“Another Great Time in Mazatlan at the El Cid Marina”

El Cid Marina Beach Hotel
Ranked #1 of 79 Hotels in Mazatlan
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Portland, Oregon
“Another Great Time in Mazatlan at the El Cid Marina”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

We just got back from another great time at the El Cid. From the day we got there to the day we left we were treated like royalty. We absolutely LOVE THIS PLACE AND THE PEOPLE. We love Jose Ramon the bellman, Rogelio & Jorge at the front desk, Ramon, Javier, Francisco, Victoria, Edy, Angel,Caesar in the restaurant, Miguel, Abraham and everyone at the Calypso pool, the activities team, Maritza, Marcella, Caroline & Jaime, Fidel, Eddy, Alberto, Ramon(new guy) Renado, Gerardo and everyone else at the Iguana Pool, Carlos & Dann at the Marina bar. They just make our trip fantastic and a vacation to remember. I can't forget Juan. Also the maids who do such a great job and the whole staff there. They are all our friends and we look forward to each trip. This was our 6th year and we will be back next year. We can't say enough good things about thie wonderful hotel and the wonderful staff they have there.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear: Sir/Lady

Wow! Thank you for the great review! We really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience in such detail.

I am so glad to hear about your stay and am happy that is was great! Thank you for the kind words about our team. I love to hear great feedback like this. It is great to hear the service you received met your expectations and thank you for particularly naming the staff who works hard to ensure all of our guests are happy. I feel proud to know how lucky we are to have them working at El Cid Marina.

When travelling brings you to Mazatlan…please feel free to contact me anytime, my team and I we are more than happy to assist to you once again.

Isaias Gomez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (509)
Meridian, Idaho
Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

Traveled here with friends and had the best time. The staff was absolutly wonderful and extremely friendly. Avi, was especially great. He made friends and even taught some spanish to our friends 8 year old daughter. It is a little ways to town but they do have a free shuttle to its sister resort closer to town

Stayed September 2012
2 Thank ryanandkeriontheroad
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Dear: ryanandkeriontheroad

What a wonderful comment! We appreciated the time to post this amazing review about your recent stay at El Cid Marina.

I´m absolutely delighted to read that your found our friendly staff in Avi, we are proud to having him working for El Cid, I will pass this comments to our staff for let them know the result of a excellent work.

Thank you so much for trust in us and let us be part of your vacation.

Greetings from sunny beaches,

Salvatore Sanchez
Chicago
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Let me start by saying this was my second trip to this resort as my first trip several years ago was amazing so we decided to go back again. We never visit the same resort twice but this was the exception as we had such a good time the first time.... it wasn't terrible but it wasn't the same as it was last time... this time was just average.
The food was good - pretty much the same as last time. Breakfast was our favourite. The dinner buffet was not good at all... but buffets usually aren't.
We loved the bellboys, the maids and the front desk staff, however one thing that was lacking this time was in the entertainment staff department. Last time we were there our kids (aged 12-18) had a great time and made friends with the entertainment staff. There were staff members from all over the world and they were amazing at making conversation and keeping our kids (and us) entertained with games and sports. This time, however, all the entertainment staff seemed to only be from Mexico and didn't speak that much English. They didn't interact with us the same way the international staff did last time and our kids were disappointed and just bored really... This was kind of what put a huge damper on our whole trip. If you have kids, you know if they aren't happy - you cant be either! I wish they would have had a more diverse entertainment team that spoke better english.
Other than that they did work hard and seemed to do their jobs well I was just expecting a more personable experience.
The rooms were clean and comfy. The A/C worked well and we had one issue in our bathroom with the sink and it was resolved same day.
I am not sure if I would go back to this resort again, but if it was a good as the first time I would in a heartbeat. I will keep an eye on the comments to see if other people mention anything else before I book here again... I might consider coming back if it just my husband and I but i cant see that happening in the next 10-15 years!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Andrea R
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear: Andrea

It was a pleasure to welcome you in your second visit to El Cid El Marina Beach Hotel and our duty to give service. It was great to read your kind observations & I am delighted that you and your family had a comfortable stay. All of the team are committed to delivering fantastic levels of customer service and will really appreciate your comments.

I'm surprised the negative comments towards activities team, They are always offering entertainment with a variety of activities, I'm sorry that was not in your case, I really concerned about the situation about your recent comments, I will be reviewing them in detail with the management team. It is my primary goal to ensure that guests fully enjoy all aspects of their stay at the hotel, to enable me to identify where improvements can be made in these areas, thus ensuring that all guests have an exceptional stay.

We do care about feedback, and we do act in order to follow their indications, as yours. That´s why I´m thanking you once again. But we are confident that after we managed on finding a proper solution on the spot, the rest of your stay had been nice, since that is the only let down I understand from your review.

That being said, we assure you that your experience wasn't that you expect and we humbly ask for an opportunity to prove this to you during your future travels to Mazatlan.

Best Regards

Manitoba
Reviewed February 5, 2013

This resort is quite simply the best one in Mazatlan. The location at the Marina is quiet and far enough away from the busier resorts in the Golden Zone to make it just right.

A shuttle can be taken to the other El Cid properties any time you should want it.

The resort is wonderful! Sen. Isaias Gomez and Sen. Armando Lizarraga are fantastic. They both took very good care of us and personally checked with us to ensure our stay was wonderful. Which of course, it was...and always is!

Upon arrival, we were upgraded to a one bedroom suite, which was very much appreciated! The service at Marina is exceptional!

Lupita took very good care of us in our room and made a point each day to say hello and make us feel welcome. Building A is our favorite, but really, there is not a bad spot in the entire resort!

At the restaurant, Edy is quite simply the best! Over the last couple of years, we have become friends with him and enjoyed hearing about his newest grandchild. The service is first class, not only from Edy, but from the other restaurant staff as well. A full menu is also ready if you do not wish to eat off of the buffet, but whatever you choose, the food is incredible!

Bravo to Mr. Gomez for his amazing ability to staff this property.

The gentleman on the piano in the evening is a welcome change to listen to and the gentleman and his son who come to paint and sell local landscapes of Mazatlan are wonderful to speak with after dinner. I brought two pictures home with me too!

Jorge in the lobby was always there for us when need be and always had a smile and a good word!

Josue at the swim up bar is quite simply amazing! We have gotten to know him over the last couple of trips and really enjoy seeing him! Ricardo at the beach also always takes good care of us! Always a smile on both of these two!

Arturo in the shuttle always had a story and gave a wonderful tour as he drove of the surrounding property and El Cid golf course and the beautiful homes in the area.

There were other staff members too, we just didn't get their names...but no worries, you are always in good hands at El Cid Marina! Over the years, we have made many friends that we meet with at El Cid Marina and that we get to see them again when we go back!

El Cid Marina is truly our "home away from home". If you have a chance, you really should visit Mazatlan and the El Cid Marina. I just can not wait to go back!

Jenn & Darryl
Room 512 - Building A

Room Tip: Building A is amazing!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear: willowsgirl

What’s most important to me and my team is to make sure each of our customers have wonderful vacations, this is our priority and I’m so happy to see that as it reflects in this comment. Thank you so much for your time and your congratulations about my staff; this can’t be possible if without my amazing staff.

We work day to day to create an atmosphere of relaxation and this is possible for the good relation that my team has, I’m so proud to having them working for us. Be assuring I will pass all your comments in our next meeting to each person you mentioned to let them know the result to an excellent job. Armando, Lupita, Eddy, Jorge, Josue, Ricardo & Arturo received a mention for this great labor.

I’m so happy to read that you enjoyed our service, the food and live music we had at La Marina restaurant,

I don’t have words to express, what emotive you review it’s to me, when you mentioned that El Cid Marina is your home away from home.

Again, thank you very much for your kind words and your loyalty. We appreciate it and the pleasure is all ours. We look forward to seeing you again!

My best wishes

Windsor, Colorado
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We all had a great experience in Mazatlan. The El Cid Marina was our favorite resort, but the El Moro is the place to go to use the beaches and eat breakfast at the La Concha and dinner also. We took the free shuttle to El Moro often. We opted to only do 2 days of all-inclusive, having the green bands on those days. There was confusion what color of bands were honored at certain places. One person in our party had a gold band for all week and it wasn't honored at La Concha or pool bar/restaurant FYI-just know ahead of time where your color of bands are honored. I saw 5 diff. colors of bands. We bought groceries at the Mega grocery store and ate out at Tony's on the Beach- great party, ask to do poppers to the song....1,2,3 who the f.....is alice? and had an amazing dinner at Pancho's. Great Shrimp dishes, the coconut was the best. What out for Rafeal the waiter, he is a funny guy. Be sure and order the Mexican Coffee. The best show we have ever seen by the manager. For sure eat at the Los Lapapes. Our group of 10 said this was the best dinner and show by far. Order the 'stone' dishes comes to table boiling hot, something you will never experience. The wait staff was incredible and loved all of us girls, This was my 50th bday dinner and I will never forget it!! Went to Senior Frogs after dinner til 2:30 am and had a blast. The staff had all of us girls laughing all night and dancing til we were sweating. Beware of going in small groups there tho- Single guys around not to sure of.
We had rooms on main level by iguana pool, close to hot tubs was perfect. Rooms 140, 141, 142, 143. Rooms 142 and 143 had better views.Rooms were big, nice frig, great beds, clean. Discovered since we booked thru RCI we really didn't have the priority as the El Cid Owners tho. The bldg furtherest away from lobby is bldg A. They are not numbered as I read on reviews. I asked the Bellboys and that is for sure what they told me. Why the shuttle ride is free form airport is because the timeshare rep was on it to book your appts and supposeably cheaper excursions. We dealt with LuLu, she was nice at first but then after 9 of us booked 2 excursions apiece and 2 days each all-inclusive and 2 of us/owners in another Timeshare went to El Cid Breakfast presentation, LuLu kept hasseling the other girls in group to attend breakfast presentation to receive more discounts. My friends with me were very annoyed by her. We feel as a group of 10 we spent enough money and did not all need to attend their Sales Pitch. I am happy with my ownership elsewhere and can trade thru RCI anytime to visit ElCid. I didn't need to spend thousands of Dollars on this trip to be a member there. Be assertive and once you give them anytime they keep hounding you and make you feel like you already committed to buy. My mom and I really liked Fernando as a Manager of the Timeshare sales reps, but as soon as we didn't commit to come back and talk to him the third time, he gave us the cold shoulder and wasn't friendly at all. That is a shame because we spent alot of money at your resort and will tell our friends here in Colo. how great it is, just BEWARE of the Sales personnel!
Hats off to the Bellboys and maids at Resort, they all were so friendly like family. Avi the bellboy has worked at resort for 12 yrs. Ask him anything you need to know- tell him hello from the Colo. Girls with Grandma and he will know us. I recommend the Tequila Factory Tour and Stone Island. Both of these tours were the highlight of our trip. Some of the girls in our group went fishing and caught a Marlin. That was amazing too. The resort cooked up some of it in a few different ways for all of us to eat. I highly recommend coming to Mazatlan and staying at resort, but take advantage of the free shuttle to El Moro and eat breakfast at La Concha, the view and food are superb. One last tid bit, avoid the buffet in lower level of El Moro for Night Activity show. Was Sunday pm. Food was terrible.

Room Tip: 142 and 143, good views, easy access to pool and jacuzzi. End units with best views in bldg A are f...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank LuanneMartin
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear: LuanneMartin

Congratulations for your 50th birthday, one of the most important and anticipated occasions in life. I wanted to follow up with you personally, as you are a most valued client and I appreciate receiving your feedback.

I am glad you found the hotel charming, in a great location and the staff was nice. I could not agree more. In addition, I know the staff will be truly happy that they made a positive impact on your stay. Avi especially will be grateful.

We naturally are delighted to hear that you have totally enjoyed your visit and that you experienced the unique pleasure of the restaurant in Mazatlan; your referrals are very important to us to encourage our staff and us. All your suggestion will bear in our mind in the future in order to improve our quality and services for our guests.

The issues you highlight are easy to rectify and should not have happened. Too many of us dropped the ball and the result is that you did not get the proper El Cid experience. I am very sorry about this and hopefully if you do decide to return you will see that this was a once off. I spoke with Tere and Fernando to inform the right way to reach people without pressure. I have passed on your comments to the sales team and they will take them on board to ensure that this does not happen again.

We hope to see you again in the not too distant future…hopefully when you celebrating your next birthday.

Best Regards,

El Cerrito, California, United States
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We spent a wonderful 2 weeks at the el CID marina beach hotel in Mazatlan in January. The hotel was the most accommodating, polite, helpful that we could have asked for. Of course we went on several tours and some of our own exploring of this marvelous area. The weather was a little cool, but still great! Rogelio at the front desk was most patient with us and helpful. Of outstanding note was Jorge V. He was always upbeat, the host with the most, helpful in so many ways and made us feel like we were special..I would go again and again..and we will!

Room Tip: We like to make our own coffee, etc. so a partial kitchen is good.
1 Thank Gayle E
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear: Gayle E

Great review, thank you very much! We are so delighted to read your comments on our quality of service. We are also pleased that you recommended our hotel's location and the surroundings.

I love that you found a great service providing from Rogelio and Jorge, be assure I will pass your comment to my staff I’m sure they be recognized for they efforts. If you ever have a inconvenient, please contact me directly so that I can take immediate action. We want to maintain your loyalty and ensure that you always see us as ‘5 stars.’

Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me before your next visit so that I can personally ensure the positive outcome of your next stay also. I know you live very far away, but hopefully your positive experience with us will result in a return trip to us and the city of Mazatlan.

Warm greetings,

New Smyrna Beach, Florida, United States
Reviewed February 4, 2013

My first trip to Mazatlan and an El Cid resort. The resort itself is very nice. It's quiet and very well maintained. The staff are all very friendly. I'd say they are very grateful that we visited. The food is pretty good, but not great. However, breakfasts/brunch are the speciality, and well done. All of the tourist areas of Mazatlan are only a quick pulmonia ride away, so being at the quiet, north end of town was just fine. El Cid has a very nice, safe beach that is reached by taking a pontoon boat across the canal. It sounds like a hassle, but it isn't.

Room Tip: Ground-level rooms facing the marina have easiest access to the grounds.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Art M
Dear: Art M

Thank you for all the wonderful comments regarding your first impression of El Cid Marina. It was a pleasure for my staff and I to take care of you during your while visiting Mazatlan.

I am pleased that overall you had a nice stay, to know your enjoyed our food and had the time to take a Raite in pulmomonia around Mazatlán. I would like to let you know that we do take all comments and use them in our weekly management meetings.

The positive comments you left will help other travelers find us and feel confident that they are choosing a wonderful place to stay. We hope your travel plans will bring you back to our house again one day.