“Nice, but different from the past” 4 of 5 stars
Review of El Cid Marina Beach Hotel

El Cid Marina Beach Hotel
Ranked #2 of 80 Hotels in Mazatlan
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Nice, but different from the past”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I have reviewed this resort in 2008 (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g150792-d152916-Reviews-El_Cid_Marina_Beach_Hotel-Mazatlan_Pacific_Coast.html). That was the last time we had stayed there. Five years later, and there are some changes, yet some things still the same. First, the things that have changed....

No cruise ships. From what I understand, they will be returning. They were stopped by several cruise lines due to the drug cartel issues. I’m hoping they will be reinstated permanently. No cruise ships has affected the Mazatlan economy quite negatively. In a way, this negative impact has a positive impact on the people that come to stay at the resorts and hotels. For the biggest impact, many of the businesses are moving north, especially restaurants. The restaurants that want to survive have moved from the Golden Zone, northward, toward El Cid Marina. A great example is Ernie’s. However, at least one restaurant has maintained its presence in the Golden Zone and has a location more toward El Cid Marina is Pancho’s. The Golden Zone location has the beach, which is really great. Both locations have excellent food.

Anyhow... summary: Golden Zone seemed to be fading away, while businesses move northward.

As for things that are the same... beaches are very nice, and the city seems the same as it has always been (at least for the past 13 years): peaceful, and always a good time. If you stay on the main drags, there are no reasons to worry about getting attacked by drug cartels. One morning I took about a 2 mile walk from Marina El Cid to the Golden Zone. Mellow and uneventful.

As for El Cid Marina itself, I was a bit disappointed that they had not updated all of their rooms in the same style that I had raved about in my review 5 years ago. Still the same, drab decor. I was also disappointed in the fact that they could not get us into a better unit. We are timeshare owners of a “lock-off”, which is basically a junior suite and a one-bedroom suite combined. The unit we got was much smaller than ones in the past. Although we tried for the first 2 days to get a larger unit, we ended up deciding it wasn’t worth the hassle.

One of the big differences from 5 years ago is the lack of “Agua Purificada” signs above the vanity sinks. What? They always used to be there. Did the water suddenly become “unpurified”? We always drank the water out of those faucets in the past without issues. Now it seems they want to sell you purified bottled water. Us being loco gringos, we don’t know any better, and certainly would not want to get Montezuma’s revenge! When you ask for an explanation, they, of course, recommend buying the bottled water.

All in all we enjoyed ourselves very very much once we settled in. The resort is maintained well, and staff is helpful and friendly.

By the way, I should mention that the average age of the people staying at El Cid Marina was probably 55 to 60. Not that I’m complaining; it makes for a quiet, relaxing vacation. :-)

Room Tip: I would avoid higher level floors, unless you want a view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
3 Thank DLandDL
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Dear: DLandDL

Thank you for your honest opinions on your recent stay.
We are very fortune to be able to live in such a great city Such as Mazatlan, it’s a great city full of beautiful beaches and culture there is always something to do from visiting our Island such as Deer Island and Stone Island to visiting such amazing architecture buildings such as our cathedrals down town, I’m delighted you felt safe here and we to hope that the cruise ships come really soon so they too can explore Mazatlan and know there is nothing to fear. I regret you were not pleased with your stay and the resort did not live up to your expectations. We have been working on some renovations on our rooms but it unfortunate you were not able to see our improvements. We recommend bottled water because it is a much safer and more sanitary way to drink waters also to insure it is 100 percent clean and purified, but I’d like to mention that if you have an all inclusive plan you do not need to purchase water it is free the only water that has a charge are the 2 water bottles in your room this is only because it is part of a foundation we have here at the hotel, We put a little note on the bottle that explains it all as well as the coffee in the room. We always strive to make sure each stay as close to perfection as and we will continue to work hard in this direction.

Cordially,

Isaias Gomez.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
Langley City, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Marina El CID from November 16 to Dec. 01, 2012 and from check-in to check-out we were treated like ROYALTY!
The resort took care of the wonderful transportation from the airport (mid-day and air conditioned) and after a seamless check-in and issuance of our elite AI bracelets by the ever-so-helpful Rogelio, we were taken to our 2 BR suite by the amazing porter "Israel" on the 3rd floor which both overlooked the pool and the marina with a spectacular 200 degree view! What a helpful and friendly person! Our concierge "Jorge" was always ready to please whenever we needed something, required a reservation or just needed to ask a question. Dining was amazing with a different twist on flavours every meal... and you have not lived until you have a Mexican coffee prepared by "Xavier" (a work of art!) who is the go-to guy in the resort for food, drink or specially prepared items of any kind.
Senior staff members Jacob and Ernesto can and will move mountains for you and provide you with a vacation experience second to none.
Pool activities were plentiful with 2-3 hours of volleyball every day with people from all over the world and Anarely, Arlete and Mariza provided exercises, activities and wonderfully enchanting conversation with genuine smiles at all times. Pool service was OUTSTANDING and Miguel and Abraham are so nice and provide such excellent service that we wanted to adopt the both of them and Anarely and Arlete!
If you go in late November, we participated in 2 turtle releases (one at the El Moro and the other at Marina) which was a highlight of our trip.
When we were there, the president of Mexico arrived for a stay and the staff ensured that there was a little disruption for the guest as possible. As well, the resort garnered "the cleanest resort in Mexico" distinction during our stay - and they deserve it! Amazing meals, plentiful sunshine, amazing scenery, fireworks (this is a major wedding destination) and an ideal location are all tied together by the most wonderful people, staff and service. I have no idea what others say about safety in Mexico....we walked the beaches, the town and resorts of EL CID in Mazatlan and never had an incident of any kind.... our home town of Vancouver is far more dangerous! We will be back to sun, service and smiles again this November... but this time for 3 weeks! Thank you EL CID Marina!

Room Tip: I prefer the 3rd floor as there is no-one above you. We are very early risers and are mindful of tho...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank AndyandJo-Ann
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Dear: AndyandJo-Ann

Thank you very much for the thumbs up on our resort, we value everyone’s thoughts and perception, I am so pleased to hear that from the moment you walked in to the resort you were treated as you should be like Royalty we want nothing more than to make our guest feel as comfortable as possible in attending their every need. Rogelio as well as the rest of the staff you previously mentioned will be giving the recognition they deserve for the outstanding service I’m glad they were a big impact on your stay. As far as the activities here in our hotel it sounds like you really enjoyed they and our turtle release are always a fun new learning experience. It’s great that you enjoyed our food as well as our traditional coffee. We are indeed a wonderful escape for those coming from afar or even a few miles away and its good that you found
Mazatlan to be safe it’s a wonderful city . We appreciate your wonderful comments and we can´t wait to host you again we will be waiting here at your “Home away from Home”.

Inverness
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

This was my second time staying at this wonderful hotel. My family celebrated ten glorious days here with first class service. My father is disabled and uses a motorized scooter to get around. The staff was more than accommodating and went out of their way to help him/us enjoy his stay. I'd like to personally thank Ramon at the pool for his great service, Rojelio at the front desk for being so gracious and helpful, Jose and Pedro for helping arrange things and for helping my Dad with his scooter, Daniel who gave us fantastic service in the bar area and who brought down our meals from the restaurant above since my father could not walk up the stairs to the restaurant, and Victoria at the Marina restaurant for making breakfast time so enjoyable. The food and sheer amount of choices was excellent. The service we received was first class! We had three one bedroom suites booked and each room had a large balcony. Our rooms were meticulously cleaned everyday and we found the housekeeping staff to be very friendly. A shout out to the room service guys who made several trips to our rooms with delicious meals and ice cream! I will return for a third stay and I encourage anyone who is planning a vacation in Mexico - especially Mazatlan - to stay at the El Cid Marina Beach Hotel.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank worldtraveler77240
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear: Worldtraveler77240

We would like to thank you for choosing El Cid Marina Beach Hotel as a place to stay with your family for a party of 10 days!

It’s so pleasant to read your experience was a positive one and our team was helpful and courteous to help you in any needs you could have. Ramon, Rogelio, Jose, Pedro, Daniel and Victoria received a great mention for their hard effort!

We were absolute delighted to read key points that have made our guests stay enjoyable and I appreciated the comment about the F&B, our comfortable rooms, great views, and maid service exceeded your expectations.

We can’t wait having with us again in your 3th visit for a more great experience.

Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

This was the first time we visited Mexico and the resort has excellent :
shuttle service/valet service
food/food servers
security
concierge (above excellent)
housecleaning
pools/pool servers
Without a doubt we will return.We had a great time!

Room Tip: Pool/Marina Front
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
2 Thank Durwood755
Dear: Durwood755

We really appreciated your encouraging words and taking the time to write these positive comments!

The most pleasing aspect of your review was in regards to your interactions with our staff; customer service is what we pride ourselves in and we are pleased that we were able to make your stay more comfortable and pleasurable.

We look forward to welcoming you to the hotel this month and I do hope I have the opportunity of meeting you.

Cavan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I've just returned from a 10 night family holiday to El Cid Marina and it was more than I could have hoped for. Everything from start to finish was just wonderful. The accommodation was very spacious, we had a one bedroom suite with an adjoining junior suite which gave us plenty of space for our family of five. Upon arrival to our room we had a welcome letter with a beautiful bowl of fruit. We opted for the all inclusive option and found the food and the choice of food to be both plentiful and delicious. The staff throughout the hotel were very friendly and helpful and always had a smile on their faces. There was entertainment all day long at the shallow pool with lovely friendly entertainers, a special thanks to Marcella for the aqua aerobics!
Both the pools were spotless and the grounds beautifully maintained.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Irisheyes21
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear: Irisheyes21

Wow! What a pleasant review. Thank you so much for choosing our Hotel on a Party of 5. We are extremely delighted that you feel your stay with us and our service was excellent! Our many amenities, comfortable accommodations and prime location are unbeatable!

It is great to receive all feedback from past guest experiences and your comments truly reflect our daily efforts to be the best in all we do. I will share your comments with our staff especially thanks to Marcela from activities team.

If there is anything we can do to make your stay more enjoyable, please don’t hesitate to let any of our staff members know how we can make your stay even better.

Sincere thanks for being our guest and we very much hope to welcome you back soon.

Post Falls, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

My two young children and I just had a fabulous 8 night stay at the Marina. All of our expectations were exceeded. The room was spotless every day, the pools crystal clear, & the grounds very well maintained. The staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome. Sadly, we decided to spend our 2nd week at another El Cid property, the El Moro beach hotel. What a mistake that was! We were very disappointed. The service & quality was severely lacking. We wanted to move back immediately. Next year we will stay at the Marina for our entire 2 week stay. The staff at the Marina really seem to enjoy their jobs & the guests. The environment is fun, yet peaceful & safe. This hotel is perfect for both older adults and groups with young kids.

• Stayed June 2013
4 Thank jeninidaho
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear: jeninidaho

Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion on Tripadvisor.com following your recent visit with us.

It is so nice to hear that our efforts are appreciated and we truly wish to thank you for taking the time to reward us with your kindness. On behalf of the staff thank you so much for being our guest and for showing your appreciation.

Your comments about your experience at El Moro Hotel were already addressed. We continue to make updates and improvements to the hotel and value the feedback. Comments may not always be positive but allow us to evaluate and make decisions based on our guest’s feedback.

Please let us know when we have the privlege of having you back! If there is anything I can do for you during any future visits, please do not hesitate to ask for me. I look forward to seeing you at our hotel again soon!

WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

I have been inviting friends and family to stay at the marina Elcid for many years. Going on our 12Th year with frequent trips each year. This year was of concern to my friend who had two special needs children. One with low vision and the other post liver transplant. The second child also has many food allergies. The needs list was given to Jorge. Wow! What a great guy. He made sure everything was fine. One of the kids ended up with an ear infection. A doctor appointment was made and meds prescribed. The rooms were always cleaned well each day. Anything extra needed and it was accommodated straight away. Roberto, one of the bell boys, did a great job with the kids as did Israel and Fredy. Fredy helped the family so much with translation and finding resources. The second group of my friends also stayed at the marina and were treated so well. Fidel and Edy were awesome to the kids at the pool. Thank you to everyone at the marina. Once again, both sets of families had a great time. You guys rocked accommodating up to 9 people for meals, transportation etc. Sadly, my first group of friends had to travel back home to Washington. My second group had to move to the el Moro. I do not have many nice things to say about that transition. I do not believe that hotel targets repeat customers. Can't imagine anyone wanting to go back. Please read that review if you are interested in el Moro.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank placid1Wa
Dear:placid1Wa

First and for most I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review and for recommending us to your family and friends, this is so important to us for it helps others come and enjoy of our facilities as well as our wonderful City Mazatlan. I am definitely proud to have such hard working employees who always go that extra mile to make our guest stay as accommodating as possible, Jorge, Robert, Freddy, Eddy, and Fidel will be giving the recognition they deserve for their outstanding customer service I appreciate your observations on our hotel we work hard in having our hotel in its finest conditions there is always room for improvement we always take everyone commented into consideration it is an essential process that allows us to grow and just keep getting better each and every day . We hope this is a go on process and you keep on coming back we are always glad to assist.

My best,