“It keeps getting better”

El Cid Marina Beach Hotel
Ranked #1 of 79 Hotels in Mazatlan
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“It keeps getting better”
Reviewed June 13, 2014

This was my 4th trip to Mazatlan, 3rd stay at the El Cid Marina Beach, but my first solo visit. My experiences as a solo vacationer other places have varied from safe and happy, to lonely and difficult. This was totally safe and super happy. The staff at the Marina Beach has always been exceptional, but if it was possible to exceed their prior excellent service, they did. Special thanks to Nadia at reception, who was helpful and courteous about multiple lost keys and who helped me with my Wi-Fi connection. I also want to mention Jose Manuel at the Iguana bar (poolside restaurant), who remembered my preferences from day to day and who took it upon himself to help me me stay on a diabetic diet without getting into a rut of the same things every day, suggesting foods to try and arranging some off-menu preparations. The staff went out of their way to introduce me to some of the other older single women repeat visitors at the resort, and when I went out inquired very politely and kindly where I was going and when I expected to be back. They treated me the way my grown children would.

On my other visits there have been more families with children than this time. The resort is very family-friendly. Children particularly enjoy feeding the iguanas, and the variety of pools (one is large and relatively shallow, great for lap swimming, water aerobics (daily at noon), and water volley ball. The other is actually divided into several distinct areas, connected by water slides and swimmable tunnels: huge hot tub, sloping area with plenty of ladders, rails and hand-holds for the kids, deep "diving" pool, and another intermediate sized pool on the other side of the caves. There is also a small playground, a rudimentary mini-golf course, and shuffleboard. The "kids club" is located between the other El Cid hotels, but welcomes children staying at the Marina Beach.

The atmosphere of a resort built around a working marina, with boats moored both long and short term, and home to a sports fishing fleet, adds to the feel of the place. I sat out on my balcony late at night and listened to the waves breaking on the beach and at the same time to the gentle lapping of water in the protected harbor, and the hushed sounds from the residents on the yachts. What a way to unwind! If I got up early, I watched the army of busy landscapers who keep the grounds looking pristine. One morning, I watched them harvesting coconuts from the tall palm trees.

There were two changes in Mazatlan itself from prior trips. First, it continues to grow to the north. The Marina used to be one of the northernmost resorts. Now, hotels extend a long way past the Marina. I have always enjoyed that the Marina was close enough to get to either downtown or the "golden zone" of older beach resorts quickly and for a negligible cost, and yet was still away from the bustle. That continues to be true, as the new developments are across the inlet from the Marina, but there is much more development now. The other change was that there was a more visible, but apparently benign, police presence in the areas frequented by tourists, (and there were fewer pan-handlers and time-share sales shills on the streets).

Finally, the highway connecting Mazatlan and Durango has opened, after two decades of anticipation, cutting an 8-hour drive to less than 3. Spectacular bridges and tunnels. I highly recommend any of the tours that take you to Durango. The drive itself if worth it.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms have patios and most are just steps from a pool; all others have balconies. The...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
5 Thank SantaFeNana
GMELCID, Director General at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, June 15, 2014
Dear SantaFeNana,

First and for most I’d like to thank you for being a repetitive guest and always showing your loyalty coming back to us. It’s great to hear about how great you enjoyed your stay in Mazatlan and that we were able to provide that for you given the outstanding service shown by my staff. We work year round to make improvements in our hotel so we can have it looking its best and it’s always great when people take notice of our hard efforts. I am glad you were able to make friends along the way and that you had a chance to visit all of our installations in our hotel. We hope you keep coming back to us for years and years to come we can’t wait for you to visit us again soon.

Warm regards,
Isaias Gomez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (482)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed June 11, 2014

Mazatlan was a blast. Very safe to travel to and tons of things to do there. Beautiful city with warm blue oceans! We went in May 2014 and it was very warm. For some travelers not used to the heat this may be a little hot for you. Lot's of pools and the ocean keep you cool! El Cid was a beautiful hotel. The transportation from the airport to the hotel was complimentary. It was a nice air conditioned ride. At this point they will tell you about the local areas and the resort and will give you lots of options for activities you can do while in Mazatlan. They will also set you up for a timeshare presentation. It is definitely optional and I felt no pressure to do it. In fact, we opted not to participate in the timeshare presentation. It took about 15-20 minutes from the airport to arrive to the resort. At check-in were were given an ICE cold cerveza (Corona) to start the vacation off right. Rogelio Rueda checked us in. He was very polite and made the process painless. He told us he was going to put us in a very nice room but it unfortuantely would not be ready for about an hour. He collected our luggage for us and told us to go enjoy the restaurant while we waited. We went upstairs to a beautiful restaurant overlooking the ocean. It was a delicious buffet as well as menu items you could order. The food was 5 stars all the way! I ordered a frozen margarita and ate while watching the ocean and the waves. AMAZING! We then headed back downstairs where a gentleman picked us and our luggage up on a golf cart and drove us to our room. So, Rogelio did not dissapoint. This room was to die for! It was all the way at the back of the building on the 4th floor. We walked in to an all tile room with a fully loaded kitchen. This room was HUGE! We stepped out onto out large L shaped balcony. We had views of the ocean all the way around. The patio had furniture on it and the room was beautifully furnished as well. Great bathroom vanity area and amazing shower with great water pressure. It was a huge shower you could steam in! There were two pools at this resort and a swim up bar and food cooked to order all day. I would definitley recommend the all inclusive. We ate and drank all day. Also, with the all inclusive you can eat, drink and siwm at the other El Cid Resorts. There is a complimentary shuttle running all day to take you and the resorts are only 5-10 minutes away. We made reservations at the Italian, Mexican and Argetinian restaurants. Reservations were super easy to make and the food was top of the line. Service at all the restaurants and bars and buffets was excellent. All in all this was a great stay. I reccommend El Cid Marina beach for couples and adults. Seemed like the other resorts had a lot of children where as this one was more relaxed and a little quieter. Also, this resort has beach access by water taxi only. It is complimentary and takes only a minute or 2 to get there. It was actulally fun!

Room Tip: First of all, ask for Rogelio Rueda at checkin! He will hook you up. Second, getting a room at the b...
6 Thank April Ann S
Dear April Ann S,

Thank you for taking time to write this review. I appreciate your time given. It sounds like you had such a great time which makes me so happy to hear. We always try to provide the best service possible and I’m glad my staff was able to do that for you. I’m glad to hear that you found everything from our rooms to be spacious with a breath taking view to our fine dine cuisines we always prepare with the best fresh ingredients. From what you previously mentioned on your review I see you had time to visit our other resorts as well and were able to use our free transportations its great you got time to get the full on experience. I will pass along your kind remarks on our staff’s great labor, we hope to see you again.

Kind regards,
Austin, Texas
Reviewed June 8, 2014

We spent five nights at the El Cid Marina and Beach Resort with four friends recently. The resort is beautiful and the location is perfect for enjoying the lovely city of Mazatlan!I can't say enough about the managers, Armando and Rogelio, they were totally concerned about our visit with them. And Olivia, the staff person on our floor, was an amazing and delightful lady. Thanks to all of you at this resort for your kindness during our stay!

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the water are quieter.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Jeanie C
Dear Jeanie C ,

It is always great to hear what a wonderful time our guest encountered while visiting us and from the looks of it I can tell your stay was no exception. I am glad you found our location to be so lovely Mazatlan is a beautiful city known for its amazing scenery we are fortune enough to see this day to day. I will definitely pass along your kind remarks to Armando and Rogelio for there outstanding customer service , we hope you visit us again soon and we hope we can make it as memorable as this visit.

Kind Regards ,
Isaias Gomez,
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed June 3, 2014

We were with friends that traded with their time share. The staff, people who worked there were all exceptional. There was a slight problem with our reservation when we arrived, but they worked hard to resolve it. I was very surprised, as well, to the city of Mazatlan...very clean, safe and cordial people. We enjoyed our time racing around the pool and also going into town for dinner.

Room Tip: We stayed I in A-2, GREAT maid service..Olivia, what a delight! All the rooms opened out to the pool...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Sandrasue_13
GMELCID, Director General at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, June 7, 2014
Dear Sandrasue,

Thank you very much for have taken the time in writing this review about your awesome vacation with us.
It is very good to know that our staff made your stay pleasant and they were helpful every time you need something.
We will be more than happy to have the pleasure to be part of your next vacations once again, not in a far future.

Best Regards,

Isaías Gomez
tennessee
Reviewed June 1, 2014

This was our first visit to Mazatlan and certainly not our last. The El Cid Marina was a beautiful resort, our room overlooking the marina and the beautiful yachts. We were pleasantly upgraded to a 1 bedroom suite when we arrived and were checked in promptly and shown to our room. We were located in bldg. 4, which was close to the lobby and restaurant, with a short walk to the pools. The kitchen was well furnished and the bed was very comfortable. We took advantage of the all-inclusive and utilized the shuttle to the El Cid Castilla. If you do not do the all-inclusive, we found the prices at the restaurants to be very expensive in our opinion. The breakfast buffet was 180 pesos and we could easily spend $100usd at the pool for food and drinks. I think the all inclusive was $67usd per person per day. The Castilla has a dinner show every night which was great because there is absolutely nothing to do at the marina at night, except karaoke on Friday night. The staff at both resorts were friendly and helpful. One thing that we did notice was that the resorts in Mazatlan are not as English-friendly as other resorts we have visited on the caribbean side of Mexico, but they always found someone to interpret and communicate. Our maid was Rosario and she did an excellent job. We always tip our maid and servers because they do such a good job and are very grateful for tips. The servers at the pool are always right on top of things and keep the drinks filled. We did try to go to the beach one day, but decided the beach wasn't for us. It was very steep, so we just hung out at one of the pools which we preferred anyway. We had no problems getting pool chairs and palapas as we have noticed at most other places. If you want to go to Walmart, just walk down to the main road (short walk) and one of the golf carts will take you for 50 pesos round trip. Our driver Michael even went in with us and helped carry our groceries. We ended up letting him take us on the city tour and he was very helpful.

Room Tip: We were in room 404 directly over the marina. Very convenient and close to everything.
2 Thank mbboring
GMELCID, Director General at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Dear, mbboring

We are so happy to know in your first visit and among options in Mazatlan you choosing El Cid Marina for expend your vacations with us.

I am delighted to hear that we are on your needs by great combinations from the room size, hotel ambiance, pricing and most importantly our staffs whom must be complimented for being very polite and professional thus, making you stays so enjoyable. It is very important that our staff has a friendly attitude and that they are able to provide information.

I’m sorry for know that the prices in our restaurants are not on your expectations and your experience with the English speaking staff, it’s surprises to me as we care in human recourses a certain degree of English, likewise we provided a English class for our employes. Either way I will take note of this situation to prevent happen to our future guest.

We look forward to your next visit and to give you the experience you have come to expect.

My best,

Columbia Mo
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Can't say enough about this resort. We were all inclusive and although I don't drink all that much, the food places we were eligible for were "over the top"! We had a steak right here at the Marina property that was just EXCELLENT. The studio the two of use had, was plenty large with a small balcony that we enjoyed every morning w/coffee. The staff couldn't have been any more helpful or accommodating. It's great for people over 50 or so, as it's pretty laid back which we liked. Two nights they showed movies out by the pool & we laid on the pool loungers to watch, it was just beautiful evenings to do this. The staff, Jose Manual, Edy, Ramon, Abraham, to name a few, are there to please your every whim,,, and so NICE about everything. They are also QUITE ENTERTAINING at times which made our stay so much fun! Wish we were there again now. We'll be back but not soon enough!!

Room Tip: We were right in the middle of the two pools and on the top floor, so not a bad walk to anywhere, fr...
2 Thank Deucette
Dear, Deucette

I was delighted and extremely proud to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. We value greatly such encouraging and complimentary comments, which allow us to focus on the important issues of guest service and personal attention, and continue to inspire and motivate us to maintain the high level of service we aim to provide.

I will take great pride in sharing your generous comments with my colleagues. On behalf of all my team, may I thank you again for taking the time and trouble to share with us your kind comments. Also, your recommendations are perfect.

We look forward to having the sincere pleasure of welcoming you back to El Cid Marina Beach Hotel in many more occasions in the future and if I personally can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

My best,

Reviewed May 24, 2014 via mobile

We loved el CID marina with the all inclusive. The staff was friendly, our room was clean with an amazing view and balcony, and the food was surprisingly good for an all inclusive. We were content to relax by the awesome pool all week (even though we did some excursions). Exactly what a week of resort type vacation we anticipated, very relaxing!

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ljbeech
GMELCID, Director General at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
Dear Ljbeech,

Thank you so much for have taken the time to let us know your awesome experience at el Cid Marina, it is wonderful to hear that we met all your expectations of a relaxing resort.
We hope to see you back soon.

I send you my best regards,