“Mazatlan trip”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
El Cerrito, California, United States
“Mazatlan trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

We spent a wonderful 2 weeks at the el CID marina beach hotel in Mazatlan in January. The hotel was the most accommodating, polite, helpful that we could have asked for. Of course we went on several tours and some of our own exploring of this marvelous area. The weather was a little cool, but still great! Rogelio at the front desk was most patient with us and helpful. Of outstanding note was Jorge V. He was always upbeat, the host with the most, helpful in so many ways and made us feel like we were special..I would go again and again..and we will!

Room Tip: We like to make our own coffee, etc. so a partial kitchen is good.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gayle E
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear: Gayle E

Great review, thank you very much! We are so delighted to read your comments on our quality of service. We are also pleased that you recommended our hotel's location and the surroundings.

I love that you found a great service providing from Rogelio and Jorge, be assure I will pass your comment to my staff I’m sure they be recognized for they efforts. If you ever have a inconvenient, please contact me directly so that I can take immediate action. We want to maintain your loyalty and ensure that you always see us as ‘5 stars.’

Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me before your next visit so that I can personally ensure the positive outcome of your next stay also. I know you live very far away, but hopefully your positive experience with us will result in a return trip to us and the city of Mazatlan.

Warm greetings,

Isaias Gomez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (470)
New Smyrna Beach, Florida, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

My first trip to Mazatlan and an El Cid resort. The resort itself is very nice. It's quiet and very well maintained. The staff are all very friendly. I'd say they are very grateful that we visited. The food is pretty good, but not great. However, breakfasts/brunch are the speciality, and well done. All of the tourist areas of Mazatlan are only a quick pulmonia ride away, so being at the quiet, north end of town was just fine. El Cid has a very nice, safe beach that is reached by taking a pontoon boat across the canal. It sounds like a hassle, but it isn't.

Room Tip: Ground-level rooms facing the marina have easiest access to the grounds.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Art M
Dear: Art M

Thank you for all the wonderful comments regarding your first impression of El Cid Marina. It was a pleasure for my staff and I to take care of you during your while visiting Mazatlan.

I am pleased that overall you had a nice stay, to know your enjoyed our food and had the time to take a Raite in pulmomonia around Mazatlán. I would like to let you know that we do take all comments and use them in our weekly management meetings.

The positive comments you left will help other travelers find us and feel confident that they are choosing a wonderful place to stay. We hope your travel plans will bring you back to our house again one day.

Alberta Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

If you're destination is Mazatlan in 2013 then this is one of the nicer resorts to choose from. However, if you're destination is open to other locations in Mexico I would rate it much lower.
If you are not a 'foodie' then you will say the food at this resort is great. And, for those who know food, it's average food not great cuisine.
The rooms are clean, beds new and comfy and resort is meticulous about their grounds keeping. The beach is very nice at the partner resorts and the pools are a fun day for lazing in the sunshine.

The whole area was very popular some years back but I think these days are now gone. There were tourists in town, but by no means a hustle bustle kinda place. This area is more of a relaxed retirement area than it is a young persons resort area.

Once you leave the 'beaten' path you need to have your wits about you. This is a very impoverished town and although food and beaches are everywhere all areas are filthy, riddled with pests and beggars. If you have a stomach to navigate this, then adventures can be found in the food and people but if you prefer to travel in a resort town, this may not be the place for you.

Overall a nice week to waste a week on the beach in the sunshine. The resort is worth a stay. There are plenty of activities to do in the safety of the resort, parasailing, deep sea fishing, snorkelling and island tours.

The resort gives you free access to the amenities of all three resorts in the El Cid family with free shuttle between at any time. Its super convenient and the staff are very accommodating at all locations! The reservation only restaurants book up long before the seating does so I suggest that you book one per night as soon as you arrive so that you can experience them all. (Except the sushi, as most who have eaten there say its not good at all. We opted out after all of the grave reviews) Breakfast at the El Cid resorts are all good and as per usual you can't go wrong with a all inclusive omelet!

Try the guacamole and chips pool side ~ Mmmm.

Room Tip: Most rooms face the marina. Most decks are small so you'll want to be poolside to get the most o...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank ladygolfr
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear: Lady

I really appreciated your recommendation, and appreciation to our Hotel.
We work hard to be better day to day for try to be excellent in service, I consent that is a great labor but with the comments and suggestions of our customer we going to the right way.

I’m glad to read you found clean and comfortable room, as well our grounds in good stay, that you can enjoyed our beach and pools in our three resorts and try some activities like parasailing, deep sea fishing, snorkeling and island tours. We select the best staff to providing safe and fun activities.

We have a challenge which that is be the hotel of your choice, and any one come to Mazatlan stay with us .

Thank you so much for your Kind review the best reward it´s be recognizing for our customers, in a future you decided to come Mazatlan, feel free to contact me will happy assist you.

Cordially,

Benicia, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

Have been here twice with my sister's time share, and this place is really nice... Great pool and grounds, and you can go and swim at the other El Cid Hotels along the coast. This is the place to stay, as it is peaceful and just off the crazy main beachfront. Say hello to the iguanas for me!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank TharinW
Dear: Tharin W

Your amazing comments are our support to improve our service. It’s glad to know this is your second time with us and we keep providing the same level of service.
I really want to thank you for your recent review and I will hope to stay with us in your 3rd time.

Warm greetigs,

North Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

My husband & I once again stayed at the El Cid Marina in Mazatlan and this time we stayed for 7 weeks. Adding a little each year. The food in La Marina Restaurant was wonderful, the staff exceptional and the music great. Sunday brunch is not to be missed serving sushi (thank you Aaron) and paella one of my favorites. Lupita does an excellent job with the omelets. I can't say enough about the pool bar staff. They do everything to make your stay wonderful. The activity group is always trying to find new things to keep everyone interested such as salsa making, sushi making, painting and darts along with the usual water volleyball. The hotel brought in the children from the Salvation Army orphanage to sing & dance just before Christmas. This was well received and enjoyable. I look forward to seeing them again next year when we plan to stay even longer. There was no indication of any violence in Mazatlan so I hope with some good words from other tourists people will start to return to this lovely location. The beaches are fantastic, uncrowded, long and beautiful. We also went fishing with good success this year. Migel who is charged of the Aries fleet was a great help. We just can't say enough about all the staff, front desk, bars, cleaning and all.

Room Tip: Bottom floor room have very large patios but see the most traffic of people and golf carts used to t...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Donna A
Dear: Lady

Warm greetings for the sunny beaches of Mazatlan. I don’t have words to tell you what this means to me, its grateful read reviews like yours. Thank you so much for wonderful words about El Cid Marina.

It’s glad to see that you enjoyed your stay during these 7 days in the best company, with your husband we feel special for how nice picture.
Feel free to contact me in the future you decide come to Mazatlan either way come to celebrate anniversary, rest or just fun. Aaron, Lupita, Miguel and I will be happy to assist you.

My best wishes,

Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

We usually go to the El CId near Cancun but wanted to try something different. It is difficult not to compare this property to that El CId Marina and Spa. If the Cancun resort qualifies as a 4 or 5 star, this Mazatlan El CId is no more than a 3.5 . The incredible esprit of the staff goes a long way, but the amenities just are not the same. In addition to the smiles and attentiveness of the staff, what we adored was the incredibly fresh cool sea air, the superb clean and beautiful beaches, the quality of the fruits and produce we could buy and a nearby italian restaurant which was top notch with a bargain price tag. Everything else was good to ok, so I would say "go."

This is one of 4 El Cid Properties in Mazatlan connected by a minibus. We chose this particular hotel for the view of the marina and because it was supposed to be the newest and nicest infrastructure. I would call the rooms very comfortable and clean, with the pools and jacuzzi just steps away. The beach is secluded and pretty quiet. -- If you want people watching and a sense of activity you need to take the shuttle to the beaches at the Moro Beach or El Ceiba resorts.

I would skip All inclusive and certainly the Platinum all inclusive unless you consume enormous quantities of alcohol and/ or want to play golf, and/or keep the kiddos in the kids camp (it looked nice but didn't seem very full) or of course if you get a deal. Otherwise do not waste money. Unlike Puerto Morales, there is no "club room with special staff, free tequila and newspapers. The restaurant is ok, especially for breakfast and prices are prettty much geared to US prices. However, the food preparation is heavy handed on salt garlic and marinade -- I would stick to the simple things and absolutely not order the lobster.

If you want to take it day by day, there is a coffee bar by the dock that has great, reasonable espresso, though they did not keep stocked with a lot of choices to go with it (ran out of cookies, stale muffins -- told it was because the owner was out of town but what a pity!!) The grocery is basically a convenience store with cookies, cereal, chips, juice beer, but you can walk a short way down the road from the other hotels for a bigger selection. Room service from the restaurant arrives quickly and they let us order off the restaurant menu rather than the "room service" menu.

It is difficult not to compare this property to the El CId Marina and Spa. If that resort qualifies as a 4 or 5 star, this one is no more than a 3.5 . The incredible esprit of the staff goes a long way, but the amenities just are not the same as at the other El Cid. I am very curious what to expect when they complete a new resort in Cabo -- in the meantime we will recomend this hotel to anyone who want to go to this part of Mexico. Otherwise, we shall be back in Puerto Morales next year.

One final note: I was lured to the member "update" by the local sales staff. The salesman seemed to assume that I could not do math, that I was not worldly enough to understanding that some Mexicans are blonde ... and was bordering on rude. I don't think that El CId members should bother unless they are truly curious -- for what I got (they would not honor a verbal promise that we could get a steep reduction on all inclusive) I would have rather stayed in bed.

Room Tip: Those rooms facing the Jacuzzi or rooms that are around the corner of that end building and facing s...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank jadorelesvoyages_11
Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

Spent a 4 day weekend with 2 other couples to celebrate our anniversaries. We stayed in a 3 br corner suite overlooking the harbor and the beach. Chose the all-inclusive option as we just wanted to stay around the resort and relax. Rooms have been updated, with new shower towers, fixtures, bedding. Comfortable bed with a pillow menu. The jacuzzi is saltwater now, and a perfect temperature. Closed at 9, but we had no problem staying longer although the heater turned off. The Marina restaurant breakfast was perfect- nice assortment of traditional Mexican foods, and could get made to order omelets. One member was vegan and all restaurants were able to accommodate their needs. Service at meals was slow at all restaurants- but we were in no hurry. Fitness center with good assortment of machines, had a massage which was comparable in price to other spas. Visited their other hotels by their free shuttle service for dinners. Quiet beach you taxi over to, great for morning walks. Perfect get away.

Room Tip: Building 4 or 5 great view, by adult pool and jacuzzi
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Debbie R
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear: Debbie R

I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us!
We are really appreciated you trust El Cid Marina Beach Hotel for let us be part of this special day such as your aniversary. We are working to provided a high standard’s selection as we always looking forward to offer to our guests a first class service meeting their expectations.
Then I would like to thank you for having taken the time to write these kind comments on this free forum of expression. We continuously strive to meet and exceed our guest’s expectations and we are delighted when this is achieved.
In closing, we do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you again in a near future for another wonderful stay.
Thank you again for your recent positive review.

My best wishes,