“El Cid Marina Hotel”

El Cid Marina Beach Hotel
Ranked #1 of 80 Hotels in Mazatlan
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We spent one week In late August. We really enjoyed the property and all the activities available. Let's start with the rooms - the rooms were spotlessly clean, all tile floors. We were in bldg A, which had a great view of the ocean, the entrance to the marina, and one of the main islands known as the bird sanctuary.

The pools: on the marina property there were two pools, calypso and the iguana. Since we were in bldg A, we spent mornings and evenings here. The special thing about this pool are the caves and the rock formation that the kids can jump off of. Lot's of fun. Also, there is a hot tub, and many cabanas (ez-ups) that allow you to get out of the sun. The pool lives up to its name- there were many iguanas around.

The other pool was the calypso, which was shallower, and mostly warm. There were also crafts at this area for the kids. We only went to this pool for a change of pace.

There is beach access, across the marina, which requires a very short boat ride. The beach was clean, and had many palapas to sit under. The ocean water was warm, and had some good body surfing when the swell came in. Also, the sand was smooth, not coarse and rough. There was also nice bathrooms and a shower to rinse off after being in the ocean.

We also went to the El Moro and Castilla pools. The Castilla pool is much larger, but with no jumping off the rocks allowed.....the El Moro pool is more fun - due to the activities and Rock jumping. Enrique and Bruno got us engaged in exercise and darts, etc. There is also access to the ocean, which does have boogie boarding with nice waves and warm water. The guys at Aqua Sport were nice with Isaac giving good recommendations. We also took a surfing lesson from One Way surf shop (arranged with Isaac). Our lesson was given by Javier, and lasted for over two hours. We really enjoyed that part of the trip. We surfed nice easy swell, with sand bottom. Fun boards, water, rash guards, towels, were all included. Thanks to Javier for the great lesson and great fun.

Food- at each of the pools, there was standard fare, from seafood to burgers to steak (arrachera). All great to satisfy the hunger you get from doing nothing all day but swimming and relaxing! We generally had lunch at one of the pools or beach spot each day. Thans to Jesus, Alberto, Alberto, Ricardo, Miguel, and others for the great service!

Breakfast was also good with mostly buffet and tortilla and egg stations avaiable. We ate the Marina restaurant each day because of proximity to our room. The tortilla and omelette chef were really good - I can't remember their names though.

Dinner- we really enjoyed the El Patio - the Argentinian restaurant. We had a great waiter Jonathan who really took care of us. We ate there 4 times for the food and view and sunsets. Really nice.

WiFi was available across the entire property. 300 pesos for the week.

We did not do the time share presentation or any of the excursions besides surfing lessons. We did get the massage from Josefa, which was also excellent. We had ours outside near the Iguana pool/grill.

Front desk staff and the property management were also very attentive to our needs. Luis, Armando, Jorge, all friendly and professional. Also all the shuttle drivers were very nice as well, and bellhop named Avi. There were many others, just don't remember their names.

All in all great place, lots to do, very clean. Great service, great staff, great room. My family also really enjoyed it (kids 5, 7, 9). We would go back again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Lee A
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2012

I just want to say thank you for your wonderful review I was really happy to hear that your stay was so pleasant, and that you and your family had the opportunity to really enjoy the facilities and amenities that we offer. It was our honor to serve you. So thanks for your contribution to El Cid Marina!

We are excited to hear that you encountered during your stay, particularly in regards of the two pools Calypso and Iguanas, the ride to our private beach, the exercise with Enrique and Bruno from activities, food & beverage service from Jesus, Alberto, Ricardo, Miguel, Jonathan, and front desk staff Armando Luis and Jorge. We pride ourselves on extending the best quality of service to all of our guests and ensuring that they have a most enjoyable stay. So I will make sure to personally thank each of the staff who contributed to make your vacation unforgettable

I am happy that our staff was efficient in all. However, we strive to have a friendly, approachable staff in the same manner as in my opinion; efficiency goes hand and hand with friendliness.

Once again thank you for your generous comments with regards our facilities and our friendly staff. We are proud of it. However, we are also proud of the passion for service we generally display to the thousands of guests we have per year. Please contact me the next time you will be in town as I would like the opportunity of having you as our guest again.

Kind Regards

Isaias Gomez

Write a ReviewReviews (2,591)

Reviewed August 26, 2012

Wow. Let me say again...WOW!!! You won't regret choosing the Marina. And here are just a few of the reasons why-Luis( a special thank you) Jorge, and Armando at the front desk. Excellent prompt professional service. Attentive to all our needs. Francisco in the Marina main restaurant for breakfast. Avi the bellman was excellent. Miguel was quick and delightful at the calypso pool. Jesus (saw him every day and always so good) and both Alberto's at the iguana pool. Ricardo amazing at the beach club. And Jonathan at the El Patio Argentinian restaurant-he was so professional and so attentive we went there to eat three nights in a row just because of his service. Ask for him-he will take good care of you! These are just some of the amazing people who work here. Everyone we saw working from the grounds keepers to the housekeepers to the shuttle drivers to the other properties take great pride in their work and it shows!!
Now-for anyone in the US that may be unsure of the safety of this wonderful destination in Mexico: DON'T Be. It was so safe and secure. We took our three kids and even put them in kids care....all so very safe. We NEVER felt unsafe. You won't regret choosing mazatlan!! The sunsets here are unmatched. Truly beautiful and peaceful. Easy to go to the other properties. we liked the Moro property for the pool and the Mexican restaurant.
The pools are a blast. Our 9, 7, and 5 year old spent ALL week jumping off the cliffs and swimming in the caves. So fun!!! The private beach is sooooo nice. Anyone who complains of the two second boat shuttle over is crazy!! It is fun for the kids to hop on the boat and then you are there. The waves were fun to play in. My husband and nine year old arranged surfing lessons with a local surf shop (One Way Surf) with Javier. He was awesome with my son and they had a blast. Again, very very safe here!!! They went "off property" to some good surf spots and it was totally safe.
Our room was so clean and nice. The housekeeper did a great job cleaning. The view from our room of the Sea of Cortez was soooo beautiful. Hated to leave!!
We are already plannig a return here. We can't wait to see all the people listed. We are so thankful for your service and happy faces every day!! And if we left anyone out, we apologize. Truly everyone at el CID was a joy. Thank you for making our week so awesome.

Room Tip: All good rooms at marina!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank HBsurferwife

Dear: HBsurferwife

Wow..What splendid review..I don’t have words to express my gratitude for this nice comment. It is very pleasant the way, in which you describe our services, I hope other visitors take note of these recommendations and allows us be part of their vacations.

We are amazingly happy you were able to join us with you lovely family. I am glad to note that our convenient location, facilities and friendly staff exceeded your expectations, your review pretty much sums up the quality of service and product that we try to offer each and every one of our valued.

it is rewarding to note that our focus on consistency and efficient service is welcome and we will review our approach in delivery and make the necessary adjustments to add more warmth.

We hope to be The Hotel of your choice the next time you decide come to Mazatlan in order provide to you and your family another amazing vacation.

Regards,

Reviewed August 21, 2012

We had the best vacation ever! The staff went above and beyond. The grounds were lush and beautiful. The accommodations were excellent. We felt very safe on the Resort grounds and while out and about in Mazatlan.

Jorge coordinated everything for us, our fishing, sailing and sightseeing trips, spa appointments, stocked the refrigerator with our favorite beverages and brought in special treats for us each night. Daniel was the best waiter, the food was superb, especially the fresh shrimp dishes and he makes wonderful Mango margaritas. The transportation to the other El Cid properties was prompted and regular. Our room was clean and comfortable although the bed was a little firmer than I like.

We had such a great time that we hated to go home to our “peasant-like” life as we were treated like royalty at the El Cid Marina Hotel.

We love to travel and have had three wonderful weeklong trips in the last 18-months, visiting 10 countries. Our trip to Mazatlan was by far the best! It was an absolutely amazing trip! We highly recommend traveling to Mazatlan, Mexico and staying at the El Cid Marina Hotel. We can’t wait to go back.

Room Tip: Our room faced the jetty.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Eslingers
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Dear: Eslingers

Thank you not only for taken a few minutes of you valuable time to write a review, also for sharing such wonderful comment.

I love that you gave specific details; the way that you describe our grounds, accommodation, you room was always clean and you mentioned can feel safe in the hotel and while out in Mazatlan. I hope others do appreciate this as well. I am very proud to know from 10 countries has been in the world; Mazatlan is for far the best.

We are glad you appreciate our services and staff attitude, Jorge made a wonderful job taking care of our customers and making sure every detail during their stay, I am glad to tell him that their effort is reflected in this comment. Be assured that I will print your comments to Jorge, Daniel and the rest of the staff for their excellent job.

I would love the opportunity to welcome you to the hotel in your next visit to Mazatlán if you choose El Cid Marina and do not hesitate to contact me or any of the team members if we can be of any assistance.

Sincerely

General Manager.

Reviewed August 18, 2012 via mobile

Although had some problems with despegar.com the hotel was very good and the suite was big and clean, the staff was excellent. It has many places to go inside the hotel, great view at La Marina.
One point is that they do charge you for Wi-Fi which I think at this point should be free at any hotel.
Overall I would love to come back ;)

• Stayed: August 2012

Dear. Mr. Carlos P

It’s really good to know we meet your expectations, and even more the facilities and friendly staff contribute to make more enjoyable your vacations.

We will really appreciate your confidence vote one more time to El Cid Marina in your next visit to Mazatlan; we assure that you will receive the excellence and distinguished service.

We look forward to serve you very soon in our beautiful beaches of Mazatlan!!!

Best wishes,

Reviewed August 10, 2012

This is a great place to stay and the views are beautiful from the hotel. The only downside is that you have to go to other resorts or across the jedi to enjoy the beach. Other than that the pool is awesome and the staff is excellent at this resort. I would recommend this for most couples without children.

Room Tip: all of the rooms overlook either the pool or the ocean--if possible getting up a few floors gives a...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rob W
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2012

Dear: Rod W

Thank so much for giving us a few minutes of your valuable time to post a review about your experience at the El Cid Marina.

Regret the inconvenience that been for you to crossed to enjoy our beach and other facilities, in otherwise I am gladly to read most of our services and facilities were your complete satisfaction like the pool and the service provided by our staff.

This is a result of a complete team effort, and your comments are an inspiration to us all that really help make El Cid the success it is

Once again thank you for your recommendation in this way, we hope to see you soon and welcome you back to your house El Cid Marina.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

My Family and I spent a week on this hotel, my daugther(2), my niece(4) and my nephew(7) had a great time on one of the pools, the one with kids pool. The other was simply too deep for them.
Advantages
-Two pools
-Full Kitchen
-Pool Personnel. I was very pleased about the work Marcela and the pool team made to entertain kids. They got an A+

Disadvantages
-One of the pools, deep one, was too crowded and too noisy, if you are looking for a quiet place, don't select this or ask for a room far from the pools.
- Water Taxi, it takes between 20 to 40 minutes to get to beach, you need to walk to dock, and then wait for water taxi. Imagine that with three kids asking, when are we going to get the beach?
- There are no supermarkets, nor restaurants nor bars near hotel, you need to take hotel shuttle, a bus, a taxi or a "pulmonia".
- Pool temperature, can you imagine being at 105 °F and then get into the pool where the water is almost at the same temperature? It was really, really uncomfortable.
- Concierge Service, We were 8 grown up and 3 children. I asked her for a Van back to the airport, and she just said you should call a cab company. What? did anyone tell her about her duties? I finally got one with bell boys.
- Bad mattress, mattress at 133 room was really, really old. I could not get a good night of sleep.
- I could almost hear my up neighborgs talk.

Room Tip: Rooms between pools are better. Choose higher floors, ground level is too noisy.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2012

Dear, Luis y Claudia

Greetings from sunny beaches of Mazatlan!!!

We kindly would like to thank you for having the time to share your experience with us.
Our commitment is to work hard every day to offer high standars in service and accommodations. We know we are in a competitive market, for that reason we aim to excellence in every way, and our priority is not only satisfy their needs, it is exceed them. Accept my sincere apologize for any inconvenient this could cause you with the information has not been appropriate, our location don't meet your expectations, other way, thank you very much for letting us know our strengths and weaknesses highlighted these points, please be assured that we will start working on them.

I hope to give us the opportunity to serve you again in one of our Resorts

Reviewed August 8, 2012

Arrived April 7 for a 7 night visit, From the moment we arrived to the moment we left, we had no complaints and enjoyed everything that El Cid had to offer. We went the All inclusive route and had no complaints at all with the restaurant or any of the poolside kitchens. We met many great people whether it was joining the very friendly poker games in the bar with the locals (many good laughs with these people) the Dining experience with Rigo and the other servers (we'll certainly remember the fun times at the bars after with these guys) Jamie the entertainment director, good guy. The pools are clean, the caves in the quiet pool are fun, the 2nd pool had music and activites. You can take the 30 second boat shuttle over the beach and enjoy the day under the huts or right out on the beach (travelling salesmen are not bad here at all) The free rides to the other resorts is nice, 1 of them is right in Mazatlans 'Golden Zone' right close to anything you'd want.

Overall, we were impressed. I would recommend this place to anyone, it pretty much has it all. Singles, Families, Partiers, Retirees.

Thanks for the experience El Cid.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank BeerMan_76
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2012

Dear: BeerMan_76

I cannot express my gratitude for you review, you do know what you words means to me, It’s always nice to be recognized especially when you work hard for it. With pleasure I can read the service El Cid has to offer.

I’m so happy to know that you enjoyed the all inclusive package and meet your expectations, as well with the activities team you enjoyed their poker games and these activities served to other customers know each to other, all this is created by the friendly atmosphere with a good team. Be assured Jaime and Rigo will receive a mention for their great work.

My team and I can not wait to pamper you in your next time in El Cid Marina. Don't hesitate to contact me if you need any assist.

Best Regards,