip!

california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2009

I've been to Mazatlan many times, but this was the first time I ever stayed at the El Cid Marina. What awonderful paradise. The staff was superior....the bellboys, especially a young man named Avasai was helfpul, courteous and most of all very polite and friendly.
I will certainly stay here in the future........for this is truly the place of beauty.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank yoesca
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2009
Dear voesca

Thank you so much for your encouraging words and for your kind feedback about our staff members being friendly.

It’s a pleasure for me as the GM to read about how much pleasure you took from visiting us at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel.

I will be sure to share your enthusiasm with our team. Please make sure to visit us whenever your travel plans bring you to Mazatlan. Thank you very much.