El Cid Marina Beach Hotel
Ranked #1 of 80 Hotels in Mazatlan
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We just spent a week at the El Cid Marina. It is part of a three resort complex including Marina, Moro and Castillo. We travelled freely between the pools, restaurants and beaches by a free shuttle. Each trip took only a few minutes. We attended a time share presentation (fairly easy and not overly painful) and received discounted "all inclusive", taxi ride to airport, and discounted tours. The all inclusive was AMAZING food! We could choose between 5 major restaurants and a half of dozen or so bars or beach food bars. Great food, beautiful presentation! Just beware that some restaurants have dress codes, limited times for non-owners, required reservations and days off. We figured it out and managed very well. The whole facility was spotless, and the pools were lovely. The weather was not as warm as we anticipated and the wind was cool. Could have used some warmer clothes for the evening. We took the local bus and did a self guided walking tour of the "old town". We met some of the Mazatlan volunteer aids. They wore blue shirts that have a logo indicating that. They were fun to talk to and gave out maps and helpful info. They were all expats from the US. Interesting day and we always felt safe. Another highlight was the turtle nest hatching. As we were walking along the beach north of the resort we happened upon a group of people watching turtles hatch out of a nest in the sand. Talk about a National Geographic moment! Those little guys just popped out of the sand and made their way down to the surf. They got tossed around a bit and then just disappeared into the ocean. What a experience. They do have a release program here and for $50 you can watch them release baby turtles, but we didn't need to do that. The time share street hawkers are really aggressive and persistent. If you do attend be aware that SOME (not all) have no scruples and lie, lie, and lie. Check things out carefully...if it sounds too good to be true then it probably is. Buyer beware. We also took a guided city bus tour ( that mostly was when they took you to designated shops and restaurants) and the Deer Island boat tour. No to the city tour ...yes to the Deer Island Boat as far as recommending. A great holiday and we would come again.

Room Tip: We chose a ocean view on the fifth floor. Very happy, great view with two sunny decks. The marina vi...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rvokvo
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Dear: Rovokvo

Your descriptive testimony of the impressions and wonderful rating of your recent vacation is dearly appreciated and we thank you for the kind review.

It is wonderful to learn that your expectations were more than met during your last stay. The level of service delivered is a reflection of the pride and dedication our staff takes in each of their duties and we are confident of being able to welcoming many more guests very soon.

I'm glad to read about your pleasant experience with the turtle release , we support this cause occasionally with a supported to aquarium Mazatlan, just for the pleasure of helping this endangered species. I'm pleased to know that you could enjoy the three hotels and what they have to offer, and each one had a pleasant experience.

I am however sorry to hear about the incident with the timeshare rep while outside, unfortunately it’s not much to do in this case, We can not intervene in the street, but we take care to not come to our area. We would like to offer our apologies for these experienced.

Again, thank you for your generous praise and suggestions. On behalf of all of us here, we look forward to serving you again in the future.

Isaias Gomez

Write a ReviewReviews (2,488)

Reviewed January 8, 2013

With out a doubt the most compelling aspect of Marina El Cid are the people that staff the hotel. Yes, the property is beautiful, the rooms are way better then average, the food is wonderful but it's the sincere friendliness and attention to service that makes Marina the extraordinary resort that it is. With me Marina is more of a state of mind then a place - I could go on and on and never convey my feelings toward Marina El Cid, you really need to be a guest here to understand.
John, Catherine and Linda

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank John G
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Dear: John G

I would like to thank you for your wonderful comments with regards to your recent stay with us. It was a pleasure to note how much you enjoyed your vacation and would like to take this opportunity to thank you. We appreciate all feedback; but, especially enjoy reading about the great experiences we help make in Mazatlan. I am also glad you found a great service providing to our staff as we work very hard and take pride in insuring proper good service of all our guest. We will pass along your wonderful experience to our employees as a job well done.

Greetings,

Salvatore Sanchez

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Have stayed at El Cid Castilla before and found the Marina a much better facility accomodation wise. The rooms are far better and I find the breakfast and snack bars are more personal. There is a heated pool with a swim up bar and another fantastic pool with slides and caves (not heated). My daughter and husband had no issues with the unheated pool and they played for hours snorkelling in the caves and jumping off the "cliffs." We took the water taxi (free) across to the private beach and had such a peaceful and fun time. Swimming in the sea and building castles and having uncluttered fun was amazing. There are vendors but a simple smile and no thankyou suffices if you do not want to buy from them. We would recommend you take advantage of booking into the a la carte restaurants. We were all inclusive and ate out at the Mexican and Argentinian. We also had the Christmas Eve banquet which was lovely. If you have kids and want the entertainment, there is a free shuttle to the El Castilla resort where you can eat and drink (and its all included). I also stay in Riu resorts and find the entertainment isn't as good as those resorts but it's still good to watch, they are fun. The pools at the Castilla are fun too if you want a more lively and full resort or if you just want a change. I went to the gym at the El Cid Grenada and there are tennis courts and a lane swimming pool for use (included). This is where the golf is if you want to play too (not included).

You cannot get bored here. The views, sunsets and atmosphere are second to none. Maid service was amazing and friendly. The heated pool bar service I found to be a lot more attentive than the cave pool bar, I think if you tip more you get more attention at the other bar which leaves a little bit of a bad taste in your mouth.

I paid $30 for wifi access for the week. It was intermittent and I heard that if you buy a coffee from the coffee shop, you get free wifi there. Depends on how much you want to check, it didn't bother me really, who wants to Facebook when you are in such a beautiful place.

We went to see cliff divers taking a pulmonary taxi - they are a lot of fun. Ask how much before you get in... The cliff dive is amazing (and very scary) to watch... I am still in shock! If you want souvenirs, this is the place to buy them too. My little one bought a keychain for her friend at $2, it was $8 at the hotel! It's also nice to shop with the local people of Mazatlan, especially now the cruise ships sail by (other resorts are more lucrative, they try to blame crime...) Such a shame and I hope they change that soon, it has affected downtown and the "buzz" somewhat.

Usually on all inclusive we wear the wrist band and thats it, we had to give our wrist band numbers AND room number at every meal and for every pool session we had drinks at... slightly annoying that after day three, the number rubs off your wrist band LOL! No biggy but worth mentioning. There are a lot of timeshare owners at the Marina and I did not see them get preferential treatment.. what it does mean is that the restaurants are less of a cattle market than usual resorts as many time share people eat in their rooms (we had a huge kitchen in our room!)...

Only negative for me was that as soon as we arrived, we were trying to board the cart with all of our luggage to get to our room and start our vacation when a timeshare lady (who are located in the lobby of all three hotels in this chain) hounded us with questions. It is obvious they are trying to get you to a meeting and I wish they would not insult your intelligence and tell your children of free trips they can have and free T Shirts. We were polite (she was only doing her job) but were worried we may get hounded our whole vacation - we didn't so that was good but would have preferred to arrive and go straight to our rooms!

I certainly did not want to come home at the end of my week stay, friendly service and a wonderful time was had by all..... So especially to our maid and the heated pool team - thank you so much for making our vacation such a great one (and the water taxi drivers too - lots of fun!!)

4  Thank Ruthiesid

Dear Ruthiesid

Wow!!! Thank you for such great feedback and for taking the time to write such kind comments. I’m glad Marina was better for you and your likes. El Cid has something to offer for everyone’s preference. Marina is quieter and secluded; an advantage you have staying in Marina is you are allowed to use all the facilities of the four hotels which are Castilla, Granda, and Moro as well as the club house as you previously had mention allowing each day to be something new. Im glad you were able to enjoy some of our a la carte restaurants maybe in a future visit you can come out and try some of our other restaurants like Alcazar(Italian) and ban-horu (sushi bar). It is such an honor that you choose to spend your holidays here with us and that we were able to make your Christmas a memorable one. We are very thankful to be able to live in such a wonderful city and enjoy all Mazatlan has to offer, Unfortunately the wifi does have a charger because the internet is an outside service for the hotel. As for the time the time share employees rest assure we have token your comment into consideration and have talked to them and have let them know to try and be more considerate with the guest. My apologies for this inconvenience. It was a pleasure to have been able to assist you, there is nothing more important to us than the satisfaction of the expectations from our beloved guests and knowing they go back home happy about their vacation is the best feeling.

Cordially,

Reviewed December 21, 2012

always enjoy the quiet comfort of the marina, beautiful views, relaxing breezes, private beach. wonderful staff are so helpful and courteous. Close enough to walk to other food and shopping venues. Staff for kids activities, movie night, able to watch the fishing boats bring in their catch.

1  Thank LindaRIowa

Dear LindaRlowa,

Thank you for your kind comments, Mazatlan has such beautiful scenery and we are lucky to be able to see them on a daily bases such as the wonderful sunsets of the beaches, I am very fortunate to have such great hard working staff I will most definitely congratulate them on their great work they will be thrilled to hear. We always try to come up with fun new ideas such as movie nights in the pool and Poker night so we can have all guest all ages participating so I am glad you enjoyed our activities.

Come visit us again soon!!

Reviewed December 21, 2012

The staff at El Cid Marina is very friendly the food is good and the service is GREAT. Can't wait to return. We loved the transportation between sister hotels it just couldn't be better. All their hotels are clean and neat.

Room Tip: You can't get a bad room. We had a room with a view of the marina. If you don't like to wa...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank bpackard

Dear,Bpackard,

Thank you for taking the time in letting us know how great your stay was here with us, and for your kind comments,
It is a pleasure to know we did our job and fulfilled our guests expectations and left them with a good feeling about their experience and vacation.
I’m glad our restaurants were at your taste we try hard to make sure everything is always in order and tasting good.

We hope to see you again in the future.

My best wishes,

Reviewed December 16, 2012

My wife and I just experienced the best time of our lives.The staff at El Cid Marinia ,from the Manager ,the Restaraunts ,to Roomservice, Maidservice and poolside were very friendly. Hats off to you all for being a great team! Hope to come back soon! "Hi Fidel and staff around the pool", miss you!

Room Tip: the oceanside rooms have spectacular view of the sunsets
2  Thank Dianne G
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2012

Dear: Dianne G

Thank you so much for let us be part for first time to your vacations. We couldn't agree more with your comments and are very proud of our staff, restaurant, Room service, maid service and pool side.
I hope that your feedback helps other Tripadvisor users make the right choice for their next trip to Mazatlan! Like you we hope to see you soon, and please let us know if we can be of assistance in the future.

Merry Christmas!

Reviewed December 14, 2012

I spend another vacation at Marina El Cid Mazatlan and really enjoyed my stay! I'm surprised how they can keep everything so nice even in this economic time. The just upgraded the washrooms at the pool areas and everything is nice and clean. I have to mention the friendly staff - from the simple maid up the the Manager - everybody seams to know you personally -(and many do!)
The Food in the restaurants is great and the Breakfast buffet is just mind boggling !
I will be back soon!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Canimlake_Rudy

Dear: Canimlake_Rudy

You are so kind to post this nice comment about from our resort telling us how wonderful were your holidays, thank you for the time you invested in submitting your experience.
We are privileged that you decided to spend your recent vacation at our resort, knowing that there are many options to choose from. El Cid Marina is becoming increasingly popular and we hope that many more travelers will become our loyal guests after your great feedback.
Your words are our best motivation and help us to keep on going in the right direction.

Happy holidays