2,099 results
All reviewscasa robertogolden zonejoe's oyster barocean viewshrimp factoryzip lineitalian restaurantbeach servicebeach areabeach vendorshotel restaurantopen airmain poolnorth sidecommon areasgreat beachall inclusive plan
Reviewed June 30, 2016

We arrived on a Monday at about 1:20 pm by car and the parking lot was almost full. If you happen to bring your car, make sure to arrive around 12 noon because that’s when people are checking out and there is a good chance that you will find a parking spot or else your car could spend the night on the street.

Check-in

From the time I got in line, it took about 45 minutes before I checked in and since they start handing out keys at 3 pm, I picked up mine at around 4pm so I wouldn’t have to wait in line another 45 minutes. One thing that was really nice though is that while I was in line, a waiter brought a tray full of non-alcoholic drinks to help the guests cool off.

Room

The room was nice. This hotel was built in 1955 but our room had been recently remodeled. I’m not sure if the entire hotel was remodeled but our room (185) was. It had the look and feel of a 4 star hotel room. We also needed a crib and they charge for those at a rate of about $5-6 dollars per day so if you have a baby and can bring your own play pen, that would save you some money. The air conditioner kept the room cool however, the thermostat did not work so at night, we had to keep the AC on all night because if you turn it off, then you start hearing noise from people walking to their rooms at night. My suggestion is that you ask the cleaning ladies for blankets because if you keep the AC on all night, it’s going to be cold and you could get a cold like my wife and I did.

Restaurants

This hotel has 3 restaurants. The main one is next to the beach and serves a buffet all day. The food there is okay and during the 4 days that we were there, they had enough variety to make sure that we enjoyed our food. They have an omelet station which is run by Claudia. She noticed that I didn’t have a plate after ordering an omelet so she quickly brought one out. Thank you for that Claudia! Also, I want to thank our waiter Julio who always took the time to greet us every morning, took our plates after we finished eating and always made sure that we never ran out of coffee. Kudos as well to the buffet manager who observed and let me know that one of my boys always followed me around every time I got up to get some more food from the buffet.
There is also a Mexican restaurant that is a la carte and it’s located at the very edge of the hotel close to the street. The food was good but just make sure that you order only as much food as you can handle because Mexican food has a lot of protein and I felt bloated when I came out of there. There is also a small seafood stand that’s right next to the buffet which I recommend. The Ceviche and the Tacos Capeados were delicious and I went there multiple times to get seconds, thirds, etc. There is also an Italian restaurant which I have heard is delicious but we were not able to go there. One thing that I suggest is that if you want to take the all inclusive option, at least give yourself 1 to 2 days without it so that you can try the local fare. For dinner, there is a hot dog stand that’s about a block away next to the Quality Inn that was jam packed every night and even the show dancers from the hotel ate dinner there. And there are many good restaurants around town that you can try. Just check them out on Tripadvisor.

Shows

There is a show that has is marketed every Tuesday morning at the buffet restaurant that has a whole bunch of Disney characters. Just FYI, if you want to sign up to attend a show, you have to go to the concierge starting at 11 am in order to sign up. So we went to the Disney show which includes a dinner buffet. The buffet begins at 7 pm and the show starts at 8 pm and runs until 9 pm. While the show included the Disney characters, that was only about 10 of the show. 90% of it was a bunch of people doing a show about Aladdin and I can tell you that they show a whole lot of skin for kids to be seeing a show like that. Had I known that beforehand, I would not have gone. If you’re marketing a show about Disney characters, then make all of the show about them. Anyhow, the show was more Vegas type with Cirque du Soleil type acrobatics where they hang from curtains and move around. Kudos to the person who played Maleficent and best overall performer to the person who played Aladdin, and thank you to the other waiter, Julio (there are 2 Julios that are waiters at this hotel). He greeted us when we arrived, always brought our drinks and kept asking if we needed anything else.
There is one show that to me is the best of them all, and that is Noche Mexicana. This one take place on Fridays and it’s full of Mexican folklore dancers as well as mariachis. I highly recommend it if you can find a room on a Friday night. Just a word to the wise, the Playa Mazatlan’s 400 rooms sell well in advance and weekends are highly coveted by people who come in tour buses from neighboring cities and states in Mexico so if you want a room on a Friday night during the summer, I suggest that you book this hotel at least 3 months in advance.

Grounds

One nice thing about the Playa Mazatlan is that it was built as a 4 story building compared to other hotels that are 10 to 15 stories high which means that you have more beach and swimming pool space than most hotels in Mazatlan. The hotel has 6 swimming pools. Two of them have water slides. One has a pirate ship and our kids loved the fact that they could swim in a new pool every day. We were lucky to get a room on the first floor right in front of one of the pools and I suggest that you request a first floor room when you reserve and to have the best chance a getting one, it helps to book as early as possible. That way, you allow the reservation staff to accommodate your request. Also, I have read comments from other guests that suggest that you request a room in the center of the hotel. Joe’s Oyster bar is right next door to some of the rooms and they say it gets noisy at night. If you want beach towels, there is a specific place that’s close to the buffet restaurant where you can get them. Just make sure you return them before checking out and that you present the receipt to the reception desk. The exterior of the hotel looks like a Mexican hacienda which I loved. It’s a very unique design that you can’t find anywhere else in Mazatlan. They have a lot of security guards day and night which makes you feel safe and it gave me peace of mind knowing that my vehicle was being watched.

Beach

The waves were pretty strong. So strong that they attract surfers. There were also jellyfish which my son was stung by but not seriously but I have heard of cases where a jellyfish sting can send you to the doctor and/or hospital so I wouldn't recommend that people swim in the ocean.

Currency Exchange

If you want to exchange your currency, make sure that you find a currency exchange place in your country of origin first and exchange some currency there first. You want to make sure that you don’t arrive in Mexico without pesos because everyone from the taxi driver to the souvenir shop owner and restaurants will try to take advantage of you by giving you a low to a very low exchange rate. Once in Mazatlan, to get the best exchange rate, you need to go to a bank. There is a bank called Banregio that is about 2 blocks away from the hotel. To exchange your currency, all they ask is that you take your passport and a photocopy of it which they will keep so make several copies just in case you have to go there multiple times. And the best way to pay is always by credit card because they will usually give you the best exchange rate. Just make sure your credit card doesn’t charge exchange rate fees. Also, make sure that when you pay by credit card that it never leaves your sight because one common practice in Mexico is the cloning or theft of credit cards. What I do to always remember that someone else has my credit card is that I keep my wallet in my hand until my credit card is returned.

Taxis

There is no free shuttle service to the airport from the hotel and a trip there will cost you about $20 U.S. dollars. Pretty much anywhere else that they take you around town, should cost no more than 100 pesos per one way trip. The hotel has a fee schedule in the reception area that I suggest that you look at closely so that you can have an idea how much taxis should charge you so that you can make sure that you’re not taken advantage of. Also, make sure that you ride on a Pulmonia. Those are white Volkswagen Beetles that look like popemobiles. Some even have music and you can ride open air around the Malecon which is the main street that’s next to the beach.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay. I think the Playa Mazatlan it is the best hotel for families in Mazatlan. The price we paid for the all inclusive feature was about half of what we would have paid in Puerto Vallarta, Los Cabos or Cancun. This is the #3 hotel in Mazatlan according to Tripadvisor, however, the other 2 hotels that are above this one, are either not geared for families or are far away from the bustling golden zone. We look forward to returning and telling our friends about this great hotel.

• Stayed: June 2016, traveled with family
7  Thank David L
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2016

Dear valued guest (DavidL)
We are thrilled to hear of your experience while staying at the hotel, it sounds like you were able to not only take advantage and enjoy the property, but as well tour the city and malecon to get a broader idea of what the destination is all about. It is always a good feeling to hear our fellow staff members recognized by name, I am sure that both the "Julios" will be excited to hear that they impacted your stay in a positive manner, and that Claudias small gesture was recognized. Thank you for taking the time to give so many good recommendations and details about our property, amenities and hotel. I hope that we have the opportunity to be of service to you and your family for many years to come, as I like to tell most of my visiting friends, "the tan will fade, but the memories should last forever". Please feel free to contact us the next time you plan to visit Mazltan.

Reviewed June 20, 2016

Leave your computer at home. Enjoy the beach which is one of the best in Mazatlan. Besides, the wifi is frustratingly slow. If you need to connect, use your smartphone in a public area as the wifi in the rooms is extremely slow, if it is working. There is supposed to be a LAN line in the room, but good luck finding it. Overall, this is a wonderful hotel and I would have awarded it 5 stars except for the wifi issue. The staff is very helpful in every way and they make you feel like a VIP. We plan to be back next year.

Room Tip: Quieter rooms are in the center of the hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2016, traveled as a couple
5  Thank LasVegasTravelnut
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2016

Dear valued guest (LasVegasTravelnut)
Thank you for your comments, we are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Please note that we have rooms in the Deluxe, Suite and above categories that offer in room modems, to facilitate personalized internet access. Please feel free to contact us for further questions in regards to what options are available to you.

Reviewed June 3, 2016

We just spent six days at the Hotel Playa Mazatlan and it was amazing! The hotel staff did everything to make our trip the best and they made us feel like VIP's 24/7. We fell in love with the people and how nice everyone was...Victor and David the bartenders, Claudia who made our eggs each morning, Martin the manager of the buffet staff, Mariano our pool waiter, Pablo our favorite waiter, and especially Lance, the property manager! You couldn't ask for a better group of people!! The rooms are clean, the property is clean, there is a lot to do on the property and in town, and the food is really good. We especially enjoyed the Italian restaurant on property (reservations required). We cannot wait to go back and this time we are taking a lot of friends with us.

• Stayed: May 2016, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ellen9696
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2016

Estimado huésped, (Ellen9696)
We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your experience, getting to meet you guys was a real treat, we will look forward to hosting you again in future and maybe showing around a few more of the restaurants that the city has to offer. Thanks again for believing in us and taking the time to get to see Mazatlan. Let me know next time you are coming in advance so that I can make sure to plan some new adventures for you.
BEst wishes and safe travels,

Reviewed May 31, 2016

i should be called Playa Disneytlan, ration of 9 kids to 1 adult. Everything is geared to children. The five pools are extremely full of people, rules are not enforced, they go inside without showering, barefoot, with street clothes. There are not rules for the restaurants. The quality has deteriorated because of the "all inclusive" packets. People play their own loud music all over, they have Quinceaneras and Weddings until very late in the morning, all the activities are for kids, who run wild and loud all over. The lobby is always crowded with two to three buses of people checking in. It's such a shame that this once luxury hotel has deteriorated to that extreme. We had to change rooms because of the extreme noise two nights in a row. It was impossible to swim. The food in the buffet is good, but it's extremely crowded. They should have a section for adults, but they don't, they gave us the worst room on top of the fiesta salon. As you walk in, you get the impression of being on a town plaza on a holiday, they even have a kareoki in the main lobby, a mechanic bull for kids, and everything around is like being in a crowded mini Disneyland. It's perfect for big families, but not if you're planning to just relax and enjoy the beach.

Room Tip: Never request the middle section, the 300's bedrooms, it's extremely noisy
  • Stayed: May 2016, traveled as a couple
7  Thank dinaherrera

Dear valued guest (dinaherrera)
We appreciate you taking the time to post your comments, I am sad to hear that we were unable to cater to your specific vacation needs, please note that the hotel is primarily geared as a family hotel, but there are various dates in the year when families do not travel that might better suit your needs, please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of service in pinpointing the best times for your preferred type of travel,

Reviewed May 30, 2016 via mobile

A well kept secret and gem. This facility offered an all inclusive experience and I truly had never done one of these before. It was safe, amazing entertainment, shows every night and amenities were brilliant--I will do this again. Made me rethink visiting Hawaii.

Stayed: May 2016, traveled with family

Dear valued guest (Lee B)
I was thrilled in having the opportunity to meet in person and I am touched to read your review and comparison to Hawaii, it is not every day you get to meet such an amazing person, thank you for taking the time to meet, visit and enjoy the facilities, I will look forward to next time and hopefully hearing about your fishing experience.