“World's Best Staff!”

El Cid Marina Beach Hotel
Ranked #1 of 80 Hotels in Mazatlan
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed March 12, 2014

I've stayed at resorts all over the globe and have never experienced the service,caring and helpfulness that La Marina gives.This was my first time here alone but,no worries .From the time I checked in to a warm welcome from Jorge,who had given me an ocean view room,and Rigo,my favorite waiter who greeted me by name!When you consider how many people visit here that is amazing.Javier introduced me to other singles,and I made many friends throughout the day.Dinner is the best time especially as Rigo introduces me to dishes I've never tried before,suggests great wine,delicious desserts like chocolate strawberries,makes sure that I'm seated near Martin,the talented musician who knows so many of the guests favorite songs.Dinner is truly an event.
At breakfast I look for Edy.He is friendly,helpful and gets me the best cappuccinos.For lunch I head for the Iguana Bar where the great entertainer,Fidel presides.Ramon is the one who knows just how I like the seafood soup,wish I could take it home.
So,even though I plan to return in October,After such a good time I've added ten days in May.Can't come soon enough!
Thanks everyone,I love you all.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2014

Dear, Rosemary S

On behalf of El Cid Resort, Thank you for yor confidende and for your kind words for our hotel, I’m happy to read that you have a great experience in your recent visit to El Cid La Marina.

As we have so often stated before, our staff is the ultimate key to our success and your satisfaction as a guest, and to that end we spend much time and effort in conducting training and sharing all manners of guest feedback with our associates. We certainly believe that we have developed and cultivated a caring team of professionals, and our staff of providing memorable Mazatlan experience.

Finally, we appreciate the warm comments about the staff . thet are one of the many smiling faces our guests can always count on at El Cid Marina.

Kind Regards,

Isaías Gomez
General Manager.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,488)

Reviewed March 12, 2014

We do a lot of traveling, but when we want to feel at home we schedule a trip to Mazatlan and stay at the El Cid Marina. The bellman are awesome, especially Avi and Pedro. The front desk is very friendly and helpful. Leonardo and Luis have helped us out on many occasions. The management staff are available and willing to help in any way they can. This time we owe a special thanks to Jorge. He is a wonderful representative for the El Cid Marina, Mazatlan and Mexico. We send most of the days hanging out at the pool and Abraham and Miguel are just of few of the waiters that work really hard to please everyone. This year we spent three weeks at the Marina and as usual, we were not ready to go home. Be sure and get out and explore Mazatlan. It is a beautiful city and any employee will be happy to suggestions restaurants and things to do. This year we went to Durango with one of the employees from the hotel. We paid for the rental car and he drove us on the new highway and showed up around. We also went to El Quelite with a Mexican couple that we have come to know over the past ten years. We also went to the Carnival fireworks and Sunday evening parade and had a blast. Have a great time when you stay at the El Cid Marina.

Room Tip: All of the rooms overlook the Marina, so you can't go wrong with any of the rooms.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

Dear, J-W

Thank you for the glowing review! You’re spoiling us with these marvelous comments! We love our staff, they are shiny and bright and fragrant. Without them we would just be like any other hotel. Pedro, Avi, Leonardo, Luis, Abraham, Miguel and the rest of the staff certainly go out of his way to ensure everyone has the best time possible. As we have so often stated before, our staff is the ultimate key to our success and your satisfaction as a guest, and to that end we spend much time and effort in conducting training and sharing all manners of guest feedback with our associates. And yes, our porches give our guests the perfect place to relax and read.

I remain at your disposal for anything other and I hope to have you here again as a guest.

My best,

Reviewed March 12, 2014

My wife and I traded on our Wyndham points to this property for a week. Its a very pleasant place with nice but not spectacular condos with modest kitchens. I doubt they expect people to do much cooking. The restaurants on the property were OK but again, not spectacular. Breakfast is probably their best effort. The beach is reached via a two minute water taxi ride and then you have to be able bodied enough to walk up a steep ramp. The beach was windy and the water cold but there was enough shade and chairs provided. The staff was very friendly and we enjoyed most of them with the exception of their maniacal and deplorable time share salespeople who will boldly lie to your face and use ridiculous scare tactics, such as guaranteeing we are about to receive a letter from Wyndham about a sudden $600 arbitrary fee increase (not at all true). This is documented by others on the various websites, search for salesman Arturo. El Cid should get rid of this guy as he is destroying their reputation but that is their problem, not mine.
We happened to be there during Mardi Gras and attended the parade along the Malecon. It was great. Its very easy to take a city bus from in front of the property. Inexpensive and very efficient way to get down to the old part of Mazetlan which is historical and lovely. Don't be afraid to venture away from the property. It felt quite safe and was great fun.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second and third floors overlooking the marina have lovely views of the boats.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear, drpaulDal...

We would like to thank you for choosing El Cid Marina Beach Hotel as a place to stay during their trip to Mazatlan and also for your nice and encouraging comments about us. This is the only effective way to learn, from a guests’ perspective, our strong, but also our weak points and to improve our service.

I´m so happy to read that you are able to enjoy the parade in our great carnival that is held each year, and easy way to go there, and it was safe and easy access for ride around Mazatlan;… it is nice to read you enjoyed them as well.

Please be assured we have addressed your comments with the time share representative, your feedback will help us as we continually strive to provide a most pleasant and comfortable stay for our guests. We can offer no excuses, only our assurance that we will work very diligently to correct any deficiencies. If you want to discus more details about this situation please contact at mamoran@elcid.com.mx

I really appreciate your comments about La Marina Restaurant; we take a note of your comments to improvement, nevertheless, satisfied with the choice of breakfast service there.

Please let us know the next time you’re coming to the sunniest city in Mexico so we can take good care of you at our hotel, hopefully, for a longer stay.

Isaías Gomez

Reviewed March 5, 2014

Was time for our annual trip with my girlfriends and we stayed at the El Cid Marina Beach Hotel in Mazatlan Mexico for our girls trip. We have never been let down by this hotel or their staff and this year was no different.

I own a home in Mazatlan but my friends refuse to leave the Marina hotel and I do not blame them. The service at this hotel tops all hotels. I have been going to Mazatlan since 1997 and I would not recommend any other facility for my friends and family.

This year one of my friends had an accident OFF SITE where she seriously injured herself. Jorge Valdes could not have been more helpful. The Dr. on site at the hotel identified the problem, made quick recommendations which resulted in her going to the Sharps hospital. Jorge met us at the hospital and stayed their with us the entire time (over 5 hours) without complaint. He helped explain the process all along the way and was the key communicator allowing all of us to be at ease. She received outstanding medical care and was able to return to the hotel knowing that she was fine and could enjoy the remainder of her vacation. Senior Gomez also called during the event to make sure she was fine and was being properly taken care of. All of this service for an event that did not even take place at the hotel. It anyone has ever worried about health issues while on vacation- stay at the Marina- you will be well taken care of.

Fidel, Ramon, Juan (the lifeguard) Jose and Jorge and all the staff at the Iguana pool provided fantastic service and entertainment. The food (chef Aaron) was delicious. The rooms (thanks to Olilvia) were spotless and we were able to see our old friend Edy up in the restaurant. Valerio and his crew up front took care of our taxi's, rides to the back pool, anything they could help us with.

This hotel bends over backwards to accomodate its guests all under the great leadership of Senior Gomez who is constantly walking the grounds of the hotel checking on all details including ensuring that guests are happy. He works long hours and his dedication to the guests is clear.

The weather was perfect, sunshine every day. We stayed for 14 days and hope to increase that amount of time every year.

This may sound like an over the top review but it is an honest review. You cannot go wrong by staying at this place.

Can't wait to go back next year.

Room Tip: every room has a great view.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Minnesotachicks
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2014

Dear Minnesotachicks,

First of all, I have to say that I felt very sorry that one of your friends had an accident in your Mazatlan vacations but how awesome is hear that our staff take care of you every time. I’m glad we are always able to provide you satisfactory visits and your expectations are always meet.
Thank you for sharing your recent experience with our fellow readers so they too can be encouraged to come and also have an incredible time.

I can secure you that Fidel, Ramon, Juan (the lifeguard) Jose and Jorge Zendejas are happy to see the results of this great work and I can assure you that they will receive a special mention of their excellent work.

We hope to have you back with us.

Best Regards,

Isaías Gómez

Reviewed March 4, 2014

I generally live in Mazatlan much of the time and have an apartment in Historic Centro but at times, like at Carnival, I like to get out of the downtown and stay at a resort on my time share points. I usually stay at El Cid El Moro but have stayed here once before and decided to come again. I found that it has improved since I last stayed. The beds are softer! My room on the second floor of the last building to the south was right in front of the second pool area which is my favorite pool because it is deep and there is a huge hot pool too. I had a second entrance to the room which allowed me to just walk down a few stairs and be poolside instead of walking into a building and up an elevator first. I love that. The first floor units of course can also just walk out the back of their rooms onto a patio and to the poolside. Its a feature that the other El Cids don't have. The view of the marina and boating channel is also very nice.

The food is of excellent quality and I used room service a few times. The only thing I think that could be improved is the mixed drinks served poolside like margaritas and funky monkey or what have you....they are not very good. I tried a couple and stuck with rum and diet coke, beer, or blood mary. Also, the restaurant's house red wine should be upgraded. They serve Don Simone which is not a good red wine. Most restaurants in Mazatlan use Conch y Toro reds as the house wine which is a reasonably drinkable red wine.

I did not go for the all-inclusive but other guests told me it was a reasonable $49 US a day or $225 a week which is VERY good. And apparently you can just go day to day instead of committing to a week. I think you have to stick to a set buffet menu for that though.

I found everything very clean, attractive and comfortable. The staff at the poolside bar/restaurant were very nice and friendly, and gave great service. As did my room maid. I always left her 50 pesos to wash up a few dishes.

And, of course, karaoke at the bar on Fridays from 7-10 by Robert and Diane is a lot of fun. They have shows all over town and I go at least once a week at Shrimp Bucket in Olas Altas. They have an excellent system with hundreds of thousands of songs on their computer. Any song you want to sing, Diane will look it up within seconds.

I highly recommend this resort - if they change their red wine! lol.

Room Tip: I like the buildings farthest to the south - I stayed in 243. The first floor is great for the walk...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo

Dear sujane80,

How glad I felt when I saw the title of your review "Best of the El Cids in Mazatlan” I have no words to thank the time you took to write your comments about your experience with us.

Is good to know that you found our resort better than the last time you came because we are working hard to improve our property and meet the expectatives of our guests.

Regarding about the quality of our beverages, I personally will check with the chef the preparation of these and I assure you the next time you visit us, you'll notice improvements.

I hope you don't last too much to visit us again in this your second home el Cid Marina.

Isaías Gómez
General Manager.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

We visited Mazatlan for the first time in January, staying for one week here, and another week in their sister resort, El Moro beach. The Marina is a nicer, quieter resort than the El Cid mega resort (El Moro, Castilla, Granada).
Being a smaller resort, the Marina feels more friendly, and is easy to get around. The views of the marina are nice... every room/condo at the resort has a view of the canal or ocean. You can walk around the resort and explore, taking in the fish and rays swimming by the sea walls, boats in the marina and local iguana residents. A short water taxi takes you across the canal where you can walk out to the lighthouse, or go down to the resort's private beach, which has cabana huts and a drink/menu/towel service on site. There are a few vendors that stroll by, but they are not as bothersome as some in the other areas in the Golden zone. The water isn't good for snorkelling enthusiasts, but we had a grand time playing in the waves, and strolling along the beach at sunset. (bring your camera!)
There are two pools, a central heated pool, where most of the daily activities are based, and a larger cool pool, with slides, swimmable caves/jumping platform and a hot pool.
We stayed in a one bedroom, ground floor condo. The room had decent kitchen facilities to make basic meals like breakfast and lunch, and to reheat leftovers from supper. Despite being ground floor, and across from the middle pool area, we did not find noise or privacy an issue.
There are very few dining options here... mainly pool bar snacks, a lobby bar, and one main restaurant. The restaurant dinner we had was very good, but the lobby bar service was rather poor both times we tried to stop for a snack and drink.
The resort is located at the far end of the Golden Zone, but there are several nice restaurants and basic stores within 10-15 mins walking distance south. There is also free shuttle service between the Marina and the El Cid mega resort. If you are doing the all inclusive option, you can go to the sister resort to dine at the restaurants there, and participate in other activities. If not doing all inclusive, please note that there is a NEW Walmart super center and shopping center that opened just north of the Marina area. A 50-70 peso pulmonia ride will take you there easily, as will a few of the bus routes. If you want to venture to other stores for groceries or shopping, you can also ride the bus south to the Mega store or La Gran Plaza mall... the busses will be marked, and the bus drivers will usually let you know where to get off if you ask.
The Marina is also the launch point of several tours, so regardless of which tour company you book with, you may wish to book your Deer Island tour for the week you stay here.
I have to give a special mention of appreciation to concierge Teresita... she helped us greatly while staying here! Two days after arrival, I broke a tooth, and Teresita was most gracious in locating a dentist (her own family's doctor) and transporting us there (on her days off, yet!).
We enjoyed our stay at the Marina and definitely would consider staying here again in the future.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cary F
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2014

Dear kary

Thank you for taking the time in letting us know how your recent experience was. I appreciate the detailed description in which allows fellow readers to see just how great our installations are and the many things we have to offer. We work really hard in keeping our resort well maintained and it is always great when people take notice it just motivates us even more to continue along this path. From your review I can see that you very much enjoyed your stay and not only were you able to explore all our resorts but Mazatlan as well. Mazatlan is a wonderful city with much to offer from its culture to amazing scenery.

Warm Regards ,

Reviewed March 1, 2014

First time to Mazatlan! This location was offered thru the airline we booked with. We wanted a direct flight & all inclusive. Most of the guests were older than 50. Super Bowl weekend brought in a younger crowd. Mellow entertainment in the dining room -- electric piano and a 3-pce (2 guitars 1 bass) mariachi. No dance floor but we danced around the tables anyway. Karaoke one evening. Watch out for the 'free' city tour (or the like) as it comes with a 'free' timeshare presentation. They didn't tell us about the free breakfast so we ate before-- that threw their schedule off (?). The snorkeling was pathetic on the Deer Island tour. Food overall was not bad at this location but a shuttle made other El Cid venues accessible -- no charge with our all-incl. bracelets (tho' the chips, salsa and guacamole was to die for at the pools!!) Small sports bar/lounge and 2 pool bar/food kiosks. Drink quality and taste varied by bar and bartender. We tipped often which seemed to help. Only beach access was via a 3-min ferry ride across the marina. Food and bev available there also. Take-out coffee shop small convenience store, souvenir shops, dr. office, tour arrangers, wedding venue all on site. Spa, golf and tennis courts available for El Cid customers. Wished we would have learned the bus system -- would have saved $. Two desktop computers for guests (charges for 'over use' didn't seem to be enforced). Free wifi was not available here so went down the street to El Cid Castilla. Take a few days to search out the best souvenir shops. Take only silver with a 925 stamp to avoid disappointment (green on your fingers). Clean clean clean -- we were on the 5th floor Bldg A closest to the ocean. Beds were firm. Grounds were immaculate. Waiters were AWESOME. All this is why I'd go back tomorrow :) !!

• Stayed: January 2014
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2014

Dear Karen C,

Let me start off by saying how much I love your Title for this review ¨”I would go back tomorrow” it is so amazing you were so fond of our hotel and might I add what an honor it is that you choose our resort out of many resorts in Mazatlan and that we had the privilege to make your first in Mazatlan Unforgettable! I’m pleased to hear you found many activities to keep busy with and entertain you and also took a chance to further explore our other facilities. It over all sounds like you had a great time and really got a chance explore Mazatlan as well as our resort which both have much to offer ! We await anxiously for your next trip .

Kind regards,